Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 4
    • shellsmithcat
    • By shellsmithcat 29th Jul 09, 6:43 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    shellsmithcat
    Menu Planning
    Hello
    Is there like a menu planning thread (i can't find it) so i can get some idea of how i can make my budget work - I'm not going to give an estimate for August as only just starting out but I should have some idea to join in for September
    thanks
    Michelle
    • shellsmithcat
    • By shellsmithcat 29th Jul 09, 6:47 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    shellsmithcat
    Found one
    Oh
    Typical just after I post I find what I'm looking for ----forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=18379333--- (well i think this is what is mentioned in the newbie thread. Am I right?
    Thanks
    • empy
    • By empy 29th Jul 09, 6:53 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    empy
    Hi Debvan1, I too have given up smoking, today is my first day, got my patches and microtabs at the ready lol. How is it going so far? if you want a quit buddy let me know.

Good luck

Emma
    OS Grocery Challenge
    August 250/ [COLOR="Red"]103.44 left
  • debvan1
    Hi empy (sorry if I have that wrong) yeah would like a quit buddy, although as I said quit day is Monday, not looking forward as DH refuses to quit!!! Also thanks for the welcome x
    • kalojac
    • By kalojac 29th Jul 09, 7:53 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 5,363 Thanks
    kalojac
    Can I join again this month, its been a while but I am going to aim for 370 for August, starting tomorrow for 2 adults, 3 growing boys, a dog and 3 fishes :rolleyes:
    • lambanana
    • By lambanana 29th Jul 09, 8:18 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 5,375 Thanks
    lambanana
    Hi, I'd like to join in please can I be down for 150 in August. I do usually have a budget but need more accountability.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
    CC: 6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • DizzyK
    I've just got my Tesco shop at 76. I'm not sure if that's good or not to be honest! i think it's ok - am running down the supplies in the freezer, but that did have a wopping chicken in it which should do 3-4 meals for us next week.
    Off to update sig...

• redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 29th Jul 09, 8:51 PM
    • 5,978 Posts
    • 25,841 Thanks
    redmel1621
    I usually spend about 70 per week on Groceries and buy mostly cheap brand products (apart from meat, toothpaste and toilet roll) so I think that's quite good. challenge for august would be 30 or 120 this month. We eat better when we're running low on food as less food means more planning and healthier so I might hold off going to big shop until i really need to. Any other ideas?
    Originally posted by pink custard monster
    I was saying this very thing to Dh yesterday!! When we have loads of food in the cupboards/freezer and spare money, we tend to eat more junk food....yet lately we have been short on cash and have been having full chicken dinners, and a variety of pasta and rice dishes, all of which have been filling, healthy and very cheap
    We have also made more of an effort to put the breadmaker on each day, instead of nipping to the shop for rolls...and we tend to eat healthier cereal as it is cheaper to buy

Why, oh why, do I let my lovely OS ways slip:rolleyes:

Oh, was meant to say Dh remember how much we spent earlier..it was 4.57 that alongside my Monday Tesco delivery means a grand spend of 66.46

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

• fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 29th Jul 09, 8:54 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    I have completed my first almost full Basics shop coming in at 21.43.

The previous brand level would have been 40+ when I recosted it at the TTD range which I would have gone for prior to joining this site!

150 - 21.43 = 128.57.

I am very stocked up nicely with food and cleaning products. Just a top up from the butcher's required. Hoping this month's budget goes well too!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • kizandcorez
    Well this is all new to me so i have no idea how much i spend but i know its way to much starting on the 1st im going to write down everything i spend to see where im wasting money. Im going to set my target at 250 might be way off but why put it off for another month. This is for 2 adults ds 12 and ds 16 months and my mother who I feed once a week
    Last edited by kizandcorez; 29-07-2009 at 9:00 PM. Reason: spelling :O)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts DFW nerd 1206
    August GC 0/250
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 29th Jul 09, 9:23 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Hi everyone, may I join you this month? Fell off the wagon well and truly in June and did an 'unofficial' grocery challenge for july to see what went so horribly wrong in june after id checked the (many) receipts!

So this month, am back. This month is different though, I HAVE to stick to it as had two months worth of SSP taken out of my salary this month as they overpaid me so am gonna be on a tight one.

Intend using up my very ample freezer supplies and did a couple of online shops in July to stock tins, pasta, flour, rice etc.

So this month may i be put down for 120 please? This is for everything, have plenty of nappies and wipes so baby wise should just be one tub of formula as also stocked up about 3 of them last month when i found out theyd be docking my wages! Use about one a week of them.

I am guilty of buying ready made baby jar food and my challenge to myself this month is to make as much of my own baby food as possible, she is 7 months now and is more accepting of textures and flavours so heres hoping! Oh and gonna make bread again too, fell of that a bit ago, but cannot bare the prices in supermarkets.

Am hoping will just have to buy fresh fruit, veg and milk, which can go market for, oh and eggs, we eat loads of them, get 30 from local farm shop for 3.00

So thats me!

Thank you to those running the thread!
    • barneydee
    • By barneydee 30th Jul 09, 5:44 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    barneydee
    Count me in Mrsm last month I failed badly, again I started good, writting everything down then after the first week it dropped of so this time
    1) I am going to have an envalope in my bag in which i will put all receipts and i will write on the out side the amounts that you spend but don't get receipts for i.e.when you go to the corner shop or market stalls,these seem to be the little ones i forget.
    2)stick to my shopping list.
    3)use up my freezer/fridge/cupboards as much as possible.
    4)avoid temptation (whoopsies)
    5)leave my Debit card at home and only take a small amount of cash out with me

So this month i am in for 250.00,over the next couple of months i want to get it down to 150ish

Dee

PS this is for 3 adaults and one teenager
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 30th Jul 09, 6:12 AM
    • 3,992 Posts
    • 24,049 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    Morning all

Well our month starts on the 25th -so Im off with 4 NSDs in a row -I will need to pick up a couple of bits tomorrow..as yet it should just be a bit more :-
    milk, lettuce, peppers, cucumber and onions - unless of course I see any bargains that I can use .
    Im planning a super frugal month as I have lots of meat and stuff in the freezer -so I would like to get that run down.

Right -those 2 recipes that were asked for are:-
    lemon cakes

This made 12 buns -
    1. 100g butter
    2. 100g sugar
    3. 2 eggs
    4. 100g SR flour
    5. 50g ground almonds -you can add more if you have them to use up
    6. rind and juice of 1 lemon -or more if you like mmmmmmm
    These need to be left for a day or 2 (if possible ) as they get moister as they stand
    orange and poppyseed cake
    Pre-heat oven 160f/gas3
    grease and base line a loaf tin -20x10cm
    1. 3tbs marmalade
    2. 150g pot natural yoghurt
    3. 3 eggs
    4. 175g golden caster sugar
    5. 200g SR flour
    6. 1/2tsp baking powder
    7. 175g soft butter
    8. zest 1 orange
    9. 2tsp poppy seeds -toasted gently
    • melt the marmalade over a low heat -or soften in the micro
    • cool slightly -then stir in the yoghurt
    • throw everything else (except the poppy seeds)into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk (or whallop with a good ol wooden spoon)
    • beat in the yoghurt mix and poppy seeds
    • tip into the prepared tin and bake for 1hr -1hr 10 mins -or until a skewer comes out clean -keep an eye on it and if it is colouring to quickly -cover with greaseproof
    I made this in bun cases instead in the remoska -its a runny mix -so don't use papers on their own -guess how I found this out? *some very strange shaped buns happened that day* ...this is another 1 that I think is much better if left to stand for a day - they go really moist -it feels likes you could squeeze liquid out .... Im thinking of trying this recipe but with lemoncurd nomnomnom
    Flat-Eric -the courgette teabread/muffin recipe is on the list of recipes allready -its addictive -I even have hubbies mates making it
    I think you should be able to get poppy seeds in the supermarkets by now -if not the health food shops will have them....

I now have another 3 courgettes off the plants -they are growing quicker than I can use them -if only the tomatoes would catch up :rolleyes:. I have quite a few french and runner beans stashed in the freezer -and plenty more on their way -I love fresh runner beans mmmmmm -
    right I had better get off and make a cuppa -hope everyone has a good month
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Thank you very much Mrs M for that. Much appreciated. Thank you also for all you do for this forum and big thanks also to Pink Winged and Rosieben. Where would we be without you ??? I dread to think....

My new month starts tomorrow and I am very excited!

I am already seeing chinks of light in my freezer . I am making it my mission this month to use what I have. Although that is obviously the point of the grocery challenge, what i mean (to quote an example) is that I am a big lover of the princess tuna with ginger and lime. I think I have just one tin left!! now, old me would have bought more tins (1.49 for 2 ) but instead I am going to use up the other tuna I have until there is no tuna left. I must have at least a dozen tins/satchets of the stuff!!!! If I follow this principle with all my food i..e eat what I have, not what I fancy/like a lot then I should crack the grocery challenge head on. Will let you know how I get on!!

• MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Well the mini shop I was planning to do had been postponed until tomorrow -so I can claim 5 NSDs in a row now

Redmel -we are like you -When I used to keep the fridge jam packed, I would sling open the door and stand staring at it waiting for inspiration to hit me (preferably before something cascaded from a shelf and started an avalanche ). Now I keep less in there and waste nothing ... and we always love the "concotions" as I call them -or "whopits" as hubby calls them -as you "whop it" all in .
    I have mastered special fried rice -which is great for using odds n sods and bloomin gorgeous If I say so myself , Pasta salad/bakes -depending on the weather. We eat much better when Im being super frugal
    Last nigth in an attempt to use another courgette I made a gorgeous tea -
    I softened a finely chopped onion in a little oil, added a courgette cut into 1/4 slices and a handfull of frozen sweetcorn, then a dollop of marscapone and plenty of seasoning and a spoon of wholegrain mustard and cooked over a low heat until bubbling -I then let it cool and folded in some leftover roast chicken ( didn't want to re-heat it twice) - then I used some ready rolled puff pastry and made 4 big pasties/slices -we had 1 with some steamed potatoes and some french and kidney beans from the garden -It was really nice -and we have 2 in the freezer
    That filling I make a little runnier and add some frozen peas and serve on pasta too.

right I had better get off and update the list -hope everyone has a great day
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • wmf
    • By wmf 30th Jul 09, 7:55 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 21,848 Thanks
    wmf
    Had my first spend of Aug budget yesterday. Rounding it up to 25. Should be ok for a few days and got some staples in as well. It included some lovely farm eggs and plums from a roadside stall. Poached eggs for lunch today - haven't had them for ages but I love them. Nice and easy too.
    I'm also trying to work my way through the freezer so have chicken breasts defrosting for tonight and tomorrow. Tonight just plain grilled/ baked then sliced cold. Tomorrow I think I'll do a pasta dish with just one chicken breast between us and extra veg. I have some peppers in the freezer and mange tout so can chop them up.
    Good luck for August everyone. I know I need to stay on track this month.
    W
  • highland fling
    morning everyone
    windy and quite dull here so have no notion of going out.
    Will spend this morning constructing menu plan for the month. Don't write it on tablets of stone though as I always like to have a bit of "wiggle room" just in case I find a great bargain or have a notion for something different.

kezlou - thankyou for the beef recipe. Will certainly be trying this. Will probably have it with rice as I have a mountain of the stuff to use up.

Thankyou to everyone for their wonderful recipes and support.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 30th Jul 09, 9:00 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    I was just looking at this too, Economy Gastronomy, Weds 8pm on BBC2 looks interesting

I'll start a new thread for this, in case people miss it - ooops there was a thread already started
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Morning! I had intended a quick look on mysupermarket to do some costings so as to use the vouchers from the week-end's papers, but the lure of MSE is just too strong So plee--eee--eee--ssss don't tell anyone I'm still here
    Would you have a link to afore mentioned thread please Rosie? Even after all the time I do spend on here, my search skills are still severely challenged It's like the clever links too--I read & re-read the guides but it just don't happen for me

I made a bolognaise base yesterday with a tube of tom puree for the first time. Needless to say it will be the last! It was so fiddly to use & where I've always got a good red colour from the small tins, this one came out quite orange. The sauce didn't thicken either so even if it works out more expensive, I'll stick to my little tins in future. I can also scrape them clean whereas I felt a lot of stuff was left lurking in the tube--unlike toothpaste, where I have the time to wring it into submission usually visualising a cauldron of MPs & their dodgy expense claims

Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• pixie1
    • By pixie1 30th Jul 09, 9:29 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    pixie1
    I didnt managed to keep track last month with everything going on but i will try my best this month.

This month I think i will budget for $600 which is a lot more then normal but we are starting our store cupboard from scratch.

Good luck everyone

Pix
    x
    Debt Free At Last!
    • lollyfin
    • By lollyfin 30th Jul 09, 10:00 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    lollyfin
    Should be a NSD for me today, hopefully. Lunch today is going to be eggy toast and tonight am planning baked potatoes with cheese, ham and leftover veggies from the bottom of the fridge and since the oven will be on for the pots (micro for a min then finish in the oven yum) I am going to make Black Saturns peach cobbler and do some baking, am thinking coconut cake from weezles thread and carrot cookies from thriftlady (think I got them both right!).I totally agree with previous posters when we are skint we seem to eat healthier, alot less expensive junk and everything homecooked so you know whats in it.
    hope you all have a great (frugal) day
    Lollyfin
    • Bad Weather
    • By Bad Weather 30th Jul 09, 11:07 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Bad Weather
    Can Hezybaby budget 90 for August please! (First month)! Think i'm usually 100 but want to be down and 90 and already got some chilli in the freezer!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

296Posts Today

3,959Users online

Martin's Twitter