Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    25th Jun 09 at 3:57 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-06-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 20
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 12th Jul 09, 7:51 PM
    • 4,369 Posts
    • 30,042 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...thank u for farmfoods idea for ribena...i like nosing round that shop so ill look out for ribena next time i am in buying broken biscuits in a blue box that are the overspill from the foxes production line and fab....or i think they are foxes and believe me i have done some research into different boxes contents

scot saver...it makes u think these food programmes...did u see the hfw one where he ran a battery farm production shed....i havent purchased a 'cheap' chicken since....i like making my own food as well as u know what has gone into it and there is no manky stuff eg additives...thats excellent about kidlies not being ill...i actually think my sons health has improved since i gave up work to become a sahm...i have so much more time to cook and choose food....not as much money to buy it but hey u cant have everything

went to tesco at 3.45 and got a few bargains...bananas at 15p a bunch....they are fab under the grill cooked until black...peeled carefully as they are hot and served with icecream....also ripe nectarines 12p each...a grapefruit 7p for dh as i think they are nasty sour things..they also had bags of spinach that i thought i might do a ricotta canneloni thingy with

take care
    tessa
    ps loving the idea of seeing harry potter film and a meal out on the savings from the gc...might do that myself
    onwards and upwards
    • elf06
    • By elf06 12th Jul 09, 8:31 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Well I did another 'wee' shop at Mr T today and bought some woopsied sausages . Saying that they were from the butcher counter and are really nice, decent quality beef ones which are (as we speak or type :rolleyes in my slow cooker producing a hopefully yummy curry
    So todays spend was another £14.10 but did include a load of fruit (damn child ) and some staples (like curry paste) which will last ages. Does however mean that I am over half my budget and nowhere near at half the month Will really need to stick to my meal plans (which I have anyway but really really need to now)

P.S - dont really mean it about my son eating fruit. He loves it and would choose a bowl of fruit over choc and sweeties and trust me I am soooo pleased he would.

P.P.S - I also like cooking from scratch. Never would have bothered me but in the last few years I have become a little tiny bit obsessed with homecooking

Anyways off to update the sig now.........
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Jul 09, 8:51 PM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 27,347 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Evening all,

Just wondered if anyone knows what Ald*s super six are this week? I'm off to lunch at DMums on Tuesday and thought I'd pop in there as we don't have one near us. As I only have £8.35 left til the weekend I need all the help I can get.

Had salmon for dinner tonight. I made a glaze using soy sauce, honey and ground ginger, basted the salmon and wrapped in individual pieces of foil. Baked for 35 mins. Really scrummy with noodles and sauteed peppers.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Maids in a Row
    • taka
    • By taka 12th Jul 09, 10:29 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 17,636 Thanks
    taka
    Evening all,

Just wondered if anyone knows what Ald*s super six are this week? I'm off to lunch at DMums on Tuesday and thought I'd pop in there as we don't have one near us. As I only have £8.35 left til the weekend I need all the help I can get.

Had salmon for dinner tonight. I made a glaze using soy sauce, honey and ground ginger, basted the salmon and wrapped in individual pieces of foil. Baked for 35 mins. Really scrummy with noodles and sauteed peppers.

Coxy
    xx
    Originally posted by Coxy11
    They are all 49p ...
    - 3 peppers
    - vine tomatoes
    - 1.5kg new potatoes
    - 500g punnet of grapes
    - punnet of nectarines
    - bananas - 49p/kg
    2019 MFW #51 £1100.07/£1997.77
    MFiT-5 no 45
    MF date Dec 27, Oct 25
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    • dazzle21
    • By dazzle21 13th Jul 09, 6:18 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 7,242 Thanks
    dazzle21
    Managed to give Mr T £20 yesterday.. OH is full of cold and we're trying to decorate and get ready for our move next week so i popped into to get some bits to make an easy lunch and ended up with extras.. and forgot to buy milk..but refusing to go back to Mr T as i have no self control at the moment even with ever decreasing pennies in my pocket! so shall pop to Waitrose. Back on meal plan this week so nice and straight forward for me and our budget
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 13th Jul 09, 7:26 AM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,427 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Hi guys, once again, sorry I don't keep up with the thread even although I do the grocery challenge every month, I hope everyone is well and that anyone with problems is managing to combat them to the best of their ability.

My grocery challenge still isn't going to plan. I'm spending an average of £30 per week for 3 adults but had budgeted only £100 per month, which is proving impossible at the moment. Despite the cupboards being full, the hens all laying and the garden producing more veggies, I am still getting through a carton of milk a day and 3 or 4 loaves per week, plus the fruit, meat products and raw ingredients such as flour. Most of the wheat products have gone up in price again, as has sugar. All of this and I still can't grasp the ability to meal plan. It just seems to be beyond me. :confused:

CW - I read you'd meal planned for the entire month + extra - can I borrow you to assess my cupboards and show me how it's done?

Coxy - Ald! Super 6 is here They also do an email newsletter updating you with their weekly offers, which is very handy.
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 13-07-2009 at 7:28 AM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • scotsaver
    scot saver...it makes u think these food programmes...did u see the hfw one where he ran a battery farm production shed....i havent purchased a 'cheap' chicken since....i like making my own food as well as u know what has gone into it and there is no manky stuff eg additives...thats excellent about kidlies not being ill...i actually think my sons health has improved since i gave up work to become a sahm...i have so much more time to cook and choose food....not as much money to buy it but hey u cant have everything

take care
    tessa
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Hi tessa - yes I've seen all of those programmes - a bit of an eye opener. I too am a SAHM so have plenty of time to cook from scratch which I love.

Should be a NSD today, just been out in the Garden and have another 4 courgettes ready to be cut otherwise they are going to get too big - running out of ideas of what to do with them, have so far made the Courgette muffins, courgette flatbread, courgette fritters, have had them chopped in a frittata and chopped in a curry - while I'm typing this I've just had an idea - think I will make a big batch of Tomato Sauce and chop them into that and then use that in Spag Bol, lasagne or on a Pizza.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• rosieben
    ... have another 4 courgettes ready to be cut otherwise they are going to get too big - running out of ideas of what to do with them...
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    My favourite courgette recipe is very easy (originally from Delia) -

fry sliced courgettes in oil until golden
    slice some tomatoes

in a casserole dish put
    - layer of courgettes
    - layer of tomatoes
    - layer of sliced cheese or cheese sauce

oven cook until golden brown on top

depending on how many courgettes I have I usually do 2 or 3 layers of each ending with a cheese/cheese sauce layer; if using cheese sauce then I grate a little cheese on the top

forgot to say that sometimes I add a couple of cloves of garlic when frying the courgettes
    Last edited by rosieben; 13-07-2009 at 3:21 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 13th Jul 09, 10:44 AM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 27,347 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Thanks nykmedia and taka for the info re: super 6.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Maids in a Row
    • moneytree1
    • By moneytree1 13th Jul 09, 10:46 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    moneytree1
    Hi just a quick update have spent £62.21 of my budget so far this month so ok so far.
    2016 £31138 Debt free ?
    Jan Groc £200/162.56

One step forward closer to debt freedom.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 13th Jul 09, 10:51 AM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Another £6.30 spent by DH yesterday in the co-op on veggies for Sunday dinner and £14.70 spent by me on stain removers for DS1s clothes that have returned from uni rather pink! Toothpaste and other things also in the £14.70, I ordered more to save on postage!?
    • taka
    • By taka 13th Jul 09, 11:06 AM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 17,636 Thanks
    taka
    Well I spent another £11.26 yesterday: £9.26 on food (including 8 muller corner yogs for £2 from Mr A I love the cherry dark choc special edition ones!) and £2 on lightbulbs so am now stocked up for most of the week. I only need some squash from Mr S so another 47p (I think?) to spend this week. Only £21.32 left for this month but my cupboards and freezer do not seem to be emptying despite living out of them (+fresh fruit +Veg +dairy) for the month so I still have loads of food in. :confused:

I did a mini stock take of the carbs/breakfast shelf and scared myself -
    - dried pasta - 28 portions
    - Rice noodles - 3 portions
    - other noodles - 7 portions
    - rice - 13 portions
    - couscous - 8 portions
    - porridge - 2.5kg!
    - muesli - 2kg!

... and that was just part of one shelf in the full cupboard!

I have scary amounts of beans, lentils, soya mince, tinned tomatoes, chutney, puree and enough breadmaking flour for the rest of the year too! The freezer is similarly scary too...

I live alone so it looks like I need an enforced fresh fruit +Veg +dairy only budget for the next 2-3 months if only to empty my cupboards a bit! No wonder I've been overspending!

Must not stock up so much...
    must not stock up so much...
    must not stock up so much...
    2019 MFW #51 £1100.07/£1997.77
    MFiT-5 no 45
    MF date Dec 27, Oct 25
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    • xx_Jo_xx
    • By xx_Jo_xx 13th Jul 09, 12:26 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 62,609 Thanks
    xx_Jo_xx
    Hi All,

Well as I already said, Ive already blown my budget this month - thanks to my birthday BBQ! :rolleyes:

However, i have not purchased anything since I went to Mr S last week, apart from bread and milk at my local little shop. I have to say though, that I agree with the comments about school lunches and lunchboxes.

School lunches can be so expensive in comparison, but it always seems to be lunchbox stuff that I spend a fortune on!

I bought some individual jelly moulds and have started making jellys with fruit in for his lunchboxes, which can work out cheaper than some of the yogurts.

So far this month, Im up to £135.78 and still have 2 weeks to go.....
    Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    I will declutter my house and debts
  • helen jelly
    Hi

Thanks everyone - we had a fantastic day and if it wasn't so much hassle I'd do it all again tomorrow - but only to DH!!!!

WE have managed to spend £48 at Costco but we now have enough Basmati Rice to last a while and we had to take cakes in to work [both of us as the wedding cake wasn't big enough to go round everyone]

Off to update my siggy now

Jo - I've often thought about the jelly thing for lunch - does it stay ok until lunchtime - I have visions of it melting everywhere

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 13th Jul 09, 1:05 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    OMG I have just added up my spends so far £118.35 so only got £37 to last me the month and I have got a MrT delivery tomorrow and thats about £55 Although the MrT delivery is all bulk stuff so I'm hoping that I will not need too much more shopping.

I went to Mr A and they had boxes of baby wipes 12pks x 80sheets for £5 they are their own brand.
    Last edited by turbo5019; 13-07-2009 at 1:07 PM.
    GC £7.79/£225 per month ~ wk1 £ 7.79/ £50
    • cw18
    • By cw18 13th Jul 09, 1:19 PM
    • 8,083 Posts
    • 86,086 Thanks
    cw18
    CW - I read you'd meal planned for the entire month + extra - can I borrow you to assess my cupboards and show me how it's done?
    Originally posted by nykmedia
    'twas dead easy.....

listed everything in my freezers and cupboards
    worked out what meals I had with no effort but reheating (and spud bashing for some)
    worked out what meals I had all/most ingredients on hand for (other than spuds)
    divided meals up so that each week we had

one meal with sausages
    one meal with mince
    one meal with chicken
    one meal with fish
    one meal with other meat (chops / kievs / burgers)
    one meal with pasta
    one meal with rice
    one meal with chips
    one meal with potatoes
    one 'other' meal such as pizza or omelette

some meals covered two of these options (eg. spag bol is mince and pasta, and chille is mince and rice, while kiev or fish fingers go with chips), so I could then add in a second for one of those categories (but never for chips!) to get us up to 7 meals a week.

I then shifted things around within each week so I didn't have the same 'thing' (sausage / mince / rice / pasta) two days in a row - especially watching round the change of weeks

I actually meal planned for 5 weeks, and Saturday was the start of week 3. So far so good, and we've not changed or shifted anything (apart from me having a 'meal soup' on Saturday instead of steak & kidney from the freezer with potatoes - didn't feel up to cooking that after being out from 9am until 8:30pm!) Have one meal to 'fill in' this week, as I left Thursday open with it being DS's 18th birthday. Need to speak to my parents and DD to see if everyone's free on Sunday - and if so I want to try and find somewhere local for a meal out. If that comes off, then Sunday's meal will move to Thursday. If it doesn't then DS has free choice on Thursday (which will probably be take-away Pizza, even though we had pizza - from frozen - last Friday)
    Last edited by cw18; 13-07-2009 at 3:52 PM.
    Cheryl
  • elizabunny
    Afternoon all.

Second attempt at a post today -I just obliterated my first one I have just finished totting up my spends so far this month and yipee I still have money in the budget -not alot but money nevertheless. I need 101 recipe ideas for cucumbers, they are growing so fast and even DH is eating them and he doesn't like cucumber. I was going to make a salad today but we have a lettuce famine at the moment as I forgot to replant So I might make toad-in-the-hole but that seems a bit 'wintery'. My cooking creativity seems to have vanished recently.
    We went to watch DS2 take part in the'The Asics British 10 km' run for charity (Alzheimer Disease) yesterday. Everyone taking part did so well and DH and me felt everso slightly unfit and thought it was great to take part in something like that, hence the need to make salad. We could use some young spinach leaves I suppose and mix in some leafy herbs. On another slightly unfit note MrL have been selling boxes of 32 assorted Walkers crisps for £2.99 and you get points inside to save up for days out and meal offers! We bouught 2 boxes!!! Might be worth a look -hope they're still on offer.
    Have a good day everyone!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 13th Jul 09, 1:22 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Hi guys, once again, sorry I don't keep up with the thread even although I do the grocery challenge every month, I hope everyone is well and that anyone with problems is managing to combat them to the best of their ability.

My grocery challenge still isn't going to plan. I'm spending an average of £30 per week for 3 adults but had budgeted only £100 per month, which is proving impossible at the moment. Despite the cupboards being full, the hens all laying and the garden producing more veggies, I am still getting through a carton of milk a day and 3 or 4 loaves per week, plus the fruit, meat products and raw ingredients such as flour. Most of the wheat products have gone up in price again, as has sugar. All of this and I still can't grasp the ability to meal plan. It just seems to be beyond me. :confused:
    Originally posted by nykmedia
    I noticed that you are spendng £10 per adult per week the same as me, though I have 5 adults it is the same budget, some months I can get away with a lot less. I too have hens and veggies in the garden. I do find that the meal planning saves us a huge amount of money. I just started with basics like spag bol, shepherds, pie, chilli etc. I bulk them out with vegetables and porridge oats when practicable. This is my menu plan for the rest of the month from yesterday. I hope it helps.
    Roast chicken, veg from garden
    Spicy chicken risoles and potato wedges
    Sweet and sour chicken with fresh pineapple
    Bacon and onion suet roll with cabbage (from garden)
    Veggie chick pea curry
    Fish pie
    Fried spicy pieces of chicken with potato wedges and salad
    Keema Matar
    Veggie cottage pie and beans
    Mince pie potatoes and mixed veg
    Cheesy potato bake
    Fish or egg (from our own hens) and chips
    Prawn and pasta, with cherry tomatoes and creme fresh
    Chinese chicken with peas and rice
    Corned beef hash
    Toad in the hole
    Breast of lamb, boned rolled and stuffed.
    Pork chops, jacket potatoe and veg.

If you have full cupboards maybe you could make some of your own bread, My family like freshly made bread and soda bread too.
    • elf06
    • By elf06 13th Jul 09, 6:05 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    cw18 I do the same as you although not for quite as long. I take a quick look in freezer (use SC a lot and make extra for HM ready meals) and in the cupboard and then plan for 3-4 weeks what we can eat. I like doing this as it means I am slightly more organised than when I was flying by the seat of my pants and it still allows slightly for not fancying something on one particular day (providing of course I havent already defrosted it)

Also meant to add that today was a NSD for me
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Julimk
    Just a small spend of £2.56 today, mostly pack-up bits for DD; definitely agree that this is where a lot of the money goes. Still thereís only four more this school year.

Iíve done little jelly pots for her with value jellies & canned value fruit, so works out pretty cheap. Iíve never had a problem with them melting. Spilt yoghurt in the bottom of the lunchbox at the end of a hot day is another matter, yuk Ö

DD just has one more year at Junior school & gets a cooked dinner from the childminder, so I donít want to put her on to school meals at lunchtime. But she is an awkward so & so with the lunches & doesnít like sandwiches etc. So it has been a bit of a challenge to keep it interesting & economical!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,941Posts Today

7,538Users online

Martin's Twitter