Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Apr 09 at 10:22 PM
    Welcome to the May 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April 2009 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-04-2009 at 8:34 AM.
Page 18
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 9th May 09, 7:15 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear
    good evening...hope everyone is enjying the weekend...iv been busy baking...cookies and fairy cakes..all aeemed to go down well...im trying to keep a couple for packed lunch on monday but well see

we had a nice tea...chicken drumstix coated in pataks tandoori coating i got it from home bargains for 29p...its nice...if u like tandoori chicken...asda has got muller yogurts for 20p each...we have had loads this week...very handy for puddings

we are going out for a very gc friendly lunch tomorrow...45p hot dog from ikea...and maybe chips...might even loose my head completely and buy some of their donuts

take care
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • HowlinWolf
    evening everyone. I thought it was about time I posted an update. After the big Mr S online shop, small in store shop with Mr S and a shop at L!dl I can report the we have 75.04 left from our 350 budget. The milkman has been paid and there is still a little left in the tin either to pay the window cleaner or put towards the next 2 weeks milk.

The 75.04 does not include the 30 for the babysitter so actually we have 105.04 left from the shopping budget if we need it as dp and I will pay 15 each for the babysitter and put it back in the kitty. There is plenty food in the house and nappies and toiletries etc so I think we are doing quite well. I shall go and catch up with the thread now!
    • Boomdocker
    • By Boomdocker 10th May 09, 6:16 AM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 2,348 Thanks
    Boomdocker
    Hi Frugalswan, I think clutterydraw summed it up pretty well.

I am fortunate not to have any debt however having just gone through a period of redundancy and only being 3 months into a new job I have a similar view that I still wish to be savvy where I can be without denying myself so that I can save and/or spend where I choose without any guilt.

Thanks to discovering this site around 3 years ago I now have a small 'nest egg'. Not a huge amount but for someone who never saved it helped me through my period of unemployment so I totally agree that you should have a balanced approach to spending v saving. None of us know what is around the corner.
    Boots Card - 17.53, Nectar Points - 15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - 2575.00
  • orchid-96
    Just popped on to update my sig...my plan to avoid my shop till tomorrow didn't pan out!! I really had to get out of the house yesterday for a while after the morning I had with my lot :rolleyes: anyway was already planning to get the aldi super 6 so though I may as well pick up any bits that are good there too...

So spen 22.01 but did do pretty well, am going to meal plan today to keep any more shopping this week to an absolute minimum...

Hope everyone is having a good weekend
    Jun GC 250.00/12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 10th May 09, 11:49 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    afternoon all,

spent about 25 this week, overall.

have a recipe for you all, Pea & Ham Soup

which even my fussy hubby loved!!

cooked two ham hocks (from morry's) in the slow cooker til the meat fell of the bones.
    soaked the marrowfat peas (500g bag) over night then cooked according to instructions.
    drained the peas, fried two chopped red onions, added 4 small chopped carrots and a little garlic. added peas and enough chook stock to just cover the veg.
    cooked for 30 mins (ish) and then blitzed up, ready to serve with chopped up ham sprinkled on top!

enjoy

ioiwe
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• dink1
    Hi GUys,

20 days left and I am determined not to go over budget this month (need to pull it back have been going way off course last few months) feeling comfortable at present as every cupboard I have is bulging with food but may not be so chipper later in month. Can anyone tell me if there is a thread with contents of of pantry to cook with or along those lines? Oh well happy weekend peeps.Dink1
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 10th May 09, 12:55 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 10,111 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Helloo,
    Having a grumpy day today! Nothing is going to plan....
    Have managed to finish off a few jobs in the garden, got plenty more to do indoors though..grr
    Made a loaf of bread, sorted and cleaned up kitchen, so I have done a little.
    Seem to be lacking in motivation.... any tips?
    So far a NSD!!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 1 MAY GC /300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • clayremonkey
    • By clayremonkey 10th May 09, 1:20 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    clayremonkey
    Hi All.

I started my month on Wednesday 6th and have only been to the shops once since then. I do however have some things left over from last month. I have spent 20.55 on food so far out of 200. I dont know how to do a signature so can't update mine!!

C
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 10th May 09, 1:32 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Helloo,
    Having a grumpy day today! Nothing is going to plan....
    Have managed to finish off a few jobs in the garden, got plenty more to do indoors though..grr
    Made a loaf of bread, sorted and cleaned up kitchen, so I have done a little.
    Seem to be lacking in motivation.... any tips?
    So far a NSD!!
    Originally posted by Mrsgibbs1503
    How about........accept you have done some stuff, pour a glass of your preferred tipple, put feet up and read a good book!!

I feel a bit the same today, did so much cooking and cleaning yesterday feel like a day off today but still hoping to get into the garden (between torrential downpours here) and plant some potatoes.

Hope your day improves!

• kezlou
    • By kezlou 10th May 09, 3:59 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Well have no motivation today, just feel totally wiped out.
    Went shopping yesterday with DS bought a load of junk food inc lots of basic chocolate for baking brownies etc for his birthday party next week, also bought three bottle of wine naughty i know. Will need to buy crisps etc but generally think i got most of it sorted.

Haven't been out today, the rain attacked so i thought no way am i going out. Need eggs but i might wait till tomorrow to buy them.

Make some rhubarb jam today, tasted some of the remains and it was lush.
    Going to give a jar to my nice who supplied the rhubarb.

Well off to make kiwi fruit jam and put another loaf in for tomorrows pack lunches.

Bye all x
  • Intergalactic Floozie
    Went to Morrisons today for my usual Sunday shop which was just 16.66. I went late-ish last week (about 1:30) and they had no cheap chickens left so I went to 10am when the opened today and they had plenty left and also 12 x Value Yorkshire Puddings for 40+p, which I didn't even know existed as they must all be sold out when I usually go!

Also discovered they do value sliced white bread at 38p per loaf - another discovery that must be sold out by the time I usually go as I have never seen it before.

My trolley was just a pile of yellow value stuff today LOL.

Also saved money by buying a big bottle of perfectly clear flavoured water (77p) to decant into an empty 500ml bottle for eldest DS for school. They didn't have the usual stuff we get, which is 97p for four bottles.

So, I'm up on my target but I shouldn't need to go for another couple of days at least.
    Start Date: 27/11/2010
    Padding: Day 42
    Target 8000
    Amount: 562.23
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 10th May 09, 6:26 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Woo bargains!

*cough*

I mean to say, how could I refuse when my best friend mentioned that she was going to Asda and Tesco to check out offers? At tea-time on a Sunday, surely reductions were there to be had? Oh yes!

Tesco

Large crusty loaf - 21 pence (Was 1)
    Grapes - 88 pence (Were 1.70ish)
    Tuna steaks (2 in a pack) - 1.61 (Was 3.78) Very pleased with this as I can't afford tuna steaks at the moment at full price
    2 x double chocolate muffins - 12 pence Not sure of full price
    2 x pink iced doughnuts - 12 pence (Was 55 pence) I have eaten one already and they are gooooood.
    5 x Muller corner yoghurts - 1 multibuy
    Cookies - 59 pence. Only full price item bought

Total Tesco spend 4.53

Asda

2 x Smart Price chocolate digestives 0.66
    Milk 1.06
    Gravy 20p reduced "Perfect with beef/lamb" it said. I had sent OH home to put the lamb in the oven. Hurrah!
    Whiskas 5 for two packs
    Peas 2 for two packs (birdseye)
    T-Bone steak (massive) 1 reduced from 7.34 It looks yummy, and will either do OH when I'm out one night or will somehow feed both of us. Bargaintastic!

Total Asda spend 9.92 but would have been less if not for the offer on Catfood.

The tuna and the steak are in the freezer for another day, I'm looking forward to my red wine gravy with my cheap lamb, and all is well with my Sunday. Hope you are all having a lovely weekend.

f_f
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 10th May 09, 7:41 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 10,111 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Thanx Ellemm!
    Sorry was havin a rant earlier.... it's that time of the month and I'm feelin tetchy (doesn't help that we're tryin to conceive... another thread tho!!)

I did give myself a pat on the back, made lunch and then took the hubby and kids out 4 a bike ride!!!!

Hubby also decided to lay carpet in hall, I've put up pictures and other bits too, so it actually looks like we've moved in now!! lol

It's also a NSD!!!! yippie x
  • huxley
    Hi all its been a busy day, cooking, cleaning, washing and yucky ironing! Spent some time in the garden dh was working so didnt get to allotment. Not sure how the GC is going to work this month, havent used Mr T for delivery in a long while and got sent an offer 3 shops of 50 in May lots of extra points, so will be buying bits that wont actually be using this month but are on special or heavy to carry but of course will have to be paid for from this month so going to have to keep notes of prices of things I store to even up the budget in the coming months. Off to update signature enjoy the rest of the evening
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 10th May 09, 8:22 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    I tried to make up for my extravagance yesterday by having a huge cooking session today. We had a boneless pork joint roasted for lunch and I also made a loaf of bread to take advantage of having the oven on. I made my own custard to go with the special offer rhubarb I bought in Sainsbury's on Thursday and as this gave me a spare egg white I made some fairy cakes using this and one whole egg. I also made an asparagus quiche with half of the bunch I bought in Waitrose yesterday and some leftover creme fraiche. That's now in the freezer for another day.

Now I am shattered as I also did a big pile of ironing and helped OH to clear out the garage - all this before we went for a swim at the local leisure centre(trying to burn off the extra weigh we put on on holiday!) We managed 20 lengths without too much trouble - not bad for a couple of olduns!

Have a good week everyone and keep up the good work.

Moniker

PS -Someone was asking about a thread for using what's in your store cupboard - I think there is a web site called LoveFoodHateWaste - which I think gives you recipes using whatever ingredients you have in - but I might have remebered this wrongly. Can anyone else confirm this?
    Last edited by Moniker; 13-05-2009 at 5:18 PM.
  • lizzyshep
    Just popping in to update. My budget has taken a bit of a bashing today, as I went on a food walk in Southall and couldn't resist buying a few bits and bobs! I've still got plenty of food at home though, and there was some curry left over from our lunch which I got the restaurant to wrap up for me - I cooked some rice and got 3 more meals out of it!

I've also made a bit of money in the last week, about 30 on Amazon and 50 on eBay so I'm doing quite well :-)
    April Grocery Challenge: 80/64.39
    March No Spend Days: 15/7
  • lizzyshep

PS -Someone was asking about a thread for using what's in your store cupboard - I think there is a web site called LoveFoodHateWaste - which I think gives you recipes using whatever ingredients you have in - but I might have remebered this wrongly. Can anyone else confirm this?
    Originally posted by Moniker
    Yes, it's a great site! There's also www.cookingbynumbers.com which is similar.
    April Grocery Challenge: 80/64.39
    March No Spend Days: 15/7
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 11th May 09, 7:27 AM
    • 798 Posts
    • 10,111 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Was hoping for another NSD but there's no chance!
    It seems I've had a load of animals in over the weekend who've eaten their way round the kitchen!!!!
    Will be sticking to the basics tho & have told hubby & kids if it's not there they can't eat it... lol
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 11th May 09, 11:00 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    earthmother
    Updating from yesterdays Asda delivery, and this mornings Sainsburys/Co-op run to replace what Asda forgot :rolleyes:

Total so far is now 56.07 - which about where I had hoped by now - 5 days in, a fifth of budget spent - looking good
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
    • fletch3163
    • By fletch3163 11th May 09, 11:29 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    fletch3163
    Had probably my best ever day yesterday (in terms of money saving/ housekeeping, etc)

I did a huge ironing, made chicken pasta, home made soup, rice pudding, warm rolls, all from the cupboards and freezer. Feeling very pious now. DH did the hoovering, DS went out to play in the rain. To top it all it was a No Spend Day

DH home today so not sure how the spending is panning out but, after his " I didn't pay attention to my spending" of last week, he'll know to pay attention this week.
    Grocery Challenge M: 450/425.08 A: 400/.May -400/361 June 380/230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,361Posts Today

5,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin