Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yategirl
    • By Yategirl 2nd Jan 05, 10:54 PM
    • 841Posts
    • 3,335Thanks
    Yategirl
    Chicken soup - how do I make it (merged threads)
    • 2nd Jan 05, 10:54 PM
    Chicken soup - how do I make it (merged threads) 2nd Jan 05 at 10:54 PM
    Does anyone use the chicken carcass to make soup after roasting the chicken?

Can anyone tell me how I make soup from one? I'm sure I could use it to make soup for lunches and therefore be even more resourceful and economical!! ;D

Thanks!
Page 1
  • halloweenqueen
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:08 PM
    Re: using chicken carcasses for soup?
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:08 PM
    Would love to know this too! Have just posted on the soup thread for advice on stock making!
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:10 PM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:10 PM
    I use a pressure cooker for making stock from a roast chicken carcass. I just put all the skin and bones in the pressure cooker with whatever veg I've got about, onion, carrot, celery maybe a bay leaf or few peppercorns and about a pint and half of water which I bring to pressure for about 15 minutes. You could leave it up to half hour if you wanted to get all the glucogen out of the carcass.
    I then let it come down slowly and when the pressures down I strain off the liquid, dispose of the bones and wait until the stock's cold when you can take off the fat. Generally I put the stock in the freezer to use for soup later but I just use it instead of a stock cube or as part of the liquid in any soup recipe. If you weren't going to freeze it you'd put salt in the stock as well as the pepper.

If you haven't got a pressure cooker then use the same ingredients and simmer for at least an hour.
    • robnye
    • By robnye 2nd Jan 05, 11:48 PM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    robnye
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:48 PM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:48 PM
    i do the same but in a saucepan on the stove, with a lid on

break the carcass down, add a pint n half of water,

bring tot boil, leave to simmer for 20 mins.

strain liquid thru sieve into another pan, leave bones in sieve too cool down,

then pick bones over, pulling any useful bits of meat and add to stock or into another container,

you will be surprised how much meat is still on the carcass.

made 2 lots of stock from turkey carcass at christmas, made one into soup (added veggies) put other in the freezer

scrummy, with frech bread and grated cheese... mmmmmmm
  • mink35
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:53 PM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:53 PM
    I do similar (spookily enough done one today!) but boil the bones on their own without veg first. Pick off meat as suggested earlier then add (at least) couple of carrots, leek or onion, celery. Boil for a bit longer with pinch of salt and black pepper. I then liquidise (it will be quite thick if you picked the chicken off the bones).

Serve hot with fresh, crusty bread - home made if you can!

We having this tomorrow mmmmmmmm ;D
    • scrimperjan
    • By scrimperjan 2nd Jan 05, 11:59 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    scrimperjan
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:59 PM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 11:59 PM
    I do the same, it's scrummy, I enjoy it probably as much as the chicken dinner! I sometimes add a few caraway seeds to give it a different flavour.
  • halloweenqueen
    • 3rd Jan 05, 12:07 AM
    • 3rd Jan 05, 12:07 AM
    Thanks for these will have a go!
  • Queenie
    • 3rd Jan 05, 10:17 AM
    • 3rd Jan 05, 10:17 AM
    Oooh you can't beat the flavour of HM chicken stock!

Tip: always "crack" the bones before putting them in the pan - releases more flavour that way.

I'm another "veggies after stock made" person.

The stock itself can also be added to mashed potato instead of the drop of milk.
    Don't forget the humble chicken casserole either, using that luscious chicken stock you've made as a base. (Add two chicken protions, veggies, cook as a normal casserole; towards the end, strip the two chicken pieces of meat, return to casserole and the family won't even notice you've used 2 pieces of meat instead of the usual 1 each! )

If making a rice and chicken meal - use some of your chicken stock to cook the rice in.
  • amanda.stracey
    • 3rd Jan 05, 1:47 PM
    • 3rd Jan 05, 1:47 PM
    I started buying organic free range chicken which is very expensive so decided to roast chicken in large casserole pan with about 1-2 inches of water in the bottom and surrounded by root vegetables. Makes excellent gravy and a ready made stock to use for soup the next day.
  • halloweenqueen
    Thats a good idea!
  • halloweenqueen
    I've got a reduced turkey - courtesey of xmas eve sales so i'll remember that for when we have hime for dinner.
    • loopy_lass
    • By loopy_lass 3rd Jan 05, 6:45 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    loopy_lass
    i make one most weeks as we have a chicky loo at least every week...

i also tend to boil the stalks from cauli, brocolli ends off carrots etc with the bones. sieve it, pick the bones, boil it all up with chopped veg n sometimes i put suet dumplings in it ..... MMMmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmmmm

hth loops
    • elona
    • By elona 3rd Jan 05, 8:04 PM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    I usually bash the chicken carcass a few times with a rolling pin and then put it in the slow cooker overnight to make stock.
    • Yategirl
    • By Yategirl 3rd Jan 05, 8:12 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 3,335 Thanks
    Yategirl
    Oohh!! Thanks for all the suggestions - I will be having a go at making soup this week!!

Now just got get my toddler to *help* me make some bread and we'll be sorted ;D
    • sleepless saver
    • By sleepless saver 4th Jan 05, 1:06 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 2,428 Thanks
    sleepless saver
    I boil up the drumstick and thigh bones left over from the packs of free range chicken joints which I use a lot. Add a carrot, onion and a bay leaf. Yes I know people have eaten the meat off the bones but I reckon if they're boiled plenty it shouldn't be a problem. :

• franky
    I put the chicken carcass in slow cooker with water and veg overnight to make stock
    • kazd
    • By kazd 12th Mar 05, 5:39 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    kazd
    I always boil the bones up, pick off any meat, then add carrots, onions, potatoes (pretty much any root veg) bring to the boil and then simmer for a few hours, then add dumplings. However, I usually do this with a couple of litres of water, usually there is enough left over to have over chips the next day. Real Northern stodgy grub. I love it.
  • Noozan
    I usually roast the bones for 15 mins in a very hot oven first as I find this intensifies the flavour. Put in pan with carrot, onion, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley stalks. Simmer gently for 2 hours. Strain off stock and pick out bits of meat. Add meat back to stock.

To make a clear soup, I just throw in whatever veg is I have along with a handful of barley, lentils or rice.

To make cream of chicken soup, I melt a knob of butter, add equal amount of plain flour. Cook until sandy coloured. Add milk to make a thick roux sauce. Then gradually add enough of the chicken stock to get the consistency of soup that I like. This is the tastiest chicken soup ever
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • toozie
    • By toozie 12th Mar 05, 6:07 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    I'm another slow cooker fan.
    Usually bash bones, bung in slow cooker with herbs and an onion chopped, leave over night on low.

Next morning drain stock, leave to cool, that night skim off any fat. Bung back in slow cooker with all my left over veggies, and sometimes lentils, or some other pulses.

Next day usually liquidise, its quite thick, and serve that night with warm bread from bread maker, does lunch the next day too.....yummy
  • Queenie
    The chicken stock makes a great risotto too
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,839Posts Today

4,120Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin