Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 4th Aug 09, 12:04 PM
    • 11,686 Posts
    • 128,899 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 4th Aug 09, 12:04 PM
    • 4th Aug 09, 12:04 PM
    That's a remarkable achievement...but great to see the MoneySaving message is reaching more people than ever. Maybe the reason for the new influx is people who have just sat their exams and looking for tips on post grad, student or just finance in general...? Well done to the techies for keeping this place afloat with so many users...
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • neilburchett
    • 5th Aug 09, 5:47 PM
    • 5th Aug 09, 5:47 PM
    I'm not sure how you get to a billion hits? Hits = page views and is shown on google analytics. So you have 68.1 million hits a month.
  • jamesd
    • 10th Aug 09, 3:34 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 3:34 PM
    Has the site reached the point of needing a gigabit pipe to the outbound internet routers to handle the daily peaks yet or is it still able to cope without saturating a 100 megabit link? How do peak page views per second look?

Those are some pretty impressive numbers for a UK site, though low compared to the very biggest global sites, so lots of room to grow yet...
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 10th Aug 09, 4:33 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 10th Aug 09, 4:33 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 4:33 PM
    Has the site reached the point of needing a gigabit pipe to the outbound internet routers to handle the daily peaks yet or is it still able to cope without saturating a 100 megabit link? How do peak page views per second look?

Those are some pretty impressive numbers for a UK site, though low compared to the very biggest global sites, so lots of room to grow yet...
    Originally posted by jamesd
    I must admit Im not sure I know the answer. Partly because we're still rationalising what is hosted where (not everything is in one place). Our main problem is dealing with traffic from the weekly e-mail - a Wed is typically 80% higher traffic than any other day so if we need to go bigger on any day its that.

As for room to grow - I hope so
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 10th Aug 09, 4:36 PM
    • 12,646 Posts
    • 26,389 Thanks
    robpw2
    • 10th Aug 09, 4:36 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 4:36 PM
    well 877999 of those hits were mine ..where were the rest of you ?

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 10th Aug 09, 5:04 PM
    • 11,686 Posts
    • 128,899 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 10th Aug 09, 5:04 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 5:04 PM
    FYI Martin/MSE team, I never get the emails til Friday these days. (I use Hotmail).
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 10th Aug 09, 5:32 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 10th Aug 09, 5:32 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 5:32 PM
    FYI Martin/MSE team, I never get the emails til Friday these days. (I use Hotmail).
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember

We know there are issues with the send to hotmail - it often blocks us - we're working on a fix.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 12th Aug 09, 9:33 AM
    • 11,686 Posts
    • 128,899 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 12th Aug 09, 9:33 AM
    • 12th Aug 09, 9:33 AM
    Seems to have worked; the email hit my inbox this morning in the wee small hours.
    • taka
    • By taka 12th Aug 09, 12:31 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 17,636 Thanks
    taka
    I don't get the email to my yahoo account at all any more despite being registered for it... I think I got it ~ 4 times this year...
    2019 MFW #51 1100.07/1997.77
    MFiT-5 no 45
    MF date Dec 27, Oct 25
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    • SunnySusie
    • By SunnySusie 20th Aug 09, 12:43 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    SunnySusie
    Hit and Page view are synonymous to many. If a site is quoting hits, they mean page views.
  • jamesd
    If a site is quoting hits when they mean page views, those who know the difference will divide by ten or more to try to get some semblance of a page view count.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

695Posts Today

6,590Users online

Martin's Twitter