Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 13
  • babyhead
    I haven't spent anymore since my shop.

BUT I realised yesterday that i have to get DS birthday party food out of this budget too for 21 people I think i better starting doing some research.......
    DFW Nerd #1152
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 3rd Aug 09, 9:41 AM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    well i have to spend today i have no milk or bread amongst other things but ive made a list and im not going over it (she says with fingers crossed as DD is coming as well) ... shall update when i get back from town x
    Still searching .....
  • Trinny
    Please put me on the list
    Hello

I seem to have disappeared from the monthly list for the grocery challenge

Please put me back on. I have posted my total for the month already

Its in my signature

Thanks

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May 39.47/55. June 47.20/50. July 38.44/50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
  • Phoolgrrrl
    do meals out count in budget? or take aways
    Originally posted by tinkerbellsmum
    I have a seperate budget for going out which includes meals take aways and nights out. I use GC for food and cleaning stuff.

Did butcher shop on sat, 9.67 for 400g mince, a chicken which will be stretched to 3 meals, 2 lunches and stock, and 2 giant chicken breasts which will do 3 dinners

OH off to Mr t tonight with a list so should stick to it.

Have had an OS triumph! We had veg that needed used so I 'suggessted' grating carrot into a lasagne, OH thought it tasted good and we should do it more as it's a really good idea. At last
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 3rd Aug 09, 10:19 AM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 13,538 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    do meals out count in budget? or take aways
    Originally posted by tinkerbellsmum
    We include them. But its up to each person what they include in Grocery Challenge. I may change this when I next review the budgets and reduce the GC budget accordingly
  • helen jelly
    Hi

Went to MrA to get a couple of bits and spent 27!

Got the bread mix that Philsmum mentioned but it says its a 2lb loaf size and my BM goes to 1.5lb so I'm going to take some of the mix out and keep my fingers crossed for that perfect result.

Have a good day everyone
    Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • Lemon_Verbena
    Will catch up on this thread later today, we've had piggy flu here followed by no internet connection because of a damaged cable grrr, so I have a lot to catch up on.

Mrs M can I declare 281.08 for July and please put me down for 295.00 for August, ta muchly Have decided to decrease a little, I get the leftovers from July to add to my decorating budget, definitely makes me want to keep on track, although I'm surprised I did it!

LV x
    Grocery Challenge : August 09 295.00 194.23, July 09 300.00 281.08
    • cw18
    • By cw18 3rd Aug 09, 11:13 AM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    Got the bread mix that Philsmum mentioned but it says its a 2lb loaf size and my BM goes to 1.5lb so I'm going to take some of the mix out and keep my fingers crossed for that perfect result.
    Originally posted by helen jelly
    Thanks for the further info - probably not worth me making a special trip then as my machine does 2.5lb or 3lb, so I'd have to use more than 1 per loaf and I don't think that would really work out any cheaper than my current individual ingredients :confused:

However, I made a 2.5lb loaf yesterday and it's very hard to cut (as much because of the height as the holes from the paddles) - plus it's disappearing at an incredible rate of knots If I can work out how to use the machine for 'dough only' for the 3lb size (I assume it's likely to have this function, but need to explore) and then split it between 3x1lb loaf tins and bang them into my oven, can anyone advise what I need to do once I take the dough out of the machine please? I assume they'd need another rise once in the tins, as splitting and knocking into shape to get it into the tins is likely to cause it to drop :confused: And how long would I cook them at what temperature?
    Cheryl
  • firstyearisthehardest
    well is somehow spent over 200 in July but am determined to do it this month!! Please put me down for 170 this month please!!

Anyone tried the pampers simply dry budget range?
    Clare

Aug Grocery Challenge 159.45/150
    Aug 5 a day 103.94/155
    Tempus Fugit
  • tinkerbellsmum
    thanks all
    i think i best count it in my budget cause we eat out have t/a far to often and i think thats why we r wasting food plus my waist line could do with out it.
    i'm not doing well this month so far have already spent 25 pounds and not going shopping till thursday
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 3rd Aug 09, 11:31 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Pretty purleeeeees can the recipes for these things - they sound delish
    Originally posted by elf06
    Here are the recipes for you:-
    Twinks hobnobs:- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5392570#post5392570

Mrs M's Lemon cakes:- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=23736749#post23736749

Cornflake tart:-
    Base just shortcrust pastry
    For the filling:
    175g seedless raspberry jam
    50g butter
    50g caster sugar
    2tbsp golden syrup
    175g cornflakes

Chocolate concrete
    100g margarine
    2 eggs
    100g cocoa powder
    1 lb self raising flour
    100g sugar

melt the margarine and sugar and mix well till it goes syrupy
    add flour and cocoa to the syrup on the pan mix well until its becomes stiff .
    add two beaten eggs and gently mix them in until your mix softens.
    place the mixture into the tray, press into the corners and flatten into the sides of the tin.
    Please in the oven (gas mark 5)and leave for about 30-45 minutes. If the top feel hard take it out to cool. Cut up into slices as when its cool its quite hard to cut. It should be hard on top and moist in the middle.

Flying Fresian:- Mushrooms:- just chop up and freeze, then when you want to cook them just put straight into the pan, no need to defrost.

Very proud of myself finished both of the large cushions for the bench so not now just need to put the arms on it then we'll have a lovely pine bench

Going to make Leto (DS2) a little cushion as he's feeling a bit left out because of Brandon (DS1) getting his room done.
    Have to buy toothpaste etc at some point today so will update signature when that's done.

well off to make salad.
  • helen jelly
    CW18 - my BM instructions say that after you have used the "dough" setting You have to............

1. Knead and shape the dough into rolls
    2. Place on a greased baking tray
    3. Brush lightly with melted butter
    4. Cover for about 20-25 mins
    5. Allow to rise until double in size and glaze
    6. Bake for about 15-20 mins at 190 degrees cent.

Hope that helps

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • cw18
    • By cw18 3rd Aug 09, 11:49 AM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    Thanks Helen. I guess a loaf would need longer cooking time though :confused:
    Cheryl
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 3rd Aug 09, 11:59 AM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 27,347 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Grrr - just lost a large post as I was interrupted by a phone call from DH 95 yr old grandma - don't all go AAAHHH - think more Nan from Catherine Tate show than sweet ol' lady.

Anyway, not much to say, except that I'm going to a pampered cheF party tomorrow - has anyone tried/got any products? Website has horrendously expensive products, but you have to buy something don't you? Was thinking of the oil mister as I don't have one, but think it would come in handy.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Trinny

You are allready on the list on the front page :confused:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • elf06
    • By elf06 3rd Aug 09, 12:23 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Here are the recipes for you:-
    Twinks hobnobs:- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5392570#post5392570

Mrs M's Lemon cakes:- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=23736749#post23736749

For the filling:
    50g butter
    50g caster sugar
    2tbsp golden syrup
    175g cornflakes

Chocolate concrete
    100g margarine
    2 eggs
    100g cocoa powder
    1 lb self raising flour
    100g sugar

melt the margarine and sugar and mix well till it goes syrupy
    add flour and cocoa to the syrup on the pan mix well until its becomes stiff .
    add two beaten eggs and gently mix them in until your mix softens.
    place the mixture into the tray, press into the corners and flatten into the sides of the tin.
    Please in the oven (gas mark 5)and leave for about 30-45 minutes. If the top feel hard take it out to cool. Cut up into slices as when its cool its quite hard to cut. It should be hard on top and moist in the middle.

Flying Fresian:- Mushrooms:- just chop up and freeze, then when you want to cook them just put straight into the pan, no need to defrost.

Very proud of myself finished both of the large cushions for the bench so not now just need to put the arms on it then we'll have a lovely pine bench

Going to make Leto (DS2) a little cushion as he's feeling a bit left out because of Brandon (DS1) getting his room done.
    Have to buy toothpaste etc at some point today so will update signature when that's done.

well off to make salad.
    Originally posted by kezlou
    Thank you thank you thank you xxx
    Emma

Aug GC - 88.17/130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • rosieben
    ... Used some more Courgettes last night in this Courgette Pie, http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=66554&highlight=courgette&page=1 7 Rosieben - there was a link for it on the front Recipe page but I think it got lost when this Recipe was merged with another existing Thread on Courgettes, can you work your magic to fix it? ... .
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    all done, thanks for pointing out the broken link
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • elf06
    • By elf06 3rd Aug 09, 3:18 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    For the filling:
    50g butter
    50g caster sugar
    2tbsp golden syrup
    175g cornflakes

Originally posted by kezlou
    Just realised theres no instructions for this one - please can you tell me the method. Want to try but not really sure what I should do!!
    Emma

Aug GC - 88.17/130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • dizzycow
    Phew!! finally caught up with thread, must stay on top this month - always feel really enthusiastic after reading all the tips etc. Have really slipped the last few months but must stick to budget this month - we are going to stay with M&FIL in a few weeks & really want any spare cash for days out with this kids. So.... budget for August is 300. Have already spent 96 of this so will have to be very careful!!!
    Me, DH, DS(6), DS(2)
    Feb Grocery challenge 322.98/300
    Aug Grocery challenge 109.86/300
    • taka
    • By taka 3rd Aug 09, 3:35 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 17,636 Thanks
    taka
    So far I've spent the grand total of 42p in August! I'm trying not to set foot in the shops this week! Lets see how long that lasts... :rolleyes:
    2019 MFW #51 1100.07/1997.77
    MFiT-5 no 45
    MF date Dec 27, Oct 25
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

615Posts Today

5,914Users online

Martin's Twitter