Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazyhazy
    • By crazyhazy 3rd Jan 05, 6:59 PM
    • 313Posts
    • 361Thanks
    crazyhazy
    Pork Belly?
    • 3rd Jan 05, 6:59 PM
    Pork Belly? 3rd Jan 05 at 6:59 PM
    Does anyone have any recipes for cooking pork belly. My aunt got some reduced to clear 60p for my mum, but she has no idea what to do with it. She's put it in the freezer so is now looking for inspiration!
Page 1
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 3rd Jan 05, 8:33 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 16,857 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 3rd Jan 05, 8:33 PM
    Re: Pork Belly?
    • 3rd Jan 05, 8:33 PM
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/showrecord?templatestyle=text&config=ingredien tname&page=1&pagesize=15&Id=155

I don't know if this link will work, or if we are allowed to post links (don't know much really do I? ???) but if it does, and if we are, there are some ideas here.
  • halloweenqueen
    • 3rd Jan 05, 11:02 PM
    • 3rd Jan 05, 11:02 PM
    The aromatic pork belly hotpot sound lovely - I often see it reduced but haven't bought it as I wasn't too clued up on what to do with it - wish I had some now!
  • Queenie
    • 5th Jan 05, 10:13 PM
    • 5th Jan 05, 10:13 PM
    Haven't checked the link yet, but what I do, is cut the belly into chunks, then quick brown in a pan - pop into a casserole dish, add tinned toms and sweetcorn, some stock and casserole until tender/cooked.

Scrummy!

Also, when time was short, I'd simply grill them (like a pork chop).
    • Pegleg2001
    • By Pegleg2001 11th Jan 05, 12:12 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Pegleg2001
    • 11th Jan 05, 12:12 AM
    • 11th Jan 05, 12:12 AM
    3tbs mustard
    1 small onion - chopped finely
    tsp of dried sage
    2 cloves garlic - chopped finely
    parsnips
    potatoes
    3 eating apples - halved
    3 Tps of Honey
    9 fl oz veg stock

Carefully Slice between fat and meat to make flap. Spread 1 tbsp mustard in between. Spread mixed up onion, garlic and sage on top of mustard. Season with salt and pepper.

Fold fat flap back on top (to make sandwich). Smear top of fat with oil and sea salt.

Chop parsnips , potatoes and layer in a cooking tray with apples. Pour on remaining mustard and honey over veggies. Pour in veg stock (or Cider if you want). Put prepared belly pork on top. Cook at 140c in fan oven for 2.5 or 3 hours. Turn veggiess half way through, moving the veg under meat to the outside to ensure thorough cooking.

Ready when meat juices run clear. Allow to rest for 10mins before carving. Detach fat and grill if you want crackling (and broken teeth!).

Just had last Sunday - delicious. Cheap as chips (well, belly pork) too and some come left for sandwiches today.

Pegster
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 11th Jan 05, 7:49 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    • 11th Jan 05, 7:49 AM
    • 11th Jan 05, 7:49 AM
    I bought some yesterday and made Boston Baked Beans.
    Cut pork into chunks, brown in a casserole dish, chop an onion, and add, add some garlic, worcestershire sauce, mustard, brown sugar, black treacle, bayleaves tom puree and salt and pepper. Then pour over some veg stock and stick it in the oven, serve with crusty bread.
    Sounds weird, but my lot love it!
    • tiff
    • By tiff 11th Jan 05, 3:01 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 11th Jan 05, 3:01 PM
    • 11th Jan 05, 3:01 PM
    I bought some yesterday and made Boston Baked Beans.
    Cut pork into chunks, brown in a casserole dish, chop an onion, and add, add some garlic, worcestershire sauce, mustard, brown sugar, black treacle, bayleaves tom puree and salt and pepper. !Then pour over some veg stock and stick it in the oven, serve with crusty bread.
    Sounds weird, but my lot love it!
    Is that Boston Baked Beans, without the beans?
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 11th Jan 05, 5:36 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 11th Jan 05, 5:36 PM
    • 11th Jan 05, 5:36 PM
    Theres a recipe for it in the latest edition of Olive magazine. Apparently it is also quite trendy at the moment!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 11th Jan 05, 10:57 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 49,551 Thanks
    maryb
    • 11th Jan 05, 10:57 PM
    • 11th Jan 05, 10:57 PM
    Pork belly makes lovely pate. Chop an onion fine and cook it in a knob of butter until golden but not brown. Then mix with about 1.5 pounds of pork belly meat choped small (but not too fine) mixed with a pot of chicken livers drained and blitzed in the food processor. Then I add a beaten egg and about 2 tbs breadcrumbs (or enough so that it's not too sloppy) and season with mixed herbs, garlic to taste and chopped parsley. A splash of brandy is nice.

The recipe says to line a deep casserole dish with strips of streaky bacon but I never have enough bacon to spare so I just spoon the mixture straight into the casserole, put the lid on and stand it in a roasting tin with boiling water poured in to come up to about halfway up the casserole. Then cook it in a medium oven 180 degrees/Gas 4 for about one and a half hours to one and three quarters.

when you take it out of the oven and take the lid off it will be swimming in grease but just put a bit of wood wrapped in foil on the top and stand something heavy like a couple of tins on it for an hour, then put the whole thing in the fridge until the juices have set to a nice jelly
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 12th Jan 05, 9:22 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    Silly me! I was posting so quick I forgot the beans!! I used three cans, kidney, haricot and butter, but you can use anything you've got! Hope that clears it up!
    • tiff
    • By tiff 12th Jan 05, 12:53 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Thanks Hilstep.

If any of you look through American recipes on the net, navy beans are haricot beans and garbanzo beans are chick peas, as I discovered recently lol
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 25th Jun 05, 7:18 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    how shall I cook my Belly
    I have a lovely piece of belly pork out of the freezer to cook tomorrow, but I would kike some suggestions as to how to cook it. Do i cook it long and slow of as a normal piece of roast pork.

Any simple ideas please as I have an ear infection and that nasty dizzy thing, where you feel as though you will fall off the floor, so i'm not up to much.
    Answers on a postcard please
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 25th Jun 05, 7:53 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    I cook belly pork either under the grill, in the oven (180 for about 20 minutes), or on a BBQ....

I usually marinde it, or failing that cover it in some sauce and then keep reapplying whilst it's cooking

Hope that helps

and I hope more importantly you are feeling better soon.

x x x
    • gravitytolls
    • By gravitytolls 25th Jun 05, 8:08 PM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 23,207 Thanks
    gravitytolls
    I strip it, cut off the thick rind, then marinade it in:

brown sugar/honey
    vinegar
    soy sauce/worcester
    apple or orange juice.

Also add some apple or other fruit if you fancy.

Then cook slowly in the oven for about 1.1/2 hours.

It's yummy is belly, full of flavour.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • margaret
    I have a lovely piece of belly pork out of the freezer to cook tomorrow, but I would kike some suggestions as to how to cook it. Do i cook it long and slow of as a normal piece of roast pork.

Any simple ideas please as I have an ear infection and that nasty dizzy thing, where you feel as though you will fall off the floor, so i'm not up to much.
    Answers on a postcard please
    by foreverskint

Oh dear! Is it Menières? Be careful not to put salt on it as salt invites vertigo and loss of balance.
    The way I do belly is to make a fried rice dish. I chop and fry onions until they are soft and add the belly cut up in about 1" pieces. I then add frozen peas and anything else one puts in their fried. I am very lucky in that I have low sodium soya sauce and I use a splash of that. It is very good and much better for you than low sodium salt which is bad for you.
    I hope you feel better as it's a vile condition.
    Margaret
  • Jay-Jay
    Hope you feel better soon and hope your belly tastes lovely.......ooohhh!!! you know what I mean
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 25th Jun 05, 10:24 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    found this web site whilst looking for more recipies. www.cookitsimply.com.

Now just off to find out what char sui sauce is:confused:
    Thaks everyone for your get well soon stuff. Actually have oh running around after me so perhaps I won't be too well till Monday. What do you think
  • margaret
    found this web site whilst looking for more recipies. www.cookitsimply.com.

Now just off to find out what char sui sauce is:confused:
    Thaks everyone for your get well soon stuff. Actually have oh running around after me so perhaps I won't be too well till Monday. What do you think
    by foreverskint

You've a while to go. I've had my husband ruinning after me for 5 years!!!!!!
  • Noozan
    by foreverskint
    Put the belly with fat side down and cut nearly through the meat into 3/4 inch wide "strips" (As if you were going to slice it up but don't cut through the fat) Dust with 5 spice. Rub in a 50/50 mix of hoi sin and yellow bean sauce; make sure you rub into all the bits in between where you've "sliced". Put it in a dish with the fat side facing up and leave uncovered for a few hours, this is to let the fat dry out a little. (I usually put it inside the microwave or oven to keep flies off it)

Preheat oven to gas mark very very hot. Put pork on trivet in roasting tray and roast until the fat is crisp and has bubbled up (About 40 to 50 mins ish). Remove and leave to rest for 10 mins. Turn upside down and slice through your "precuts" and then cut again so that you have little cubes of meat. Serve with a 50/50 mix of ketchup and english mustard as a dipping sauce.

Sounds long winded but it's not and it's deeeeeeeelicious!
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 26th Jun 05, 4:32 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    Thanks all for your lovely suggestions.
    In the end I was so ill today, I shoved it in the oven and roasted it as is, and Oh and DD had it with freshly made white bread. Apparenly very scrummy. I shall be trying out the other recipies with my next peice of belly. Definately a cut worth buying, for flavour alone.

To those that have sent their best wishes, thanks, just to let you know it probably is menieres, I had to go to the hospital this morning as it was so bad, and have to go back to the ENT dept soon, for more tests. Have some tablets now that seem to be controlling the symptoms a bit so I'm feeling much better now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,989Posts Today

6,382Users online

Martin's Twitter