Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • icecoolbabe
    • By icecoolbabe 5th Jan 05, 4:58 PM
    • 1,327Posts
    • 705Thanks
    icecoolbabe
    Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread
    • 5th Jan 05, 4:58 PM
    Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread 5th Jan 05 at 4:58 PM
    Has anyone been able to replicate the delicious Tiger bread that Asda make?

It's the ONLY bread I ever buy but I have not got the nerve to ask them for the recipe.

Page 1
  • filigree
    • 5th Jan 05, 5:44 PM
    Re: Question for home bread makers - Tiger bread
    • 5th Jan 05, 5:44 PM
    I Googled and all I could find was loads of other people asking for the recipe The nutty flavour comes from sesame oil and the mottled crust is due to a rice paste glaze, but I can't find a proper recipe. You can also buy it in Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose so given it's growing popularity I hope some keen cook makes the recipe public soon.
    • ioscorpio
    • By ioscorpio 7th Jan 06, 5:54 PM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    ioscorpio
    • 7th Jan 06, 5:54 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 5:54 PM
    I bought a loaf from Morrisons today it's on offer for 57p for a 800g loaf, I'd never seen or heard of it before, but thought I'd give it a try. Not sure on the taste though! I'll finish the loaf to see if it grows on me.
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 7th Jan 06, 6:27 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:27 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:27 PM
    Found it!

The bread mix is standard but the clever bit is the topping, I found one recipe for it, however it is commercial sized so you will need to proportion it down to size, this is to go with 5Kg of flour!

Rice Flour 1 1/2 Kg
    Water 1 1/2 Kg
    Sugar 90 grm
    Vegetable Oil 75 grm
    Salt 30grm
    Fresh Yeast 30grm (or 1 sachet Instant)

Mix all ingredients for the Tiger Skin together till smooth - set aside
    Make your usual white bread, mould or tin it, spread tiger mix evenly on top of dough, prove for about 55 minutes, bake at 200 deg for about 55 minutes or until cooked.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mr Proctalgia; 07-01-2006 at 6:53 PM.
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • GreenFingers
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:33 PM
    Tiger bread....meow....
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:33 PM
    Just found this recipe link....its just for the ingredients so not sure if it would be suitable for a bread maker....

http://share.geocities.com/Heartland/Lake/9478/tiger.html
    The 2 Coin Savers Club = 346.00 (300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
    • Swan
    • By Swan 7th Jan 06, 6:34 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:34 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:34 PM
    I was looking a recipe a couple of months ago & found this one HERE for the rice flour paste, it needs sesame though & scaling down!

oops, cross-posting Mr Proctalgia sorry, I'm a very slow typer
    Last edited by Swan; 07-01-2006 at 6:36 PM. Reason: cross posting
    • Swan
    • By Swan 7th Jan 06, 6:52 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:52 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 6:52 PM
    this is to go with 5Kg of flour!

Rice Flour 1 1/2 Kg
    Water 1 1/2 Kg
    Sugar 90 grm
    Vegetable Oil 75 grm
    Salt 30grm
    Fresh Yeast 30grm (or 1 sachet Instant)
    by Mr Proctalgia
    for hand-made bread I usually use 500g of flour, so ... if we divide that recipe by 10 it should work for 1 large loaf

Rice flour 150g
    Water 150g
    Sugar 9g
    Oil 7.5g
    Salt 3g
    Fresh yeast 3g ... or 1 1/2 dried???

sounds like it'll still make quite a lot & we still have to get the sesame in ... maybe sesame oil instead of veg oil would work?

I can't get rice flour till Monday :rolleyes: or I'd give it a go now
  • carol_a
    • 7th Jan 06, 8:31 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 8:31 PM
    I heard that it was something to do with them spraying the loaves with water towards the end of cooking to make the crust crack. I've never noticed a different taste to the crust and I've bought lots of tiger tails, paws etc from Asda and our local bakers.
  • carol_a
    • 7th Jan 06, 8:38 PM
    • 7th Jan 06, 8:38 PM
    Found this which uses arrowroot

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=150390
    • Swan
    • By Swan 7th Jan 06, 9:11 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    I've never noticed a different taste to the crust and I've bought lots of tiger tails, paws etc from Asda and our local bakers.
    by carol_a
    I've always thought the crust has a subtle sesame flavour, but I guess taste is a very subjective thing & we all perceive flavours differently

as regards the recipes, I think some experimentation is in order. either that or find someone who knows a baker & pick their brains/bribe them/indulge in a bit of industrial espionage
  • carol_a
    I will ask next time I'm in Asda, the people I see filling up the bread shelves always look pretty friendly.
  • carol_a
    Haven't seen anyone to ask yet but looked at the labels on the tiger bread and it said "contains seseme" so think you all must be right with the above concoctions! They also do "hedgehog" bread" but that's just got the crusts snipped with a knife or scissors to make the spines.
    • Swan
    • By Swan 10th Jan 06, 9:55 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    Haven't seen anyone to ask yet but looked at the labels on the tiger bread and it said "contains seseme" so think you all must be right with the above concoctions!
    by carol_a
    I wasn't imagining things then!

I got some rice flour yesterday, so will give it a try later in the week. I don't have access to a proper oven just now & have only just got my breadmaker & am still experimenting with it, so I'm not sure how reliable the result will be, but I'll keep you posted
  • carol_a
    Thank goodness the hedghog bread didn't say "contains hedghog"!!!
    • Swan
    • By Swan 10th Jan 06, 10:19 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    exactly what I was thinking
    • Swan
    • By Swan 12th Jan 06, 10:07 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    well, I tried it out yesterday, the result looked good, but was quite different from the Asda/Tesco version

I used the standard white bread recipe for my MR breadmaker & the loaf itself was very nice (cut down on the salt & the outrageous amount of sugar though)

I had to scale the Tiger topping quantities down even more (started with 50g rice flour & still had far too much) & found it was very runny, so less water next attempt

the topping cracked nicely to give a Tiger-ish appearance, but the top topping stayed white, although where it had run down the sides it was nicely browned. I think this is a recipe probably better suited to traditional bread baking rather than a bread maker, unless you have the Panasonic which seems to brown the top crust well

but saddest of all, the flavour was nothing like the shop ones, even though I used sesame oil in the mix it just didn't taste of anything. I think I'll have to take a trip to Asda & check out their ingredients list

I've found another slightly different recipe in THIS book, so I think I might try that next time, once I've worked out how to get more sesame in

anyone else want to give it a try?
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 12th Jan 06, 10:29 AM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    I tried it two days ago, but I oven bake my bread, it had the desired effect but wasn't the "same" if you get my drift. I need to look further into this; after all it is only a covering that has no gluten and so will crack as the bread proofs underneath it? I need to see whether or not "oven spring" will do it as well as my loaf was all cracks and no covering.

Ah well - Back to the drawing board!
    • Swan
    • By Swan 12th Jan 06, 10:51 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    it is only a covering that has no gluten and so will crack as the bread proofs underneath it?
    by Mr Proctalgia
    I was wondering about that too, what is the function of the yeast in the mix?

this recipe for a Mottled Glaze* sounds similar & has yeast in it too, so I guess it must do something :confused:

dissolve 1/2 teaspoon dried yeast & 1 teaspoon sugar in 2 fl oz warm water. leave to activate till surface is covered in bubbles. stir in 1oz cornflour & 1 teaspoon olive oil. stand till surface is covered in bubbles again. paint on loaves just before they go into the oven

*from Harold Bagust's Breadmaking At Home
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 18th Aug 06, 9:43 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I came across this post whilst looking for a tiger bread recipe for my dad. Can anyone tell me if they have had success with replicating the tiger bread and what ingredients were used please.

Regards
    Pipkin xxx
  • henhog
    Couldn't help but add to this thread. DS1 had to describe a healthy lunch box for a school project. As part of this he wrote "a cheese tiger's paw" (the name Asda give to their Tiger's Bread rolls) - the teacher put a big question mark next to it and wrote "Are you sure about this James? What do you mean!?"
    Obviously not an Asda shopper!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,129Posts Today

7,068Users online

Martin's Twitter