Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    What’s your biggest money vice?' poll discussion
    • 21st Jul 09, 3:19 PM
    What’s your biggest money vice?' poll discussion 21st Jul 09 at 3:19 PM
    Poll between 21-27 July 2009:

What’s your biggest money vice?
    Which of the following do you have the greatest propensity to OVERspend on?

A.
    Buying Music/Going to gigs - 2% (192 votes)
    B. Computer Games - 1% (124 votes)
    C. Clothes/Shoes - 15% (1338 votes)
    D. Drink (alcohol) - 13% (1182 votes)
    E. DVDs and cinema - 1% (124 votes)
    F. Eating Out/Gourmet Food - 16% (1423 votes)
    G. Gambling (including Bingo/Lottery) - 2% (191 votes)
    H. Gadgets/Technology - 6% (512 votes)
    I. Illegal Drugs - 2% (161 votes)
    J. Hobbies - 3% (249 votes)
    K. Holidays - 10% (884 votes)
    L. Smoking - 4% (398 votes)
    M. Sports watching - 1% (77 votes)
    N. Sports participating - 1% (72 votes)
    O. Other - 5% (422 votes)
    P. Never overspend (I always budget) - 13% (1122 votes)
    Q. Never overspend (I have no money) - 5% (444 votes)

Total Votes: 8915

This vote has now ended, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 27-07-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Page 1
    • liz545
    • By liz545 21st Jul 09, 6:35 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 16,706 Thanks
    liz545
    • 21st Jul 09, 6:35 PM
    • 21st Jul 09, 6:35 PM
    I voted J: holidays - it was very nearly F but I'm much more capable of not going out for dinner if I can't afford it. Even if I've budgeted very carefully for the cost of the stay, and my day to day costs, I almost always find myself getting a bit more cash out from the ATM when I'm on holiday. Holidays are an escape from the thrifty norm for me, so I don't want to miss the great meals in favour of a minibar picnic, or not bring back a souvenir. But I'm doing ok on the whole so I don't worry about it!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps!
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 21st Jul 09, 7:27 PM
    • 6,993 Posts
    • 32,429 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    • 21st Jul 09, 7:27 PM
    • 21st Jul 09, 7:27 PM
    Holidays for me too - everything else I buy I can afford, but I have to really cut back on other things to be able to afford my holidays and I admit to dipping into the overdraft sometimes to afford them.
    Autumn weight loss: 0/12 | Total loss: 11.5lb
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 22nd Jul 09, 5:13 AM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 128,899 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 22nd Jul 09, 5:13 AM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 5:13 AM
    O. and P.

I am very good at budgeting, and having to scrape by on JSA as I am, with 1/3 of it being taken away, the chance to overspend just isn't there as I have no credit cards/loans.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • allean01
    • By allean01 22nd Jul 09, 5:28 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    allean01
    • 22nd Jul 09, 5:28 AM
    Never overspend
    • 22nd Jul 09, 5:28 AM
    I voted P. But really needed an R. Never overspend (have no budget).

Mortgage paid off last year, good jobs - although other half about to be made redundant, hoping to draw his pension in two years time. So things may change !
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 22nd Jul 09, 5:31 AM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 22nd Jul 09, 5:31 AM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 5:31 AM
    I voted for Holiday but I do budget for them so I dont know how that works in the poll.
    I have not had a holiday put me into debt since I was 19, the trip is paid for before I go and the CC spend is cleared as soon as the bill comes in when I get back.
    • Simbacat
    • By Simbacat 22nd Jul 09, 6:14 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Simbacat
    • 22nd Jul 09, 6:14 AM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 6:14 AM
    Holidays for me too!!

I am very careful in all other respects, but my two weeks in the sun is my life saver. I have a very stressful job so a fortnight in the sun thinking only of 'which restaurant shall I eat in tonight' or 'which pool shall I sit by today' are essentials for me. (I go without new clothes, DVD's, shoes and just about everything else to be able to afford it!)
    • allsinginganddancing
    • By allsinginganddancing 22nd Jul 09, 7:57 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    allsinginganddancing
    • 22nd Jul 09, 7:57 AM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 7:57 AM
    Should of had food on there...its an everyday expence but its just going up all the time...vey difficult to budget for a family of 5 when regular items have increased so much.
    Fighting the overdraft -1- no chocolate day -1- YES!!
    Proud Member 31 of the "104 Previews in "2008" Club. 28 seen 76 left (gosh!)
    thrown away the scales, they depress me.....sigh
  • Akom
    • 22nd Jul 09, 9:01 AM
    • 22nd Jul 09, 9:01 AM
    Both me and my DW are thrifty so we can clear our debts and go on holidays. So my vice would be holidays.

After all lifes for living
    • PaulChelt
    • By PaulChelt 22nd Jul 09, 9:41 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    PaulChelt
    Food Shopping
    Should of had food on there...its an everyday expence but its just going up all the time...vey difficult to budget for a family of 5 when regular items have increased so much.
    Originally posted by allsinginganddancing
    I agree, I put N - Other because food is my overspend. Occasionally my weekly shop is pleasantly low but usually it is miles over and I buy the same sort of stuff every week. Nice to know the supermarkets are making lots of profit though.
  • teddyco
    We always seem to OVERspend on taxes.
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 22nd Jul 09, 11:13 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    Nothing right now as I don't really have any money, but if I had to choose it's probably clothes (to be fair though that is because I've just started a new office job and am having to buy clothes that aren't jeans and T-shirts!). That said though depending on my situation it can vary - when my boyfriend and I were both still at uni I went through a few weeks of overspending on going out drinking because he was finishing and went out a *lot* to celebrate, which I couldn't really afford but sort of went along with (I know I know, but I wasn't really an au fait MSE then!).
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
    • eileenfromplaistow
    • By eileenfromplaistow 22nd Jul 09, 11:33 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    eileenfromplaistow
    Should have had another one - the kids!
    I grew up in the East End of London, struggle to afford school uniform and school trips. So although we are comfortable, I would definitely help the kids out even if money was short. Luckily, they also have a " spend only if you can afford it mentality ", but I have always wanted them not to feel left out.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 22nd Jul 09, 11:45 AM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 13,571 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    F, is my overspend. More than the budget but we have enough money not to go into debt because of it. Could cut back if needed to but we also eat out with friends so some of the cost should/does come out of our entertainments budget.
  • andrina_nightshade
    Hobbies for me - I can wander into a clothes shop, spend hours in there and come out empty handed. I can spend 10 minutes in a bookstore/arts and crafts shop, and come out minus £30
    £10 a day: March - August: £1653.54/£1840; September £92.86/£300
    NSD: April - August: 49 NSDs; September: 9/12
    101 in 1001 Project: 05/07/09 - 01/04/12 (8/101 completed)
  • BarbadosDream
    I think for me it has to be Holidays/Travelling and eating out. I love a good restaurant especially if it is outdoors next to the sea.
    Having to spend a lot more now on the gym though to get off all that weight.
    • Fuchsia_a
    • By Fuchsia_a 22nd Jul 09, 1:08 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Fuchsia_a
    Books!

They rarely have the genres / authors I'm after in public libraries so I end up buying them online, and I love browsing charity shops and frequently end up coming out with more than I can really carry without struggling. It's more of a storage problem than a money problem, though, and I have an absolutely huuuuuuuge backlog of things to read.
  • Moneysaver5
    I think for me it has to be Holidays/Travelling and eating out. I love a good restaurant especially if it is outdoors next to the sea.
    Having to spend a lot more now on the gym though to get off all that weight.
    Originally posted by BarbadosDream
    Are you me?

My money vices are holidays and eating out. I would estimate that I spend about £7,000-£10,000 per year on holidays and about £5,000 per year on eating out .

God, that is loads isn't it?! I didn't realise quite how much I was spending on these things until now!
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 22nd Jul 09, 3:52 PM
    • 6,237 Posts
    • 10,743 Thanks
    Gavin83
    My main vice is probably holidays. Currently Im going on around 6 holidays a year and it is by far my biggest expense. I guess in theory I can't really afford it but it's not putting me out of pocket.

This would be closely followed by eating out. I eat out an awful lot and I need to cut down really. I've been a lot better recently though.
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 22nd Jul 09, 4:07 PM
    • 8,451 Posts
    • 402,924 Thanks
    purplevamp
    I put 'F' but it's really takeaways not eating out that's my biggest vice. I've tried to cut back but I always get that feeling on a Friday :rolleyes:. In my defence I have cut it back to once a fortnight, so a little pat on the back for me

Edit: I've just worked out I spend around £600 a year on takeaways...
    Last edited by purplevamp; 22-07-2009 at 4:11 PM.
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £121,090.26 Jan 2038

Swagbucks ~ £280 (2018 ~ £350)
    Surveys ~ £216.90 (2018 ~ £287.85)
    PTC, etc ~ $120.75 ~ (2018 ~ $287.34)

“I Love You" "I Know"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,403Posts Today

7,861Users online

Martin's Twitter