Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    25th Jun 09 at 3:57 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-06-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 30
  • BlimusOreilly
    I did a greatly satisfying shop in Mr M's. The total was £37.34 after using £6 PC vouchers and a £4 off when you spend £40 voucher. There were £7.95 worth of multi-saves and loads of whoopsied meat which has all gone in the frezer.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

• Moniker
    • By Moniker 17th Jul 09, 5:32 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi folks

Did my main shop today in Sainsbury's and have just updated sig. Only have £25-50 left to last till 31st! Hm, might be a question of damage limitation I think!

In case anyone's interested Sainsbury's 1% fat milk is down to 75p per 2ltr bottle.

Will be out at my baby bro's birthday barbie tomorrow and MIL has inivited us to supper on Tuesday, so that's two fewer meals to worry about.

Have just made a luscious lemon cake as I needed to have the oven on to cook the fish florentine I have for supper tonight and I hate heating up the oven for just one dish. Smells great and makes me feel hungry.

Hope the rain hasn't ruined anyone's evening - have a good one.

Moniker
  • hermoine
    I am not doing at all well again this month, maybe I need to rethink the challenge amount. Although this is a 5 week month for us.

I went to Sainsburys and spent £28.16. Will update my signature.

Got 6 jars of 4p curry sauce though.

Just remembered £2 for eggs from the farm as well.

Oh well, damage limitation.

H

• Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Jul 09, 6:10 PM
    • 10,585 Posts
    • 54,639 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well I made my toad in the hole, and I really enjoyed it. I made more mix then I needed so I have now got 6 small yorkshires cooked, to freeze as well. Only snag was that the dish I used was a camping pan,(one of the kids Army Cadet stuff), and it wasnt non stick, so I have a dish to scrub now. I also used powdered milk instead of fresh. It worked well, and they were the best Yorkshires I have done in an electric oven in years!!!! (pity nobody was here to witness it!). No camera to take pictures. My mobile is out of memory. Need to find the wires to download pictures of grandchildren etc before I can use it again.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 17th Jul 09, 6:16 PM
    • 19,889 Posts
    • 53,362 Thanks
    elantan
    hubby just informed he he has finished another aftershave...he informed me with such passion i couldnt help but laugh ...i dont know whether to be happy or not ...happy he is finally using up the 2 dozen half used bottles that he has or worried cause i will need to go and buy more eventually
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 17th Jul 09, 7:20 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Hi all well been good do far since the other day when i spent about £8ish on stuff, puff pastry and veg, cheese.
    Yes i cant make puff pastry tried and failed many times so now resort to buying it, its cheaper in the short run.Bought a double pack so used one yesterday.

Anyway decided to use the sausage meat that been in the freezer for a few months so thought i would post it up here.

Sausage and stuffing plait.
    1 large onion
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 pack of sausage meat (494grams)
    1 pack of puff pastry
    1/2 small pack of sage and onion stuffing

Fry onion and garlic, whilst cooking mix stuffing with some water, till cooked.
    Mix the above with the sausage meat.
    Roll out pastry into a rectangle shape.
    Fill the middle of the pastry with the meat mix, then fol pastry over into a sausage roll shape.
    Place onto a greased baking tray and cook till pastry is brown, about 25 mins.
    Serve hot or cold.

The above did us two meals with extras for the boys.
    I served it with veg, mash and gravy for one meal and chips and beans the other.

Got about 12 bags of asparagus in the freezer in the as well as loads of leeks whoopsied from Mr M.

The summer holidays are here and its been raining for 18 hours straight, everywhere is flooding.
    Grrr stinking rain grrrr
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 17th Jul 09, 7:27 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    not been on but blow as i said before ive finally realised the error of my ways ive planned all meals for the next month on my tesco shop my august starts tomorrow so
    mrs m pop me down for £200 for august ...
    this time im doing it i managed 11 nsd's altogether last month i want more and will do so x
    Still searching .....
  • Julimk
    My name is Juli & I am a cookbook addict … and I know there are a few others on here.

I didn’t have any actual grocery spend today. But I was meeting a friend for coffee after work (no cost to me) & as he was late I wandered into a nearby bookstore (Waterstone’s), which had Caribbean Food Made Easy for half price.

I have Indian Food Made Easy, though I prefer her earlier book Indian Food Everyday, which is well used. And I have Chinese Food Made Easy, which is also well used. So it seemed obvious that I ‘needed’ to buy this book (& I am 1/16th Caribbean! LOL)

Read it on the train home & loads I want to try, especially the fish dishes & first the fish pie with a sweet potato & coconut topping!
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 17th Jul 09, 8:48 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 10,115 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Hi everyone
    Thanks for all your support, just to let you know the move is underway with everything getting packed and boxes galore!!
    It was a no spend day for me grocery wize so I'm happy but I thought I'd appologise in advance for my upcoming absence.....
    It's gonna b a while before I'm gonna catch up with spends for this month to update online but I'll be put down for
    £250 in August please Mrs M x Thanks
    I'll catch up with you all as soon as I can!
    Keep up the good work everyone
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 1 MAY GC /£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 17th Jul 09, 8:56 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Hi Juli - I'm Julie and I too am a cookbook addict! - I love them - just reading them makes me feel nice and warm

Well I'm not going to stay within my budget this month but not too bad with the help of coupons at T's - its my veg bag and eggs where I can't get the discount.

My lovely neighbor keeps giving me veg from his allotment - I give him all my veg cast offs for compost so its not a bad deal. Though I am overrun with courgettes at the moment however I did make a lovely courgette and tomato bake for tea with some bread to mop up the juices - yummy. I'm becoming more veggie by the day, though never completely.

Typical cat though has decided that he doesn't like the tinned food I've switched him to - so will try another brand tmrw, he normally gets pouches but they're soooo expensive compared to tinned and it is the same brand -fussy !!!!!!. Also gonna nip to Mr S to try this 4p curry - bargain! I feel a courgette curry coming on
    House bought - now to clear the mortgage
    • 1HANNAH
    • By 1HANNAH 17th Jul 09, 8:59 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 3,673 Thanks
    1HANNAH
    I know that feeling! hubby still has about 4 out of 14 bottles that were all on the go!
    Following to keep us debt free
  • Janae
    Hi
    Not posted much recently but have just gone through a pile of receipts and done an update.
    Total spend so far £252.68 so £47.38 to last 8 days. Should be ok but am having to start next month's shopping early as I want to fill up the freezer ready for the next three weeks - anticipating a busy time ahead at work.
    At least I don't need to buy runner beans or courgettes - veg patch doing well with these

Hope everyone's challenge is going well.

kj
    GC April 93.92/500
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 18th Jul 09, 7:45 AM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 36,947 Thanks
    Natty68
    Morning campers Was good yesterday and only spent £38.36 and got some good deals. Managed to make over £6.00 in savings too.. I was quite surprised as Mr A had energy light bulbs at 4 for £1.00. Not bad considering they were priced up at £1.00 each.. So obviously we bought 8 screw type ones to stock us up. We did need them as we have absolutely loads of the bayonet but none of the screw ones, and what do most of my lights in the house take - yep screw ones. So I now have a selection of each We also managed to get 10 small baguettes that had been reduced at to 5p each, so these have gone into the freezer for DH's lunch this week, and two for us on Sunday. Thought I might make baguette pizzas for lunch Half the price of rolls too, and more filling too, shame I didn't have more room in the freezer otherwise I would have bought the price of rolls in baguettes..lol

Anyway must update signature and get dressed as we are heading off to the County Show today

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
  • dreamer40
    Hi, I have spent £14.45 and £24.55 since last weekend. Total so far for the month is £75.59.
    Started to use my breadmaker again and our allotment is doing well with veg. I have been using what is in the freezer and there is still a lot to use, will plan next weeks menu around what is in the freezer and I need to do a shopping list as well for tomorrow.
    "Always bear in mind, that very little indeed is necessary for living a happy life" Marcus Aurelius.

• kippers
    • By kippers 18th Jul 09, 10:58 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    kippers
    Hi Mrs M...I'm back after months of intense studying.

Pls put me down for £300 for August

(I'm glad to be back)
    • merzal
    • By merzal 18th Jul 09, 11:16 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 1,805 Thanks
    merzal
    Over the past couple of days I spent:
    £19.25 in Sainsburys (mostly on alcohol as we have people coming over tonight!)
    £1.10 in Co-op on two pasties and 2 pizzas that were reduced!!

So i have spent £27.18 - £12.82 left so not too bad, all I need to buy is salad, veg, fruit, milk and bread for the final 10days so I should do it!
  • natsing
    Have overspent again this month, but only by £10! I'm declaring £130 for July as I go pay day to payday, and I get paid next Friday, think I'll try £120 next month too.
    Debt free 11/05/11!

Savings £4000/ £300
  • Olliebeak
    Well I have travelled around a fair bit and as my job is effectively that of observation that is what I do when Im abroad. Stand in tescos and watch a housewife go for whatever is cheapest She will just pick up a packet of apples say granny smiths and not really know anything about where they are from. french housewife picks up packet of say coxes and thinks or sees UK on the label and puts them back..................
    Originally posted by absolutebounder
    Well aren't you the lucky one!

The average British housewife doesn't normally have that kind of luxury in life!

Most of us are trying to make an average (or below average) household/shopping budget stretch to feed a husband/partner and at least a couple of children with all the preferences that entails.

Many of us don't have the time/inclination to stand and observe what other people do in a supermarket - we're too busy counting the pennies in our purses and hoping that we've got enough to cover the shopping bill while trying to control/find any children that may have 'done a bunk through boredom'.

Some of us have also done a full day's work BEFORE going shopping but still have a hungry family back home to feed AFTER doing the shopping.

As a country, Britain does not have the variety of 'local produce' available that France does - mostly due to our climate - many of us are concerned about buying local whenever we possibly can. We make meals that utilise local ingredients and appeal to British tastes - one reason why we often cook Chicken Casserole as opposed to Coq au Vin!

While I recognise your wider experience of international shopping habits, please realise that you do not represent the average British housewife.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 18th Jul 09, 12:47 PM
    • 10,585 Posts
    • 54,639 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Today I have put two more of the butchers sausages, cut into inches, into the slow cooker, along with a couple of wilting celery sticks, a diced green pepper, a couple of old carrots, a red onion, and a clove of garlic, with thinned down gravy left from last nights toad in the hole. I have a few new potatoes left which I will boil and serve with the above. The meal is really only supposed to be for me, so I dont mind not having very much meat. This will leave me the last two sausages for Sunday. I feel a cooked breakfast is coming on.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • ceridwen
    ..and my mental arithmetic for the day (to keep the brain ticking over okay) is wondering whether I've started counting on my second hand yet how many of MSE Martin's proposed yellow cards for bad behaviour would have been handed out so far on this thread......

..goes off waiting to see whether this thread heads back towards the original topic and I can see how much I was wasting compared to other people and whether I'm still being a bit wasteful......

Thought for the day....picked me some fresh beetroot from the garden and will be making sure I have the leaves in a minute - think I might try sauted with a bit of butter and garlic and some lemon juice over them this time.....There WAS a time when I didnt know one could eat the leaves...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,840Posts Today

7,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Mr_S_David: @MartinSLewis I don?t have a lot, but feel I?m more fortunate than a lot so hit the HAVE button, it?s not rocket science or?

• It's fascinating how some seem almost angry with me for "not defining haves and have-nots." Yet that's not the p? https://t.co/2gC22t7YAJ

• RT @melanie__King: @MartinSLewis ?Haves? to me isn?t financial or materialistic, it?s mainly about freedom of mind, not being oppressed and?

• Follow Martin