Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 14th Jul 09, 7:06 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    100 cashback & more on 12-mth O2 SIMplicity SIM-only mobile contracts - 11.25/mth!
    • 14th Jul 09, 7:06 PM
    100 cashback & more on 12-mth O2 SIMplicity SIM-only mobile contracts - 11.25/mth! 14th Jul 09 at 7:06 PM
    21 September 2009

What's this about?

Until the end of September, a cashback site's offering 100 and a free 10 O2 Money card when you sign up for a 12-month, SIM-only O2 contract. Since the network's popular SIMplicity contracts offer top value anyway, this is a great bonus.

The cheapest package usually costs 19.58/mth for twelve months. So, factoring in the cashback over the course of it, the monthly cost is reduced to 11.25.

How do I get it?

First you'll need to sign up with the cashback site if you haven't already. The site doing the deal, Quidco*, takes the first 5 you earn each year as an admin fee, so if this is the only cashback you earn from it, the total return will be 95.

Now you need to click through to O2 via your chosen cashback site's special link, logging in on the way if you need to. It'll take you to O2's online shop, where you can buy the contract normally. Take care to select a 12-month SIMplicity package; the first tab it shows is for one-month deals (which start at 9.79/mth).

If you've previously looked at the O2 SIMplicity deal (either direct or on a comparison site) it's worth clearing your web browser's cookies before going to O2 via the link above, as they may interfere with the tracking process. If you don't know how to do this, see the AboutCookies site.

After a few days your cashback account should show that the cashback's tracked, though the amount of money it shows is likely to be incorrect. That should update in due course (within a month, when it's validated), and you should be paid within 60 days.

Cashback deals are never 100% guaranteed, though with special deals like this one they tend to work out. If you're unfamiliar with how they work, then it'll pay to read the Cashback Sites guide before doing this.

Free 10 O2 Money card on top.

As an added bonus, take up this deal and you'll also get an O2 Money prepaid card, loaded with 10 to spend on anything you like. You needn't top it up if you don't want to: just spend the pre-loaded tenner and ditch it.

The O2 Money card's a reasonable, if not amazing proposition for UK spending if you do want to keep it, and offers handy real-time balance updates by text. Read the full Prepaid Cards guide for the current top deals.

Will this suit me?

While this deal is undoubtedly incredible value for the right person, it's still a waste of money if you won't use the minutes, texts and add-ons it offers. Use a comparison site like Onecompare* or Mobilephonechecker* to see if there's another tariff that's more suitable for you before plumping for this, and remember you'll need a decent, unlocked (or O2-locked) handset to put the SIM in.

Read the full Cheap Mobiles guide if you're in the market for a new handset.

What's SIMplicity?

It's the name O2 gives its SIM-only packages, designed for people that already have the (unlocked) handset they want, but just want decent value usage. It's especially good for those who use a lot of data, as it's possible to choose an unlimited mobile web bolt on which lets you surf as much as you want (within reason) in the UK.

For 19.58/mth you get 800 mins and a massive 1600 texts, plus importantly you get to choose one inclusive add on from the following:

- Unlimited O2 to O2 calls
    - Unlimited texts
    - Unlimited weekend calls
    - Unlimited landline calls
    - 200 extra anytime minutes
    - Unlimited Wi-Fi (at BT Openzone hotspots)
    - Unlimited Web Bolt On (subject to fair usage)

Super-prolific, bordering-on-obsessive mobile users can opt for the 29.38/mth SIMplicity package instead, which offers a huge 1600 minutes and 3200 texts. This works out at 21.05/mth once the cashback's factored in.

Related Guides

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Thanks to Austin for originally posting details of this deal below! This post has been inserted to provide a full explanation.

* Using these links helps the site stay ad-free and free to use, as they're 'affiliated links' which invisibly take you via commercial price comparison services like Moneysupermarket or Find, which then pay this site per click.

You shouldn't notice any difference, the links don't impact the product at all and the editorial line (the things I write) is NEVER impacted by the revenue. If it isn't possible to get an affiliate link for the best product, it is still recommended and still included. The following http://www.quidco.com/o2, http://www.topcashback.co.uk/retailerdetailO2.htm, http://www.onecompare.com, http://www.mobilephonechecker.co.uk are identical unaffiliated links provided for the sake of transparency. Click the following link for more details on how this site's financed.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 21-09-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • austin
    • By austin 23rd Jul 09, 12:54 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 1,027 Thanks
    austin
    • 23rd Jul 09, 12:54 AM
    Quidco: 100 cashback on o2 12 month sim only contract
    • 23rd Jul 09, 12:54 AM
    Hurry!

o2/Quidco are currently offering a massive £100 cashback for obtaining a 12 month sim only contract via the Quidco site.

This offer is available until Midnight Monday 3rd August 2009
    [EDIT] offer has now been extended until further notice.

http://www.quidco.com/o2/
    Last edited by austin; 04-08-2009 at 9:03 PM.
    • ukchriss
    • By ukchriss 23rd Jul 09, 11:43 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 8,797 Thanks
    ukchriss
    • 23rd Jul 09, 11:43 AM
    • 23rd Jul 09, 11:43 AM
    Cheapest = Cost per month

Tell your friends about Freecycle!
    Your Trash could be another persons Treasure!

• CL
    • By CL 23rd Jul 09, 11:59 AM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    CL
    • 23rd Jul 09, 11:59 AM
    • 23rd Jul 09, 11:59 AM
    Cheapest = Cost per month
    Originally posted by ukchriss

Where does it state the minimum cost on the website there are 4 options from 9.79 to 29.38
    • ic
    • By ic 23rd Jul 09, 12:02 PM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    ic
    • 23rd Jul 09, 12:02 PM
    Those are the 1 month contract sims - the cheapest 12 months contract is 19.58 (after cashback equates to 11.25). For what you get its a bargain.
    • Babiesmummy
    • By Babiesmummy 23rd Jul 09, 12:02 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    Babiesmummy
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/simplicity-12

9.79 is a 1 month contract
    Born and bred in Manchester (proud of it)
    Now living on the other side of the Pennines
    • Searcher2
    • By Searcher2 23rd Jul 09, 12:11 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Searcher2
    • 23rd Jul 09, 12:11 PM
    • 23rd Jul 09, 12:11 PM
    To save people looking - works out at 11.25 per month for 12 months after cashback for 800 minutes, 1600 texts and a choice of one bolt-on e.g. unlimited weekend calls, free O2 to O2 calls.
    • austin
    • By austin 23rd Jul 09, 4:46 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 1,027 Thanks
    austin
    • 23rd Jul 09, 4:46 PM
    • 23rd Jul 09, 4:46 PM
    To save people looking - works out at 11.25 per month for 12 months after cashback for 800 minutes, 1600 texts and a choice of one bolt-on e.g. unlimited weekend calls, free O2 to O2 calls.
    Originally posted by Searcher2
    11.25? thats a bargain... now wondering whether to cancel that 12 month simplicity one i took out a few days ago... then re-submit through quidco?
  • Astec
    • 23rd Jul 09, 4:53 PM
    • 23rd Jul 09, 4:53 PM
    Has this tracked for anyony yet? I know there were a few issues tracking last time the offer was on.

Also, has anyone ported a number? If so, does it have to be done at point of sale or can it be done later?

Want to move the wife onto it, but wanna make sure it tracks and have a number port.
    • gk172
    • By gk172 24th Jul 09, 10:06 AM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    gk172
    I took the deal the last time when it was 110 and initially it didnt track and i had to put a claim in which was sent to merchant but when it paid out for those that did track mine paid out too and monies were recieved without the claim being closed dont understand but got the 110 and i ported my number into 02 but not initialy as there was talk it would invalidate quidco so i waited till quidco confirmed a number port wouldnt affect cashback and then i ported so i was about 6 weeks into my 02 contract when the port went through.
    The more i save the more i can spend
  • Graz-D
    I signed up ONE DAY before they introduced the 100 cashback, this was when it was 35! But it hasn't tracked yet (this is around 4 days now) so maybe I will get the 100 if I'm lucky... how long does it take to track?

Everything else I've done on Quidco usually takes no more than a day...
  • nikinackyloo
    thanks for this - I got it last time when it was 110, took it out on 3rd april and the money cleared in my bank on 3rd June!
    just done it again for my mum so thanks to OP
    • stolt
    • By stolt 25th Jul 09, 8:24 AM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    stolt
    if you are already on the one month sim only simplicity deal, can you take this offer up and then change your number over
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
    • Searcher2
    • By Searcher2 25th Jul 09, 9:08 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Searcher2
    Maybe worth checking on Hotukdeals. People on there are saying that last time they had a similar offer on Quidco it tracked intially at a lower price and then was changed later to the higher price. Once it tracks - and if at the wrong amount - simply raise a ticket to point out the amount it wrong.

Quote from HDUK

"Once it does track, it will show as 23.33. DO NOT PANIC! This is normal and will change to the correct amount of 100 when it gets validated within a month or so."
  • Graz-D
    Originally posted by Searcher2
    The best bolt-on is the free internet (web) one. 800 minutes is more than enough, and the web one means you can go on the internet using your phone whenever you like at no cost, and also download your emails to your phone too...all for free, wherever you are, using a 3G / EDGE / GPRS connection. As long as your phone can go online, which even the most cheap and basic ones can these days, you'll be fine. REALLY recommended!
  • Graz-D
    hate to double post but has anyone else's O2 cashback started tracking yet? Mine hasn't appeared at all, and it's well over 3 days since I started the contract.
    • silverchair
    • By silverchair 27th Jul 09, 11:19 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    silverchair
    Quick question

Do you need to top up each month to get the free texts etc?
    If so how much do you need to top up by?
    • ic
    • By ic 27th Jul 09, 12:21 PM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    ic
    Has this tracked for anyony yet? I know there were a few issues tracking last time the offer was on.

Also, has anyone ported a number? If so, does it have to be done at point of sale or can it be done later?

Want to move the wife onto it, but wanna make sure it tracks and have a number port.
    Originally posted by Astec
    I ordered on Saturday night. The quidco has tracked at 23.33, and should uplift to 100 when they validate. The SIM is due for delivery today or tomorrow, and I've spoken with O2 and my existing O2 PAYG number will transfer over tomorrow, along with any PAYG credit I have.
  • geordie458
    Quick question

Do you need to top up each month to get the free texts etc?
    If so how much do you need to top up by?
    Originally posted by silverchair
    It's a 12 month contract, not pay-as-you-go so no need to top-up. You will be billed each month for call/txts/data over and above your contract allowance.
    • silverchair
    • By silverchair 27th Jul 09, 1:39 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    silverchair
    Having signed up to O2 via quidco, I received an email from O2

"Having considered the information provided, O2 are now able to accept your application upon receipt of 1 proof of your address and 1 proof of your identity. Please arrange to call us using the number at the bottom of this email, having the relevant information to hand."

Has anyone else received this email? Would thid mean that the Quidco cashback would no longer be valid since I would have to phone O2?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

2,103Users online

Martin's Twitter