Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Apr 09 at 10:22 PM
    Welcome to the May 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April 2009 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-04-2009 at 8:34 AM.
Page 5
  • jackiegibbo
    PLEASE PUT ME DOWN FOR 200 FOR MAY

Good luck to everyone with their challenge
  • Money saving Diva
    Ok.. we failed miserably in April. *sighs* I am declaring at 364.94.

Please can I be put down for 330.00 for May? Only a small drop but hopefully realistic.

Good luck everyone with their personal challenge this month.

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 29th Apr 09, 10:43 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Hi! I'd like to set my May budget at 250 please. This is for 2 adults and a toddler and covers all food (including organic/free range pork, poultry and eggs) and household goods.

I have a weekly MrT delivery so my first spend will be on the 5th

Good luck everyone

Nikki x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 29-04-2009 at 10:56 PM.
  • wigwam
    Well my first challenge has started - I spent the weekend looking at online banking and found I'd been spending 844 PER MONTH average for Jan, Feb, March on food / eating out and money during the week at work!

Set a budget for 200, has hoing to come in under 100 and buy a remoska but sadly over that limit already!!
    Not too fussed though - wanted to build up a few key staples just incase the world closes down!!! Am planning on putting the receipt on the fridge door and crossing off items as I use them so I can make sure not to buy the same stuff week after week.

Good luck all xxx
    LBM March 2011: CC14697 2968; CC2 3873.293754 CC3 2972 2807 ;CC4 3100Loan900300
    Pay off in 2011 challenge:
    2034.28 / 6000[SIZE=1] 4841/10000 (started March - total payments, updated end May!)

• doelani
    • By doelani 29th Apr 09, 11:42 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    doelani
    Well i age in and did a tesco order, as not offically May yet it is coming out of spare money in bank so I guess I am cheating to give myself a head start lol

I was good though and stocked up on things like tins and cleaning products and still only spent 80. Roll on friday when the challange really starts
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 30th Apr 09, 6:45 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    mummygems
    Morning. I havent managed to do my GC for months now so I need to get right back into it. MrsM can I please be put down for 375 this month thank you.

Am off to read from page 1 now and get lots of inspiration.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (12), DD (10) & DS (7) and 2 mental beagles
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 30th Apr 09, 9:11 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Hi everyone, over spent last month darn cat food, so declared that on April thread.
    So this time i haven't spent anything so far off the May budget, unlike last month. Tomorrow if milkman turns up i'll have to pay him two weeks. But that should hopefully be it.

Decided to do the freezer / store cupboard challenge, so hoping this bring me well under budget. Its my sons birthday this month which will be expensive, so not looking forward to it price wise. I have done a meal plan for the rest of the month, so going to try and stick to it.

Well good luck all with the challenge!!!
  • Janae
    51.33 so far but I am starting a stockpile of things on offer which should help later in the month and today should be a NSD. Meal planning NOT going well, I think I need to build in several contingency plans...
  • poppyjoe
    Morning everyone!

Can i join please? I have been trying to budget better for my grocery shops and I think I am making some headway, batch cooking and trying not to throw anything away but I now need to be a bit more firm with it all. So I have kind of cheated this month and I have bought my son nappies, milk etc and I want to concentrate on our food and household products with a view of eventually including the nappies etc in the total. So for May can I be put down for 200 please.

Thanks! I am now off to look at the recipes and then do my online shop! :rolleyes:
    Last edited by poppyjoe; 30-04-2009 at 9:21 AM.

• Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 30th Apr 09, 9:34 AM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 14,556 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Hiya

Back after a couple of months absence. Please can you put me down for 150 for the month of May please. Hopefully it will be a lot less and this thread really keeps me motovated.

• Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 30th Apr 09, 9:56 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi folks,

after my shocking overspend last month i`ve now worked out my budget for May

Can you put me down for 120 for May please Mrs M

Hopefully with the amount of food in the freezer all should be well and i`m going to be really strict with no overspends at all

Good luck for May peeps!

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • keys
    I got completely lost it in April Challenge due to ongoing internet and pc problems. So i have saved all my recipts for food shopping but to save time i would just like to start a fresh on the May Challenge please can you put me down for
    240 May
    Im actually hoping i really dont meet this target but i have a fair idea i might go over it so i plan to buy mainly discounted foods and shop about in my spare time.
    I started a bit of my shopping yesterday for the month as so i will add this too my sig later.

Ebay Bag A Day Challenge 2012-
    *10 a Day Febuary Challenge
    66.23 / 290
    2 savers#131
    Crazy Clothes Challenge Me 3.99/ 200 Dd 16 /200

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 30th Apr 09, 10:55 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    400 for May please. April wasnt my best month i kept forgetting to update my sig, didnt do a shopping list and generally went to pot
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 30th Apr 09, 12:00 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Had a disatorous April, with one thing and another, didn't even keep track of spends (although didn't go into my overdraft at all and managed to put some savings away too).

For May I'm going for 200 please

Thanks x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • fletch3163
    • By fletch3163 30th Apr 09, 12:34 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    fletch3163
    Following a theme..........
    .......... I too had a disastrous April but vow to do better in May. My spending in general has been just shocking, not just my grocery shopping.

I also feel my eating has gone to pot. I've successfully followed a conscious eating regime since the end of January which resulted in an near 2 stone loss but I've fallen off the wagon here too . I can't decide if I've been too strict with myself and am now somehow rebelling or if it's horMOANS or what??!

Anyway, shake up coming tomorrow. Am going to plan, plan, plan my May and hopefully do better.

Quick question if I may though, Pork! The guy on Sky News this morning said "theoretically" you can catch it from raw pork. Now, will this mean people will stop buying? if so should I stock up or should I body swerve the stuff?
    Grocery Challenge M: 450/425.08 A: 400/.May -400/361 June 380/230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
    • cw18
    • By cw18 30th Apr 09, 12:48 PM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 86,055 Thanks
    cw18
    I don't plan to avoid pork - in fact I'm hoping (from my personal side of things, but not for the farmers) that the demand drops, as the price should - in theory - drop if there's more supply than demand.

I didn't stop buying beef when we had the BSE scare, and I actually think that was more of a risk that the swine flu from pork is -- especially as the government/food agencies actually banned certain joints (bone in) back then, but have been saying pork is fine as long as it's cooked properly. Just a case of being extra careful about personal hygiene when handling it, and extra/quicker cleaning of the utensils/work areas I think......

Pork and chicken have always been the favoured meats of my younger DS - but a couple of days ago he went as far as to tell me he doesn't like beef at all (even though he did partially back down by saying mince meals are 'OK')

So if pork prices do drop, then I know what's going to be stuffed into every available nook and cranny in my freezers :rolleyes2
    Cheryl
  • so here we are
    Going well so far, i've had 1 NSD and a couple of low spending days and i went into McRubbish for my dinner and the thought of adding that to spend change my mind i ended up with crackers and cheese which i already had and i may even eat my banana before it gets up and walks off lol. Unfortunately i will have to buy some paint later which i am going to add to this budget its not grocery's but it might stop me spending on crap later in the month

Good luck to all.....
    1vs 100 50
    5500/335.25 (5.5K COMING DOWN)
    20.00/10,000(10K GOING UP)
    Not long now
  • miecherox
    i went into McRubbish for my dinner and the thought of adding that to spend change my mind
    Ha! (So here we are) I too had 5 in my purse on the way back from supermarket and job interview this morning - really wanted a burger and chips but resisted only because of the thought of "wasting" 5 on one meal! It's a joke really i'd walked round supermarket costing everything up for the week then for a split second would have spent a tenth of my weekly budget on rubbish.... And so we learn
    #118 DFW Debt freely Christmas 2012 Challenge
    • grandmasam
    • By grandmasam 30th Apr 09, 1:27 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 5,589 Thanks
    grandmasam
    hi everyone,

my first spend for may in lidl, 4 litres sk milkand bread flour, so starting off cost is 2.89

have sc on with ham and pea chunky soup,took off most of meat on hocks and frozen for a salad day.Will be able to pick the tops of the broad bean plants for veg at w/end and lots of beans to come
    done the inventory for pantry,freezer,as i need to run these down before i house sit 6 wks in deutchland for ds3 and his family.

good luck all!
    Saving for another hound
    from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 1211, SPC 8 1027 SPC 7 937.24, SPC 6 973.4 SPC 5 1949, SPC 4 904.67 SPC 4 980.27
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - just updated my spends for today - had to pop back to Asda as needed booze etc for this coming Bank Holiday for visiting friends and wanted to share this recipe with you :-

Russian Salad (my tweaked version)

Smoked Salmon (I used a bag of offcuts from Asda for 88p)
    1 red Onion - finely chopped
    6 cooked new potatoes (I used some from a bag from Aldi's currently 49p)
    2 cooked beetroots (I used 2 from a 4 pack from Asda 68p)
    3 hard boiled eggs
    Mayonnaise

Use a glass pyrex bowl as the layers look impressive through it. Finely snip the Salmon, mine was already fairly well chopped as it was from a pack of offcuts, lay that in the bottom of the dish. Next layer is the finely chopped red onion. Next layer take the cooked and cooled potatoes and grate those, then grate 2 of the eggs for the next layer and then grate the beetroot for the next layer then finally smooth over some mayonnaise and then grate the final egg over the top.

We all loved it and thought it would look good in the Summer with a Barbecue to impress everyone. This will cost me a lot less to make in the Summer as I'm growing Salad potatoes this year and also have some Beetroot growing from Seed in the Greenhouse.

Dinner tonight will be HM Macaroni cheese with the remaining salad potatoes from the above bag and a bowl of salad leaves.

Forgot who was asking about Coffee but Asda have large Kenco jars at 3 at the moment.

As for all the talk about Pork, we are having Roast Pork on Sunday, already purchased from the Butcher before this story hit the news, as I plan ahead and we always have a roast on a Sunday and alternate the weeks with Chicken, Pork, Beef & Lamb. The Pork is British and we're not worried about eating it.LOL.

Hope you all have a good day.

Forgot to say welcome back OrkneyStar & angelnikki - good to see you popping in again - also welcome to all the Newbies.
    Last edited by scotsaver; 30-04-2009 at 1:40 PM.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,437Users online

Martin's Twitter