IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE news: The £95 parking ticket for taking too long to spend

Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 15 July 2009 at 6:17PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"A motorist was smacked with a £95 parking ticket for taking "too long" spending £400 at a Homebase store. When he refused to pay, he was threatened with court action, bailiffs, a botched credit file and wage deductions.

His crime? He'd parked for 52 minutes too long at the store, despite spending that time bolstering the retailer's profits...."

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Must remember to shop at focus in future :)
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As usual, the media have got it all wrong and called it a "fine".
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd be tempted to take the table and chairs plus reporter back to homebase, ask for the manager and demand my money back as it costs so much to park there I could not now afford the dining set. That should concentrate their mind,a bit.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • pixwix
    pixwix Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm eternally amazed there's anyone still daft enough to shop at places like Homebase. Used to be a fairly decent DIY shop, but totally down the tubes since the takeover. It's the only shop I know where prices actually rise during their 'sales' - and that's personal observation, not pub chat. And like so many shops in that Group, the first casualty seems to be common sense PR on the part of 'managers' who seem to have not the slightest authority or common sense.

Personally, if I was Mr Alcock, I'd print multiple copies of this whole story - one to display in my car window, and the rest to put under the windscreen wipers of other users of that carpark. And of course - just possibly - take the hint and stay out of shops like Homebase.
  • duggie1982
    duggie1982 Posts: 717 Forumite
    I was amazed whilst reading this story. I do use homebase alot but I think I'll just stay away now, even though my local store does not use such shocking measures.

Well done for getting it on MSE so more people can see how much a farce this store really is.

P.S. No doubt your ticket will be sorted now or in the near future but its shocking to hear that you need to go through making sure that everyone can see how much this is like daylight robbery.
  • As another poster has said, I would take the full £400 of goods back and demand my money back. See how quickly they can cancel a fine then.
    :j [STRIKE]Debt Free[/STRIKE] Savings Wannabe! :j
    Current problems: £107 overdrawn in bank, £112 in unpaid DD's
    Savings made: £0 :(
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    But why are even MSE calling this a "fine" when it isn't? I would have thought that anyone who works for MSE should have got the message now, and the fact that these "fines" are unenforceable. Parky must be rubbing his hands over this.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Nice try, MSE, but couldn't you have got someone to give that story the once over? They are not fines.

Bit of a wasted opportunity, really.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    He spent 2 Hrs 22Mins to buy a table and chairs
    yeh pull the other one!
  • I share the sentiments of the poster above re time taken but as a married man I am aware that shopping is not as simple as a list and the quik purchase

Hell is spent IKEA in swedish:rotfl:

That said

"Unauthorised parking is a real problem for businesses, where valuable parking spaces, reserved for genuine customers or staff, are being abused."

if the time is not disputed and the fact is he was in the store the whole time then G24 just dont get it [ or actually they do get it £95 of it for being the !!!!!! turpins ]

parking restrictions fine if applied with a element of common sense rather than a eye for the profilt and loss account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure