Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 21st Jul 09, 1:10 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should you give up your night out due to swine flu?
    • 21st Jul 09, 1:10 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should you give up your night out due to swine flu? 21st Jul 09 at 1:10 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

You've booked a 50 tickets for a concert tonight however but are feeling slightly achey, snuffley and a bit hot, early swine flu symptoms. It's too late to sell them (you've tried), no refunds or exchanges are possible and you’re really looking forward to the concert. You want to go, but are worried you may infect others.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Archna; 21-07-2009 at 5:29 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 21st Jul 09, 8:56 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 21st Jul 09, 8:56 PM
    • 21st Jul 09, 8:56 PM
    Depends how bad I feel. If I am up to it I go.

Besides I can always have a few days on the sick if I am still poorly the next day.

Of course if it was man flu then for something as serious that I would stay home.

• laurenjade1402
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:22 PM
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:22 PM
    no chance, we're all going to get it anyway and everyone needs to stop panicking it's flu that's all.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 21st Jul 09, 10:29 PM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:29 PM
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:29 PM
    i wouldnt give up the ticket unless i felt really bad
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • Solomon_Broad
    • By Solomon_Broad 21st Jul 09, 10:59 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Solomon_Broad
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:59 PM
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:59 PM
    Remove the word "swine" from the question. Now would you go?

Anyway, if it's the flu, as opposed to a cold, you won't be going anywhere. That's how you tell the difference.
    • pennypinchUK
    • By pennypinchUK 21st Jul 09, 11:40 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    pennypinchUK
    • 21st Jul 09, 11:40 PM
    Martin is that Flu, or man flue?
    • 21st Jul 09, 11:40 PM
    Anyone who really has the flu couldn't even contemplate venturing away from their bed in a darkened room, or away from a conveniently positioned bucket. So your body will tell you before you get to make the decision for yourself......
  • hercules81
    • 21st Jul 09, 11:44 PM
    • 21st Jul 09, 11:44 PM
    Achey, snuffly a bit hot - its a cold go for it don't waste hard earned money
  • sismith42
    • 21st Jul 09, 11:56 PM
    • 21st Jul 09, 11:56 PM

Anyway, if it's the flu, as opposed to a cold, you won't be going anywhere. That's how you tell the difference.
    Originally posted by Solomon_Broad
    I was once off work for a week with a cold (got a doctor's note saying "bad cold" even) :-)
    That said: I would go to the concert, but feel a bit guilty about it. I suspect I wouldn't be the only one with the flu (swine or otherwise)...
  • persei7
    • 22nd Jul 09, 12:52 AM
    Lets Party!
    • 22nd Jul 09, 12:52 AM
    The general consensus seems to be that people would still go even if they had the Ebola virus. The more people get infected the harder they are going to work to find a cure.
  • janaltus
    I go to a lot of classical music concerts, where coughing and sneezing would ruin it for everyone else, and I'm happy to say it occurs only occasionally to such an extent that it stops you from enjoying the music. But I do wish concert promoters (particularly classical music promoters) provided incentives so the coughers and sniffers didn't turn up at all, having been given a full refund. Or maybe they could listen from the comfort of a luxurious and soundproofed booth?

I hope I'd be too embarrassed, and worried about disturbing my neighbours, to turn up and ruin it for everyone else!

Now, if only we could tackle those Classic FM-type listeners who insist on applauding at the end of each and every movement ...
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 22nd Jul 09, 6:07 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember

Very true. I was ill for 6 weeks with flu, including 2 weeks in hospital!! I'm vaccinated against normal flu now, so if I was that ill, I guess I'd assume it was swine flu.

If I wasn't so ill, I would still go, as it's likely to become mainstream, eg everyone'll get it anyway. I always wash my hands, carry hand gel and tissues anyway as well as covering my mouth and nose when I sneeze/cough.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 22nd Jul 09, 7:06 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    If I really want to go, and am well enough to go, a bit of a sniffle won't be getting in my way. I would keep a hanky handy though.
    Anyway, if it is anything along the lines of other flu's it shouldn't be contagious until it is almost over, AFAIK.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 22nd Jul 09, 7:33 AM
    • 7,672 Posts
    • 8,566 Thanks
    pelirocco

just what i was thinking , Ive had flu ( twice ) you wouldnt get out of bed if it was on fire , you certainly would not be able to go out !

Its something that really riles me , people saying they have flu , trust me , if you are able to stand up you havent got flu
    • phoebe03cat
    • By phoebe03cat 22nd Jul 09, 7:48 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    phoebe03cat
    Well, I honestly dont work for egg but now always use egg money to book tickets. The new insurance with the card would compensate you for tickets you are unable to use due to illness etc and hopefully you would still get the cashback. Combination of feeling megga rough and knowing I'd get my money back is a no brainer. Just seems a very useful insurance to have come with a card for once.
  • Cerisa
    Of course you should go, experts have already said containment is impossible and more people die from normal flu than swine flu.
    1600 overdraft
    100 Christmas Fund
  • nbt
    Usually by the time you see the symptoms, you are past the infectious stage, so as long as you feel up to going out, go out. As has been mentioned above, people dying from flu is nothing new: the spanish flu pandemic in 1918 killed more people than were killed in the whole 4 years of world war I.
    NBT : Notoriously Bad Typist
  • grrrl
    I disagree with "if you've got flu, you can't get out of bed".

I had flu for the first time before Christmas and I managed to get to work twice after being diagnosed by a doctor and work two half-days before giving up and just staying at home and resting. My company doesn't seem to like the idea of people staying off work so that other people don't get infected.

Throughout the time I was off, I felt exhausted and tired - I didn't want to do anything, but I made myself do the things I felt I needed to do.

If it was at the early stages, where it just felt like a cold, I'd be tempted to go and leave early if needs be. If you feel bad enough not to go, then the thought of going won't have as much appeal!
    Shopping around for insurance:
    150 saved on annual car insurance renewal
    41.52 saved on annual pet insurance renewal
    Total saved: 192.52
  • katcan
    Oasis Tickets
    I gave up my Oasis Wembley tickets two weeks ago due to a swine flu risk. But, it was because I did not want to catch it and the friend I was going with had come in contact with people that had it at her sons school. My Dad is ill in hospital so I did not want to risk passing it to him. Sadly it was a lastminute decision so lost my money and the opportunity.Katcan
  • katcan
    If I was ill I would not go, but because I felt ill not because I didn't want to pass it on.
  • Ali_UK
    I missed two gigs last week because I really just couldn't go, I felt too ill and was genuinely gutted to be missing both but in all honesty if I'd felt I had the energy I would have gone! I probably caught my flu from travelling on the tube, if it's going to get you it will, we can't all stay in quarantine until it goes away!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin