Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Feb 09, 12:12 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Feb 09, 12:12 PM
    25th Feb 09 at 12:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the February 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-02-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Page 22
  • GreenandThrifty
    Hi everyone!

I've been making home made health/snack bars from oats,nuts&seeds&dried fruit for lunches if anyone would like the recipe let me know cost me 2.20 for the week&most ingrediants left for the next few weeks. They're gorgeous!
    Originally posted by LittleGemSaver
    yes please Little Gem Saver!!!!! always looking for cheap / healthy afterschool treats for the kids!!

G&T
    Food budget: Nov 80 / 2.33 /0.00/0.00/00.00(.)
    Splurges (if I list them here I might remember I've already treated myself!!(.)
    NSD 2/3
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 9th Mar 09, 11:29 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear
    wow...i love that dinosaur cake...very clever

id love the recipe for bars please....on the dinosaur theme party l@keland have got a very cute looking dino cutter in their latest catalogue it is only abput 2 and cuts 2 dinos from every slice of bread

i have had a cheap day so far...reduced pie from the coop...1 id struggle to make it for that and a stew pack for 70p....i made hm soup from the chicken carcass...nearly a free lunch

i have just eaten the last bit of flapjack i made at the weekend...one of my new years resolutions was to give oh and ds hm cakes with there packed lunches....i havent done too bad but need to make more

on dino party theme home b@rgains does very cheap party stuff so might be worth a look

tata
    tess
    cutter from lakeland
    onwards and upwards
    • Miss Liquorice
    • By Miss Liquorice 9th Mar 09, 11:50 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    Miss Liquorice
    4 spent in Morrisons yesterday on 4 cans of Relentless on offer (my favourite of the energy drinks) for my driving test this morning, and some fabric conditioner that will last me several months. I also spent 5.42 on lunch in the Tesco cafe yesterday (didn't have the option of a packed lunch yesterday). This brings my GC spends this month to 41.01 - 63.99 left to spend. It's going to be a bit tight this month as I didn't realise the amount I'd be spending on energy drinks and eating out this week.

It was all worth it anyway, I passed my test. XD
  • elizabunny
    Hello everyone Just a quickie today because things are a little hectic. It WILL be a spend day today .............oohh, as have to get a few extra's in for DS2 coming home and have a few things I have run out of like chopped tomatoes and olive oil. Hoping to keep it low.
    Just popped a few more veggie seeds out in the GH.....things are really beginning to grow well.
    Feeling slightly under the weather today, so no cooking, therefore, I have just taken a pasta bake out of the freezer for DH and me tonight. Feeling pleased that I have enough reserves to do this when I just can't be bothered
    Have a nice day eveyone!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 9th Mar 09, 11:58 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear

Originally posted by Miss Liquorice
    congratulations

tess
    onwards and upwards
    • mumofjusttwo
    • By mumofjusttwo 9th Mar 09, 12:00 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 40,789 Thanks
    mumofjusttwo
    congratulations Miss Liquorice. Thought you weren't going to tell us then.

Well have spent 9 on petrol and 1.49 on bread :rolleyes:
    January Grocery 11/374
    • Miss Liquorice
    • By Miss Liquorice 9th Mar 09, 12:12 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    Miss Liquorice
    Thanks tessie bear and mumofjusttwo. Even though I've said all week I'll pass, I don't know if it's sunk in yet, hehe. Now I get to spend all the money I've saved on a car, insurance, tax, petrol... eek!
    • leed
    • By leed 9th Mar 09, 12:22 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    leed
    I've been making home made health/snack bars from oats,nuts&seeds&dried fruit for lunches if anyone would like the recipe let me know cost me 2.20 for the week&most ingrediants left for the next few weeks. They're gorgeous! [/quote]

Yes please! can I also have the recipe?

• belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 9th Mar 09, 1:03 PM
    • 7,750 Posts
    • 15,597 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Well I'm having a bad feeling about my grocery challenge for the month. I couldn't resist the lure of a tesco voucher for 13 off if you spend 90. Or so I thought, in fact this was for wine and tesco direct but they honoured it because the online checkout accepted it at the time I put the order in. Anyway I'd had no intention of doing a big tesco shop this month because the cupboards were bursting. But the fact that I had the voucher and people visiting and no fruit and veg in the house and was mad busy at work all combined to make the online shop attractive. I now have enough cleaning stuff to clean the neighbourhood!!

So anyway this all leaves me 130 in towards a target of 140. I might need to revise upwards to 160 as my new target, still thinking about this. Either way, with 3 weekends to go the 140 is a dead duck.

I will need to have a superfrugal April to keep me on track for my yearly target!

• LittleGemSaver
    Hiya everyone!

Here is the health/nutrition bar recipe-

Ingredients
    1kg Asda smartprice porridge oats 58p (2/3 left over)
    Asda wholefood small seed mix 50p (found on end of fruit/veg aisle & you need this for each batch you make/week)
    Asda smartprice dried fruit (raisins,sultanas,citrus peel) 65p (2/3 left over)
    Asda smartprice fruit & nut 65p
    Asda smartprice peanut butter 65p
    Asda smartprice honey 85p (1/3 left over)

1- mix 1/3 of porridge oats/dried fruit with full bag of fruit & nut & full bag of seed mix in a very large bowl

2- microwave the jar of peanut butter with the lid off until runny on full power.

3- pour the peanut butter into your bowl stirring round furiously & add 2/3 jar of honey while stirring making sure all dried mix is all sticking together.

4- spead out onto a large, deep greased baking tray (about an inch deep will do)

5- level out with a masher/spoon, stick in fridge to harden for a few hours & cut into bite size pieces when ready.

Please note; you can change the ingrediants to different nuts, seeds, dried fruit & substitute the peanut butter for more honey if you don't like peanut butter or have nut allergies.

Hope you like it & to be honest, the key is to make sure your mix isn't dry so you can put choc chips in if you want etc as long as you have enough dry mix to honey/peanut butter. Plus it's all roughly done & you can add more or less ingredients as you feel suits
    Last edited by LittleGemSaver; 09-03-2009 at 2:48 PM. Reason: Typo
    GC march 80 budget/1.67 left
    GC April 80 budget/54.50 left

was 10st 4lb 20th march 2009 now 9st 12lb
    Owner of 4 Michael Jackson tickets for 1st feb 2010!
    • xx_Jo_xx
    • By xx_Jo_xx 9th Mar 09, 1:28 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 62,609 Thanks
    xx_Jo_xx
    Hi to All,

I have a question...... This weekend I personally didnt spend anything on food/shopping etc.

My BF came over with a load of shopping and some treats for us as he was staying here the weekend, and we werent going out. Then he went to Sainsbury to get some bits for his own flat at which point, I added Washing powder and fabric softner for me!! which he paid for!

So I need to include these figures in my totals as technicallly, I would have had to buy some of the things, i.e. Milk, washing powder etc. Or is it just a bonus that he bought it for me!?
    Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW August 2013... Debt total 15,475.56 - Jan 15 11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC 48.02/250 (201.98)
    I will declutter my house and debts
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 9th Mar 09, 2:36 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    Originally posted by Miss Liquorice
    Well done, that's great!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 9th Mar 09, 2:40 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    Hi to All,

I have a question...... This weekend I personally didnt spend anything on food/shopping etc.

So I need to include these figures in my totals as technicallly, I would have had to buy some of the things, i.e. Milk, washing powder etc. Or is it just a bonus that he bought it for me!?
    Originally posted by xx_Jo_xx
    I wouldnt include it - technically its a present! Heh, Heh! Look on it as a wee bonus!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • xx_Jo_xx
    • By xx_Jo_xx 9th Mar 09, 2:47 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 62,609 Thanks
    xx_Jo_xx
    I wouldnt include it - technically its a present! Heh, Heh! Look on it as a wee bonus!
    Originally posted by jintyb
    Woo Hoo!!
    Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW August 2013... Debt total 15,475.56 - Jan 15 11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC 48.02/250 (201.98)
    I will declutter my house and debts
  • GC81
    Will the GC be moved????
    I wondered with the new forum open if the Grocery Challenge will be moved?

I think, for me, that it covers two areas, one of keeping on budget being a "sassy shopper" and the other doing my best to get back into a "old style" way of meals.

What do others think?
  • LittleGemSaver
    I wondered with the new forum open if the Grocery Challenge will be moved?

I think, for me, that it covers two areas, one of keeping on budget being a "sassy shopper" and the other doing my best to get back into a "old style" way of meals.

What do others think?
    Originally posted by GC81
    I really like the old style way of meals personally - good wholesome, homemade food using up all the left overs so nothing goes to waste is great! Also making things from scratch rather than ready made processed meals for me, is a definate must!
    I enjoy reading how people use up things from yesterdays tea & make a fab new dish with the leftovers for a family!
    GC march 80 budget/1.67 left
    GC April 80 budget/54.50 left

was 10st 4lb 20th march 2009 now 9st 12lb
    Owner of 4 Michael Jackson tickets for 1st feb 2010!
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 9th Mar 09, 3:48 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Miss_Liquorice-Well done!
    xx_Jo_xx yes they were presents!
    We can all go to far at times on counting things!
    Another NSD day for me today.
    Stayed in apart from going to the gym just now and thats paid for already!
    Just have to delve into the freezer now or it will be jelly for tea!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 9th Mar 09, 5:00 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,317 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Congratulations, Miss Liquorice, thanks for sharing your good news. Next part's the costly part - the actual car and running costs, hope you've saved enough to cover everything.

I'm not a fan of the term 'Old Style' as I didn't ever know there was any other way, apart from modern convenience. I prefer the word 'traditional' to 'old'. But I also think I'm quite a sassy shopper, though I say so myself.

Boiling some pasta to mix with leftover bolognese sauce, which is in a bowl heating over the pasta in the steamer - seemed a shame to waste such warming energy.

I'm running a bit over average after including 2 Approved Food orders. The freezer, larder, cupboards and pantry are all full, which means I really only need fresh produce like milk and fruit for the rest of this month. I'm sure having the new Ald! store within 5 miles of me will help big time as it makes it my closest shop, never mind supermarket!
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • cw18
    • By cw18 9th Mar 09, 5:25 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,988 Thanks
    cw18
    Well -- my meal plan (and possibly March budget) is out of the window after Thursday !!! So I've won't have managed to make it to the end of the third of six weeks on a plan that has been working really well

Why? Elder DS rang this afternoon to say his Easter Leave (from the Army) starts on Thursday night -- so he's driving home from Germany on Friday (which is also his birthday). And he's not due back until 20th --- of April !!!! He wasn't expecting to finish until 27th March or 3rd April, so this has come as a total bolt out of the blue - but at least he's called to let me know as soon as he found out, meaning the grief I gave him about lack of notice for his last leave (and what I had being second-hand via his sister) must have sunk in

So I've an extra mouth to feed for five weeks, and a lot of meals in the next 3 weeks were using up 'the last 2 portions' from the freezer - so I'm going to have to hope the freezer space can cope with me cooking up another batch of 4 portions (which I'll have to stretch to 5, so I can use 3 and freeze 2). The rest of the meals were using up the last of things like beef grillsteaks or chicken kievs -- neither of which I want to have to go and buy another packet of, as that will leave me with odd numbers until he's home for his next period of leave :confused: (Can't do them twice while he's home, as younger DS will complain about having too many meals repeated in such a short space of time - and so will I :rolleyes2 )
    Cheryl
  • fatcattaff
    Just updated my signature and I'm panicking. I've spent 145.25 so far and it's only 9th March! My husband says not to worry...we'll get by with what's in the house for a week or three, we'll just need bread and suchlike, but he's a man....Anyway...today's shop at Mr S came in at 35.85. DH reminded me that I used to think nothing of an 80 or 90 shop, so things have improved, but I would love to get things down cheaper. I must start looking at my receipts.

Anyway....major purchases this week included cheese (as always) I stick to basics, but it's still pricey. I bought Rice Krispies (do they still have them in Poundland? Might pop in and take a look tomorrow). I spent 40p on whoopsied chestunt mushies; got 2 x 2ltrs of milk for 2 (the same deal as Farm Foods...now they just need to drop the Kingsmill from 2 for 2 to 1.50 for 2 and I don't have to trek across town any more). And the cucumbers were 30p off, making them less than a pound each...still exhorbitant in my book, but it's the staple of dd's diet.

I also bought 2 jars of mayo (whilst it's on offer) 2 lots of fresh pasta which we don't need for a while (again, on offer at 1 a pack) and mini nans (buy one pack, get one free).

I'm off to Home Bargains/cheap shopping tomorrow for tomatoes, beans, etc and might pop in at Aldi too for grapes (I love their red grapes for 69p).

Bit of belt tightening due to kick in from now. I'll keep my thread updated.
    Drop half a stone for January challenge.
    Grocery Challenge March 320/
    Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. (Thank you Mr Roosevelt)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,111Posts Today

8,886Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin