Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Jul 09, 5:20 PM
    August 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Jul 09 at 5:20 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-08-2009 at 9:23 AM.
Page 3
    • savingforoz
    • By savingforoz 29th Jul 09, 12:14 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 5,807 Thanks
    savingforoz
    I'll go for £50 for August please!
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 29th Jul 09, 12:14 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,422 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Thanks for mentioning that programme, folks. Marked in diary for viewing. Hope it isn't one of these ridiculous ones where they have folks who normally spend £600+ a month for family of 4 and then show them how to do similar for £100 a week. :rolleyes: I'll not can afford to follow their recipes!
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • cw18
    • By cw18 29th Jul 09, 12:24 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    Nyk - Must admit that my first thought was that they'll probably have a much higher budget than folks on here. It's about time they followed some of the long time members of this challenge to set a real example to others...... but perhaps not, as we'd have more folks to contend with for our Whoospies then :rolleyes2
    Cheryl
    • redmel1621
    • By redmel1621 29th Jul 09, 12:27 PM
    • 5,978 Posts
    • 25,841 Thanks
    redmel1621
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the Grocery Challenge - though have been meaning to do this for a while.

I have managed by 'being careful' to reduce my main weekly shop from £120 to £80 per week over the last 3 months or so, but I have no idea what extras we spend by visiting the local co-op for emergency bread, milk and all the other extras, and ideally I would be really happy to reduce this even more if possible.

Could I please be put down for £320 for this month to see how I go!

Thanks

Sorry just wanted to add that we are a family of 5 made up of 2 adults, and 3 boys aged 9, 4 and 2, and a baby girl due on 8th September
    Originally posted by happymumof3
    Hello and welcome....you have same size family and budget as me Well for now anyway - Congrats on your baby girl, due soon

it starts on the 5th of august i was looking at it it looks interesting ..

well im half way through my second week and i am really proud of myself .. i have spent £124 but theres not another thing i need expect milk bread and maybe abit of fruit but im not getting til i completely run out as i use to top up without finishing ... i planned a whole month worth of meals and im sticking to it ... im back on top form and im loving it hope everyone else is doing well x
    Originally posted by searching_me
    HELLO SM

Ooooops, I obviously am not 100% in the right frame of mind yet. I went to the local shops to get a few bits, and some butter for ds1 to make some biscuits, and threw away the receipt
    On the plus side the biscuits were really nice and very easy to make. They only came about because I had ordered Allinson wholemeal flour, instead on the Strong bread one:rolleyes: and the recipe was on the back.....we just needed the butter

Recipe
    Chocolate Biscuit Thins
    125g Butter
    50g Caster Sugar
    125g wholemeal flour
    25g Cocoa Powder

Cream sugar and butter then beat in the flour and cocoa.
    Make into 14(approx) small balls, put onto a greased oven tray and flatten down.
    Bake for 15mins @ 190C (Mine only took 10mins)

I am going to try them using splenda and lurpak light, to make a healthy version....I am 'supposed' to be on a diet Shhhhh

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

• Herewegoagain
    • By Herewegoagain 29th Jul 09, 12:34 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 8,788 Thanks
    Herewegoagain
    This mse keeps on at you even when your not lookingjust remembered

When I was on my hols, went on lastminete.com
    got a room in London 1/2 price
    got a fantastic meal down the kings road 1/2 price, best I've ever tasted
    got mr mc meal 1/2 price with tokens given us in Oxford street

then when shopping with my son at mr t's in Cardiff
    got white choc muffins @10p a pack bought six, 3 for them and 3 to take back to Bris for my mum
    got pack 4 soft rolls @10p bought 6, 3 for him, 3 for mum.
    got muller rice @ 20p bought 5 to share with my mum

Came back home and got rolls @ 25p 4 packs for mr and mrs at mr m's, all by habit not looking for bargains as on hols, so I guess once the bug bites your hooked eh

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
    • jjef
    • By jjef 29th Jul 09, 12:49 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 35,711 Thanks
    jjef
    I really need to rejoin the GC. Budget for the last couple of months has been blown away and I not been keeping a note of daily/weekly grocery spends.

OH luckily gets discounted Asda vouchers through his work (£300 for the price of £285), so this month I have taken out £30 and put that aside for december added in £30 cash for odds from village shop, so for AUGUST my total will be £300.

Fortunately the freezer is reasonably well stocked but with school hols I can see the first month being tight.

At home there is me, OH , DD1 (10) &DD2 (7), 1dog & 7fish.

Off to read through all the receipe threads and meal plan properly for the month, then it will be shop and cook for freezer tomorrow me thinks.
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 29th Jul 09, 12:52 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    HI MEL ... i made a load of baking yesterday including raisin biscuits should keep OH and zoe happy x
    Last edited by searching_me; 29-07-2009 at 1:00 PM.
    Still searching .....
  • Coolmum66
    Hi All

Droped out last month - but am back now and full of good intentions again!!

Please count me in for £250 for August?

Don't post much - but do try and keep up with the thread

Good luck and happy budgeting to all!!

Coolmum. xx
    Debt at 2nd LBM (!) Jun 08 £8,435 - hm, let's not go there!!
    DFW Nerd - 721 / DFW Long Hauler 4 / DFD - ASAP!!
    Sealed pot challenge - member 336 - £200 target
  • jackieglasgow
    Hi I would like to join the GC please. Had a really minimal month last month due to having no money! Storecupboard and freezer just about empty too, but I'm game for a try, please put me down for£150 and I'll see how I get on, that includes loo rolls, etc. and I'm doing my first ever monthly mealplan today, I'll post it later in the week for help/advice if that's OK. Thanks, Jackie.
  • rosieben
    it starts on the 5th of august i was looking at it it looks interesting ..
    Originally posted by searching_me
    yes it would have been helpful if I'd put the date, thanks sm
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • empy
    • By empy 29th Jul 09, 1:59 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    empy
    Hi all, could I please join this months challenge, I am off school for 6 weeks and want to use this as an opportunity to save loads of money and get on top of my spending.

Well yesterday I went through all of my cupboards and fridge and freezer and compiled a list, which I posted on here and had many fantastic suggestions - Thank you. I also noticed the links to all the recipes at the begining of this thread , thank you so much to all who takes time to organise this.

So anyhoo looking at what I already had in the house I made a list and went shopping today and stocked up on essentials to prevent almost daily trips to the coop and spends of £20.00 each time .

So if you could please put me down for £100 I would be most grateful.

I have spent £59.43 so far, and will update my siggie.

Have a great afternoon all

Emma x
    OS Grocery Challenge
    August £250/ [COLOR="Red"]£103.44 left
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 29th Jul 09, 2:07 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 10,228 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Hellooo,

Hi and 'Good luck' to all those just starting out or who are new in here, it's brill, great for advice/recepies etc and very friendly too!

Thanks to Mrs Mcawber, Pink Winged and Rosieben for all their hard work and help in keeping us on the straight and narrow.

I'm moving again on the 14th of August (2nd time in 4 months), we're trying to use up all the old food here before which will help keep the budget on track.:rolleyes:
    I've declared July's budget already as I'm not buying anymore till sat (I hope...)
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 2 JUNE GC £192.92/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • msgnomey
    • By msgnomey 29th Jul 09, 3:18 PM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 26,365 Thanks
    msgnomey
    Well I shopped today , stuck to my menu/shopping list spent a bit more that I might have liked BUT have now got lots in the cupboard and a freezer inventory on the 'fridge door so will try hard to use what I have!! Good luck everyone!
    Go hopefully into each new day, enjoy something from every day no matter how small, you never know when it will be your last
  • Natalie85
    Hello and welcome....you have same size family and budget as me Well for now anyway - Congrats on your baby girl, due soon

HELLO SM

Ooooops, I obviously am not 100% in the right frame of mind yet. I went to the local shops to get a few bits, and some butter for ds1 to make some biscuits, and threw away the receipt
    On the plus side the biscuits were really nice and very easy to make. They only came about because I had ordered Allinson wholemeal flour, instead on the Strong bread one:rolleyes: and the recipe was on the back.....we just needed the butter

Recipe
    Chocolate Biscuit Thins
    125g Butter
    50g Caster Sugar
    125g wholemeal flour
    25g Cocoa Powder

Cream sugar and butter then beat in the flour and cocoa.
    Make into 14(approx) small balls, put onto a greased oven tray and flatten down.
    Bake for 15mins @ 190C (Mine only took 10mins)

I am going to try them using splenda and lurpak light, to make a healthy version....I am 'supposed' to be on a diet Shhhhh

Mel x
    Originally posted by redmel1621
    wow , just made these, there delicious, i think im going to demolish them all before OH gets home if i dont lock them away

• russetred
    • By russetred 29th Jul 09, 3:52 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Sorry Mrs m I'm running late this month.Can you put me down for £340 for Aug.I came in at £453.05 for July,still to adjust my sig,a whopping £1.95 under.Its really hard to stick within a budget with the kiddy equivalent of the langoliers on school hols.Still only 3 weeks left. I've been very industrious today,making 5lb of strawberry jam with whoopsied strawberries,some delish creamy yoghurt and a huge pot of coleslaw with reduced veg.I recommend the yoghurt recipe on page 1,then strain overnight thru a teatowel and sieve,if its too thick for your taste then just add some of the liquid back in.Yum ,yum.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • pinkie_pie
    Can I join in please! £280 please
  • Jedilibrarian
    Shiney new thread! Thanks to MRSM, Pink-winged and Rosieben for starting us off for another month

I was rubbish and blew my budget last month so I'm declaring £135.29 for July and aiming for £100 again in August

Good luck all!
  • pink custard monster
    I usually spend about £70 per week on Groceries and buy mostly cheap brand products (apart from meat, toothpaste and toilet roll) so I think that's quite good. challenge for august would be £30 or £120 this month. We eat better when we're running low on food as less food means more planning and healthier so I might hold off going to big shop until i really need to. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by pink custard monster; 29-07-2009 at 6:21 PM. Reason: changing spending target
  • debvan1
    Hi all, well tried with the smiley lol. Anyhow obviously first timer here, if I may I would like to put myself down for 350 euro sorry I know it sounds alot but don't really want to pressure myself too much as also trying to quit smoking from Monday!! Just wanted to also say thanks guys for giving me the motivation to sort my spending and house out
  • SAVVYMUMMY
    Hi MrsM, been a bad girl with the budget. haven`t been keeping an eye on it at all, with one thing and another. So could you pleeease count me in for this month at £300 and cancel the yearly budget, as this has also gone to pot.

Hoping I will keep on top of it this month:rolleyes:. Many thanks for now
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38 week 3 £90/£60.54week4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

6,567Users online

Martin's Twitter