Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 22nd Jun 05, 2:35 PM
    • 13,808Posts
    • 15,843Thanks
    squeaky
    Courgettes
    • 22nd Jun 05, 2:35 PM
    Courgettes 22nd Jun 05 at 2:35 PM
    Yep. It's true

I'm a virgin when it comes to courgettes... and since I now have a number of them (courtesy of my box scheme) I'm wondering what the best way to first try them might be.

Any ideas for this learner driver please?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
Page 17
    • foreign correspondent
    • By foreign correspondent 9th Jun 09, 10:50 AM
    • 9,028 Posts
    • 19,091 Thanks
    foreign correspondent
    i am SOoooo making it.

How do you store it??
    Originally posted by Taye
    Just put it in jars in the normal way... ie. use scrupulously clean jars and lids, and only the sort with a plastic layer inside the metal lid so stop the vinegar interacting with the metal - things like pasta sauce jars etc are fine, and smaller jam jars etc look nicer for gifts.

Pop your jars and the lids in a tray in a very low oven for 10-15 minutes, then spoon the chutney into warm jars (or use a funnel if you have one the right sort of size). Fill them as close to the top as possible as the chutney will shrink a little as it cools, and screw lids on. As it cools you will hear 'pops' from the jars that have those 'test for freshness' centres on, as the chutney shrinks it creates a vacuum and the lids are sucked in a little!

Wait till it cools, wipe any spillages off the outside of the jar, label if you like and shove them in a cupboard! Chutney will store really well in a cool cupboard for ages.
  • Taye
    Just put it in jars in the normal way... ie. use scrupulously clean jars and lids, and only the sort with a plastic layer inside the metal lid so stop the vinegar interacting with the metal - things like pasta sauce jars etc are fine, and smaller jam jars etc look nicer for gifts.

Pop your jars and the lids in a tray in a very low oven for 10-15 minutes, then spoon the chutney into warm jars (or use a funnel if you have one the right sort of size). Fill them as close to the top as possible as the chutney will shrink a little as it cools, and screw lids on. As it cools you will hear 'pops' from the jars that have those 'test for freshness' centres on, as the chutney shrinks it creates a vacuum and the lids are sucked in a little!

Wait till it cools, wipe any spillages off the outside of the jar, label if you like and shove them in a cupboard! Chutney will store really well in a cool cupboard for ages.
    Originally posted by foreign correspondent
    Oh FAB!! thanks hun
    This months aim :- Stick to food Budget / find 100 for my car insurance
    May GC :- 250/234.55
    June GC :- 150/127.37
  • ubamother
    you could do the marrow thing with some plants and pick some of the others when they are really small - half the size that you'd buy - I find the flavour of the baby ones really good - and you'll have plenty. If it all gets out of hand, just think of it all as potential allotment compost - and you can't really get enough of that!

• Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 9th Jun 09, 12:02 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Bronnie
    I have always found courgettes basically tasteless on their own, but I agree the baby ones I'm picking now have a lovely flavour.

I pick them freshly and grate them raw over a mixed salad. One minute from plant to plate!

That gets rid of another couple each day,
    Last edited by Bronnie; 09-06-2009 at 12:24 PM.
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 9th Jun 09, 12:41 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    courgette fritters are nice and would probably freeze link to untried recipe
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Jun 09, 5:29 PM
    • 8,991 Posts
    • 32,441 Thanks
    Primrose
    18 courgette plants! Wow! You'll be able to keep your whole town supplied! But with that number of plants you'll have enough to pick them really small, i.e. when they're only 3 - 4" inches long, when they're delightful eaten raw in salads. I find if they're picked fresh at this size they will keep for quite a long time in the fridge if stored in a brown paper bag - not a plastic one. At this size you can dry freeze them in small chunks, i.e. don't blanch them in water first, just freeze them loose on a tray in the freezer until hard and then store in bags if you don't want to include them in a ratatouille.
    • rigsby1967
    • By rigsby1967 8th Jul 09, 11:37 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    rigsby1967
    Corgettes
    I planted loads of corgette plants not realising they would all come up (as i am not very green fingered ).

I now have a load of corgettes and wondered what to do with the extra ones as i would hate them to go off. Is there something i can make with them as i believe they can't be frozen.

Thanks
    rigs
  • **confuzzled**
    My parents grow courgettes and they make loads of chutneys or puts them in curries.
    As far as I'm aware they're fine to be frozen, my mum tends to cut hers up and pop in portion sized bags and defrosts as & when needed. Not had any problems in the last 10 years and we're all still here to tell the tale so I shouldn't think it a problem:confused::confused:

Pls correct me if I'm wrong Although would have to tell my parents they've been slowly poisoning themselves
    • snowmaid
    • By snowmaid 8th Jul 09, 11:48 AM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 6,654 Thanks
    snowmaid
    You could make it a mixture of tomatoes, onions and courgettes. saute the onions, add courgettes and then tomatoes. Add garlic, herbs (basil etc) a dash of chutney to taste, along with seasoning. Freeze this mixture and use it for a base for pasta, soups, stews etc.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 8th Jul 09, 11:50 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi rigsby,

There's an existing thread with lots of ideas for using courgettes so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    • rigsby1967
    • By rigsby1967 8th Jul 09, 12:00 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    rigsby1967
    You could make it a mixture of tomatoes, onions and courgettes. saute the onions, add courgettes and then tomatoes. Add garlic, herbs (basil etc) a dash of chutney to taste, along with seasoning. Freeze this mixture and use it for a base for pasta, soups, stews etc.
    Originally posted by snowmaid

That sounds lovely.
  • floyd
    Hi there

I tried this and it is stunning...anyone liking carrot/passion cake should love this

COURGETTE TEA BREAD
    pre-heat oven to 180c/350f/gas 4
    grease a 2lb loaf tin and bottom line with greaseproof paper - make it so it comes up the narrow edges so you can use it to lift it out
    1. 1 large egg
    2. 125ml sunflower oil
    3. 175g courgettes -trimmed and grated (on large holes)
    4. 150g wholewheat flour -i used ordinary
    5. 1/2tsp baking powder
    6. 1tsp bicarb
    7. 1tsp ground cinnamon
    8. 175g soft dark brown sugar
    9. 75g sultanas
    10. 3oz walnuts chopped
    • tip courgettes and all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well
    • whisk egg into the oil and pour into dry goods
    • mix to a thick batter and pour in tin
    • shove in oven for about 1 hr or until a skewer comes out clean..cool in tin for 10 mins before turning out to cool
    How is THAT for a method? ...chuck it in, stir it round..job done
    when cutting you will need a really sharp knife as its lovely n sticky and This will keep in a tin for 1 week.... or can be frozen.
    i made 38 mini muffins and they took about 15 mins a batch and if you let them stand for a few seconds in the tin they firm up and are easier to remove
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Just a quicky, to those of you who have made MrsM's courgette teabread, did you use SR or plain flour? I'm guessing at plain as there is bicarb and baking powder but I'm still not sure and don't want to mess it up
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there

If you use the baking powder and bicarb then use plain flour...or I have now started omitting the baking powder/bicarb and using ordinary self raising flour....
    hope that helps...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • floyd
    Marvellous, thanks Mrs M x
    • Shereen
    • By Shereen 13th Jul 09, 8:04 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    Shereen
    I got a load of courgettes from the reduced shelf in Tesco last week. They've been stir-fried, casseroled and sliced thinly over salads but the nicest use came from something I picked up in an OS thread. I grated a couple of courgettes into an oven-baked chicken risotto and was delighted at how creamy and fresh it tasted.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 13th Jul 09, 9:34 PM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 40,381 Thanks
    Caterina
    I know that some people make a very nice courgette and chocolate cake, if I find the recipe I shall post it here.

When I was little my mum used to make sweet courgette fritters, basically you grate the courgettes, let them drain of liquid, then add some self raising flour and beaten egg, then fry them in spoonfuls in hot oil. Once golden on both sides, take them out of the oil and put on greaseproof paper to drain of oil, then on a plate and sprinkle icing sugar on the fritters. Lovely dipped in honey, too.

Sorry I do not have the exact measures for this recipe, it is stuff of my childhood.

Caterina
    Last edited by Caterina; 13-07-2009 at 9:37 PM.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • npsmama
    Lovely courgette pie recipe
    Just thought I'd share this wonderful recipe my aunt makes...

Be sure to use basmati rice as it gives a wonderful flavor. Emmenthal/gruyere will work much better than cheddar.

800g courgette, coarsely grated
    3 onions, chopped
    1TB olive oil
    1/2 cup basmati rice (my aunt just throws in a small handful - I'm guessing this is about 1/2c)
    3 eggs, beaten
    1/3 cup grated emmenthal or gruyere (again aunt just chucks in a handful)
    9in unbaked pastry crust

Fry the courgette and onions in the oil over gentle heat until the courgettes are no longer watery.
    Remove from the heat.
    Stir in the basmati rice and allow to cool.
    Stir in the eggs and emmenthal/gruyere.
    Pour mixture into a 9in unbaked pastry crust.
    Bake at 200C for 30min.

Wonderful when eaten either warm or cold.

"Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."

• redruby
    • By redruby 14th Jul 09, 10:33 AM
    • 7,174 Posts
    • 100,491 Thanks
    redruby
    That looks lovely, thanks for sharing, my dd has just gone vegetarian, so this is another thing I can make for her.

Just one question, when you say pastry crust, do you mean like a pastry case, or like a pie with a top ?

I am going to try this next week.

Thanks again
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 14th Jul 09, 12:19 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    This sounds lovely and I'm going to write it down to try soon.

just a quick question - is the rice cooked prior to being added to the mix or is it raw (and it cooks with the rest of the pie)?
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • npsmama
    The pastry is just flakey/shortcrust that you roll out.
    The rice is uncooked - it cooks with the rest of the ingredients.
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,738Users online

Martin's Twitter