Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • squidworth
    • 29th Apr 09, 8:21 AM
    • 29th Apr 09, 8:21 AM
    Lloydspharmacy Allergy Reliever and Ionising Air Purifier Bundle is 21.99 (+3.95 P&P) at the moment

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=90&catalogId=1008&productId=300005
    Last edited by squidworth; 29-04-2009 at 8:25 AM.
    • Neo08
    • By Neo08 29th Apr 09, 9:56 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Neo08
    • 29th Apr 09, 9:56 AM
    Free treatments
    • 29th Apr 09, 9:56 AM
    Our local Primary Care Trust (PCT) run a minor ailments scheme with the most of the pharmacies in our area. If you are except from prescription charges you can get hayfever product over the counter free of charge without the need for a doctors prescription.

Basically what happens is that the pharmacist will write the prescription, eliminating the need for a trip to the doctor. All we give the pharmacist is our NHS number (not National Insurance number) which your doctors surgery will usually give you over the phone, describe the symptons and then fill in a declaration to say your exempt from charges and he/she will prescribe the best thing. You can't go in an ask for a particular product, you must describe what's wrong with you.

Product that are available on our scheme are:

Loratidine packs of 7 and 30's & syrup
    Cetrizine packs of 7 and 30's
    Chlorphenamine packs of 28's & syrup

There is loads of other stuff available on the minor ailments scheme too, from stuff for verrucae's, acne and headlice to pain relief, teething and haemorrhoids!

Well worth checking out to see if your local PCT takes part in such a scheme
  • ThriftyLawyer
    • 29th Apr 09, 11:25 AM
    Reliability of chemistdirect.co.uk
    • 29th Apr 09, 11:25 AM
    Has anyone used chemistdirect.co.uk before? I have heard that online medicine sites can often be a front for identity theft, as well as useless/dangerous medicine.

Does anybody know about chemistdirect?

Thanks in advance!
    • Jennifer_Jane
    • By Jennifer_Jane 29th Apr 09, 12:01 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    Jennifer_Jane
    • 29th Apr 09, 12:01 PM
    • 29th Apr 09, 12:01 PM
    Our local Primary Care Trust (PCT) run a minor ailments scheme with the most of the pharmacies in our area. If you are except from prescription charges you can get hayfever product over the counter free of charge without the need for a doctors prescription.

Basically what happens is that the pharmacist will write the prescription, eliminating the need for a trip to the doctor. All we give the pharmacist is our NHS number (not National Insurance number) which your doctors surgery will usually give you over the phone, describe the symptons and then fill in a declaration to say your exempt from charges and he/she will prescribe the best thing. You can't go in an ask for a particular product, you must describe what's wrong with you.

Product that are available on our scheme are:

Loratidine packs of 7 and 30's & syrup
    Cetrizine packs of 7 and 30's
    Chlorphenamine packs of 28's & syrup

There is loads of other stuff available on the minor ailments scheme too, from stuff for verrucae's, acne and headlice to pain relief, teething and haemorrhoids!

Well worth checking out to see if your local PCT takes part in such a scheme
    Originally posted by Neo08
    Thanks so much for this info. Is there any way I can check my local area to see if we have a participating chemist locally, please?

Have googled Primary Care Trust, but it's not really meant for the public, I don't think.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Jen
    x
    • Neo08
    • By Neo08 29th Apr 09, 12:17 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Neo08
    • 29th Apr 09, 12:17 PM
    • 29th Apr 09, 12:17 PM
    Thanks so much for this info. Is there any way I can check my local area to see if we have a participating chemist locally, please?

Have googled Primary Care Trust, but it's not really meant for the public, I don't think.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Jen
    x
    Originally posted by Jennifer_Jane
    probably the easiest way is to either call your local pct (find it at http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/PrimaryCareTrustListing.aspx) or call your local pharmacy (although your pct may offer a minor ailments service, not all pharmacies in the area will). Ours is a Boots pharmacy that runs the service so it may be an idea to call one of them if you have one local.

According to the nhs website (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pharmacy/Pages/Commonconditions.aspx), it is up to the local pct as to whether they provide this service, so it may not be available everywhere.

HTH
    • Sazbo
    • By Sazbo 29th Apr 09, 12:41 PM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 14,628 Thanks
    Sazbo
    • 29th Apr 09, 12:41 PM
    • 29th Apr 09, 12:41 PM
    Has anyone used chemistdirect.co.uk before? I have heard that online medicine sites can often be a front for identity theft, as well as useless/dangerous medicine.

Does anybody know about chemistdirect?

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by ThriftyLawyer
    As it happens, there is a whole thread on this board dedicated to chemistdirect, see here. You can judge for yourself of course, but it seems that a lot of people have had bad experiences with them. Maybe they've sharpened there act up more recently, but I have to say I'd be wary of using them, even if on price their hayfever tablets are the cheapest. I tend to make purchasing decisions based on customer service as well as price... so I'll probably take my hayfever tablet business elsewhere for the time being, but that's just my opinion

Sazzy x
    Last edited by Sazbo; 29-04-2009 at 1:02 PM.
    4 May 2010
    • tiff
    • By tiff 29th Apr 09, 12:46 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 29th Apr 09, 12:46 PM
    • 29th Apr 09, 12:46 PM
    Well the nasal spray (beconase) is cheaper at Morrisons than with postage on Chemist Direct so I'll be going there.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
  • gaznkaz08
    • 29th Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    • 29th Apr 09, 7:23 PM
    all hayfever remedies mentioned on here aren't actually cures as stated on the site, they basically supress the symptoms

you need to try and push for a drug called Grazax (google it)

this actually contains grass pollen and after a few courses of a varied timeframe ( depending on the individual) it can build up an immunity to the pollens that cause hayfever and can eventually cure in many cases

i know as i make the stuff
  • zitamcd
    Hayfever Tablets
    Hi, Just used Chemist Direct. I ordered on Wednesday morning and the tablets arrived by recorded mail today (Thursday). I bought a six month supply and paid a grand total of 4.63. the P&P was 2.95 and the tablets 1.68. Can't fault the service and I used Rapport to make sure my Credit Card details were protected on the site. I usually have to pay between 3.95 and 5.95 per pack. Works for me.
  • jkmum
    Chemist Direct
    Used them last year - no problems to report. Just ordered again for this year's supply: went through Greasypalm for 3.75% cashback plus used code summer1 for 7.5% off.
  • jenni1979
    Chemist Direct 7.5% discount code
    you can get an additional 7.5% discount on Chemist direct using the code 'summer1' until 11 May 2009.
    • Jon B
    • By Jon B 6th May 09, 8:37 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    Jon B
    For those of you where nothing works at the moment but for Benadryl whose active ingredient is Acrivastine and thus there are no cheaper unbranded alternatives, this site are doing packs of 12 for 3.06, however I have never used them before.

As I am a new user I can't post links however the website was healthinajiffy.co.uk
  • kimmyd
    Hello, I used Chemist Direct last year and had no problems. However, I placed an order on 16th April and the order has not arrived. The money was debited from my card on the same day. I enquired a week later and received an e-mail apologising for the delay. However, still no goods received. Since then I have sent a further e-mail (no response) and tried to initiate an online chat with the company but all their advisers were 'busy'. I am therefore contacting the card company today to inform them that money has been taken from the card without delivering the goods. Beware! The website is still trading as of 7th May 2009 .........
  • fairweatherbiker
    Hayfever relief
    Lidl are selling both loratadine tablets and cetirizine hydrochloride hayfever relief tablets in packs of 7 tablets branded Galpharm - I paid for 49p per pack. Perhaps not as cheap as online but still great value
  • jessica.rabbit
    piriton
    Piriton 30s usually 2.54 in Asda however they currently have packs of 60 for 3
  • Burlesque Babe
    My hayfever tablets haven't been sent to me, although the sudafed I added onto the order have arrived today. I've emailed to ask where the hayfever tablets are so hopefully they will eventually come, otherwise i'll be very unhappy to have paid recorded delivery postage for 2 boxes of sudafed!

I was also interested in another product which was wrongly priced and it took nearly 15 minutes for someone to pop up onto the live chat, they weren't really interested and just said the higher price was correct, even though it was a lower price on other parts of the website.
    Last edited by Burlesque Babe; 07-05-2009 at 3:30 PM.
    "Stay Wonky"

Become Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012
    • Megalomaniac
    • By Megalomaniac 8th May 09, 8:07 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Megalomaniac
    Just wanted to point out that as chemist direct is cheap for most allergy pills, it also seems to be very cheap for Benadryl (acrivistine) which is the only one for me which really depresses many of the symptoms. A 24 pack is 6.04 and don't forget the 7.5% discount code already mentioned on this thread. The only down side is you can't buy more than one pack.

Oh and I can highly recommend Opticrom for those with itchy eyes which swell up when rubbed... it's a godsend. I haven't tried the generic version but I am sure that is just as good (I didn't know there was a generic version).

I haven't tried other allergy pills for several years now and as they are so cheap on chemist direct, have bought up the generic version of each of the medications in the hope that one will work for me now, as the Benadryl rapdily burns a hole in your pocket!!
  • KevtheRev'd
    I was getting worried with all the scare stories about slow service but am posting to say that in spite of adding an electrical item to reach the free P&P sum and ordering enough hayfever meds for the family for the year and great tubs of aqueous cream after a little delay due to them checking on an alternative colour for the electrical, the goods all arrived and are fine.
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 10th May 09, 6:45 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,877 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I just got some in Asda yesterday which are already helping (my hayfever is 24/7 in all environments, but worse in parks, etc). I took up the offer of 2 for 1 on the 7-day supply of Galpharm Non-Drowsy tablets.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter