Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 8th Apr 06, 1:51 PM
    • 38,167 Posts
    • 160,464 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 8th Apr 06, 1:51 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 1:51 PM
    I think a clean and a polish are in order.

Hopefully your new property will be cleaned before you move in.
    • CCStar
    • By CCStar 8th Apr 06, 1:56 PM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 15,552 Thanks
    CCStar
    • 8th Apr 06, 1:56 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 1:56 PM
    The majority of my properties have been cleaned before we moved in.

It was disgusting moving into the property that hadn't been cleaned and had to make the removers wait until I had at least made it reasonable to put my stuff into.

It is good manners to leave a clean home for someone, and the person in the new property do the same.

Moving is stressful enough then having to clean someone else's dirt - GROSS!
    An average day in my life
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 8th Apr 06, 2:03 PM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:03 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:03 PM
    Id give it a thorough once over, but not go to any "extremes" unless stipulated in the contract. Extremes meaning paying a contract cleaner. If you dont do it AT ALL , then chances are your LL will withhold some of your deposit for it, and theyd be right to do so if you havent left it in a "reasonable" state.
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • fannyadams
    • By fannyadams 8th Apr 06, 2:32 PM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 2,472 Thanks
    fannyadams
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:32 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:32 PM
    I recently helped my girlfirend move out of her old flat and into a new flat.
    We spent two days cleaning her old flat until it shone (man was i tired, I didn't know you should clean so many places), and felt realloy great that the new people could just move their stuff in and get on with their lives.
    Imagine our HORROR when we arrived at the new flat and the slutty good for nothing honking lazy !!! (well you get the picture) who'd had the flat before hadn't bothered to clean ANYTHING! and I mean anything - I will let your imaginations run roit here as my girlfirend had PAID (as in mortgaged up to the hilt) for this new flat and the one we just left is rental.
    It took us 5 days to clean the place - including hiring the steam cleaner for some of the really gross bits.
    She rang her solicitor in tears on the day she took posession - he said there's nothing she can do about it. But we just took photos of everything and wrote a nice letter to the estate agents with the pics and cleaning bill in and we'll wait and see.
    NO YOU SHOULD CLEAN THE PLACE! After all what is more depressing than moving into an unclean place?
    EEEEw
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 8th Apr 06, 2:39 PM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    lush walrus
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:39 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:39 PM
    I would never move without cleaning first, and Im pretty sure that most people do too and to be honest Ive moved 5 times so far after buying new property and always found the new property cleaned too. Of course everyone then cleans again just to make sure, but I cant imagine anything worse than moving all of my boxes into a house that has dirt all over it.

Personally, I clean and clean and clean when I am about to move and make sure that everything is disinfected and smells so.

It's a matter of pride. As you can see from the post made above by fannyadams, people do not think highly of unclean property.
    Last edited by lush walrus; 08-04-2006 at 2:41 PM.
  • Jorgan
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:50 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:50 PM
    I'm with everyone else on this, clean the house, its a matter of pride. Just because your seller may not clean the property before leaving doesn't make it right.
    • blue_haddock
    • By blue_haddock 8th Apr 06, 2:53 PM
    • 11,764 Posts
    • 18,429 Thanks
    blue_haddock
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:53 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:53 PM
    I must admit i don't tidy my home as much as i should do but when i sold my last home i did give it a thorough (well thorough for me!) clean from top to bottom.
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 8th Apr 06, 2:57 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 7,289 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:57 PM
    • 8th Apr 06, 2:57 PM
    EEEEEEeeeeuw!!!

Of course you clean!!!

I've always cleaned straight after removals men have left - you can see how much dirt is left then -all the bits hiding under beds and fridges etc.

One time I even splashed a new coat of paint on the kitshen as well ,as there were tidemarks where the old stuff had been from cooking etc, but that's a bit excessive - lol

Can you imagine walking into new place with all your boxes and furniture and the place is a dump - not to mention all their old skin and dustmites everywhere - ick!!!
    • Wickedkitten
    • By Wickedkitten 8th Apr 06, 3:06 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 2,135 Thanks
    Wickedkitten
    I'd clean anyway, mind even when I do move into a place I clean even if it has been cleaned already.
    • loopylass
    • By loopylass 8th Apr 06, 3:12 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    loopylass
    I agree with the others i would clean your house

I would never leave a place dirty if i was hiring a hall,caravan,moving etc i always clean it before i leave

I would never leave it dirty because why should others clean up my mess

When i moved i cleaned everywhere i left nets because they wouldnt fit my new windows and 2 brand new carpets because they wouldnt fit into my new house
    • cattie
    • By cattie 8th Apr 06, 3:16 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 5,321 Thanks
    cattie
    EEEEEEeeeeuw!!!

Of course you clean!!!

I've always cleaned straight after removals men have left - you can see how much dirt is left then -all the bits hiding under beds and fridges etc.

One time I even splashed a new coat of paint on the kitshen as well ,as there were tidemarks where the old stuff had been from cooking etc, but that's a bit excessive - lol

Can you imagine walking into new place with all your boxes and furniture and the place is a dump - not to mention all their old skin and dustmites everywhere - ick!!!
    by elisebutt65
    Hey, you sound just like me! I do all of the things you do when moving.

I pride myself on leaving my old home in pristine condition, & have been known to paint or wallpaper walls that have previously been hidden by large pieces of furniture such as wardrobes.

So far I've been lucky & moved into houses that have been left very clean & one of my worst nightmares would be to buy a house & find the vendors had left it dirty to welcome me.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • Ian W
    • By Ian W 8th Apr 06, 3:23 PM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    Ian W
    Yep, like everyone else ... CLEAN. Why should someone else have to clean up your sh1te?

The wife does every time we move house ....

[Exits stage right donning tin hat and seeking cover in nuclear shelter ....]
  • jenniferpa
    My last contract said it needed to be clean, rubbish removed etc. I would think that was the case normally. I don't think you need to go overboard, but yes, the buyers should be able to walk in and put down their furniture without picking up other people dust bunnies.

Jennifer
    • reverie
    • By reverie 8th Apr 06, 3:42 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    reverie
    I think it's polite to leave a house as you would expect to find it, a matter of pride too! Definately give it the once over. Plus if you are selling/buying you always have time while waiting for the long awaited completion phone call to come.
    • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    • By BACKFRMTHEEDGE 8th Apr 06, 5:48 PM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    I would hate to be buying of you :rolleyes: I would defo clean.
    • MortgageMamma
    • By MortgageMamma 8th Apr 06, 5:49 PM
    • 6,211 Posts
    • 3,065 Thanks
    MortgageMamma
    I hope you've invested in some marigolds. My advice to you (and it IS advice as I've moved 22 times in 15 years) is to do as much cleaning as humanly possible before you leave, then go back to the house and vacuum everywhere, and give it another light clean before you go. Its a nice thing to do as if your like me and an emotional creature it gives you time to say goodbye to your house properly and enjoy some memories while you do it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 8th Apr 06, 6:02 PM
    • 20,451 Posts
    • 34,039 Thanks
    Spendless
    Remember you may have to rely on the next owner/tenant passing on stuff/messages etc you may have forgotten. Lot nicer if its left clean for them rather than them thinking I'm not going out of my way to pass on x after the disgusting way the left this place in/
  • linda.b
    I can't imagine anyone having to ask this question! Of course you should clean the house. As we were moving, I was following with the hoover and cleaning cloths. When we moved to our new home, it still needed cleaning as it had been empty for months, but I didn't feel angry that I'd spent time cleaning the house we left. It's good manners and the people who moved in forwarded mail, which I'm sure they wouldnt have done if we had left the place a pigsty. If you clean your house regularly it won't take long anyway!
    • amazon_spice
    • By amazon_spice 8th Apr 06, 7:36 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    amazon_spice
    I would clean - in the hope that someone would do it at the one I was going to move into [pain though!]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

5,181Users online

Martin's Twitter