Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 23rd May 06, 12:39 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    All rail discounts listed in one (two) place
    • 23rd May 06, 12:39 PM
    All rail discounts listed in one (two) place 23rd May 06 at 12:39 PM
    All rail discounts in two stop shop

Rather pleasingly between the two National Rail pages below, all the current rail discounts and promotions compiled and it's a great place to start looking for cheap tickets. They include offers for cheap travel as well as cheap entry to attractions and events around the country.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/promotions/alpha_index.html

and

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/promotions/toc_index.html

Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-05-2006 at 4:58 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • jct
    • 24th May 06, 6:39 AM
    • 24th May 06, 6:39 AM
    Er...There are no links. Running Firefox, will try IE
    • cowbutt
    • By cowbutt 24th May 06, 10:00 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    cowbutt
    • 24th May 06, 10:00 AM
    • 24th May 06, 10:00 AM
    [B]All rail discounts in two stop shop
    by MSE Martin
    Make that three: http://www.megatrain.com/.
    • pchelpman
    • By pchelpman 24th May 06, 1:03 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    pchelpman
    • 24th May 06, 1:03 PM
    • 24th May 06, 1:03 PM
    Er...There are no links. Running Firefox, will try IE
    by jct
    All 3 links listed so far in this thread work for me in Firefox.
  • cher_john
    • 24th May 06, 4:12 PM
    • 24th May 06, 4:12 PM
    Hi, this link enables you to download a voucher for half price train tickets from Southwest Trains.

www.halfpricetraintickets.co.uk limited number available.
  • tigerrag
    • 24th May 06, 5:58 PM
    All rail discounts listed in one (two) place
    • 24th May 06, 5:58 PM
    I'm using IE and the two links are missing.

Can someone please copy and post them?

Any one know why they are not apparent to some and are to others?

Thanks
    • aav
    • By aav 24th May 06, 8:05 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    aav
    • 24th May 06, 8:05 PM
    • 24th May 06, 8:05 PM
    Hi, this link enables you to download a voucher for half price train tickets from Southwest Trains.

www.halfpricetraintickets.co.uk limited number available.
    by cher_john
    Everytime I try and download the voucher it says the page could not be displayed. I have tried it on two different computers and it still does not work. Can someone help me. Does anyone else have this problem?
    • fannyadams
    • By fannyadams 24th May 06, 9:25 PM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    fannyadams
    • 24th May 06, 9:25 PM
    Martin the links are missing
    • 24th May 06, 9:25 PM
    Hi Martin
    the links in your OP are missing.
    Everyone elses in their posts are present and correct - although i haven't tried them.
    thanks
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds
  • canidothat
    • 25th May 06, 9:27 AM
    £12 Rail Fares
    • 25th May 06, 9:27 AM
    Don't know if anyone has found this yet but I have just bought £12 rail tickets from Swansea to London one way on First Great Western. Don't know what other stations they are from but I'm positive they aren't just from here.
    They aren't advertised on the website, you can't buy them from your local train station but if you ring 08457 000 125 (think it's a foreign callcentre) ask for the £12 tickets specifically and hang on for ages, you'll get your tickets but don't dare upset them as they'll shout at you! I needed 2 sets of tickets for June and July and got them. You need to press button 2 then button 4 but if you just ignore the button 4 you'll be put through quicker (I did anyway!) The first lot took 5 hours hanging on then redialling, the second 3 mins! Good luck!
    • Kiwi_g
    • By Kiwi_g 18th Jun 06, 8:07 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kiwi_g
    Went to London yesterday on SouthEastern Trains (Govia ?) and purchased 4 day return tickets for the price of 2. Apparently, this offer is available 7 days a week. I’ve looked on all the web sites but cannot find this offer.

Only 3 of us travelled but it was still a saving. Does anyone know if 3 travelling on this offer is against the T&C’s?
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 18th Jun 06, 11:43 AM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    Went to London yesterday on SouthEastern Trains (Govia ?) and purchased 4 day return tickets for the price of 2. Apparently, this offer is available 7 days a week. I’ve looked on all the web sites but cannot find this offer.

Only 3 of us travelled but it was still a saving. Does anyone know if 3 travelling on this offer is against the T&C’s?
    by Kiwi_g
    This promotion goes under the name of "group save", and is valid for 3 or 4 people travelling together, it doesnt seem to be widely publicised, which seems a bit stupid as I'm sure people would use trains more if they knew about it. It seems to be mainly in the south, SW Trains and Southern certainly offer the deal as do SE Trains from your experience.
    Here is a link to the Southern webpage detailing the offer probably best to check with your local train company in case there are different restrictions in your area.
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 18th Jun 06, 4:09 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    isasmurf
    by Kiwi_g
    This is the page detailing the offer - http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/groupsave.aspx - unfortunatley it appears to be down at the minute.
    • Kiwi_g
    • By Kiwi_g 18th Jun 06, 8:52 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kiwi_g
    Great – here’s a useful discount on South Eastern Trains and no one can find out about it !!!!

Yesterday, the ticket office clerk said “financial suicide” when I asked about the offer and gave me dire warnings that it was only for 4 people travelling together. Apparently it is every day of the week - but I’d like to find out about it and the T&C’s

Found out about it a month or so ago when a friendly clerk saw that we were 4 travelling together (2 groups of 2) and suggested the option.
    • pompeyrich
    • By pompeyrich 18th Jun 06, 11:27 PM
    • 3,064 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    pompeyrich
    Great – here’s a useful discount on South Eastern Trains and no one can find out about it !!!!

Yesterday, the ticket office clerk said “financial suicide” when I asked about the offer and gave me dire warnings that it was only for 4 people travelling together. Apparently it is every day of the week - but I’d like to find out about it and the T&C’s

Found out about it a month or so ago when a friendly clerk saw that we were 4 travelling together (2 groups of 2) and suggested the option.
    by Kiwi_g
    If you go to the Southeastern website, click on "my tickets" then "ticket types" It states the group save ticket is valid for day return tickets, not available during morning peak, this is usually before 10 mon-fri but varies, check at your local station. If you then click on the "days out ticket guide" it says "Groups of three or four people save up to half their rail fare with the Group Save ticket. Up to four children (aged 5-15) can join your group for only £1 each". So if there are 4 of you and split the fare it works out at half price, if there are 3 it's a third off.
    As I said before SWT have been doing this for a while but have only just produced a leaflet about it, their "rules" are the group must travel together at all times, no further railcard discounts apply
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 19th Jun 06, 8:53 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    isasmurf
    This is the page detailing the offer - http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/groupsave.aspx - unfortunatley it appears to be down at the minute.
    by isasmurf
    The link is now working

Terms & Conditions
    Full terms and conditions are available at the station ticket office. Participating Train Operators in the South East are: c2c, Chiltern Railways, First Capital Connect, First Great Western, "one" Great Eastern, "one" West Anglia, Silverlink, Southeastern, South West Trains and Southern. GroupSave 3 is available for combinations of 3 adults, 2 adults and 1 child, 1 adult and 2 child. GroupSave 4 is available for combinations of 4 adults, 2 adults and 2 child, 1 adult and 3 child, 3 adults and 1 child. GroupSave is valid on Cheap Day Returns for return travel on the same day, where available. GroupSave is valid on Off-Peak Day Travelcards for travel only from stations outside of the London area not for purchase in the London Fares Zones 1-6). GroupSave is valid on Savers* for return within one calendar month, where available. Travel on First Great Western may not be available on some busy peak days - please enquire for details. Network AwayBreak is valid for return within five days, where available. Travel time and date restrictions apply. Participating Train Operators in the South East offer a special £1 flat fare for additional accompanying children. Prices shown may be subject to change so please check at your local station.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,293Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter