Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 14
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 3rd Aug 09, 4:27 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    i spent £24 today on a mini shop but £7 was on a tin of milk for bubs so not to bad... that leaves me £54 til a week on saturday should be fine as i dont need anything but milk and bread DD is going away for 2 weeks on thursday so theres a saving to begin with x
    Still searching .....
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 3rd Aug 09, 4:28 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi everyone - just finished catching up with all the posts. It's been a manic few days with DD1 too sick to travel as planned and new arrangements needing to be made (courtesy of the bank of mum and dad!). Anyhow, she is safely in Germany and now I have to clear up all the stuff she las left behind!

The change in plans meant a lot of juggling with menus and so I have already spent quite a lot of this month's budget. However we are away for a long weekend next weekend and I have enough meat in the freezer for at least the next three weeks I hope ( or I will have when the Sainsbury's delivery come tomorrow morning). We had super frugal lunch of soup made from the leftover sauce from a lamb and tomato casserole - I just added some extra tomato puree and a dollop of creme fraiche and it was lush! Had this with hm bread rolls and DH thought he had died and gone to heaven!

Dinner tonight is sliced beef leftover from a pot roast last week (done in the SC). I sliced the meat and froze it - now I am going to reheat in gravy and serve with mash and broccoli. It's comfort food - needed in this gloomy weather - still at least it isn't raining yet!

I am constantly amazed at how little some of you manage on and wish I could be better at cutting my budget - but I still seem to hover round the £300 mark. I must try harder!

I did a big online shop this month to use a voucher to get money off but I never seem to get the right amount of stuff when I shop online so I am not sure it is saving me much. I am much better when I see the food on the shelf and can judge amounts better then too. Is it just my age?

Off to cook tea. Have a good evening everyone.

Moniker
  • Raini
    Hello All! Sorry I'm a little late! Would like to declare £120 for August, £30 per week.

Although I would love to do less than this actually!!
    :rolleyes:
    Mortgage: Jun 08 £155300~Repayment Made: £4300~Remaining: Mar 10 £151000
    DFW Nerd 1190
  • JayJay14
    Nipped out in my lunch hour to the cash and carry to get bacon - £7.65 for 5lb pack, treated myself to a can of diet coke while I was there but didn't spend anything else.

Sig updated - now off to decide what my migraine fueled brain can rustle up for dinner.
    Last edited by JayJay14; 03-08-2009 at 5:19 PM.
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 3rd Aug 09, 4:57 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    £1.49 spent today as I was rushing to get to work early to print off my meal plan and forgot to take the sodding bacon out of the freezer, so rip-off bacon from the corner shop for me!
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, £100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 3rd Aug 09, 6:02 PM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 12,909 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    £8.04 spent in Asda on milk 2 x 4 pints, paracetamol, vitamins (OH has a cold) 2 x (whoopsied) veg korma ready meals for OH to have for dinners at work. Also went to the local farm shop for local honey £6 a jar, didn't buy any, its was £3 a jar about 2 months ago. I was hoping to buy a pie as well but they only do them at christmas, whats that about. The up side of this is didn't spend any money in the farm shop. As no pie I was unsure what to have for dinner asked DS (4) he suggested eggs & beans, good suggestion everything in stock and easy to cook, luckily as I think I'm getting OH's cold
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening all

Well another NSD under my belt -so thats 8 out of a possible 9
    I helped my neighbour out by whipping up a choc mousse for a dinner she is doing -she dropped all the ingredients off and I whacked it together and when it was poured into the glasses there was too much -so she told me to use it up -so I have just had a bit of it after our pasta salad -*god was it sweet* -even I struggled to finish it -the other portion is in the fridge -She then came dashing round to ask if I could help as she was trying to make salsa -so I got that sorted -we were about to make the guacamole -but she had seriously under ripe avocados -luckily she had a jar or ready made in the fridge -and was going to throw the avocados away -so Im now the proud owner of 4 huge avocados -and as they are one of my fave foods Im very
    Still looking like we shouldn't need anything before Friday -and then it should be potatoes, milk, and possibly lettuce .....
    Im still trying to get some bits used out of the freezer -and another 2 portions of beans have gone in today ... so tomorrow may be the 2 chicken/courgette slices I made and froze last week, with steamed potatoes, carrots and some more beans from the garden.
    Hope everyone is doing well...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 3rd Aug 09, 6:35 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys

Noticed Lidl's have mozzerella cheese fo 27p, can you freeze as it is:confused:

Will look on menu list as I only used it in pasta dishes and seems like too good a bargain to miss.

They also go pitzza's back on for a £1.oo so got some for DS.

Still had a NSD as not out of my budget

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there Herewego

yup -I just throw mozarella in the freezer as it is and its just fine -I think the liquid helps protect it ....
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 3rd Aug 09, 7:35 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,542 Thanks
    meanmarie
    3 NSDs so far....just as well having spent so much on last day of July....also have ham, chicken and beef leftovers to do for the restof the week...at least, think that I will freeze the ham to make 2 dinners next week.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 3rd Aug 09, 7:45 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Just realised theres no instructions for this one - please can you tell me the method. Want to try but not really sure what I should do!!
    Originally posted by elf06
    Sorry about that didnt realise.

Okay shortcrust pastry

Cornflake tart:-
    Base just shortcrust pastry
    Mix half fat to flour, so 4oz of marg to 8oz of plain flour. Crumble till it looks like bread crumbs.
    Add in extremely cold water a little at a time till it starts to bind together and try to shape it into a ball.
    Place in a and let it chill in the fridge for about 30 mins or till your ready to use it.

For the filling:
    175g seedless raspberry jam
    50g butter / margarine
    50g caster sugar / granulated
    2tbsp golden syrup
    175g cornflakes

Bake the pastry in the oven till cooked
    While the pastry is cooking make the batter by mixing margarine, sugar together till its looks fluffy.
    Remove pastry, place the batter on top followed by golden syrup, then place the jam on top then the cornflakes.
    Place back into the oven gas mark 5 till the cornflakes look golden brown about 20ish minutes
    Serve hot or cold.
    Hiya guys
    Noticed Lidl's have mozzerella cheese fo 27p, can you freeze as it is:confused:HWGA xx
    Originally posted by Herewegoagain
    Yes you can freeze mozzarella i do it all the time.

Kids had they teas at my sisters house so just had jam and toast for supper. Right off to get the boys to bed and start on Leto's cushion.
  • Notjusta Mum
    Hi Mrs M, please could I join this challenge, I have dipped in and out for a while but the food bill has been ridiculous lately!
    Please put me down for £300 this is for 2 adults and 3 teenagers plus their friends who join us at short notice! I would like to do better than this in the long run but spend about £500 at the moment.
  • kirstenc
    Hi guys, got my first shop in today, total cost of £27.41 plus £9 for the taxi! under budget but still...I hate having to pay for transport!!

I am determined to grow the stuff that weighs the most...would get the bus that way and be saving money all over the place! any tips for starting to grow my own veg??

anyway, couple of the bargains include iceberg lettuce for 15p, and my cooking bacon for £1.13, tons of it!!

Im off to update my sig, and try to find ways of cutting down on the travelling money!
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    24/07/09 present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - £2516.87 £0 credit card - £1210 £0
    TOTAL - £12276.87 £9133.63
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
    • elf06
    • By elf06 3rd Aug 09, 8:29 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Sorry about that didnt realise.

Okay shortcrust pastry

Cornflake tart:-
    Base just shortcrust pastry
    Mix half fat to flour, so 4oz of marg to 8oz of plain flour. Crumble till it looks like bread crumbs.
    Add in extremely cold water a little at a time till it starts to bind together and try to shape it into a ball.
    Place in a and let it chill in the fridge for about 30 mins or till your ready to use it.

For the filling:
    175g seedless raspberry jam
    50g butter / margarine
    50g caster sugar / granulated
    2tbsp golden syrup
    175g cornflakes

Bake the pastry in the oven till cooked
    While the pastry is cooking make the batter by mixing margarine, sugar together till its looks fluffy.
    Remove pastry, place the batter on top followed by golden syrup, then place the jam on top then the cornflakes.
    Place back into the oven gas mark 5 till the cornflakes look golden brown about 20ish minutes
    Serve hot or cold.

Originally posted by kezlou
    Brill thanks - I am ok with the pastry just wasnt sure what to do with the filling
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • TheBees
    Evening everyone

Tonight for tea we had risotto with some leftover cooked chicken from a roast that I'd frozen, some chopped bacon, leftover green beans chopped up small (grown in our garden), spring onions (from the garden) and a tiny courgette also from the garden! DD12 cooked it which was nice for a change.

This is the first year I've had a go at growing veg and yesterday I picked two huge tubs full of french beans which I've blanched and frozen along with some broccoli that I've grown too. The tomatoes are still green but we've got loads of carrots, parsnips and lettuces growing well. If you've never grown veg before I'd encourage everyone to have a go as it's saving us lots of money so far.

The freezer's starting to look bare and goodness knows what I'm going to do for our evening meal tomorrow. Probably leftovers with everyone having something different!

Good luck everyone.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 3rd Aug 09, 9:35 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 10,126 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Anyway, not much to say, except that I'm going to a pampered cheF party tomorrow - has anyone tried/got any products? Website has horrendously expensive products, but you have to buy something don't you? Was thinking of the oil mister as I don't have one, but think it would come in handy.
    xx
    Originally posted by Coxy11
    Used to be a Pampered Chef Consultant, love the product but I agree some are very expensive! I will say the Stoneware is fab though, it's all I use (I earned mine..)

My very first purchase was the corn on the cob knobs.. fab inventions ( I have noticed this week that lakeland do some very similar and probably cheaper)
    That and the recepie book (small one) are good too, very adaptable!
    x Hope that helps Coxy!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 2 JUNE GC £170/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
  • Honey39
    Well, I had my first internet/online shop of the month yesterday, which came to £53.43. It wasn't great, but it *does* include a lot of extra stuff like moisturiser, conditioner, washing powder etc. My full list is as follows:
    • 1 Burgen Soya And Linseed Bread 800g £1.11
    • 1 Punnet Apricots Each£1.49
    • Green Seedless Grapes 500g Pack Each £1.00
    • Tesco Sweet Celery Hearts Each £0.64
    • 1Red Peppers Loose Each Class 1 Each£0.60
    • Courgettes Loose Class 1 £0.35
    • 1Loose Red Onions Class 2£0.211
    • Tesco Jalapeno & Red Pepper Houmous 200g £1.14
    • 1Tesco Celery Fruit Nutsalad 300g £1.09
    • 1Tesco Black & Green Olives With Feta 100g 1.19
    • 1Tesco Finest Potato Salad 275g Each £1.09
    • 1Tesco Salad Selection 400g X£1.00
    • Unwashed Rocket Salad 60g £0.69
    • 1Tesco Chicken & Sweetcorn Sandwich Filler 250g £1.31
    • Grated Parmesan Cheese 50g £0.85
    • Rowan Glen Biological Low Fat Scottish Natural Yoghurt £0.20
    • 1Finest Chicken Chasseur 400g £4.00
    • Tesco Finest Red Cabbage And Apple 300g £2.69
    • Tesco Finest Red Thai Chicken Curry 375g £3.75
    • 2Batchelors Cup A Soup Special Mushroom Granules 4s £2.52
    • 1Tesco Uht Skim Milk 500ml 0.44
    • 1Encona Thai Sweet Chili Sauce 142ml£0.85
    • 1Innocent P / Apple Banana & Coconutsmoothie 1 Litre £2.96
    • 1Marques De Leon White Wine 75cl £2.83
    • Ibuprofen 200mg 16 Caplets £0.32
    • Paracetamol 500mg 16 Caplets £0.20
    • Tea Tree Conditioner 500ml £0.99
    • Large Cotton Wool Padsdouble Faced 50 £0.60
    • L'oreal Dermo Exgentle Eye Make Up Remover 125ml £2.19
    • Dove Body Silk 300ml £4.63
    • Silk & Delicateshandwash £1.03
    • Tesco Value Food Bags 50's £0.30
    • Tesco Value Batteries Aaa 4pk £0.70
    • Cream Napkins 33cm 50pk £0.74
    • Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream 125g £2.49
    I know that seems high, but there is a lot of non-food stuff in there as well. I have a rule that I try not to do any other shopping during the week, although I might do a little light shopping at the weekend for something nice for tea. I try to buy all my toiletries and cleaning supplies and booze online as well in this shop. This will also provide all my lunches for the week as well.

Happy for any tips - there is a lot of expensive food in there, but I am trying to eat healthily as well, and lose weight. Yikes!

Great thread, am really enjoying this challenge.
    • elf06
    • By elf06 4th Aug 09, 6:22 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    NDS for me yesterday so pleased with that and just need to do a little shop tonight for bits and pieces like salad, milk, food bags, plasters and other little annoying things! Shouldnt be too much (I hope). Also did a freezer inventory last night (whilst defrosting and cleaning out freezer) and I have enough in there to do me nearly a month - providing I only eat sausage dishes and mince dishes
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • misscreditcrunch
    Hi, I need to re-join grocery challenge!!!!!!!!!! have failed miserably in the past and have been way to busy to even look on here for months. We have a household of 9 people at present plus one dog! (and any one else that happens to land on the doorstep and require feeding) i am desperate for some help and advice from all you money savings experts on how to feed everyone healthy foods without spending too much money!!
    • barneydee
    • By barneydee 4th Aug 09, 6:44 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    barneydee
    Hi Xspender you mentioned that you made a lemon curd cake can you post the details on here as it sounds Lush and i would like to have a go making it. Well an other week until payday yesturday i had to hunt around to find enough to get my ouster card topped up so i could get to work, hubby did a small shop £13.44 i am keeping a weekly spreed sheet so i can see where we are wasting money i.e. booze, toilertries, mags(my Downful),cat food(5 cats plus a few strays) we have got this down to £32.00 a month how much do you spend on cat food, can i do it cheaper? well must dash got to go to work

Dee
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,555Posts Today

8,094Users online

Martin's Twitter