Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 12th Jan 05, 4:36 PM
    • 3,972Posts
    • 7,504Thanks
    culpepper
    seville oranges
    • 12th Jan 05, 4:36 PM
    seville oranges 12th Jan 05 at 4:36 PM
    Dont forget Seville oranges are in fruiterers now to make your marmalade with.
    I nearly always forget until too late but managed to remember for once!
Page 1
  • Galtizz
    • 12th Jan 05, 4:47 PM
    Re: seville oranges
    • 12th Jan 05, 4:47 PM
    Great, thanks for the reminder - lets have your marmalade recipe then ;D ;D

I've never made it. It is easy enough?
  • Caz2
    • 12th Jan 05, 7:33 PM
    • 12th Jan 05, 7:33 PM
    im about to make some marmalade but unsure how long it keeps for, does anyone know please
    • aycor
    • By aycor 12th Jan 05, 7:44 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    aycor
    • 12th Jan 05, 7:44 PM
    • 12th Jan 05, 7:44 PM

I'm waiting for them to arrive
    I make mine in the slow cooker saves standing over a hot stove and softens the peel well. Should keep all year I usually keep my last jar to open for christmas.
    Make sure you sterilize the jars and seal making the lids airtight; mine sit in the kitchen cooling and as they do so the centre button 'pings' down so you know they a sealed just as the shop ones are
    good luck
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 14th Jan 05, 11:48 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 14th Jan 05, 11:48 AM
    • 14th Jan 05, 11:48 AM
    I still have some from last year. I follow the recipe in Delia's book. Don't do what I did last year and double up on the quantities. As Delia says, you can't get the temperature high enough to boil it well so instead if about 15 mins, mine took 45 mins to thicken. This meant it has gone really thick and strong. Still tastes great, but too strong for kids.

What's the recipe for the Slow-cooker one? I can't find my recipe book but would love to give that one a go ;D
    • aycor
    • By aycor 14th Jan 05, 8:27 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    aycor
    • 14th Jan 05, 8:27 PM
    • 14th Jan 05, 8:27 PM
    usual quantities
    cut out the pith and pips etc bring to the boil or pressure cook separately and leave to stand overnight. drain this thro a jelly bag. slice up the peel thinly and cover with water in the slow cooker overnight till tender. add two together discarding the jellybag remains bring to the boil and add the sugar stir well and boil till setting point reached good luck I just adapted and orinary receipe works well and discarding all the pith gives a better flavour and clearer jelly some people put it in but I prefer not to ( W.I trained see othe string)
    • catznine
    • By catznine 14th Jan 05, 10:43 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 14th Jan 05, 10:43 PM
    • 14th Jan 05, 10:43 PM
    You are all so good using real oranges as I have only ever used those large tins called Mamade I think! Just add sugar! Very easy to make tho and still cheaper than buying it readymade.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,261Posts Today

7,294Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin