Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Apr 09 at 10:22 PM
    Welcome to the May 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April 2009 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-04-2009 at 8:34 AM.
Page 11
    • carolt2
    • By carolt2 3rd May 09, 3:29 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 14,784 Thanks
    carolt2
    Afternoon all, again posted to update signature, its now sitting at just under half of my budget and only 3 days in.
    Mind you we have got some items that are going to last for ages.
    Went to MR M and got 2x1.5kg gammon joints for £4.99 each.... cooked one last night in SC and this is going to be sliced up and frozen for sandwiches, the other is tucked away in the freezer.

Went to Netto this afternoon on our way home and spent just under £40,

For anyone thats interested they are selling 5L bottle of Comfort Pure for £3.69, which OH thought was a bargain. This will last us ages so wont have to buy any for a while.

Signature updated
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
    • katiecoodle
    • By katiecoodle 3rd May 09, 6:16 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    katiecoodle
    I can't believe my OH - I was adamant that I'm not going to nip to the supermarket in the next few days for a loaf of bread, or a pint of milk, (that's where most of my spending comes in). He just called me from the pub to ask if I minded him eating out - I told him no, come home, dinners here for you - so he came back, WITH HIS MATE!!! So I gave them both huge bowls of pasta carbonara, dead filling, with a poached egg on top - it looked lovely. And between them they polished off three quarters of a loaf of bread with it, making sandwiches out of it! (Philistines) So now I'm going to have to nip out tomorrow for more bread for DDs lunchbox on Tuesday. I'm determined that's all I'll get tho - I've got to be dead strict about it.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 3rd May 09, 6:50 PM
    • 7,768 Posts
    • 15,635 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    OK I have got to get a grip this month so I'm in for a realistic (hopefully) £150. Don't have time to turn around these days and it's a lot harder to be OS when you're racing in and out of the house all the time. Fingers crossed.

At least this challenge is making me keep an eye on my spending though

I've already spent £64 on an online shop but that covered ingredients for a family party etc...so another £84 for the month...
    Last edited by belfastgirl23; 03-05-2009 at 6:53 PM.

• sharronej
    • By sharronej 3rd May 09, 6:52 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    I can't believe my OH ..... He just called me from the pub to ask if I minded him eating out
    Originally posted by katiecoodle
    At least you stopped him from buying a pub meal which would have invariably needed more beer to go with it! Why not give him the exact money and send him to the shop for the replacement bits?
  • Jaycee1972
    Hi

Back now I have done my sums. So far I have spent £98.03 at Sainsb (home del), £14.49 on veg box del and £26.84 at Tesco. Total £139.36. Budget is £200 this month (including alcohol to be consumed at home).

So that is £60 left to last the month which should be no problem as my cupboards are bursting. Trouble is I can't resist a bargin and I have to go to the shop to do my mums shopping each week and I end up spending more than I need to. Not sure how I spent £26+ at Tesco after getting my veggies and Sainsb del already! I thought I only needed milk, bananas.. Oh well, it will all come in.

Off to do an inventory/meal plan now. Did my cupboards the other day but still need to go through the fridge/freezer and have been putting it off as I can hardly shut the fridge door. Will feel better when I have had a sort out. I hate to waste anything and the trouble with having to much in, is I might miss something and let it go off.

A lot of what I have will last the month, I have enough baking ingredients (appart from eggs), 3 wks cat food, loo rolls, cleaing stuff, washing stuff, toiletries, might need another pk of nappies depending how the potty training goes wine (6 bottles included in order), will need pepsi max (as I am addicted and only have 2 wks worth in - I try to just have one can a day and get it from farmfoods or on BOGOF), I will need coffee, pasta, bread, mushrooms, fruit, other veg....

Just to add, my household is just me, my 2 and a half year old son and 2 cats. Husband eats here a couple of times a week and if he stays over may take pack up a couple of times too (we are separated but trying to work it out...). I work part time so take pack up 3 days. My boy eats at nursery/with Dad/Grannie on those 3 days apart from tea on Wed. We have home cooked meals together on the other 4 days the other meal being soup or toast, sandwiches with various fillings/toppings. I often take leftovers to work. On the days M has eaten elsewhere I might make curry when he is in bed for my tea and take some to work the following day/freeze some for another time. We have just discovered baking which M loves. We are having mixed success but lots of fun

Will keep posting this month to try to keep on track!

Jane x
    Last edited by Jaycee1972; 03-05-2009 at 7:23 PM.

Jaycee x

• gailey
    • By gailey 3rd May 09, 7:46 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Right im back in the game after few months off need to get focussed again.

Am expecting baby no2 in septemebr which has messed up our grocery shoping last few months

On plus side was so sick dident eat much myself but amount hubby and toddler eats makes up for it!

Havent been able to face cooking as just being in kitchen has made me very sick and not just been mornings.

Did go through weird craving for weightwatchers ready meal maybe as it was creamy and bland.

Had some changes with daughter too as shes over 3 now and heavy wetting@night in oredr to get any sleep myself have switched to disposables and shocked at cost of them do miss my cloth!
    Plan to use cloth for next a baby.

Daughter also started preschool and they have to take fruit to share each session sent apples 2 days in a row last week must make mental note to take more intresting fruit next week but fruit bowl empties fast here and bananas have habit of getting binned.

Also got to bake 2 cakes for preschool next week god knows what something cheap!

We been doing supermarket challange and not been to lidls in last few months and have mainly shopped in sainsburys which is nearest but also gone back to old faithful tesco.
    Our local co-op is well expensive couldent get over sepnding 33quid today that was me just cherrypicking the offers, own brands, reduced and things on our list we needed.

Daughters still a squash monster so get through that fast I cant bear to touch squash but got craving for pop which aint cheap habit baba did prefr sprite now its coke! I try to shop round for deals.

Think we need to do mix if lidls,tesco and saisbury as they all have good deals its just finding tome to do them all.

Been really pleased with saisnury as yeo valley organic yougurts and mouse been on offer for ages at half price!

Hubby still takes packed lucnch every day.

Now im bit better have started cooking again which I love have 6portions of lasgane in freezer and 3portions shepards pie so quite pleased with that.

Things we struggling with is

bread-tried making my own but hubby not keen

snacks family like their crips,choc, biscuits and icecream

fresh fruit and veg using it all without waste potatoes keep spouting despite being put in dark cupboard!

The whole family big snackers eveing meal not too much of an issue its lunch stuff like sandwiches and snacks which bump up my bill always running out of

bread, cheese and ham!

Even resorted to sadwich pastes on deperate days.
    tried grating cheese to use less of it.

Hubby gets paid 15th may so put us down for £200 will try our best!
    Need the challane to keep me focussed and give me ideas!

Glad to be back.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • milliejo
    • By milliejo 3rd May 09, 7:58 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 5,152 Thanks
    milliejo
    Please put me down for £300 in May.
    The first month we tried this -september 08 I think we came in at £420 & are feelling very pleased that we have been gradually reducing the total each month
  • Julimk
    Didnít need to do any cooking or shopping today. But with DD not here took the opportunity to use up a few bits that had been knocking around for a while.

Had ĺ packet of ground almonds that were past BBE date & 1/3 jar Tiptree strawberry conserve from when we went to the factory last year. So made a Bakewell tart. 3 sad apples & 2 sad peaches stewed up & added to flapjacks.

The chicken (already had two meals out of it!) had enough meat left to add to l/o bacon joint for a chicken & bacon pie. Last bits of chicken & carcass & l/o butternut squash made into soup with a couple of sad toms & even sadder spring onions from the bottom of the fridge with a couple of carrots & an orange pepper, so it is a gorgeous orange colour.

Only £30 left in budget, but only 2 Ĺ weeks to go & should just need milk & fresh fruit, and maybe a few bits & bobs. So should be no problem!
    • grandmasam
    • By grandmasam 3rd May 09, 8:16 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 5,589 Thanks
    grandmasam
    whoops, sorry mrs m,made a big mistake when i said £125 for may

should be £60 for may!!!

added in ds3 family shop for when i drive to germany in the summer, they've given me their list and i had to price it and added this to my mthly shop list, :confused:

thank you, and sorry!!
    Saving for another hound
    from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
    • sillyinthepast
    • By sillyinthepast 3rd May 09, 8:44 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    sillyinthepast
    Well I went to Tescos today to get what I needed for the week and it came in at £25.01 so I was very pleased.

It was mainley for things I don't buy weekly like coffee and ketchup. OH was a bit shocked about the amount of value stuff I bought though
  • jinky67
    Up to date i have spent the grand total of £24.74....how the heck I have managed that already I dont know:rolleyes:
    Once a Flylady, always a Flylady
    • Hollysan
    • By Hollysan 3rd May 09, 8:51 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Hollysan
    Mrs M, please put me down for £400 for May.

Thanks!

Hollysan
    MFiT-T4 #63
    Mortgage £78,000/£67,690.73
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 3rd May 09, 9:08 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Hi everyone!

Well my mince/brown lentils/veg mixture pie worked well.
    DS1 thought its had too many "peas" in it though, little did he know it was manily lentils . Daft thing thing he ate it all though and went for seconds!

Well out of the mince mixture and i made two very filling pies (four times more mix than a deep filled one out of a supermarket).

So we had one of the pies for tea another cooked and ready to eat. Then enough mixture for shepards pie i think. Also made loads of mash so going to use that to make shepard's pie and fish cakes.

Also used three very sad and pathetic looking bananas and turned them into fairy cakes.So going to freeze some for next weeks pack lunches.

Here's another recipe:-

Macaroni Cheese
    Macaroni Cheese
    250grams cups full of macaroni (or other pasta)
    2 tbsps of plain flour
    2 tbsps of butter
    1 pt milk
    75g grated cheese (whatever you like)

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6.
    Cook pasta according to instructions.
    Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in flour till bonded together.
    Add some milk and whisk till blended gradually add more and more till all the milk is used up.
    Remove from heat and add the cheese and stir.
    Drain pasta, and pop in an ovenproof
    Cook in the oven for about 30 mins on gas mark 6 or till top is crispy and golden brown.
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 3rd May 09, 9:24 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Not popped in for a while. Just been busy busy. MrsM I'm going to sit this month out. Had so much on I've lost track as far as April is concerned.

Hopefully be back on track for June.

I'll still be popping in to get tips & stuff though.

Have a good month everyone.
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • Mrs. Irwin
    Bought a few bits and pieces over the weekend, and have updated sig. Doing very badly, as I'm nearly halfway to limit!

I haven't included fish and chips and icecream from our day to the seaside, as they were the reason we went.
    And I won't be including the food I'll be buying for DS 1st birthday party on Saturday as that is a special occasion. (Not that I have a budget for special occasions, but it will be a lot. :rolleyes

I think I'm going to struggle to keep under target, I can't believe how expensive everything is. Tins of tomatoes for 33p! What is that all about?!
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

Grocery Challenge: September: £1.75/£200
  • kiwiblue
    Hi everyone,
    Day four of the challenge and so far have not spent anything. Hope to keep this up for the rest of the week.
    Next week will need milk and some fresh veg, but so far, so good...
    Jan: $386.38/$500
  • HowlinWolf
    Hello all

just done the Mr S online shop for the month, got pretty much everything I need except nappies and nappy bags for £134.75, will need a few top ups but not too many and that cost includes 6 bottles of wine. Yay.

Also bought some cheeses, breads and veggies at the farmer's market the other day. Not sure how much it cost in total but I put the coin change in the milkman tin and I spent £10 on M&S dine in for two on Friday as we were doing jobs round the house after work and I felt we needed a treat. Not very old style but still!

£30 has also gone out of the food budget to pay the babysitter but if we are struggling for food budget at the end of the month we will throw £15 each back into the kitty to make up for it. Doing quite well so far I feel. It feels good to have re-instated the grocery cash tin (we put the budget for the month in there and spend for food out of it rather than using debit card)
  • dink1
    Hi Guys!

have been at work over the weekend (boo nasty employers!) on the plus side have not been able to spend any pennies!!!!!!!! am just writing out my shopping list. now where is that pen?... Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50
  • Janae
    Managed a NSD yesterday but will definitely have to go out today for stuff.
    Went to BBQ after work, came home and OH said he was hungry and started raiding the fridge and there was LOADS of food left at the BBQ
    Must do some meal planning for the next few days. I think it's going to work better only doing a few days at a time as plans change frequently in our house and this way I can make sure that leftovers DO get used up.
    Have a good BH everyone.
    GC April 93.92/500
    • Purpleclutterbuck
    • By Purpleclutterbuck 4th May 09, 8:56 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Purpleclutterbuck
    MrsM - please can you include me this month for the amount of £300
    Thanks so much - I find it helps me focus on the shopping -they must think I'm mad at the till when I say "How much?" because much to the tillgirl's annoyance I keep putting things back !
    The name is Purpleclutterbuck
    and not clutterbug but you can leave it if it's a problem
    thanks to all for the great ideas!!!!
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,798Users online

Martin's Twitter