Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    'How much do you spend on holiday?' poll discussion
    • 27th Jul 09, 10:56 AM
    'How much do you spend on holiday?' poll discussion 27th Jul 09 at 10:56 AM
    Poll ran between 27 July - 4 August 2009:

How much do you spend on holiday?

Whether it’s a package holiday or DIY cheap flight we spend serious time getting the best price. Yet many lose all budget constraints and just spend when they get there.

How much do you spend, PER PERSON, PER WEEK on holiday?

A. No holidays for me – I’m skint - 15% (1944 votes)
    B. SINGLE. Under 70 - 1% (123 votes)
    C. SINGLE. 71-200 - 5% (582 votes)
    D. SINGLE. 201-500 - 8% (1035 votes)
    E. SINGLE. 501-1,000 - 4% (456 votes)
    F. SINGLE. Over 1,000 - 1% (146 votes)
    G. COUPLE. Under 70 per person - 2% (232 votes)
    H. COUPLE. 71-200 per person - 10% (1210 votes)
    I. COUPLE. 201-500 per person - 17% (2160 votes)
    J. COUPLE. 501-1,000 per person - 9% (1108 votes)
    K. COUPLE. Over 1,000 per person - 3% (389 votes)
    L. FAMILY. Under 70 per person - 3% (411 votes)
    M. FAMILY. 71 - 200 per person - 8% (1024 votes)
    N. FAMILY. 201 - 500 per person - 8% (1007 votes)
    O. FAMILY. 501 - 1,000 per person - 5% (584 votes)
    P. FAMILY. Over 1,000 per person - 2% (285 votes)

This vote has now ended, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks

Related Guides: Best Card For Spending Abroad, Travel Money Maximiser

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 04-08-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Page 1
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 27th Jul 09, 11:48 AM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    • 27th Jul 09, 11:48 AM
    • 27th Jul 09, 11:48 AM
    Presumeably you have to exclude food if you are not on an all inclusive holiday?
    So spends on the essentials,wine women and song then, no frittering it away then.
  • nbbradshaw
    • 27th Jul 09, 12:01 PM
    • 27th Jul 09, 12:01 PM
    Sorry to be pedantic but " How much do you spend on holiday?" is too vague a question as some will spend as much on new clothes, essential items such as sun tan lotion before they even get there.

How about "Excluding the cost of your travel and accommodation, How much do you spend on holiday?"
    There's always someone bigger and better, smarter and stronger but there's only one YOU!
    • nzseries1
    • By nzseries1 27th Jul 09, 12:57 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    nzseries1
    • 27th Jul 09, 12:57 PM
    • 27th Jul 09, 12:57 PM
    Sorry to be pedantic as well... but what if I spend exactly 70?
    There's no option for that
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 27th Jul 09, 1:20 PM
    • 11,892 Posts
    • 11,422 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 27th Jul 09, 1:20 PM
    • 27th Jul 09, 1:20 PM
    Over 1000 per week per person on a family holiday???
    What on earth are you buying?
    • LittleMissAspie
    • By LittleMissAspie 27th Jul 09, 1:41 PM
    • 2,091 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    LittleMissAspie
    • 27th Jul 09, 1:41 PM
    • 27th Jul 09, 1:41 PM
    Well it depends where you're going doesn't it? You can't get a week in America for the same price as a week in France.

The answer for me is that we decide where we want to go, then we spend the least possible for that destination.
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 27th Jul 09, 1:48 PM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 27th Jul 09, 1:48 PM
    • 27th Jul 09, 1:48 PM
    The survey is not clear if it is only spending money that is to be counted and not accommodation and food as well, for the independant traveller, these expenses dont get paid up front and will have an effect on spending money available.
    I can spend up to 500 a week easily on holiday sometimes more depending on the class of hotel I want to stay at on a day to day basis.
    • nzseries1
    • By nzseries1 27th Jul 09, 2:04 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    nzseries1
    • 27th Jul 09, 2:04 PM
    • 27th Jul 09, 2:04 PM
    I assumed the survey was about "non-essential spending", therefore excluding travel and accomodation.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 27th Jul 09, 2:26 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    • 27th Jul 09, 2:26 PM
    • 27th Jul 09, 2:26 PM
    If you read the introduction it is clear. Just exclude food to equate to all-in prices.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 27th Jul 09, 2:30 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    When are we going to have a really interesting poll such as "what expenditure should the government cut?
    Or perhaps the site is not large enough for a forum that size.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 28th Jul 09, 1:07 PM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    When are we going to have a really interesting poll such as "what expenditure should the government cut?
    Or perhaps the site is not large enough for a forum that size.
    Originally posted by zygurat789
    Quite a nice suggestion - may try and do it
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 28th Jul 09, 1:37 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    In total, I'm spending just under 600 on my holiday in Istanbul with my boyfriend for five nights in September.

That said, 250 of that has been spent on flights, accomodation and a new passport, so really it's only going to be about 350 that I'm actually spending over there on food and anything else I might need or want over there. I may buy a few new clothes before going though but I haven't factored that in as it's not a definite spend yet, if that makes sense.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 28th Jul 09, 8:02 PM
    • 11,695 Posts
    • 128,901 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I didn't give a specific answer to the poll.

At the moment, I'm unemployed and really broke so going nowhere.

Assuming I'm working, it depends where I am going what my spend is going to be. I want to be able to make the most of being wherever I'm going, so eating good local food, exploring historical/cultural sites, buying souvenirs/duty free etc, but I don't go overboard. But I've never yet been on such a holiday; saving up for one at the moment with Clubcard and survey sites.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 28th Jul 09, 8:05 PM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    Depends on location but roughly about 1k-1.5k per week between the two of us, a holiday aint for scrimping on.
  • WelshGandalf
    After accommodation & costs in getting there, about 40 -50 a day per person. That's enough for one meal out with lunch on the go somewhere, and entry to an attraction/museum or two. Some days more is spent, and some days less but it's a good ballpark figure.

I guess those doing it for less than 70 per person per week must be self-catering and either excluding the costs of food or not doing much at all the whole time...?
    • ^!$&
    • By ^!$& 29th Jul 09, 8:14 AM
    • 1,908 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    ^!$&
    I'm off on my hols in a few weeks time and have saved 600 just for me for 2 weeks but I'm going to the states so I wanted some spare $$$ for shopping!!

If I were travelling within Europe like I did last year for a week I'd take half that!!
    • RRatchet
    • By RRatchet 29th Jul 09, 9:17 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    RRatchet
    Mmmmmm........ I answered FAMILY - under 70 per person; but really there wasn't an answer that fitted our situation. We take one weeks holiday per year and that's to my parents 350m away in Lancs (we live in Aberdeenshire). Bed is free and board is what we would normally spend at home. We may have a couple of trips out but most of the time is spent visiting friends and family. This year we took the bus to MOSI (Manchester's Museum Of Science & Industry) for the afternoon, where we only visited the free exhibits. I also take advantage of the fact that in areas of high population there are more discount stores so I buy stuff we need such as the kids new school shoes much more cheaply than at home. Even if we could afford it, we can't take more holidays due to the difficulty of finding a babysitter for the farm. I'm the only one in oor family of 6 that has a valid passport and to buy 5 more would be the "holiday" budget for the year, so no actually going away that year then.
  • McSaver
    I answered A. Which is zilch. However I'm technically not skint. It's Just that I don't want to pay for a holiday.
    Had 80,000 in Savings - All GONE!!! BYE BYE
    Single, 27, Aspie, Gooner
    • soco1
    • By soco1 29th Jul 09, 12:22 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    soco1
    Just had 2wks in Tobago. On arrival I took out 40 in local currency and spent most of it on the last day trying to get rid of the stuff!
    Joy of all inclusive means no need to spend money un-necessarily.
    Was planning to go on trips but they were ridiculously high in price and not that appealing so did own trips on buses.

For me holidays are mainly for relaxing with a pile of books - I can spend money at home.
    • musehead
    • By musehead 29th Jul 09, 12:30 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    musehead
    I misread the question, I thought it meant how much do you spend on your holidays (the total cost of the holiday). But I think it actually refers to how much you spend when you're away, on food etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,945Users online

Martin's Twitter