Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    archived user
    Freezing Milk
    • 15th Aug 04, 9:06 PM
    Freezing Milk 15th Aug 04 at 9:06 PM
    Ok, im a bloke, dont go in the kitchen much..
    But i drink a lot of tea, 8 cups+ a day.

Im also sick to death of going to the shops to replace it, and i hate the taste of UHT Milk.

Soi tried freezing it. Wehey, lasts bout 2 weeks longer!

I now buy the largest containers, freeze them, and
    When my milk has 'nearly' gone, i just pop one out on the worktop for 2 hours or so..

It slowly defrosts, but if you pop in the fridge thereafter it takes forever to defrost- which keeps it chilled and bacteria wont attack it so quickly.

Next week folks:

Willy wonkas everlasting gobstoppers ;D
Page 2
  • halloweenqueen
    Re: Freezing milk?
    There a thrread on here which I can never find on yoghurt making. Got a yoghurt maker from Lakeland for xmas about 20,I think. I just followed the advice given on here to warm a box of the milk (in a basin) to blood temperature, mixed in 2 tbs of milk powder and a tablespoon of live yoghurt (you can use your ownyoghurt once you get started) put it in the yog maker for 8 hours - delish fresh yoghurt! Tastes really nice I'm also trying out new recipes - gonna have stab at yoghurt smothered chicken! I am told you could probably use an airing cupboard instead of a yog maker but I don't have one!
    • Jolaaled
    • By Jolaaled 3rd Jan 05, 6:13 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Jolaaled
    [quote]There was mention in an earlier post about freezing milk - I've never actually done this, do you freeze it in the original containers or would it expand and split them? ! Is there any difference in the taste once it is thawed?

quote]

I freeze the 2 litre full cream...I put the plastic bottle straight in the freezer...one has never split yet.
    When it's frozen, the milk can look rather yellow, but once you defrost, it's more palatable colour returns!
    • catznine
    • By catznine 3rd Jan 05, 6:17 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    I've just got myself a bargain! 6 pints of organic milk for 10p! from Sainsburys today. Have frozen it in two separate containers, will see us through the next week or two (kids have now gone back to uni & work)
  • nabowla
    Defrosted milk should be shaken thoroughly before pouring, otherwise it can look as though it's gone off when you add it to tea/coffee etc.

Also, don't be tempted to defrost it in the microwave. The milk splits into cream & a watery mess!
    • Yategirl
    • By Yategirl 3rd Jan 05, 8:16 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,335 Thanks
    Yategirl
    I freeze the 4pint and 6pint 'bottles' of full-fat milk with no problems - just get it out at tea-time and it is usually defrosted by the next morning for breakfast!
    • Westywoodpecker
    • By Westywoodpecker 3rd Jan 05, 9:15 PM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 13,508 Thanks
    Westywoodpecker
    I have been freezing semi skimmed milk for a while now. Only had one problem which was when one of the bottles expanded it pushed my freezer door open! I have since learnt from my mistake
  • Squidgy
    We freeze both semi and full fat.

Defrost in the sink covered with cold water and shake well before use.
  • Squidgy
    There a thrread on here which I can never find on yoghurt making.
    It's here
  • halloweenqueen
    I bought lots of full cream organic milk on xmas eve as well as other kinds of milk and it freezes quite happily!
  • halloweenqueen
    PS many Thanks squidgy!
  • jo_b
    I tried freezing full fat milk as an emergency stand-by over xmas and it didn't work too well. :-/ Was worried about leaving it out overnight so left it in the fridge to defrost and it took absolutely ages!

Still had great big lumps of ice in it days later!! Also seemed to taste slightly different and it didn't seem to laste as long.

Is this normal or did I do anything wrong? ???
    • lswwong
    • By lswwong 4th Jan 05, 2:09 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    lswwong
    Semi-skimmed freezes well, as does skimmed.

I took home whatever milk the office had remaining in the office fridge on New Year's Eve and froze them. Otherwise they would have gone off by today anyway.

The stock will come in handy for sauces and hot chocolates! ;D
  • Allexie
    De-frosting frozen semi-skimmed milk?
    Eeeek...got a minor milk emergency...run out and its a mile walk to the shops. Had some semi-skimmed in the freezer but it's taking an age to thaw. Would it be OK to put it in the microwave on de-frost does anyone know?

• mink35
    Re: De-frosting frozen semi-skimmed milk?
    A reply from an earlier thread on freezing milk...

"Defrosted milk should be shaken thoroughly before pouring, otherwise it can look as though it's gone off when you add it to tea/coffee etc.

Also, don't be tempted to defrost it in the microwave. The milk splits into cream & a watery mess!"

I think it was savingsnewbie who posted it but apologies if I'm wrong!
    • tiff
    • By tiff 14th Jan 05, 9:57 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    I would stand the bottle of milk in warm water, but it wont be quick I'm afraid.
  • Allexie
    Aww...thanks mink...couldn't get 'search' to work at the time :

Didn't try the microwave in the end...had me coffee black instead...yuk ???
  • Allexie
    no Tiff, it ain't gonna be quick...be back to milky coffee by about next Tuesday I think :
    • macchicken
    • By macchicken 15th Jan 05, 12:16 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    macchicken
    Have u tried using a hair dryer im not saying it wont ruin your milk but its worth a go if you ask me!
  • mink35
    Didn't try the microwave in the end...had me coffee black instead...yuk !???
    I always drink black coffee! Went off milk in coffee when pregnant 13 years ago and haven't had it since
  • Allexie
    Have u tried using a hair dryer im not saying it wont ruin your milk but its worth a go if you ask me!
    Doh...why didn't I think of that ???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,670Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just had a good meeting with @JohnGlenUK about mortgage prisoners. There are no easy solutions, but pleased it's no? https://t.co/8vcQCT6LvV

• Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Follow Martin