Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 4th Aug 09, 10:41 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should Tash split the compensation cash?
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:41 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should Tash split the compensation cash? 4th Aug 09 at 10:41 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Tash split the compensation cash?

Best buds Natasha and Elena decide to visit Las Vegas, so Elena hands over her 300 air fare and Natasha pays the total by credit card. Yet the airline goes into administration and under Section 75 rules Natasha can only reclaim her own fare as Elena’s not family. Elena says she's due half the refund, but Tash thinks not as Elena doesn't even have a credit card so wouldn't been protected either way.

Should Tash split the compensation cash?
    Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 05-08-2009 at 12:03 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • bumpoowee
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:47 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:47 PM
    Yes she should. Ok from a legal point of view she has no obligation to - however to a normal person the way the money is refunded is a technicality. The situation is basically this:

1. two tickets paid for on credit card
    2. half the money is refunded

She wouldn't be much of a friend if she said 'well section 75 of the credit card thingy act says legally only my ticket is covered so i'm keeping all the money'.
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 4th Aug 09, 10:51 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:51 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 10:51 PM
    Whose money covered under section 75?... Natashas
    Who got refund ......Natasha.
    Who does money belong to?...Natasha

Simple really .

• HairY
    • By HairY 4th Aug 09, 11:53 PM
    • 4,926 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    HairY
    • 4th Aug 09, 11:53 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 11:53 PM
    If I was Natasha I would have simply told Elena that the credit card company refused to pay the refund.
    • tomstickland
    • By tomstickland 4th Aug 09, 11:54 PM
    • 18,904 Posts
    • 15,428 Thanks
    tomstickland
    • 4th Aug 09, 11:54 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 11:54 PM
    The honourable thing to do would be to split it.
    Happy chappy
    • WhyIsSavingSoHard
    • By WhyIsSavingSoHard 5th Aug 09, 12:40 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    WhyIsSavingSoHard
    • 5th Aug 09, 12:40 AM
    • 5th Aug 09, 12:40 AM
    I'ld like to think I'd split it if I were Natasha. She risks loosing a friend over it if not and good friends are priceless. Then again, if Natasha doesn't want to split it, what sort of friend is she?
    I'm not supposed to be normal, I'm supposed to be me
    Quidco cash back since May 2010 ~ more than 83.13
    Must remember to use it more, but every little helps
    • tomwakefield
    • By tomwakefield 5th Aug 09, 2:17 AM
    • 7,210 Posts
    • 9,572 Thanks
    tomwakefield
    • 5th Aug 09, 2:17 AM
    • 5th Aug 09, 2:17 AM
    I can see the point about splitting it, but if I was Natasha I'd be cheesed off about it.

If Natasha had paid just for her own ticket, she'd have got a refund of the full amount and not lost anything. Why should she lose the protection of her own money just because she's doing a friend a favour?
    Competition wins: Where's Wally Goody Bag, Club badge branded football, Nivea for Men Goody Bag
  • standland
    • 5th Aug 09, 2:35 AM
    • 5th Aug 09, 2:35 AM
    By using her card to book for her friend Natasha was in effect halving her protection. If she was aware that this was the case then she would give half the refund to her friend as she accepted the lower level of protection and extended some protection to her friend then she should give half the money.

However it is Natasha's money that is refunded not her friends.

My view is that Natasha if she is a good friend should offer half the money to her friend, and her friend if she is also a good one should refuse it on the grounds that she is not entitled to it. Natasha will feel good because she got all her money back and offered half to her friend and her friend will feel good because she did the right thing by not causing her friend to lose out just because she did them a favour.
  • RobotB
    • 5th Aug 09, 7:32 AM
    • 5th Aug 09, 7:32 AM
    Usually when I read these moral dilemmas I have a clear opinion as to what is right and wrong but for once I can see both sides of this argument.It clearly is Natasha's money that is being refunded but friendship should be valued higher than 150.......
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 5th Aug 09, 7:36 AM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    Hmmm, I didn't realise that this was the case. So if I pay for a holiday for me & my OH and the company goes bust, do I only get half the money back? Or does it apply to tickets only as they are booked in individual names?
  • Frenchlady
    I have found myself in similar situations and have always thought that it was the fair thing to do to share the refund. However, guess what, when the boot is on the other foot - do I get a share? Yes you are right I don't. I sometimes think that I am one of the world's biggest mugs - or alternatively I just choose friends badly!!
    • Solomon_Broad
    • By Solomon_Broad 5th Aug 09, 8:21 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Solomon_Broad
    Elena paid cash. Whether she gave that cash to a friend or to the airline doesn't matter. She didn't use a credit card, where you pay fees and interest and such but also get covered, so she shouldn't be entitled to benefit.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 5th Aug 09, 8:48 AM
    • 11,279 Posts
    • 60,507 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Whose money covered under section 75?... Natashas
    Who got refund ......Natasha.
    Who does money belong to?...Natasha

Simple really .
    Originally posted by scotsbob
    Whose money is covered under Section 75? Natasha's
    Who got the refund? Natasha
    Who does the money belong to? legally Natasha, but how long do you expect to keep friends if you discuss the legality of a shared disappointment as a way to try and stiff them out of money that it would seem fair to at least offer them?

Alternatively, why not assume that Elena is a grown up and have Natasha explain the situation, offer the share of the refund and then await Elena's reply. Chances are she'll refuse it as a friend...
    • stuart.pinfold
    • By stuart.pinfold 5th Aug 09, 9:01 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    stuart.pinfold
    Surely the other half of the money could be reclaimed via their travel insurance.

They do both have travel insurance, right?
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 5th Aug 09, 9:01 AM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    Hang on a minute, why are people saying Natasha risks losing a friend over this? If Natasha hadn't paid by credit card, they would have both lost the money. Natasha hasn't done anything that her friend should resent her for, apart from having the good fortune to get her money back. If her friends resent this then maybe they are not proper friends in the first place.

I repeat - Natasha has not done anything wrong.
    • kalaika
    • By kalaika 5th Aug 09, 9:17 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    kalaika
    If they both knew before they booked that only Natasha's money would be protected, then Natasha should keep the refund - that was the risk Elena took. She could have applied for her own card prior to booking the holiday if she wanted the protection as well (subject to decent credit score, blah blah blah.)

If they weren't aware that only one would be covered then, as good friends, it should be split and they should chalk it up to experience. (150 isn't worth losing a good friendship over.)
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 5th Aug 09, 9:51 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 8,638 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    I would split the refund with my friend. I know that, legally, I wouldn't be obliged to, but it'd be incredibly mean not to. Whether or not she'd do the same wouldn't matter to me. Personally, I couldn't stitch up a mate and live with myself.

Either that, or I'd say "Look, I've got this 300 back. Shall we split it, or spend it on a weekend citybreak to Paris or somewhere?"
    • nathanhill69
    • By nathanhill69 5th Aug 09, 10:00 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    nathanhill69
    Anyone saying Natasha should keep the full refund and let Elena take the full loss of 300 really doesn't have a concept of what friendship is all about.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 5th Aug 09, 10:04 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    i would split it if it was me i would rather lose 150 pounds than lose a freind
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • codevolunt
    Split it
    They are best buds! Tash should give her friend 150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,668Posts Today

9,756Users online

Martin's Twitter