Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 23rd Jul 09, 11:22 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE news: Water bills set to fall, regulator reveals
    • 23rd Jul 09, 11:22 AM
    MSE news: Water bills set to fall, regulator reveals 23rd Jul 09 at 11:22 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Water bills are likely to modestly fall in real terms by from next year under plans announced today by the industry regulator, Ofwat.

Many households can take further steps to cut their bills by over 100 a year ..."

Page 1
    • deanos
    • By deanos 23rd Jul 09, 6:59 PM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 5,588 Thanks
    deanos
    • 23rd Jul 09, 6:59 PM
    • 23rd Jul 09, 6:59 PM
    Pity they dont do anything about gas and electric prices, they are the real rip off merchants
    • gloucesteroldspot
    • By gloucesteroldspot 30th Jul 09, 11:16 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    gloucesteroldspot
    • 30th Jul 09, 11:16 AM
    • 30th Jul 09, 11:16 AM
    I think we should all write to congratulate and support the water regulator (Ofwat) for insisting on real term reductions in water bills (July 09). I note that this is not a 'final decision' however so we need to keep an eye on this to ensure that this does not get overturned following pressure from the water companies. (Martin please keep campaigning about this!)

I was amused by reports in last week's Sunday Times business section that the Chief Executive of Thames Water says that this would mean 'thousands of homes swamped by sewage'. He added that of course the reduction would not affect his bonus or his shareholder's profits. These people just don't live in the real world do they?

Water should never have been privatised anyway. 80% of people were against it at the time, and I would imagine even more now. If Gordon Brown really had his ear to the ground he should capitalise on people's unhappiness about utility prices by introducing much stricter regulation and price controls, and then maybe he would get some public confidence back.
  • Gothicfairy
    • 30th Jul 09, 5:01 PM
    • 30th Jul 09, 5:01 PM
    I should like to point out that ALL price increases by water companies in the past have been agreed with OFWAT.
    Water companies can not rise their prices if OFWAT say no, So the price you pay now was agreed and supported by them.

Some companies do have more to pay out as the pipe work is that old it all needs replacing (rather then repairing) and that was not done when it was in the public sector so it has to be done now.

If people are on a meter they pay a couple of quid for a cubic meter which is 1000 liters and when you look at how much a pint of water is in the shops that price is really cheap.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,392Posts Today

5,999Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin