Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 30th Apr 09, 1:35 PM
    • 39,132 Posts
    • 162,883 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 30th Apr 09, 1:35 PM
    • 30th Apr 09, 1:35 PM
    I agree. Though the fact that a lot of people are struggling a lot, makes those that aren't struggling cautious in their expenditure.
  • smu95rp
    • 1st May 09, 3:11 PM
    • 1st May 09, 3:11 PM
    "Throughout my career I’ve fought the fact that whenever any TV programme wants to cover “debt” they always go for a severe case. Actually that’s both not representative of most people with debts, and more importantly requires a completely different approach to deal with ... thus as a case study it doesn’t give most viewers decent take home information."

Absolutely and it's great to hear you say it too. Media reports tend to focus on such extreme cases that it is impossible to glean any useful advice from them.

Keep up the good work, Martin.
  • WelshGandalf
    • 7th May 09, 12:04 AM
    • 7th May 09, 12:04 AM
    Well said Martin! It does irk me somewhat, that the examples the media pull out are always extreme examples, used to put forward the belief of that particular media outlet. Once I was interviewed about student loans, and said "well, it's not so bad, it's enough to live on if you budget properly" - my interview did not get published but those of my 3 fellow students who had a dig at student loans all did get published! :rolleyes:

You can add to your list "prospective first time buyers who resisted the urge to jump in when the bubble was increasing and saved up for a deposit instead in the belief that prices would have to come down in the future"

Again the media only looks at those first time buyers bemoaning the "state of the mortgage market" and not the many of us who are happy to continue to wait as when we do get a house it'll be cheaper. When they stop falling in price, getting a mortgage will be easier and we'll have big deposits! It's a win-win situation but the media doesn't portray it like that!

/end rant
    • okay79
    • By okay79 8th May 09, 3:39 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    okay79
    • 8th May 09, 3:39 PM
    • 8th May 09, 3:39 PM
    Thanks Martin, I think it's brilliant that you're taking that approach. Polarising tends to close down critical thinking and stifle understanding, whereas looking at the whole picture with all of shades of grey does much more to make the conversation about debt inclusive, thoughtful and useful to all.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 8th May 09, 4:45 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 8th May 09, 4:45 PM
    • 8th May 09, 4:45 PM
    Just to say the feedback on this blog has inspired me to do a 'good news' column in the News of the world a week sunday
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,652Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin