Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 20
  • tinkerbellsmum
    been shopping today and spent 54 pounds which is about normal but hopefully i have more meals and won't need to go shop again and i even brought snacks so my husband might not go shop either
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 6th Aug 09, 1:22 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    there are a couple of courgette threads here and here
    Originally posted by rosieben

Snap!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• rockie4
    • By rockie4 6th Aug 09, 2:25 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    rockie4
    well funny you should ask....

try these or this

Originally posted by ifonlyitwaseasier
    Ooooo! MrsM's courgette tea bread is an absolute favourite in this house I've even converted courgette haters with it!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Ooooo! MrsM's courgette tea bread is an absolute favourite in this house I've even converted courgette haters with it!
    Originally posted by rockie4
    Me too -and I have hubbies mates making it too
    I made 2 batches yesterday and stuck some chopped preserved ginger in 1 batch -mmmmmmmmmm so I made 3doz buns from the 2 lots and have stuck 2 doz in the freezer ..and ooooh shame I have 2 more courgettes to use -plus more growing
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • helen jelly
    Popped into MrM to get a couple of bits and spent £5 on Milk, Bananas, Yog Tunes, Gingerbread men [off to get a recipe for them], Lemon Viennese Whirls [just can't resist them when they are on offer], Sweets [3 for £1].

Off to update siggy now.
    Took kids to Pizza Hut and they wanted pudding so discussed with them the cost of that against having banana splits at home and the fact that the difference in cost would pay for them to go to Great Yarmouth for the day on a coach trip and then gave them the choice - Great Yarmouth won and I saved about 5-6 puonds and they get the trip!!
    Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 6th Aug 09, 4:19 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,

Only small spend today, popped into mr T's for some large pots to do some jackets. Think I will get big bag later, and do double baked pot's for the freezer, which will give me veriaty when mrs fancies one but doesn't know what sort

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • lollyfin
    • By lollyfin 6th Aug 09, 5:58 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    lollyfin
    Hi all
    a NSD for me today so woohoo
    last night wasn't tho OH decided we had to go to MrTs, can't even remember the reason now, so I bought 8 iced doughnuts (2 packs of 4) 1.50 and 4 cupcake things (reduced to 75p) so I now have 37.75 left until the end of the month and am really annoyed with myself because we have been eating all HM stuff and the bought stuff tasted yuck, I couldn't even eat a whole cupcake just took 1 bite and went gross, the kids haven't even eaten it all yet and that is a big shock
    Remind me not to do that again!!!
    Lollyfin
  • helen jelly
    Lollyfin - so know what you mean about only eating HM now, I will only eat HM bread now - I refuse to pay the prices charged in shops and the taste is nothing compared to HM. This is coming from someone who up until about a month ago tried very very hard NOT to HM anything LOL

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • elf06
    • By elf06 6th Aug 09, 7:06 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Alright so I have only had 2 spends this month but they were for £28.81 and £15.13 (oh and a tiny one of £1.48) so I am not very happy with myself!! My freezer would easily have fed me all month and my cupboards are full to bursting with 'essentials' so I dont really know how I managed to spend so much
    Will need to examine my receipts and try to find out what my downfall is........

In fact can anyone out there try and help me? Heres what I bought

14 mini sausage rolls £1 (wouldnt normally buy)
    fromage frais 97p
    cocktail saus £1 (wouldnt normally buy)
    chicken drumsticks £1.43
    1 kg beef mince £3.75
    mini sav eggs £1 (wouldnt normally buy)
    river cobbler red price £1.35
    cooked ham £1
    cooked chick £1
    cheddar sticks 2 for £2
    red pepper 2 for £1
    par baked baguettes 2 pk 39p
    loose mandarins 49p
    blush pears 70p
    cakes 99p (wouldnt normally buy)
    bread £1.21
    rice pudding 3 for £1
    bananas 45p
    apples 89p
    crumb dressing 55p
    pineapple 57p
    kids choc bars 98p
    2 packs of kids sweets 20p
    little choc sweet 14p
    4 btls flavoured water 99p
    baking pots 68p
    rice vinegar £1.59 (for store cupboard)
    hot dogs 64p
    brown sugar 99p (for store cupboard)
    lemonade £1 (should be out of diff budget for BBQ)
    soy sauce 89p (for store cupboard)
    2 fresh milk £1.72

That was first shop and a few bits I wouldnt normally buy the second shop looks like this

3 rice £3 (should be out of diff budget for BBQ)
    jam £1.29
    porridge oats 99p
    cornflakes 46p
    mayo 53p
    4 btls flavoured water 99p
    shower gel £1
    tuna 78p
    plasters £1.07
    food bags £1.33
    ground almonds 88p
    cat food £4.49

Ok another couple of bits which are from diff budget so I will now update my sig minus these bits and any help would be appreciated!!
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • zoelikesjam
    • By zoelikesjam 6th Aug 09, 7:11 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 5,523 Thanks
    zoelikesjam
    Evening! I've done really well all day! Cooked like a nutter and cleaned to high heaven! Finally this second sat down after feeding DH, DD1 DS and mashing up some leftovers for DD2(she is spoilt hehe)
    and i spent.....ARGH........ £4.99, well, DH did...i sent him to the shop for a bottle of red! Erm, Whooooopsie!
    • cw18
    • By cw18 6th Aug 09, 7:49 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    Today should have been an NSD, but as I felt like a walk I decided to check out the late night clearance sections in our local C00p and new Mr M (first time I've done this in the latter).

Needed sandwich ham for DS before lunch tomorrow - Mr M didn't have any of the cheap stuff left (normally get Mr T's value), and only appear to do the 400g packs (which is too big for us, and DS won't eat the second half if I freeze it for later). But the wafer thin 200g packs are half price, so that was 82p.

Only item left in the meat clearance section was a 400g pack of thinly sliced turkey steaks (something I enjoy) which was reduced from £2.99 to just 29p I'm about to split the pack and chuck them in the freezer.

Bread clearance yielded a multi-grain loaf (in store bakery), reduced from £1.19 to just 19p. So the boys can decimate the HM bread I made yesterday (plain white) while I enjoy this (they won't touch it). (I managed to convince myself to leave the jam donuts that were down to half price)

Also picked up some Qu0rn nuggets. An 18 pack is £1.98, but they're on BOGOF until 16th August I desperately need to shift some weight (for health reasons - ideally about 2.5 stone), but can't afford to buy all the fancy low cal/very lean ingredients I bought when I last shifted weight some 6+ years ago. So, as I'm the only one eats Quorn, I reckon I can get 6 meals from the 2 bags - and they'll make a much healthier option for me (with jacket spuds) when I cook Kiev and (oven) chips for DS. I'm going to check and see how many other meals I may be able to use these as an alternative for me - and then work out if it's worth getting another couple of bags before the offer ends (we only have Kievs once a month).

So a £3.28 spend for me - now just over 19% of the way through the month and less than 5% of the way through my budget
    Cheryl
  • kirstenc
    Hi Guys, NSD for me today, so im chuffed!!

made homemade burgers tonight and they were YUM!! fell apart a little but still looked like burgers which is the main thing!!

Also, i popped this recipe on one of the diaries for someone who had a disaster curry evening, and thought I would share. If you have this or similar Im really sorry, but I love this thing and want to share with the world!!

Im gonna have to go copy and paste so I will be back in a minute!! (should have thought of that :rolleyes
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    24/07/09 present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - £2516.87 £0 credit card - £1210 £0
    TOTAL - £12276.87 £9133.63
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • kirstenc
    OK...Chicken and Potato Curry

1kg Maris Piper potatoes, cut into 2cm pieces (or any other potato in any size!!)
    50ml oil + 1 extra tbsp
    50g butter
    8 skinless chicken thigh fillets (thighs are cheaper than breast)
    2tbsp hot curry powder
    1 onion, chopped
    600ml chicken stock
    3 cloves garlic, crushed (i use the powder)
    Zest and juice of 1 lemon (again cheating is to use a couple tablespoons of the lemon juice from the baking aisle)

1)Boil the potatoes for 5 mins, then drain. Heat the 50ml oil and butter in a roasting tray and fry the potatoes for 10 mins, turning occasionally until golden.
    2. Meanwhile, mix the chicken and curry powder together until evenly coated. Heat the 1tbsp oil and fry the chicken for 5 mins, turning once halfway. (you can keep the thighs whole or chop into smaller pieces)
    3. Add the onion and fry for 3 mins. Stir in the stock, garlic, lemon zest and juice, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the potatoes. Bake for 15 mins until golden.
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    24/07/09 present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - £2516.87 £0 credit card - £1210 £0
    TOTAL - £12276.87 £9133.63
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 6th Aug 09, 9:37 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,542 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent €12.98 today on meat...we seem to be eating a lot of meat these days....total now spent is €87.19 leaving €202.81 for the next 25 days...we will be away for 5 days which really comes from another budget but will try to keep spend as low as possible.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 6th Aug 09, 10:42 PM
    • 7,750 Posts
    • 15,597 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Oops I just realised I haven't posted my budget yet of £150. Already half way through it

Good luck everyone.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 7th Aug 09, 7:27 AM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 34,423 Thanks
    XSpender
    Felt a bit emotional yesterday after an IVF scan allthough everything is OK and on track so ended up spending £2.99 on some sweets and a bag of spuds and then blew £8.90 on a chinese

I am not happy with myself at all

Chicken casserole, roast pots and frozen veg for OH and BIL tonight. The casserole was made from rubber chicken, a half price tin of condensed soup and a few frozen mushrooms, recipe was off the back of the tin. I will have to have the veggie option of quorn sausages and gravy instead!

I always drink decaff earl grey tea but it costs £1.99 for 50 tea bags, even Mr S own brand is the same price as Twinnings. Can anyone recommend a brand of decaff normal tea bags for me to drink instead as I am trying to cut the shopping bill further? Thanks x
    Last edited by XSpender; 07-08-2009 at 7:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to add question about decaff tea
    • wmf
    • By wmf 7th Aug 09, 8:18 AM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 21,637 Thanks
    wmf
    I am all mixed up this month with my spends due to DH and me having had swine flu. The good news is that we haven't gone out while we had it, therefore v cheap living. The bad news is that as he was better first, he bought stuff and I didn't pay any attention. Anyway, I'll have a think about it and kind of round it up as best I can. He was baaaaad though - he bought dark choc h*bnobs!! I haven't been up to making Twinks, but when I do, I'm going to dip them in melted dark chocolate, keep them in the fridge and become addicted to them.

Hope you are all doing well this month. I'm off to read through to motivate myself and see what you have all been up to!
    W
  • WelshWoofer
    Morning all!
    A quick trip to Mr S on the way home yielded a few bargains.
    I picked up the chicken breast and enchilada kit as expected but got a few good whoopsies in the bakery dept too - 2 packs of 2 large naans for 39p (BOGOF even though they were reduced), a pack of finest scones reduced to 49p and a pack of 4 giant rolls for 25p and a value jar of jam for the scones for 39p. Everything except the scones is in the freezer.

Total spend was £6 something reduced to just over £4 by using a Nectar reward - not a bad price for my little haul!

I won't be shopping until Sunday/Monday now as we're both away for the weekend.

Happy shopping/saving!
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 7th Aug 09, 8:32 AM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Morning all,

We're off to Norfolk tomorrow for our hols and I'm taking two meals with us, plus the usual breakfast stuff to tide us over the first few days. Apparently there's a big MrT only 6 miles from where we are staying so we won't starve! Will try to eat out a couple of times though as otherwise I won't get a break at all.

My total looks horrendous. I've allowed us another £50 worth of food whilst we are away. Eating out will come from another budget, so it should be doable. Will have a week left of the GC for August when we get back as our month runs until 22nd.

Hugs to all those that need them, and not only due to the grocery challenge.

Off to collect in 25 (no doubt soaking wet) Avon books now, with two children in tow. Wish me luck.....

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
  • highland fling
    good morning all

thankyou for the recipe for the lemon curd cake. First thing I am going to bake when my new cooker arrives on monday.

Having sister for lunch today but we are only eating up left over salads, breads and cold meats, cheese etc. So absolutely no hassle.

Will probably eat so much at lunch I won't eat dinner but I am planning to make macaroni cheese to send home with sister for her family and save her having to cook when she returns home. Had friend over for lunch yesterday and she brought fresh cream cakes but as I had already made a cheesecake for us it wasn't eaten so will also give these to my sister to take home.
    By the way can I freeze double cream? Have some left from yesterday's lunch and know it will not be used up today.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,295Posts Today

7,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mr_S_David: @MartinSLewis I don?t have a lot, but feel I?m more fortunate than a lot so hit the HAVE button, it?s not rocket science or?

• It's fascinating how some seem almost angry with me for "not defining haves and have-nots." Yet that's not the p? https://t.co/2gC22t7YAJ

• RT @melanie__King: @MartinSLewis ?Haves? to me isn?t financial or materialistic, it?s mainly about freedom of mind, not being oppressed and?

• Follow Martin