Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Apr 09 at 10:22 PM
    Welcome to the May 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April 2009 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-04-2009 at 8:34 AM.
Page 24
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 16th May 09, 12:57 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi again peeps,

Forgive me Mrs M, for I have sinned. I have strayed from the path and would like to rejoin please...

I have been keeping a diary and have been noting my spending has gotten out of control again, so would like to come back and keep a track - I probably won't be able to keep up with everything, but any hints and tips that I do must help eh!

I will be budgetting £60 per week - that is for ALL groceries, household products, takeaways (hopefully none of those), personal products, etc. There are 4 of us - Me, hubby, DD-19, who has just moved back home, and DS-15, who eats like a horse!

Look forward to catching up soon,
    Flower x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 16th May 09, 1:07 PM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 35,979 Thanks
    tattycath
    went to Iceland for some shopping today-nearly £22, we did seem to get loads of stuff though. Hopefully it will last a week or so-only got just over £50 to last rest of month!!!
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 83
    Mortgage overpayments:

Emergency savings £100/£2000
    Savercard Christmas savings £10
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb - 29/12/17 155lb
  • Intergalactic Floozie
    I'm a bit in front of my target now having done my weekly main shop today (£33) but should catch up with myself for a non-spend day tomorrow.
    Start Date: 27/11/2010
    Padding: Day 42
    Target £8000
    Amount: £562.23
    • brummiebabe
    • By brummiebabe 16th May 09, 2:30 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    brummiebabe
    Am struggling a bit this month:rolleyes: - have £45.37 left until 26/5/09

However, do have a £20 Asda gift card left - so may have to make a special trip so I can use this (there's not one really local & they don't deliver in my area!)

Will see how it goes......
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
  • Janae
    Just added up spends for the last few days - now have £50.79 left to last 11 days. Managed to pick up some half price poppadoms though to go with the mango chutney and curry sauce also on offer . We're hoping to go camping over the bank holiday weekend and plan to eat out so that will come out of the holiday budget. It will be close but we might just make budget!
    GC April 93.92/500
    • rockie4
    • By rockie4 16th May 09, 5:29 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 9,892 Thanks
    rockie4
    I've been and done a big Asda shop today which has taken my total up to £140.22 I'm off to Sainsbugs in the morning for teabags and (hopefully) some whoopsies for the freezer. 12 days to go to payday :rolleyes: but I've got loads in so I'm still hopeful that I'll make it this month.
    • cw18
    • By cw18 16th May 09, 6:15 PM
    • 8,083 Posts
    • 86,086 Thanks
    cw18
    Nipped to A!di today, and spent the grand total of £1.97

I probably had enough milk until Monday, but going out for any then would mean dragging younger GD with me - and she's not keen if it's raining, especially after 2.5hrs at pre-school. So decided I'd best bob down and get 2x1 litre bottles today to get us part way through next week.

I also picked up a box of Malted Wheat cereal following a phone conversation with DD this morning. Most nights after school my GDs have cereal, but from what I have in the younger one will only eat the chocolate cornflakes (the elder one will also eat the Wheat Biscuits). However they're now apparently tending to go for chocolate cereal in the morning too, and neither DD nor I are keen on them having this twice a day 5 days a week. So I quizzed as to what else they'll eat, and about the only one on the list that I'll also eat was Shreddies - so that's what I've got to make sure it doesn't get wasted if they move back onto toast instead

Have spent the day batch cooking..... 6 portions of Bolognese Sauce now in my freezer, 5 portions of beef stew in the fridge waiting for freezer space (when I move the Bol out of tubs into bags in the moring), and a curry just finished cooking which gives 2 portions for my lads tomorrow and 2 (or possibly 3 if I dare stretch it that far) into the freezer. Also have a cauliflower I need to prep and get in this evening, so probably best go do that now before I forget again :rolleyes2
    Cheryl
  • sadsadjenjen
    Hello All
    Bit upset with myself as overspent yet again. nothing to spend until FRIDAY
    My petrol and Phone top-ups were less than budgeted. However my food budget is way off.
    Next month should be better as I have a full freezer full cupboards and just need to top up some things MrT list already in progress.
    I am hoping 3rd time lucky
    SadSadJenJen
    url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/tick...40/3652140.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 16th May 09, 7:55 PM
    • 4,369 Posts
    • 30,042 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hello....we had a cut price tea...1 portion of spag bol sauce made in to lasagne with some free cheese sauce from waitrose...it was nice...i cant remember the last time i made lasagne but will be doing it again...esp if iv got a portion of spag bol sauce left....its very satisfying using up left overs....especially if no one moans about eating them......result

i have done some baking for the lunch boxes....rocky road and fairy cakes...should keep us going for a bit....just finished cutting uo veg for the freezer.....its great when its reduced and u can keep until u want to use it

take care
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Julimk
    Couple of NSDs here, which is just as well, as not a lot of money left. But only 5 days left to go of May for me.

I’ve started on my shopping list for the big shop at the beginning of ‘June’, but a lot of MrT’s offers run until 19th, so will need to check on Thursday if these are carrying on and/or for new offers. Though at the moment my list on ‘mysupermarket’ is at MrS.

The prices are ridiculous; even just getting in the basics, without any real meals, is coming to over £50. Just glad that I have a good stockpile of meat & fish in the freezer from whoopsie hunting!
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 16th May 09, 8:50 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Very naughty today today, ended up spending £34 again today on party food and various shopping for next week .

Determined next week i'm only buying milk and veg, i'm sick of the prices all going up yet again. I mean how can you keep a budget low when everything seems to be going up :confused:.

Well got a big batch of mince/ lentil/ veg mix in the slow cooker, so will section that off into meals for the rest of the month.
    Made brownies today so if any are leftover will use them for pack lunches next week. We have party food in so fingers crossed we'll have enough. Going to make some pizzas tomorrow for it. Bought so much junk, but hey its a kids party, just won't have to buy any more this year.

Went looking for whoppsies and couldn't find any at all even though we went looking at 6:30pm .

right off to finish tidying and painting for tomorrow.
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 16th May 09, 11:20 PM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 27,347 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone,

Haven't posted for a while but I have been reading when I can. Not doing too badly. Went to DS for a bbq today - we always take some bits and pieces with us - and ended up bringing back some burgers and kebabs that weren't used. If it's nice here tomorrow we may well forego the roast for an impromptu bbq.

My official end date for May's GC is 20th, but like others who have posted, I've noticed that several of the items on offer on MrT website end on 19th. I've therefore taken the radical decision to take delivery a day early which will stock up the freezer and cupboards. Must get some baking done this week for the packed lunches. I keep buying things like cereal bars when actually homemade biscuits would be much tastier (and cheaper!). It's just finding the time.

We have a new massive MrT opening here on Monday. Flyer in the local paper details several good 'opening' offers including Warburtons sandwich rolls 12 for £1. Got some in MrA on Thursday which were whoopsied to £1.03 and are in the freezer ready for the packed lunches but will probably end up buying more! Just so convenient to take out what you need the night before.

Have updated sig.

Have a good weekend all.
    Coxy

May GC - £420/£381.67
    April GC - £400/£412.61
  • theskintfamily
    Well i've failed miserably this month, i am waaay over budget - have no idea by how much but I've been buying food like it's going out of fashion .

I've been feeling really miserable this month and when I'm down I always spend, just need to get a grip and get back on track. I have a tesco delivery coming on tuesday as I had a £10 off code for a £50 spend - see I'm justifying again! then should only need bread and milk to last the rest of the month.

Im not going to dig out the recipts as I think it might depress me even more, but i will set myself another challenge of not spendiing any more that £20 (ex the tesco delivery) for the rest of the month.
    Jan GC £0/£200
    • Hollysan
    • By Hollysan 17th May 09, 7:09 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Hollysan
    We spent a grand total of £32.25 this week, so brings total for the month so far to £282.88. But we still have two weeks to go! OH is away this week though, so we should be able to manage on what we have in.

I also have an aubergine, some mushrooms and some homemade ricotta in the fridge so will try and find time for some cooking and make a veggie mousakka for the freezer. We would have been eating them this evening but OH's Aunt is staying and has offered to take us all out for lunch, hoorah!

Good luck to everyone this week....

Hollysan
    MFiT-T4 #63
    Mortgage £78,000/£67,690.73
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 17th May 09, 7:51 AM
    • 806 Posts
    • 10,229 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Hoping for a NSD but we'll see!
    Got a nice gammon in the slow cooker, gonna have it with mashed potatoes and steamed veg...yum!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 2 JUNE GC £192.92/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • fletch3163
    • By fletch3163 17th May 09, 8:42 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    fletch3163
    Good Morning everyone

Thankfully the weather up her (Scotland) has mellowed. The sky was SO LOW yesterday. Thought I could feel it pressing on my head

So, shopping - did Asda and M&S yesterday (M&S a blip though cos I wasn't actually looking for anything specific). Asda was £64.54 but I don't have stuff for lunches yet. Reminder to self, bought box of Coco Pops this day. See, I'm sneaking Tesco's own choc snap things into the mix of coco pops. Have been doing this successfully for a couple of weeks now but I want to see how long the Coco pops last with the addition. £3 a box is scary. DS knows nothing so SSSSHHHHHH! He did spot the Daddies Sauce to Asda sauce in quick time though.

M&S spend was £14.97 but I got 2 x chicken casserole with dumplings for £1.50 each (does DH on his Saturday nightshifts)
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 17th May 09, 9:52 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    Found this recipe & some serving suggestions on a pack of MrS wholewheat fusilli.

Fusilli with Broccoli
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    3 garlic cloves
    1 red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
    2x400g cans chopped toms
    20g flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
    300g fusilli
    400g broccoli, broken into florets
    50g freshly grated parmesan or pecorino cheese to serve (optional)

Method....
    In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil then add the garlic & chilli & cook for 4-5min until garlic is softened. Add the toms & parsley & cook for a further 3-4min. Put to one side.
    In another saucepan cook the past as per pack instructions, adding the broccoli florets after the first 8min, continue to cook for further 4-6min.
    Drain & combine with tom sauce. Serve with parmesan cheese or pecorino, if using.
    Overall prep time:30min. Serves 4.
    Per serving: 481cals; 18g fat.

Serving tip....
    one of the simplest ways to serve pasta is to mix it with a little olive oil or butter and freshly ground black pepper to taste, reheat for a few seconds & stir in freshly chopped herbs or grated parmesan cheese. Delicious also tossed in olive oil, freshly chopped toms & freshly chopped basil.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• sillyinthepast
    • By sillyinthepast 17th May 09, 12:14 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    sillyinthepast
    Had a couple of NSD's this week so am feeling very

Am now at 100.82 out of £200 and I still have a full freezer and cuboards so am hoping I will make this easily.
  • Cornishpixie
    I've just completed "The Race for life". I was hoping stuff in the freezer would tide us over till shop on tues, but hubby in a I want to go to Mr A mood. So goodness knows what he'll get. (He poo pooed my sensible list). Hopefully I can knock some of the stuff he brings back off my tuesday delivery. If not I maybe over budget this month. It maybe down to damage limitation Right o off to make a cuppa/referee the kids etc, etc
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Well done cornish Pixie
    After doing that -i hope he brings you something yummy back as a treat
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,763Posts Today

7,421Users online

Martin's Twitter