Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    25th Jun 09 at 3:57 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-06-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 24
    • elantan
    • By elantan 15th Jul 09, 1:04 PM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 53,517 Thanks
    elantan
    right well that didnt work out too good ...i went to the shop and bought one loaf of bread 1.75 one onion 24p mixed peppers 1.23 mushrooms 39p for four (that aint cheap) one tofu pack 1.58 and six corn on the cobs 2 got them cause they were on buy two get one free ...so have spent 7.19 in food today ...this isnt going according to plan peeps ...ok i will have enough to do me two days for dinner with the scrambled tofu ...maybe i should try and get a lunch as well and the corn on the cob is for lunch two at a time ...and one dinner but that's just me hubby has to get fed as well ...

mmmm this isnt going to be easy is it
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • elantan
    • By elantan 15th Jul 09, 1:05 PM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 53,517 Thanks
    elantan
    oh and it didnt help the fact i thought hey dont take the car walk it up the street ...but none of the shops do tofu in the village so i had to go to the town which is about 15 mins each way in a car ...so costing me diesel as well ....

am gonna sit down and try and figure out a way to make this cheaper ....i plan on batch cooking at the weekend (i am night shift so will need to do it over two days) some things for hubby ...spag bog anyone lol ...oh and then spicy spag bog that should do two days ...does lamb mince when cooked with spices etc freeze well? doi have lamb mince

i think i should start with a inventory
    Last edited by elantan; 15-07-2009 at 1:22 PM.
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 15th Jul 09, 1:31 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi everyone, have been away for a couple of days (a wet weekend in Bournemouth!) and so have got out of touch. I managed to do a mini shop in Waitrose on Monday when we got back and spent less than 30 including a bottle of wine and a pack of mince. I have updated my signature and have about 70 to last till 31st. Hm..might be difficult as we will be having DD1 here some of the time as she is moving out of her bedsit prior to departing for Germany on 1st August. However, I have a 'big shop' to do on 17th and 24th and ought to be able to keep it to under 35 each as I have plenty of stuff in the freezer, so here's hoping we can do it!

Cooked two chicken breasts in breadcrumbs in the oven for lunch and made a big batch of hob nobs to take advantage of the oven being on as well - DH is very pleased! Made a double quantity of bolognese sauce in the slow cooker yesterday and froze half so doing quite well.

Have begun my annual clear out of my kitchen cupboards but am making slow progress (have only done two cupbaords and two drawers so far) but I do feel better for doing it - I suppose I had better get back to it!

Catch up later.

Moniker
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 15th Jul 09, 1:35 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi there,
    Not been on here for a few days....today is the start of our financial month, and grocery fund replenished (although 100 less than normal month as away end of this month).
    Spent 32 in Tesco today, and a few pounds locally, so approx 35-37. This was plenty of sausages and chicken and also some other stuff (incl. Bold that is on offer- I got the liquigel). Hoping to spend minimally with another 2-3 similar sized/slightly smaller shops, before we go on hols later on in the month.
    Not much else to report, hoping all are well, and might read the thread sometime soon .
    x
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 15th Jul 09, 1:40 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    Weekend just gone and my spend was less than 25. I seem to be doing really well this time. Living without credit seems to make it easier ... or that's one way of putting it.
    Highest debt: 35k (2005); Current debt: 6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; 50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; 2,500 cash; 36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; 1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon all

Elf -hope your little one is better soon
    I have to add a bit more to my spends .....

Got some bargaind for the freezer though -so they will get used next month...
    • 3 pork escallops (600g) @ 1.49 x 2
    • pack 6 fresh chicken breasts @ 2.00 x 2
    • 2 packs ready rolled puff pastry @ 49c
    • 18 huge peaches @ 2.00 -i only got them yesterday ..and only have 4 left
    these were all on offer -not whoopsed
    Then whoopsed in the naafi blocks of double gloucester were 75c -so I got all 7 for the freezer ... they should have been 19.09
    so thats another 15.21 to add to the total...we will be nipping to the bigger naafis on Saturday as I want some yankee candles -on offer at 2 for 22 for the big jars.... so hubby is getting me some for my anniversary and Im going to get some more out of the cash saved from NOT buying ANY magazines for 6 months ..I need some soft dark brown sugar so i can make some more courgette muffins (for the freezer if Im quick enough ) I have quite a few courgettes ready so that will make use of some of those... and I need some more eggs as I want to try some bitter orange and poppy seed ones -will post recipe if they are good
    oohhh and I knew that my random recipe I spotted in one of my books would come in handy one day.. I have a recipe for DOG BISCUITS in one of my bread making books :confused:...so thought it might come in as I saw the talk of home made ones the other day...it made in a BM.... but you can soon convert it to hand made if need be,, so here you go:-
    1. 1 cup warm chicken stock -21-28 degrees
    2. 2tbs milk powder
    3. 2tbs olive oil
    4. 1/2tsp salt
    5. 1 beaten egg
    6. 2 cups white bread flour
    7. 1 1/2 cups plain brown flour
    8. 1tsp yeast
    • put in the BM machine in the order according to your machine and set to "dough"
    • turn out and knead lightly
    • roll out to approx 1/2" thickness
    • using a cutter -(they have a bone one in the book )cut out the dough and place on a lightly floured baking sheet
    • rest for 20 mins
    • place in a pre-heated oven -gas 6/200c/400f and bake for 10 mins
    • reduce temp to gas 2/150c/300f and bake for 15 mins -depending on size of biscuit-until golden, crisp and hollow sounding
    • cool on a rack and then store in an airtight container
    Hope thats some use to someone..
    right Im back off to my x-stitching ..pasta salad for tea tonight, so nice and easy
    hope everyone is well
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • got-it-spend-it
    • By got-it-spend-it 15th Jul 09, 2:05 PM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 26,648 Thanks
    got-it-spend-it
    Hi Elantan, have you checked out the meal plan thread on here? You basically decide on your meals for the week (I tend not to allocate specific meals to specific days, but most folk do). You can do this based on what you already have in, needs using up etc then write a list for whatever else you need, plus whatever you need for breakfasts etc and the stick to the list.

I personally find that online shopping is the best way to do this for me. You don't necessarily need to cook a big meal each night, and in fact a good way to keep costs down is to have an omlette night, a jacket potato night, a soup night etc....

I personally would look at it as having a budget for 56 for the week, rather than 8 a day. That way you can do the majority of your shopping then see what you have leftover for extras.

Good luck with it. A couple of threads maybe worth checking out are Weezl's 50p a day thread and Mbaz's feed the family for 20 . Lots of cheap meal ideas.
    Yummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator
    • elantan
    • By elantan 15th Jul 09, 2:22 PM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 53,517 Thanks
    elantan
    cheers i remember the the weezl thread from last year the fun and goings on over slugs had me in stitches will have a look at this meal planner ...so you dont think 8 a day is a good way of going then ...hmmm probably a good point ...i have just over 20 left in the tub to do us till monday thats four days but i am away all day tomorrow working so i shouldnt spend anything that day ...just had a wee quick squint at the meal plan thread i think that is what i am going be looking at thanks
    • TotallyBroke
    • By TotallyBroke 15th Jul 09, 2:51 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    TotallyBroke
    Try and forward plan slightly. You bought 4 mushrooms for 39p. If you had spent a bit more and bought a 200gm/400gm tub you could've sliced and frozen them. They would be ready then to throw into a spag bol etc. I was lucky a few months back I bought an 800gm tub in Tesco in the reduced to clear section for 50p. See if you can do the same with regards to the reduced to clear, buy the veg and freeze. Somethings you will need to parboil but others you won't, just be careful with the prewashed and cut packed veg this does not freeze so well.
    The best thing to do as you suggested was to do an inventory or cupboards, fridge and freezer and then plan your meals around what you already have. I agree you should put aside for washing powder etc.
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 15th Jul 09, 2:52 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    18 huge peaches @ 2.00 -i only got them yesterday ..and only have 4 left
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    lol I am getting visions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but instead if seeing someone turning into a giant blackcurrant I am seeing MrsM morph into a giant peach lol. At least they are good for you, although tbh that's quite a lot of sugar in 14 peaches is it not ? It's a shame you cannot grow those in your appotment .
    Anyway sorry for being off topic, just made me smile!
    • elantan
    • By elantan 15th Jul 09, 3:05 PM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 53,517 Thanks
    elantan
    ok another of my many silly questions ...can you freeze mushrooms?...and if so how well do they freeze ?

the reason i bought 4 was cause that was all i needed and i didnt want to waste any ...we have bought them before loads of times and wasted them and i thought (in my wisdom) i aint wasting anymore ...so just bought the four ...

freezing mushrooms well i never ...

how much do you think i should put by a day for washing up liquid toilet rolls etc ...i was thinking 1.50 hence the reason i only have just over 20 left to do me till monday

can you tell home making isnt a strong point of mine thanks for that will do that from now on
    Last edited by elantan; 15-07-2009 at 3:09 PM.
    • TotallyBroke
    • By TotallyBroke 15th Jul 09, 3:24 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    TotallyBroke
    Yes you can freeze raw mushrooms, just slice them, lay them on a baking tray until frozen then pop them into a bag. Then pop them into a spag bol at the last moment so they are thawed. You will not be able to fry them or anything but to add into food it won't make a difference.
    If you can try and get hold of a copy of the Mrs. Beaton books at the libary she tells you what you can freeze and how. I have a copy if you would like me to post up some freezing guildlines I will do.

How much do toilet rolls normally cost you per week/month? How long will an 80wash bag of soap powder last you? This will give you an idea of when you will need to buy those things and so you can meal plan accordingly. If you batch freeze some portions you could save them for the weeks you buy non food items.
    My bug bear is toilet roll, if I buy the cheap stuff I use more of it so now I buy a good one and limit the amount of squares I'm allowed to use. Some people squash the roll on the holder to restrict the amount.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 15th Jul 09, 3:38 PM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 53,517 Thanks
    elantan
    right i am gonna buy mushrooms in the cheap smart price box from now on and freeze them ...adding them into dishes is what i tend to do ..rarely do i fry them ...a 90 wash box ofbold lasts me oh i honestly dont know i would say about 4 months or so i know my friend usually uses three to my one (i have been trying to use just a wee bit at a time ...it seems to work) toilet paper well i dont have a holder so crushing it wouldnt help ( i saw that on the tips thread and thought ..if only..) i think i pay about 4 for 9 rolls but i am not sure ...this is alot of my problem ...i dont know the prices of what i have bought ...i basically have been very negligent in this area i think thats why the prices of mushrooms surprised me

i would be grateful for any help at all totally broke ...

i have got to grips with the money transferring 0% balance stuff that the dfw board teaches us it helped me get out of debt the last time i enjoyed it ...but this stuff is all new to me i found it hard enough keeping on top of the finances the last time ...but i honestly think it is gonna have to be a two pronged attack in order for it to work properly and i think between the two boards i should get it this time ...

right i am off to take stock of the freezer
    • elantan
    • By elantan 15th Jul 09, 3:48 PM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 53,517 Thanks
    elantan
    ok freezer contents (didnt take me long did it)
    brown bread (quite a bit)
    baguettes(2)
    pita bread
    cinamon loaf
    chopped spinach
    sweetcorn
    sorbets (various flavours 6)
    frozen mixed fruit (suitable for smoothies)
    frozen cherries (ditto)
    ice-cream (2 tubs)
    spring roll pastry wraps (approx 300 wraps worth)
    1lb lamb mince
    2lb steak mince
    quorn fillets(4)
    some bread crumb covered food (i have not got a clue hubby took them outa the box)

thats it ...painful thought i would have had more
  • rosieben
    I changed my mind about shopping - I was in the village visiting and had letters to post so I dipped into the coop and got a few bits, including a couple of offers for the freezer so 11.40 spent and not a NSD after all
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • eckythump
    do you like soup?
    they are very cheap and easy to make,most freeze well and can really strech out a budget.
    why not give the breadmaker another try because at 1.75 a loaf it would be cheaper to use the breadmaker and let Hubbie eat a loaf a time!
    At least it would fill him up lol
    I have a good recipe for the B.M that is just yeast,flour,salt and water...no other faffy stuff needed.
    It is very cheap to make.
  • eckythump
    which supermarkets are you able to shop at?
    • elantan
    • By elantan 15th Jul 09, 3:55 PM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 53,517 Thanks
    elantan
    i do like soup ...but here we go another silly bit ...i thought soup was for winter (ok dont all hit me at once)

i do agree the bread is extortionate hence the reason i bought the bread maker to begin with ...i dont know if just now would be a good time to re-introduce it but if i can see progress (and lets face it i have no choice) then i will deff bring it back onto the table ...likewise with the slow cooker (maybe by then i wont be as fussy lol)
    • elantan
    • By elantan 15th Jul 09, 3:57 PM
    • 19,980 Posts
    • 53,517 Thanks
    elantan
    which supermarkets are you able to shop at?
    Originally posted by eckythump

without taking the car it would be somerfield and the co-op with the car tesco (30 mins each way roughly) asda (15 mins each way roughly) aldi(30 mins each way roughly ...in the other direction from tesco though) liddl (45 mins away roughly ) could all be less or more though
    • elf06
    • By elf06 15th Jul 09, 3:58 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Hi all and thanks for all the hugs - to add insult to injury I have also just been told that he has a bi-lateral middle ear infection (or something) and both of his ears are really sore looking. This is probably adding to the 40.1 c temp he has so now he has a course of tamiflu, course of antibiotics and I have to keep giving him ibuprofen and calpol to keep temp down. This goes against the grain for me as I hate taking and giving meds if at all possible but I guess this time its important

As for meals I should have enough in to do me and I have a few good friends who have offered to go shopping for me and leave it at the door

Honestly it would be funny if it werent so scary
    Emma

Aug GC - 88.17/130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,179Posts Today

7,461Users online

Martin's Twitter