Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bob-a-job
    90% off advance train fares - book online Fri 10 July only - Southern network
    • 9th Jul 09, 2:20 PM
    90% off advance train fares - book online Fri 10 July only - Southern network 9th Jul 09 at 2:20 PM
    On Friday 10 July, Green Britain Day, Southern will be offering a wide range of Southern Advance single tickets at a staggering 90% discount, compared to the normal 40% currently available when tickets are booked online in advance of travel. This means that some tickets to London can be bought for as little as 50p! Tickets can be bought on-line on the day only for travel up to three months ahead.

Southern offers Advance tickets between:
    Milton Keynes, Watford Junction, London Victoria, south London and many stations including Gatwick Airport, Brighton, Eastbourne, Hastings, Worthing, Chichester, Portsmouth and Southampton.

Southern Advance Fares are:
    • 50p (5* with 90% discount)
    • 75p (7.50* with 90% discount)
    • 1.25p (12.50* with 90% discount)
    These fares are for one way tickets.

Further discounts are available for qualifying railcards (34%) and children (50%)

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=707
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No.1378 -
    Target = 300 by 5 December 2011
Page 1
  • Ketchup04
    • 9th Jul 09, 3:45 PM
    • 9th Jul 09, 3:45 PM
    Thanks very much, will come in handy for summer!
    • travellingbum
    • By travellingbum 9th Jul 09, 4:09 PM
    • 20,762 Posts
    • 50,747 Thanks
    travellingbum
    • 9th Jul 09, 4:09 PM
    • 9th Jul 09, 4:09 PM
    I'm ready when the clock strikes midnight!

Thanks OP.
    • michellemybelle
    • By michellemybelle 10th Jul 09, 9:12 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    michellemybelle
    • 10th Jul 09, 9:12 AM
    • 10th Jul 09, 9:12 AM
    Many thanks to OP just got two tickets to london for 2 - a bargain.
  • Sock Monkey
    • 10th Jul 09, 9:33 AM
    • 10th Jul 09, 9:33 AM
    Thank you so much OP, my boyfriend and I now have 4 trips to London booked over the next 2 months for the bargain price of 15 so 7.50 each for all 4 trips. We live on the south coast and as train fares to London are so high we can never usually afford to treat ourselves like this. Lots of visits to friend and art galleries coming up I feel.

Thanks you!
  • Lindz Delirium
    • 10th Jul 09, 9:43 AM
    • 10th Jul 09, 9:43 AM
    I can't get any cheap fares mine is coming up as 36 - do you just go through the standard ticket booking engine?
  • *onlyme*
    • 10th Jul 09, 9:55 AM
    • 10th Jul 09, 9:55 AM
    Wonder if anyone knows... I can get the cheap ticket from Southampton to London Victoria and back...but if I want to get on at a station in between those 2 and off at another station between those 2 (so not making the full journey) is that allowed as such?
  • lil_miss_17
    • 10th Jul 09, 10:09 AM
    • 10th Jul 09, 10:09 AM
    I just got 2 return tickets London-Brighton for 2 at the weekend!
    • cheerfulfish
    • By cheerfulfish 10th Jul 09, 10:19 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cheerfulfish
    • 10th Jul 09, 10:19 AM
    • 10th Jul 09, 10:19 AM
    Hello hopeful travelers

Small print says that you cannot break your journey

Happy trips to those of you who can go
  • Lindz Delirium
    Hello hopeful travelers

Small print says that you cannot break your journey

Happy trips to those of you who can go
    Originally posted by cheerfulfish
    what does that mean?
    • Kingsd316
    • By Kingsd316 10th Jul 09, 10:28 AM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    Kingsd316
    WOW thanks, just got a ticket to gatwick for 0.75p
    • cheerfulfish
    • By cheerfulfish 10th Jul 09, 10:35 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cheerfulfish
    what does that mean?
    Originally posted by Lindz Delirium
    You aren't allowed to get on or off the train other than at the stations (start/end) on the ticket.

I use Three Bridges station which doesn't count even though it's on the London - Brighton route. So I have assumed that I won't be able to use this offer based on the fact that you can't break your journey.

Does anyone know if Gatwick is included?
    • cheerfulfish
    • By cheerfulfish 10th Jul 09, 10:37 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cheerfulfish
    Originally posted by Kingsd316
    Jolly good!
    Where are you traveling from?
    Thanks
  • bob-a-job
    4 return tickets for 2 people so 8 tix total Brighton to London for 7.50!!
  • Lindz Delirium
    mine says I have to go from Milton Keynes - Clapham Junction, and then from there to Brighton - does this mean they won't let me do it?
  • geeksaver
    cant see any discounted prices...
    Hi ya,

I have been trying to book some routes that I'd like to take at the given url...

Thing is, all routes I tried, even those as far away as in sept, shows up with normal prices...and not discounted prices...for those who got the discounted prices, I am wondering when you see 'the discount', before or after you have to type in the credit card details...

thanks for your help...hubby and me wanna go visit somewhere south this summer but cant even find a single trip that has discount...so thought, I'd ask...
  • bob-a-job
    You aren't allowed to get on or off the train other than at the stations (start/end) on the ticket.

I use Three Bridges station which doesn't count even though it's on the London - Brighton route. So I have assumed that I won't be able to use this offer based on the fact that you can't break your journey.

Does anyone know if Gatwick is included?
    that is not true!

You can get off at any staton in between - i do regularly when they have 3 deals between brighton and Lon Vic - i get off at East Croydon with no probs.
    • Kingsd316
    • By Kingsd316 10th Jul 09, 10:52 AM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    Kingsd316
    Jolly good!
    Where are you traveling from?
    Thanks

Watford Junction to Gatwick Airport, tomorrow morning
  • Restricted
    that is not true!

You can get off at any staton in between - i do regularly when they have 3 deals between brighton and Lon Vic - i get off at East Croydon with no probs.
    Originally posted by bob-a-job
    You cannont start/end or break the journey at intermediate stations for Advance tickets and risk paying an excess if you do.

Advance tickets are available to and from Gatwick, for the person who asked, so a separate ticket between 3 Bridges and Gatwick would be the way to go.
    • cheerfulfish
    • By cheerfulfish 10th Jul 09, 11:08 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    cheerfulfish
    Originally posted by Kingsd316
    that is not true!

Originally posted by bob-a-job

That's interesting to know.
    Just quoting Southern's own small print that you are not allowed to break your journey.
    With a regular ticket I do break my journey which has always been fine. It's horrible if the staff get shirty with you which I would be worried about. As we all know it can really spoil your day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,282Posts Today

6,999Users online

Martin's Twitter