Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 6
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 30th Jul 09, 5:34 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Evening all!

I made my first trip to Aldi today - a new one opened near us last month and I haven't had a chance to go. I had heard of their "Super 6" veg and wanted to investigate.

So, courtesy of this little trip, I now have the following:

Tomato puree 35p
    Tissues (Pretty box of, for my desk at work) 67p
    Red Leicester cheese £2.04
    Apple juice (6 little cartons for lunches) 99p
    Peppers (3 in a pack) x 3 packs @ 49p each = £1.47
    Eggs (10 large) 99p (!)
    Grapes 49p
    Broccoli 63p
    New potatoes (1.5kg!) 49p (!!!!)

Now, obviously the peppers, potatoes and grapes are on offer this month, but the prices still looked pretty good to me, and hopefully the quality isn't awful. I think I may become a regular there for some staples althrough the Super 6 for August doesn't excite me!!

I was planning on chopping up the peppers and freezing them in bags (and going back on Saturday for more!) - I haven't done this before. Do I have to do anything prior to freezing them or can I just chuck them in a bag?

Anyway, off to update my signature again!!
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, £100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 30th Jul 09, 6:22 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Well I have now spent £43.45 out of my £100 monthly budget but have now paid for all my Veg bags for the month so I am guaranteed fresh fruit and veg all month . I also have my freezer stuff, meat and household, just need to get my dairy and beauty and I'll be all set (can anyone see a pattern to my spending? Loving the Mail mocs) Oh and the bleeding cat food - mustn't forget him.

Hoping to get the rest of stuff and finish my total at £50 - leaving £10 a week for random stuff and the occasional bottle of wine

Have to admit that I couldn't be this on target without my coupons - I love them sooooo much.
    House bought - now to clear the mortgage
    • taka
    • By taka 30th Jul 09, 6:33 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 17,358 Thanks
    taka
    Evening all!

I made my first trip to Aldi today - a new one opened near us last month and I haven't had a chance to go. I had heard of their "Super 6" veg and wanted to investigate.

So, courtesy of this little trip, I now have the following:

Tomato puree 35p
    Tissues (Pretty box of, for my desk at work) 67p
    Red Leicester cheese £2.04
    Apple juice (6 little cartons for lunches) 99p
    Peppers (3 in a pack) x 3 packs @ 49p each = £1.47
    Eggs (10 large) 99p (!)
    Grapes 49p
    Broccoli 63p
    New potatoes (1.5kg!) 49p (!!!!)

Now, obviously the peppers, potatoes and grapes are on offer this month, but the prices still looked pretty good to me, and hopefully the quality isn't awful. I think I may become a regular there for some staples althrough the Super 6 for August doesn't excite me!!

I was planning on chopping up the peppers and freezing them in bags (and going back on Saturday for more!) - I haven't done this before. Do I have to do anything prior to freezing them or can I just chuck them in a bag?

Anyway, off to update my signature again!!
    Originally posted by flying_fresian
    You must live near me (unless there is more than one Aldi recently opened in Edinburgh :confused! I live ~10-15 mins walk from there!

What are the Aug super6? Its not on their website yet.

For the peppers just chop + freeze. You may want to freeze them flat so they don't stick together or bag them and give them a good shake a couple of times while they are freezing to stop having a big frozen lump of finely chopped peppers...
    2019 MFW #51 £364.10/£500
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 30th Jul 09, 6:38 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    You must live near me (unless there is more than one Aldi recently opened in Edinburgh :confused! I live ~10-15 mins walk from there!
    Originally posted by taka
    *waves*

I live up near the prison (Classy!)

Super6 are going to be active as of Monday:

Avocado
    Gem lettuce (2 in pack I think)
    Cucumber
    Tomatos
    Mango
    Celery

All are going to be 29p according to the thread below:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1848653
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, £100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • taka
    • By taka 30th Jul 09, 7:24 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 17,358 Thanks
    taka
    *waves*

I live up near the prison (Classy!)

Super6 are going to be active as of Monday:

Avocado
    Gem lettuce (2 in pack I think)
    Cucumber
    Tomatos
    Mango
    Celery

All are going to be 29p according to the thread below:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1848653
    Originally posted by flying_fresian
    I'm close to a certain large stadium!

Hmmm don't like the look of them much either... Poo... Lettuce/cucumbers are ok but thats about it for me. I've been enjoying loads of the fruit from there for the last 2 months so I'll definitely miss that.

I've never bought a fresh mango (its always seemed too expensive) . How do you tell if its ripe? Its still not a portable size for my lunchbox though... I may have to stock up on fruit tomorrow instead of Saturday!
    2019 MFW #51 £364.10/£500
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 30th Jul 09, 8:09 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    just out of interest, for those of you that batch cook and freeze, what storage containers would you recommend?

Once I have made some room in the freezer, I hope to do some batch cooking and freeze some yummy meals.

Also, I have never cooked with a slow cooker in my life, is it a must have item? (there is one I can borrow so I could trial it for free.....)

• mooomin
    • By mooomin 30th Jul 09, 8:18 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    just out of interest, for those of you that batch cook and freeze, what storage containers would you recommend?

Once I have made some room in the freezer, I hope to do some batch cooking and freeze some yummy meals.

Also, I have never cooked with a slow cooker in my life, is it a must have item? (there is one I can borrow so I could trial it for free.....)
    Originally posted by Flat Eric
    I use small plastic tubs - but have also frozen sauces etc in freezer bags within plastic boxes. Once they are frozen I remove them from the tub which frees up more space. They always leak when you defrost though, so thaw them out on a plate!

I didn't see much point in my slow cooker but use it once a week now! I make chilli and stews in mine, as I haven't tried soups yet. I also use it to cook cheap cuts of lamb etc as it makes the meat so tender it's divine. Experiment with it and see how you get on - some people love them and some people loath them.
    Comping again

• Julimk
    I have been batch cooking & freezing in individual portions way before GC. Mostly I use MrT ‘value’ plastic tubs. MrT used to sell ‘take-away’ style tubs but they haven’t had them for ages, but if you have any old ones from previous take-aways they work well. Others use washed out margarine tubs.

A great tip I have seen on here several times, if you are short on freezer space then put a freezer bag inside a freezer tub & put the food portion in the bag, in the tub. It will then freeze in the square shape of the tub, but if you take the bag out the tub after it has frozen it will take up less space in the freezer & can re-use the tub.

Most things in my freezer that are in bags, rather than boxes, are double bagged.

The key thing though is to make sure that anything is frozen in useable portions, so if it is likely you will only use one portion at a time freeze in individual portions. And make sure that it is labelled, so you know exactly what it is & how long it has been in there.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 30th Jul 09, 8:38 PM
    • 8,054 Posts
    • 86,006 Thanks
    cw18
    I freeze everything in individual portion sizes - makes it easier when elder DS decides to come home, and while I was catering for younger GD once a week during school terms. I portion out into 500g margarine tubs (I have a load of reasonably sturdy ones, as I use a soya spread for me rather than a value type), then once frozen I turn out of the tubs and put each into a separate small freezer bag. Moving into a bag means the portions regularly take less than half the freezer space they would in the tubs - plus means I have the tubs ready for the next batch cooked meal

ETA: I always turn out of the bag and defrost directly in a pan - ready for heating up/cooking through later.

I don't use my slow cooker often (now there's only two of us), but find a cheap gammon joint is much more tender done this way - and if I do a whole chicken in it I get a lot more meat off the carcass, and the stock is done at the same time instead of having to put a pan on to simmer afterwards
    Last edited by cw18; 30-07-2009 at 8:40 PM.
    Cheryl
    • cw18
    • By cw18 30th Jul 09, 8:42 PM
    • 8,054 Posts
    • 86,006 Thanks
    cw18
    A great tip I have seen on here several times, if you are short on freezer space then put a freezer bag inside a freezer tub & put the food portion in the bag, in the tub. It will then freeze in the square shape of the tub, but if you take the bag out the tub after it has frozen it will take up less space in the freezer & can re-use the tub.
    Originally posted by Julimk
    I used to put the bag in the tub and just lift the bag out - but found the food froze around creases in the bag making it almost impossible to get the food out of the bag until it's defrosted!! Much better to freeze directly in the tub, transfer to a bag, then take out of bag to defrost (for me anyway)
    Cheryl
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 30th Jul 09, 9:08 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    I prefer not to label my bags (just date them) and have a week of eating mystery meals - esp in winter when my freezer is full of various stews - take it out in the morning and come home to something yummy - but a surprise

Just got a slow cooker and loving it - actually can't wait for winter to do loads of stews. Gonna do a lamb tagine this weekend. yummy .
    House bought - now to clear the mortgage
    • ocemeer
    • By ocemeer 30th Jul 09, 9:34 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    ocemeer
    Back from being away with work so £110 for August - (starting saturday) Freezer almost empty so slightly worried about the amount of cooking required to fill this plus, not had as many woopsies recently.
    Currently experimenting with growing sunflower shoots (already sprouting beans just need some more hessian sacks so I can have shoots throughout the week).
    Lots of fruit and veg required though to stock up on jams/pickles ready for the xmas hampers
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 30th Jul 09, 9:42 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 9,379 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    I've just completed my first shop of the month - whoopsied fruit and veg and some olive oil. Also a few bent tins of beans which I will be able to use to make bean burgers for a barbie on Saturday. Total £10.37.
    Decluttering 344/2019
    Deleting old emails 9/2019
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 30th Jul 09, 9:57 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    I prefer not to label my bags (just date them) and have a week of eating mystery meals - esp in winter when my freezer is full of various stews - take it out in the morning and come home to something yummy - but a surprise

Just got a slow cooker and loving it - actually can't wait for winter to do loads of stews. Gonna do a lamb tagine this weekend. yummy .
    Originally posted by JulieK1313
    Done that,but got cured when mixed pork and pudding together!
    Not good.
    mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 30th Jul 09, 10:47 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    I also have a recipe for onion bhajis but this calls for gram flour - i won't be able to get to a big supermarket before the weekend, does anyone know if another flour can be substituted in its place?

Also if you have any ideas or tips on how to "copy" those lovely dips you get in the indian restaurant with your poppadoms, I would love to know thanks !
    Regarding gram flour aka besan flour and chick pea flour.
    You could use plain flour mixed with ground tumeric and a pinch of salt place all in a bowl and mix together if wished you could a small amount of yellow mustard powder to make it look a bit more authentic. I have done this a few times and worked fine for me.

Dips:-
    Riata - mint, yogurt and cucumber.
    Cut about an inch or more of cucumber and grate (inc skin) mix with yougurt sprinkle either fresh or dried mint into it mix and add salt to taste.

Tomato/chilli salsa
    2 tomatoes diced (inc skin + seeds)
    1/4 onion finely chopped and diced
    either 4 fresh chillies or teaspoon of fresh crushed chilli
    Mix all of the above add fresh coriander, cumin and salt to taste

Mango chutney
    2 mangoes, peeled, stoned and sliced
    salt
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    200g/ sugar
    1 tbsp ground mustard powder
    1tbsp ground tumeric powder
    2 tbsp grated fresh root ginger about an inch of fresh ginger
    1/2 pint white vinegar
    1 tbsp cayenne (chilli )pepper

Place mango slices into a bowl overnight sprinkled with salt.
    next day rinse fruit discard the juice
    Put sugar, spices, garlic and ginger into a pan on a very low heat till sugar has dissolved..
    Bring the mixture to the boil and quickly add the sliced mangoes. Let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chutney is thick and looks like syrup.
    After that place into clean, sterilised jars and seal.

You can eat it straight away but best off leaving it for at least 12 hours to allow the mixture to cool and allow the flavours to be released.

Get a slow cooker they are a life saver, don't know what i'd do without mine.

don't forget chappatti can be easily made and are healthier than poppadoms.
    I just reuse margarine tubs or place in plastic food bags.

Maitane:- Know what you mean my OH and boys are obsessed with meat.They demand it in every meal.
    A few things i do is add extra veg, lentils, oats any dodgy veg veg that needs using etc
    Another thing is brown lentils they are amazing. Convinced my entire family we were eating beef mince pie, meat stew, instead we were eating all non meat meals. When cooking add a couple of beef stock cubes this really boosts up the "meaty" taste. You can buy vegetarian beef cubes if you wish.

Flying Fresian:- just chop up the peppers and freeze them no need to cook.

Taka:- If the mango is soft then its ripe.

Well spent the £5 i gave myself today on onions and eggs, never going back to this new place i got them from as they were far more expensive than Asian food markets. So didnt buy any salad stuff grrr.

Looks like i may be starting my first August spend on Friday instead of Monday. Ah well at least it will be on healthy food lol
    The Aldi super six sounds good as we eat everything on they part from celery but i use it in cooking anyway. Haven't has avocados for ages, hmm i can guacamole already and avocado and mayonnaise yummy . 29p hmmm if thats price bonus!!

Had a lovely day out in the rain with the boys came back freezing to hot home made soup and HM bread , so nice. The children ate it without complaining too, always a bonus. Going to make falafel tomorrow along with a tangine and chick pea curry for over the next couple of weeks. Not that it will last that long, i make it and suddenly the kids eat it all!
    Off to carry on with the sowing the cushion.
    • Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 31st Jul 09, 1:26 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    Hiya guys,

Well it's payday today so will be going to mr T looking for curry/sweet and sour sauces later, will stock up store cupboard as releif left the cupboards empty' Will have a good look around as I don't usually have time to go up there.

several NSD's this week, must remember to go to NSD thread again

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 31st Jul 09, 7:19 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    I have had 4 NSD's
    but really need to go shopping today. I like the look of aldis next super 6 - I love mango - never normally buy it ,its too expensive

failed july GC miserably but hoping for good things for august- just need to remember to keep my receipts
    • topsyturphy
    • By topsyturphy 31st Jul 09, 9:19 AM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 10,449 Thanks
    topsyturphy
    Can you put me down for £175 for August please. Need to be good this month.
  • highland fling
    good morning everyone
    well I have just ordered a new cooker over the internet. Have never bought anything this way before so I am a wee bit nervous but I read their customer reviews and terms and conditions so hopefully all will be well. I am so looking forward to having a shiney new cooker my old one used to belong to my Gran and was nearly 20 yrs old, yes that's right 20 yrs old. So really it has served us above and beyond the call of duty. My new cooker will have a fan assisted oven.

Can't wait for it to arrive and then I will be cooking up a storm.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Done the 1st shop of the month...
    1. 4x1lt fresh milk x 48c
    2. pack butter -65c
    3. pack lard - 49c
    4. bag of walnuts -€1.69 -more courgette teabread here I come
    5. 24 x 1.5lt mineral water €4.56
    6. 1kg bunch carrots - 49c
    7. 1kg onions 49c
    8. celery 99c
    9. cherry tomatoes -€1.19
    10. cucumber -35c
    11. iceberg - 45c
    12. 1kg nectarines 89c
    13. 3 huge red peppers - 67c
    it came to a total of €15.43 -but I took €12 worth of bottles back -so that made it €3.43 -but I paid €6 deposits on the bottles this time -so that leaves it at €9.43 -but I will have the €6 + extra bottles I have allready to take back next time I shop
    I have had a looksy in my purse and I have €69 in there and I have decided that I am on a mission to make that last the rest of the month -well that will mean i won't have to touch this months housekeeping(which is allready tucked up in the bank )
    Im 6 days into my month -leaving 25 days -so thats about €20 a week and as I should only need milk, fruit n veg -it "should" be do-able -pinkies crossed

Dinner tonight is jacket potatoes with cottage cheese and salad mmmmm
    Nice and easy, a great fave of ours and it leaves lots more time for x-stitching
    Hope everyone is well and off to a good start
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

656Posts Today

5,527Users online

Martin's Twitter