Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Fearne stump up for Reggie's music collection?
    • 7th Jul 09, 12:48 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Fearne stump up for Reggie's music collection? 7th Jul 09 at 12:48 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Fearne stump up for Reggie's music collection?

Fearne’s in a pickle; she has a week left to finish her dissertation and her computer’s gone kaput. She needs one fast, so she begs her friend Reggie to lend her his flashy laptop. He’s not happy, but as she’s desperate he gives in, yet no sooner has she left his flat than it gets pilfered from her bag - she’ll be finishing her work in the library now. While he’s got insurance to cover the stolen kit, there’s no cover for the unbacked-up £400 worth of music stored on it, so he wants Fearne to buy it again.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
    • skylight
    • By skylight 7th Jul 09, 12:51 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 7th Jul 09, 12:51 PM
    • 7th Jul 09, 12:51 PM
    Sounds fair. You borrowed it, you're responsible for it, you need to pay up.

Although if they are friends, then they should discuss about perhaps paying in instalments if Fearne is unable to pay in one go. Fearne should also show Reggie how to back stuff up for future reference.
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 7th Jul 09, 1:29 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 7th Jul 09, 1:29 PM
    • 7th Jul 09, 1:29 PM
    Yeah, I agree with Skylight.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 7th Jul 09, 4:43 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    • 7th Jul 09, 4:43 PM
    • 7th Jul 09, 4:43 PM
    I would say yes, she should. Granted if I had, say, the Napster thing that lets you download as much music as you like for a flat monthly fee I'd probably be less bothered - OK it's a pain redownloading it all but it's not going to cost you anything other than what you were paying to keep the licenses anyway. Ditto if it's on CDs that you own because you've paid for that already. If however it's been bought from iTunes or something then yes, paid back in instalments if need be.

Frankly I think they both need to learn about backing up/using memory sticks or portable hard drives, that way he wouldn't have lost the music and she wouldn't have needed to borrow his laptop!
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • bc3000
    • 7th Jul 09, 10:42 PM
    • 7th Jul 09, 10:42 PM
    To be honest Reggae music is pretty desperate and not worth £400.
    Originally posted by scotsbob
    lol who said it was reggae? presuming that she trusts him to make an honest quote of how much it cost, then she should pay him back, it was her responsibility. she could probably save money ordering off sites, getting cashback, using napster, etc though so if i was her i'd say that i would get him the music myself!

• dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 7th Jul 09, 11:40 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    • 7th Jul 09, 11:40 PM
    • 7th Jul 09, 11:40 PM
    Yes, she should (or replace the music he lost) it wasn't his fault the laptop got stolen. But I think the paying in installments idea is a good one.
    • AHAR
    • By AHAR 7th Jul 09, 11:50 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    AHAR
    • 7th Jul 09, 11:50 PM
    • 7th Jul 09, 11:50 PM
    "the unbacked-up £400 worth of music"
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 7th Jul 09, 11:53 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    • 7th Jul 09, 11:53 PM
    • 7th Jul 09, 11:53 PM
    It may be unbacked-up, but all the big legal music download companies allow you free re-downloads for this very situation.

Most will even let you re-download your entire back-catalogue of purchases in one or two clicks.

Job done.
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
  • PDave
    • 8th Jul 09, 1:20 AM
    • 8th Jul 09, 1:20 AM
    He didn't back it up, his problem... Any computer user worth their weight in salt should back up media/documents if they don't want to lose them.
    • Sooler
    • By Sooler 8th Jul 09, 1:28 AM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    Sooler
    No backups = a prat

Lending it out with no back ups = a bigger prat

The lappies been nicked, he can say any amount of stuff was on there, who knows. He should have made whoever he lent it to aware of what was on it. He chose to lend it, unfair to let someone think that they are borrowing just a laptop when really it contains valuable data - that has not been backed up - his problem.
    • Skeenfleent
    • By Skeenfleent 8th Jul 09, 1:34 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Skeenfleent
    Well there's the fact that as others say, she should rely on herself and her own money, time and initiative, not the most convenient friend's laptop. I know one or two claimed 'independent' 'feminists' who acts like this (full of s**t basically). So the situation and replacing the laptop is 100% her responsibility, along with a huge dose of humble pie.

On the other hand, anyone who doesn't back up (this usually means YOU, fool ) deserves everything they get, especially if they actually paid for those mp3s from a place that won't allow a re-download. :rolleyes:

A good compromise would be her also paying the ISP bill for the length of time it takes to download the files again.

I just finished recovering a friend's hard drive who didn't back up. I'm certainly not doing it twice, and I felt like helping myself to anything interesting on there as some small recompense for the £100s worth of work it took to restore.

Even if you have to pay someone to do it (much cheaper before you have a problem than after it occurs) BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM AND FILES.

A 1 TERABYTE external hard disk drive cost me £89.99 from Maplin (for once they were not more expensive than everywhere else but then put the price up £10 the next week). To back-up is simply drag-and-drop, job done. Then anything really critical, I back-up to DVD-R as hard drives ALWAYS fail in the end, just a matter of time. DVD-R discs are not mechanical, hence more reliable as a back-up. Flash drives are OK, but small, slow, prone to failure and also possible to lose.
  • t3h 1337 n1nj4
    Whatever you think about downloading music for free (i.e. usually technically illegal downloads), if you already own the music, then downloading it from, for example, Bittorrent, isn't illegal. The question is moot when you can, for free, re-obtain the music legally.
  • Tetsugaku-San
    Are you all mad? Why on earth would you pay for it *again* when it's already been paid for? visit a friend with a music collection and copy all the bits you want, or go on a share site and DL it all, brrow CDs and re rip them to your drive.

Copies of music are worthless anyway so quite why you'd ever pay £400 for them I have no idea....
  • jackbremer
    surely legally owned digital music can be downloaded with a single click from the provider if you lose the original? You've bought a right to ownership, not to download once.

I have no idea - I would never ever buy music online - if I don't own a physical version then it's as good as useless IMHO.

She should give him bit-torrent insutructions or take the time to download it all again for him, if you can't just click to redownload it all again.

He needs backup ASAP - one of the online services is a no-brainer, but will cost for several GBs of music.
    • flaura
    • By flaura 8th Jul 09, 8:56 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    flaura
    no she shouldn't pay he should have backed it up and assuming that it's an ipod all the music should be on there he could use a programme such as Irepo to get the music from the ipod back onto his new paid for by the insurance company lap top
    Lightbulb Moment - March 2004
    Highest Debt: £16,896.00
    Debt Free Date 25th July 2007 !!
    and still DEBT FREE
    • cozlw
    • By cozlw 8th Jul 09, 9:18 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    cozlw
    Pretty stupid of him to lend it out without it being backed up. Its one thing to lose it yourself, it feels so much worse when someone else has done it. If it were me, she should pay, however there are ways around getting these things for free
  • Ventilator
    The guy's an idiot to have that much stuff on his laptop not backed up. His fault, pure and simple.
    • BobbinAlong
    • By BobbinAlong 8th Jul 09, 10:11 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    BobbinAlong
    No way should she pay. He lent it, he didn't back it up and he didn't have enough insurance cover for the software as well. She obviously had backups as she could "finish" her dissertation even though her computer was broken so he could have said "use it here". His problem!
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 8th Jul 09, 10:23 AM
    • 4,756 Posts
    • 2,877 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    I think the point isn't whether the data was backed up or not.
    The point is that the laptop was lent to a friend.
    She lost it. Insurance will cover most of the loss, so should she pay the rest?

I believe she should, as it was in her possession at the time.
    • The Grandmaster
    • By The Grandmaster 8th Jul 09, 10:55 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    The Grandmaster
    Is it only me who has realised Fearne and Reggie are radio 1 DJs who are the hosts of the Chart Show on Sunday and also have a show on Saturday evening?

I'm sure radio 1 DJs get there music from the BBC or bands wanting their music to be played! Maybe even directly from the music industry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

6,551Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin