Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Edinburghlass
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:08 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:08 PM
    Looking good Martin and the Team, and especially for this...

including disability access

• Mumstheword
    • By Mumstheword 26th Jun 06, 6:13 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Mumstheword
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:13 PM
    Looks good!
    One of the problems I have found with the current home page, is that, although I had got used to it, when I recommended it to friends they found it hard to navigate.
    The new one looks tonnes better, far more user friendly!

Good work, team!
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
  • khizman
    good, its all *there* without scrolling around
  • brranger
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:15 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:15 PM
    ain't it bright will take some getting used to as all the buttons on the other side however think its great, looks alot more expensive and we will miss your head on teh changing pictures Martin.

Ranger
    Thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel....Then got hit by a train!
    Lightbulb Feb 2006
    Debt free Nov 2011
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Jun 06, 6:17 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:17 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:17 PM
    Good spot ranger - I just asked the techie team - "how will you change my image in the new one" - thats a tradition now - i dont want to lose it - its fun - though sometimes embarassing what they do to me!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • iwanttosave
    • By iwanttosave 26th Jun 06, 6:20 PM
    • 32,245 Posts
    • 23,299 Thanks
    iwanttosave
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:20 PM
    Ere you cold have made the forum button a bit bigger I would have prefered pink as well. But we cant all be perfect :rolleyes:

Well done guys, looks great
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Quackers
    ooooooo, isn't it different.

I like it.

bold & beautiful

Its much bolder & seems as though it will be nice and easy to use.

I like the buttons which say 'what is money saving & where do I start - much more prominent than the current 'what is moneysaving'.

Nice colours too.

aren't I easily pleased
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
    • Mumstheword
    • By Mumstheword 26th Jun 06, 6:33 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Mumstheword
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:33 PM
    • 26th Jun 06, 6:33 PM
    I just asked the techie team
    by MSE Martin
    At this time of the evening!!

I've just been reading the new poll started by Andrea about how important your holidays from work are to you....... is there something going on at Moneysaving Towers? First a poll on holidays, then staff working into the evening!!
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
    • iwanttosave
    • By iwanttosave 26th Jun 06, 6:35 PM
    • 32,245 Posts
    • 23,299 Thanks
    iwanttosave
    At this time of the evening!!

I've just been reading the new poll started by Andrea about how important your holidays from work are to you....... is there something going on at Moneysaving Towers? First a poll on holidays, then staff working into the evening!!
    by Mumstheword
    Slave labour, you find it where you least expect it

Tut, tut Martin
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
    • sra
    • By sra 26th Jun 06, 6:37 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    sra
    Hmm

I didn't like it at first but when I blew up the image it looked ok. Have to see if it grows on me.

First thought:

I can't remember the last time I saw 'Chat' refer to a forum. If I were new I would expect that button to open a flash chat room where people where people were chatting about nothing much to pass the time - not a place as useful as this

. it should really be 'Forum' or 'Community'
    • Nile
    • By Nile 26th Jun 06, 6:46 PM
    • 14,406 Posts
    • 14,378 Thanks
    Nile
    Hmm

I didn't like it at first but when I blew up the image it looked ok. Have to see if it grows on me.

First thought:

I can't remember the last time I saw 'Chat' refer to a forum. If I were new I would expect that button to open a flash chat room where people where people were chatting about nothing much to pass the time - not a place as useful as this

by sra
    I agree with the name change too (Community Forum sounds better than Chat)............I have mentioned it before.

I'm sure the changes will be great. I'd like to see a button (to help newbies) to take you to the 'Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)' thread by sra.

It might help to encourage more lurkers to become members.

Well done MSE Team.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • wolfman
    • By wolfman 26th Jun 06, 6:47 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    wolfman
    Hmmm... yeah looks a little "busy" for my liking, almost too much for the eye to take in. I'll have to wait and see how the finished product looks. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I agree with Sra about the "Chat" link. Forum or Community would be much more intuitive.

The Navigation certainly looks much better.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
    • doublekite
    • By doublekite 26th Jun 06, 6:56 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    doublekite
    Still too much stuff at the top. I would like to be able to access some of the posts, at least, without having to scroll.
    • savvy
    • By savvy 26th Jun 06, 7:19 PM
    • 30,131 Posts
    • 46,709 Thanks
    savvy
    Hmm

First thought:

by sra
    I agree on both points there sra, from my first tiny preview, it reminded me of one of those cheap looking ringtone adverts you get in the backs of magazines etc...................a bit garrish

Is the blue for disability purposes? I personally prefer the green strap as it's subtly synonymous to money and less garrish
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

• sra
    • By sra 26th Jun 06, 7:34 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    sra
    Ok I've had time to look at it for a while now.

All given trying to be as constructive as possible - I know a lot of work went into it -

The whole 'Warning' section just makes me not want to be on the page. I've never liked the current one we have or the 'Alert' button. I'm 10 times more likely to give my email address to a site that discreetly asks for my address with a link showing me what I'll get - rather than one that shots out "Quick gimme your address!!".

Shouty request for my address = I think I'll get shouty, annoying emails

Not liking the long regiment of blue triangles. How about ickle phone symbols or house symbols etc. to represent the story?

It would also be good to pick out a couple of stories and put a bit more detail about them on the front page with a matching graphic rather than just have it as basically an index.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 26th Jun 06, 7:57 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,688 Thanks
    Floss
    I think it looks a lot more professional - and has the sleek look of other help & support sites. It has lost the "kitchen table" air it once had!

Thanks to all of those involved - you've done good!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Jun 06, 9:06 PM
    • 63,658 Posts
    • 282,110 Thanks
    beanielou
    Think it looks great & i also welcome the changes that have been made so that more people can access the site.
    Think thats also why there is more emphsis on the green but dont quote me.
    Thanks to everyone for all their hard work.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Dora the Explorer
    Looking good Martin and the Team, and especially for this...

including disability access

by Edinburghlass
    If disability access has been improved why not go for the RNIB 'seal of approval' ? I'm not sure if there actually is one :confused:
    And when you upgrade to sound as well - don't forget I'm as deaf as a post
    • rizla01
    • By rizla01 26th Jun 06, 10:08 PM
    • 6,868 Posts
    • 7,480 Thanks
    rizla01
    And there appears to be a lot of articles about saving money on phones and little else!

Seriously tho, I did think of 'THE SUN' when I first viewed it.
    (Different colours but same 'In yer face' appearance).

Then I thought 'Thompsons Holiday Brochure'

Not very sophisticated looking.

The layouts good but why all the colour?
    Last edited by rizla01; 26-06-2006 at 10:14 PM.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

2,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin