Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 20th Jul 09, 8:19 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Swine Flu & Summer Holidays: OFficial MSE Discussion
    • 20th Jul 09, 8:19 PM
    0 WOW
    Swine Flu & Summer Holidays: OFficial MSE Discussion 20th Jul 09 at 8:19 PM
    This is an official link to discuss the

Travel insurance, compensation & financial protection

MSE Guide.

To ask a question or discuss click reply.

Related Guides: Cheap Travel Insurance
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 21-07-2009 at 7:18 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • SHEILA54
    • By SHEILA54 21st Jul 09, 4:17 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 5,798 Thanks
    SHEILA54
    • 21st Jul 09, 4:17 AM
    • 21st Jul 09, 4:17 AM
    Hi

My family are looking for a single trip travel insurance to go to Disneyland Paris at the end of August, with low claim excess of possible.

With the swine flu crisis I have looked at a lot of policies but most say that they will not provide cover if you have undisclosed symptoms of any illness before travel.

Where does this leave anyone who may be coming down with it but just not be aware and can anyone see through the jargon and find a company that would provide cover?

There are 2 adults and 2 children, travelling by car, for 7 days. I have covered the accomodation so guess that this will be covered under my annual policy if anything goes wrong.

Thanks
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 21st Jul 09, 6:40 AM
    • 17,738 Posts
    • 13,851 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 21st Jul 09, 6:40 AM
    If you had swine flu symptoms,you would be unwise to ignore that.If you had the symptoms,you WOULD know wouldn't you.And yes,it would be your fault if you didn't disclose you had symptoms.
    Last edited by hollydays; 21-07-2009 at 6:46 AM.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 21st Jul 09, 6:40 AM
    • 20,737 Posts
    • 12,848 Thanks
    dacouch
    The Fortis Policy through a broker covers cancellation due to swine flu (If your advised by the Foreign Office not to travel) and includes medical expenses for swine flu.

(The Fortis policy from the Post Office has a different wording for cancellation)

Here is their policy wording http://www.fortisinsurance.co.uk/images/pdf/533.pdf

Here is where you can buy it from http://www.fortisinsurance.co.uk/policyholders/how-to-buy/
  • DelBoyPhil
    • 21st Jul 09, 8:03 AM
    • 21st Jul 09, 8:03 AM
    http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/ cover for swineflu but say if airline says we cant travel they wont pay us anything???????????

so will the airline pay our 7000 holiday cost lol they say no says virgin
  • britbloke
    • 21st Jul 09, 9:50 AM
    • 21st Jul 09, 9:50 AM
    I am British and my partner is French but has lived here for 11 years. She has a French passport. She is also 10 weeks pregnant. Both of us have insurance against cancellation/curtailment should one of us fall ill before or during the holiday. The UK seems to have the best route to flu treatment should either of us get Swine Flu in the UK, but what about her in particular if we're abroad?

We've trips booked to Italy and France; both countries would recognise her as a French national. Relenza seems to be the only treatment given to pregnant women. She's worried that she'll have less access to it abroad. Any advice on who to contact while abroad would be appreciated? Thank you.
  • insj1
    • 21st Jul 09, 9:52 AM
    • 21st Jul 09, 9:52 AM
    I have a travel insurance policy with Virgin Holidays which was arranged over 12 months ago before Swine flu had started. The provider is Mondial Assistance. After the outbreak, checked my policy and it has a general exclusion for pandemics. I phoned Mondial today, but cannot get an answer. Apparently, they are having a meeting about it today! Can anyone advise me of a provider that will provide cover. I am travelling to USA and am worried if I should require medical assistance due to swine flu whilst there as I will have to pay my own medical bills!
    Thank you
    litsj1
  • poet123
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:30 AM
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:30 AM
    Does anyone know what the position is on cruises? We are due to travel in 10 days and have a multi trip policy with direct travel, renewed in May.

To me a cruise ship is quite a likely place for someone to board with symptoms and for it to spread during the course of a 14 day holiday......good choice of hol for this year!!!
    Last edited by poet123; 21-07-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    • koolmummy
    • By koolmummy 21st Jul 09, 10:47 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    koolmummy
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:47 AM
    • 21st Jul 09, 10:47 AM
    http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/ cover for swineflu but say if airline says we cant travel they wont pay us anything???????????
    Originally posted by DelBoyPhil
    Not the case. If the airline refused you travel as they suspected that you were unwell with raised temperature etc, you would then need to contact your G.P ( by telephone)! - in order to obtain a medical certificate to say you were unfit to travel. You would be entitled to submit a cancellation claim.

You should also ensure that the airline give you a letter on headed paper stating the reason why they refused you on the flight.

• koolmummy
    • By koolmummy 21st Jul 09, 10:52 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    koolmummy
    Does anyone know what the position is on cruises? We are due to travel in 10 days and have a multi trip policy with direct travel, renewed in May.

To me a cruise ship is quite a likely place for someone to board with symptoms and for it to spread during the course of a 14 day holiday......good choice of hol for this year!!!
    Originally posted by poet123
    DTI will not regard a cruise as being any different to any other type of holiday.
    If you get ill before you travel and it is necessary for you to submit a claim for cancellation, if you have cancellation cover, you can do this.

If you get ill whilst ion the cruise, you have up to 10 million each for medical expenses etc.

I understand what you are saying about a cruise ship being an ideal place for Swine Flu to spread, but so is a plane, an office, supermarket etc.
  • DelBoyPhil
    I been told that virgin now have a doctor on call at the airport...
    • Chomeur
    • By Chomeur 21st Jul 09, 2:16 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Chomeur
    It strikes me that if you have a holiday planned in a month, say, the best course of action is to try to get swine flu as soon as possible. That way you should be over it by the time of your trip. Otherwise, if you get it just before your trip, (a) you'll feel lousy and concerned about how to get treatment at the start of your holiday, (b) the airline might not let you on the flight, and (c) the authorities at your destination may put you into quarantine.

Anyone with swine flu want to meet up for a drink?
    • eslick
    • By eslick 21st Jul 09, 2:21 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    eslick
    Hi

My family are looking for a single trip travel insurance to go to Disneyland Paris at the end of August, with low claim excess of possible.

With the swine flu crisis I have looked at a lot of policies but most say that they will not provide cover if you have undisclosed symptoms of any illness before travel.

Where does this leave anyone who may be coming down with it but just not be aware and can anyone see through the jargon and find a company that would provide cover?

There are 2 adults and 2 children, travelling by car, for 7 days. I have covered the accomodation so guess that this will be covered under my annual policy if anything goes wrong.

Thanks
    Originally posted by SHEILA54

If you havent got swine flu when you take out the insurance they insurance will cover you. The only thing thats not covered is if you want to cancel because you havent got it and are just worried. If you have it at the time of the holiday or cant fly home then the insurance will cover you just as it would for any other illness. You just need to follow the normal procedures.
  • spirella
    oul travel insurance
    hi i am trying to book the annual worldwide family policy with oul for 39 via moneysupermarket as recommeded but the only one coming up is 46.95 . have they increased the price or am i looking in the wrong place please help :confused:

many thanks
    kay
  • ukitr
    Not the case. If the airline refused you travel as they suspected that you were unwell with raised temperature etc, you would then need to contact your G.P ( by telephone)! - in order to obtain a medical certificate to say you were unfit to travel. You would be entitled to submit a cancellation claim.

You should also ensure that the airline give you a letter on headed paper stating the reason why they refused you on the flight.
    Originally posted by koolmummy
    This worries me. The exclusion applicable to most policies state
    "any claim which arises directly or indirectly from not being allowed to board the flight, train, sea vessel or coach for any reason whatsoever."

Just imagine the scenario: early morning flight, refused entry to the plane and need to contact my GP before the flight departs.
  • DelBoyPhil
    I know.. maybe a idea to get a letter from the doc day before saying that you are fine to travel? To me this seems like a loophole waiting to be used by the insurance companies
    • wannaberichbtch
    • By wannaberichbtch 21st Jul 09, 8:37 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    wannaberichbtch
    I don't think this will be a problem if you have a policy which was bought 6 months ago, but can definately see pandemic exclusions being introduced as a clause for policy's being issued, or renewed now, and it is apparent that travel insurance providers are reviewing this issue urgently. If you are buying or renewing now, or have done so recently it's important to be very clear that you are covered.
    • kaytata
    • By kaytata 22nd Jul 09, 12:33 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    kaytata
    the best quotes i've gotten are oul and insurewithease..
    oul confirmed as not having a clause about swine flu.

ive read and reread the clause for insurewithease and hope i am right in saying that they do not have a clause on pandemics. id rather go with them for the quidco cashback
  • xandertarr
    Does anyone know how we stand if the destination country imposes a travel ban? Assuming the FCO doesn't add a reciprocal statement would I still be covered for cancellation?

I'm with Sainsburys Bank Travel Insurance, and they don't appear to have a pandemic exlcusion thankfully. But under the cancellation only mention cover for when the FCO declare not to travel to the destination country, no mention of if the other country has any extra rules.
  • salist
    Swine flu and travel insurance
    Your Q & A seems to mainly refer to air travel but some of us still travel by rail and or ferries. How would we be affected/covered ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter