Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    'What’s the ultimate luxury possession?' poll discussion
    • 15th Jun 09, 1:55 PM
    'What’s the ultimate luxury possession?' poll discussion 15th Jun 09 at 1:55 PM
    Poll between 15-22 June 2009:

What’s the ultimate luxury possession?

Imagine you’d won a contest with a prize that buys one of the following options (inc. all associated expenses) worth roughly £500,000.

Which would you choose? (you’re not allowed to sell it)

A. A Supercar. High end, big engine, major grunt McLaren type. 7% (890 votes)
    B. Holiday Apartment. A holiday home in southern Spain. 45% (5982 votes)
    C. A Helicopter. Four seater power-copter. 3% (455 votes)
    D. Serious Bling. Real diamond & gold hardcore jewellery. 3% (454 votes)
    E. A Yacht. Nice sunseeker type. 15% (2042 votes)
    F. Chalet in the Alps. Cute residence in a nice ski resort. 17% (2243 votes)
    G. Private Plane. Private propeller-engined plane. 6% (835 votes)
    H. Total Plastic Surgery Makeover. Everything surgically possible for looks enhancement. 3% (444 votes)

Total votes: 13345

This vote has now ended, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks

Quick note from Martin:

The aim of this poll is to see which of these luxury goods people dream of. Of course most sensible MoneySavers would opt for cash or things that would make their day to day life better. So all possibilities of doing that have been excluded - hence the 'you can't sell or rent it' option its purely a choice between perceived luxuries.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 23-06-2009 at 6:35 PM.
Page 1
  • Saucepot
    • 15th Jun 09, 2:00 PM
    • 15th Jun 09, 2:00 PM
    Uma Thurman?
    • poorly scammo
    • By poorly scammo 15th Jun 09, 3:19 PM
    • 32,062 Posts
    • 66,699 Thanks
    poorly scammo
    • 15th Jun 09, 3:19 PM
    • 15th Jun 09, 3:19 PM
    Chalet in the Alps. When I'm not there, I can rent it out.
    4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...
  • bigjoneh
    • 15th Jun 09, 3:42 PM
    • 15th Jun 09, 3:42 PM
    Bling, cos I' could sell it when the market suits me and not have to worry about depreciation or maintenance.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 15th Jun 09, 3:43 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 2,819 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 15th Jun 09, 3:43 PM
    • 15th Jun 09, 3:43 PM
    None of them, just a brand new razor blade each day.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 15th Jun 09, 3:53 PM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 10,583 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 15th Jun 09, 3:53 PM
    • 15th Jun 09, 3:53 PM
    I'd probably choose a supercar, just because that would suit me the most. If the plane came with a pilot and all expenses paid though I'd seriously consider that as I travel a lot and it could save me a lot of money in the long run.

I'd consider some of the others more luxurious though, they just wouldn't suit me.
  • dazco
    • 15th Jun 09, 5:13 PM
    • 15th Jun 09, 5:13 PM
    this poll tricked me.

I did not realise they would all be the same value so i picked helicopter.
    I officially change it to Apartment in spain because it is by far the cheapest option to run.

Probably cheaper than it costs to insure the bling.
    S!!!!horpe
    • isofa
    • By isofa 15th Jun 09, 5:29 PM
    • 5,964 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    isofa
    • 15th Jun 09, 5:29 PM
    • 15th Jun 09, 5:29 PM
    I wouldn't call a holiday home an ultimate luxury possession, many, many people have them today, there are 2 in our small family and we aren't millionaires! 500K doesn't really get you ultimately luxury at all, nice houses cost a lot more than that in the UK (certainly where we live anyway, treble that for a nice house). So I'd probably opt for the yacht, not sure how far 500K would go, Sunseeker's aren't cheap! You'd probably be able to run a small one for a year!

The poll states you can't rent out or sell the item too.

The plane appeals, given the time to take my PPL.

To be honest the only thing I'd buy with that sort of money is an extended period off work to enjoy life and travel a bit, time to be is the ultimate luxury, it's not enough to retire on at all either at my age!
    • Norma Desmond
    • By Norma Desmond 15th Jun 09, 6:15 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    Norma Desmond
    • 15th Jun 09, 6:15 PM
    • 15th Jun 09, 6:15 PM
    None of the above; they're all frightfully nouveau riche!
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • twentypenceoff
    . A Supercar. High end, big engine, major grunt McLaren type.
    B. Holiday Apartment. A holiday home in southern Spain.
    C. A Helicopter. Four seater power-copter.
    D. Serious Bling. Real diamond & gold hardcore jewellery.
    E. A Yacht. Nice sunseeker type.
    F. Chalet in the Alps. Cute residence in a nice ski resort.
    G. Private Plane. Private propeller-engined plane.
    H. Total Plastic Surgery Makeover. Everything surgically possible for looks enhancement.

I8 dont like any of them, if forced to choose i would have to say the jewellery but only so i could choose different gem colours for matching outfits.

id rather have a wardrobe of clothes, or a house in the uk, or almost anything else except what is on offer.
  • MadMac
    What a rough selection to pick from - I don't think I'd want any of them either! Would much rather have the money...
    • Mips
    • By Mips 15th Jun 09, 7:45 PM
    • 17,165 Posts
    • 61,307 Thanks
    Mips
    I would go for the Yacht. Something I could enjoy for a long time with lots of people...

... wouldn't be able to afford to keep it somewhere though!
    • Ems!
    • By Ems! 15th Jun 09, 9:09 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Ems!
    Holiday home definitely. I love holidays!! Southern spain wouldn't have been my first choice but beggars can't be choosers!!
  • grownupgirly
    definitely private jet
    It DID say 'all associated costs' so I am assuming that means pilot, running costs, maintenance, parking/storing the thing etc... so in that case, definitely the Private Jet - I have many dear friends in many far flung places (NZ, Oz, USA, Central America etc)- would be able to get to see them as often as I like! Suits me!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 16th Jun 09, 6:14 AM
    • 11,677 Posts
    • 128,893 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    None of the above; as someone else said it's too nouveau riche for my liking. I wouldn't mind a holiday home but I'd make it cheaper and not in Southern Spain. And I'd like a nice car but would be happy with a Lexus hybrid, eg around £60K!!
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • BritRael
    The yacht.

But not a Sunseeker, thats a cruiser. A yacht has just gotta have sails.

As somebody has said though, 500k won't buy much of a Sunseeker, but it'll buy a top-of-the-range Beneteau!
    Marching On Together

I've upped my standards...so up yours!
    • JillyCornwall
    • By JillyCornwall 16th Jun 09, 8:08 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 8,987 Thanks
    JillyCornwall
    The Yacht, plenty of lovely places to explore here around Cornwall and if 500k buys a big enough sunseeker I think I would live on it.
    I agree none of the choices were ideal...if I won 500k I would prefer to have a nice house & the money to afford to live in it. I hate flying now (used to love it) and travelling abroad squashed like sardines into planes as they do now no longer appeals...I was lucky enough to travel in the late 60's & 70's when lager louts & hen/stag booze cruises were still a distant dream..so most places seem spoilt now to this 'grumpy old woman' LOL!!
    Last edited by JillyCornwall; 16-06-2009 at 8:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 16th Jun 09, 8:23 AM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Quick note from Martin:

The aim of this poll is to see which of these luxury goods people dream of. Of course most sensible MoneySavers would opt for cash or things that would make their day to day life better. So all possibilities of doing that have been excluded - hence the 'you can't sell or rent it' option its purely a choice between perceived luxuries.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 16th Jun 09, 9:25 AM
    • 11,677 Posts
    • 128,893 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    OK Martin, if you insist, I'll have the yacht or holiday home in Spain.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • MadMac
    I don't personally view any of those options as a perceived luxury - I don't hanker after any of them.

So if we can't pick 'None of the above', how about to balance things out adding another choice then of 'To pay off your mortgage and/or build you the extension of your dreams' as that would win hands down for me and £500,000 would easily cover it!

Plus, that really would be my idea of absolutely pure luxury. Mmmmm.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

4,321Users online

Martin's Twitter