Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jun 09, 3:57 PM
    25th Jun 09 at 3:57 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-06-2009 at 8:52 PM.
Page 6
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Nice to see so many new folks joining in
    Well, Im on my 5th NSD in a row .... although I'm going to have to do a fruit top up on friday as "someone" has demolished 2kg apples, 2kg oranges and 2kg of nectarines since Friday ...oh and 1 grapefruit -so Im left with a pineapple and 2 grapefruit ..which will be making juices for the next couple of days...nomnomnom... I will have to make do with my organic natural yoghurt with bottled rhubarb stirred in to make up the rest of my fruit intake until then
    I will also need more salad stuff -another thing we get through at an alarming rate..mind we have them pretty much every day and hubby takes them for lunch....
    Im having some home made cream of tomato soup for lunch and then its a huge salad with feta and steamed potatoes for tea for me, and hubby is't sure what time he will be back (away playing cricket today) -so Im making him a lovely pizza with baguette dough as the base (they are gorgeous if I say so myself )....

Hope everyone is off to a good start....and having a lovely day -its far too hot here
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • fallen angel shelley
    Hi everyone,

I thought I was doing really well and had stocked up for the month on EVERYTHING (cleaning stuff, toilet roll, kitchen roll the lot!) for 45.49.

That should have left me 54.51 for the rest of the month for fresh milk, bread and fruit when needed.

However - its my birthday on Saturday and Im having a BBQ - Im going home tonight to think about what will be on my menu and what I can do with what I already have in, hopefully then, I can keep my spending down to an absolute minimum......

Does anyone have any ideas to help - ie where is the cheapest place for BBQ foods/meat etc.

Thanks

Jo x x
    Originally posted by xx_Jo_xx
    Have a look in iceland, they do some good BBQ stuff, I got DD a big bag of mixed BBQ stuff, chicken, burgers and sausages for 5 for her birthday BBQ. How about making your own pasta salad and potato salad? HTH

Shelley
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. May grocery challenge 41.96/140
  • scotsaver
    Does anyone have any ideas to help - ie where is the cheapest place for BBQ foods/meat etc.

Thanks

Jo x x
    Originally posted by xx_Jo_xx
    Hi Jo - not sure whether you use Free Range Chicken or whether you only buy British Meat - Lidl's Free Range Chicken is only 3.98 a kilo if you don't mind jointing yourself and they do lovely sausages made from British Pork. Alternatively Iceland do a large BBQ bag for 5, contains 25 pieces, burgers, sausages and chicken and they also do Kebabs etc.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Money Fritter
    • By Money Fritter 1st Jul 09, 10:19 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 6,554 Thanks
    Money Fritter
    Hi Everyone,

Can you put me down for 80.83 again for July

Thanks

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) 25938.84; Current 23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 128.47/6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 443.86/15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft 0/2500 (0%)
  • firstyearisthehardest
    I wish we had an Aldi over here! Grapes are 3 in our local shop and DD loves them! No spending yet for me - probably wont until Friday when I do week shop but have to meal plan before I go!!
    Clare

Aug Grocery Challenge 159.45/150
    Aug 5 a day 103.94/155
    Tempus Fugit
  • helen jelly
    Hi everyone
    My spend to day will be 2.28 for bread and milk and that should be it till tomorrow!
    Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 1st Jul 09, 10:48 AM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Just updating my spends. I'm very pleased as I got everything on my list for the week for 70.32 I've still to go to Aldi to get their Super Six and a couple of local cheap shops (a bit like Home Bargains but with freezers ) for cat food. I'm currently buying Iams lamb for 1.99 per kg bag which is more than half the price of Asda or Tesco The totals shouldn't come to more than 15 though hopefully. I'm trying to keep it down while everyone is still at school/college!

xx_Jo_xx The Iceland bags are great. Also get some of the Aldi bananas, make a slit through the skin down one side, stuff with chocolate buttons, wrap tightly in foil and put on the barbeque for a few mins. Delish with squirty cream or ice cream

MrsM Please can you post your recipe for cream tomato soup it sounds lovely. All of your recipes that I've tried in the past are brilliantly easy & foolproof thanks for being so generous
    Last edited by SunnyGirl; 01-07-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: I don't seem to be able to spell today!
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
  • cazzasmazza
    Hi, I'm new to this thread, so hello all!

Please can you put me down for a budget for the month of 225.

This is the first time me and my OH have set a strict food budget for the month. This amount will also have to cover toiletries, cleaning products and cat food.

There's just me, my OH and our 2 (fussy!) cats, so we will see how it goes!!

Thanks to this wonderful site and its members for being a mine of incredible information and such an inspiration to read.

Caz
    xx
    He who does not economize will have to agonize (Confucius)

Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship (Benjamin Franklin)
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 1st Jul 09, 12:29 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    Armed with (a) a freezer full of food, (b) a pantry full of food, (c) a budget of 40, and (d) just a shopping basket as opposed to a trolley, my first week came to ... (drum roll please ...) 14.21.
    Highest debt: 35k (2005); Current debt: 6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; 50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; 2,500 cash; 36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; 1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • MRSMCAWBER
    cream of tomato soup recipe
    Hi SunnyGirl

By some miracle I actually weighed and measured when I was making the soup -not something I usually do..good job I did as I would have been gutted if I couldn't get it the same next time -it was just a use up the odds in the fridge job too

I did mine in the remoska but I will do it for a pan....
    1. drop of oil
    2. 150g carrots peeled and chopped
    3. 150g onion chopped
    4. 1tbs flour
    5. 600g fresh tomatoes -those over ripe ones are best
    6. 2tbs marscapone
    7. 600ml fresh chicken stock
    8. plenty of seasoning
    • cut the tomatoes into chunks and drizzle with oil and sprinkle with cracked black pepper and rock salt -and shove in the oven for about 20 mins until nice n squishy
    • put the drop of oil into a pan and throw in the carrots and onions, stick the lid on and cook until soft (stirring occasionaly)
    • add the flour and stir until absorbed
    • throw in the tomatoes and stock, stir well, stick the lid on and cook for about 15 mins until everything is soft
    • add the marscapone and blitz with a stick blender or in the liquidiser (allow to cool a little first if liquidising -don't want to be responsible for tomato soup on the ceiling )
    • add plenty of seasoning
    you can strain it if you like really smooth -but I don't mind it as it is... its probably one of the nicest soups I have made.
    Im doing another chicken at the weekend just so I can make some more
    oohh if anyone wants to do the remoska version...

just :-
    1. put the oil in and warm up,
    2. throw in the carrots n onions and cook for 10 mins
    3. add the flour and stir in
    4. throw in the RAW chopped tomatoes and cook until nice n soft
    5. add the stock and seasoning and cook until all hot
    6. tip into a large bowl and blitz in the marscapone
    7. then tip back into the remoska and re-heat
    Hope those ramblings make sense
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Please put me down for 100 this month for me and OH. Knocking 10 off as last month was under. Already had a 6.50 spend at the butchers, freezer and cupboard pretty full and stocked up at chinese supermarket last month
  • Lemon_Verbena
    2. chamomile tea for me, rather than buckets of normal tea with lots of milk in
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Cheery Daff if you like Spearmint and have some in the garden you can make a pot of spearmint tea, let it get cold then put it in the fridge serve it over ice and you have a refreshing and minty drink. Spearmint is a 'cooling' herb, borage is to an excuse for a Pimms if ever there was one! You could always chill your chamomile tea as well, if you use chamomile teabags save them, pop them in the fridge and use to put on your eyes to help refresh them.

I'm drinking chilled moroccan mint and ginger tea at the moment, lots of the herbs teas are nice served cold, you just have to experiment with the best flavours for you

LV
    Grocery Challenge : August 09 295.00 194.23, July 09 300.00 281.08
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 1st Jul 09, 12:55 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    MrsM please put me down for 80 again this month

i need to add up last months receiptsbut i have a horrid feeling hubby may have tidied them away (ie chucked em!)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Lemon_Verbena
    Get yourself a spray bottle, white vinegar and water from tap. It's greener and quite frankly cleans better than this toxic chemical rubbish they sell.
    Originally posted by Bitsy Beans
    I agree Bitsy, can I also add that I do this but I tip the vinegar into a jar and add chopped fresh herbs my favourites are lavender, rosemary or lemon verbena or if you have the peel left over from oranges and lemons that you would throw away then use that to make a citrus vinegar, it takes the edge off and you get the benefit of the lovely smell and with most herbs the added antibacterial qualities.

If you use cider vinegar instead of white vinegar you can use the herb vinegar in salad dressings. You need to leave the vinegar for 3 weeks so I tend to make up a batch that will last a few months at a time. Use any herb you like the smell of and you can get in abundance. I keep some lavender vinegar in a spray bottle undiluted that I spray direct on to the worktops to clean does the job nicely. Do not use vinegar if you have any marble work surfaces/chopping boards etc though or they'll melt!

LV
    Grocery Challenge : August 09 295.00 194.23, July 09 300.00 281.08
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 1st Jul 09, 1:34 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    Grrr - had to use 5 of my grocery money to buy sunglasses - I've managed to lose mine and as I drive a lot I need them in this weather, looked around for the cheapest pair and these are decent quality so should last for ages (couldn't buy 1 cheap and nasty ones - just couldn't)

I've decided to completely live off my veg bag and cupboards and freezer this month having had a good rummage. I've got loads of stuff lucking in the back and should provide some new recipies.

Only thing I have to buy is cat food and litter - hello coupons

Looking forward to next month when I don't spend all my money in the first week on a birthday weekend (thought it will be fun)
    House bought - now to clear the mortgage
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 1st Jul 09, 1:36 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    MrsM Thank you so much you are a star! It does sound very tasty, easy and cheap to make too. I'm going to our local market tomorrow so I'll get hold of some ripe tomatoes to make it with.
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 1st Jul 09, 2:24 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,427 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    I wish we had an Aldi over here! Grapes are 3 in our local shop and DD loves them! No spending yet for me - probably wont until Friday when I do week shop but have to meal plan before I go!!
    Originally posted by firstyearisthehardest
    Just spotted your post, if you know anyone who travels by ferry on the Belfast/Stranraer route, couldn't they pop into Lidl or Aldi and bring you some discounted groceries back with them? I'm forever asking folks to get me bargains that I can't get where I live. Our local LETS group also has several people who travel and they bring back bargains for anyone who orders them.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • pixiechick99
    • By pixiechick99 1st Jul 09, 3:44 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 15,477 Thanks
    pixiechick99
    Hi there - Can you put me down for 220 for July please?

Failed June's challenge....
    June NSDs - 0/15
    June Groceries 0/200
    DFW Nerd #1135
  • GettingHitched
    Can i be added for 60 Food and 10 household please xx
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 1st Jul 09, 3:57 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    can i declare 400 for july please

swings and roundabouts havent got pack up etc to worry about but i think the kids eat more at home during the summer hols
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,920Posts Today

7,488Users online

Martin's Twitter