Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    rosieben
    February 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jan 09, 12:15 PM
    February 2009 Grocery Challenge 28th Jan 09 at 12:15 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the February 2009 Grocery Challenge.

Pink isn't around at the moment, so I've ok'd with Penelope Penguin to start off the new thread. We start with Pink's usual opening posts.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the January Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone

Rosieben xx
    Last edited by rosieben; 28-01-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Page 72
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 26th Feb 09, 5:00 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi....im done with feb now and started march...we had the other half of a big chilli made yesterday....tasted better today...oh made lovely garlic bread with a 10p reduced french stick from asda....we didnt have pudding much to the kids disgust...they are being dragged up....slightly off topic but if u go into st@rbucks and ask for a free coffee card they give u a little black wallet that entitles u to a free filter coffee after 2pm until april....not sure of exact date....i drank one today and it was ok...bit strong but hey...its free..

i tried the magic st@r drops on my patio windows today and it did a good job...all little finger marks gone for a bit...they will be back...

have a nice evening

tess
    onwards and upwards
  • JayJay14
    Mrs M please can you put me down for 130 for March.

I will be declaring my February spend on Saturday - We usually have a celebratory Chinese take away if we come in under budget but as we have already had Domino's pizza last night at DD's we might give it a miss this month and save the money

I have had this week off work and was hopingto get chance to do a bit of batch cooking but as always happens when I plan that sort of thing someone up there rearranges my plans - still there is a couple of days left

Hope everyone is doing well and I'm looking forward to a shiny new month.
    I decided to additional shopping in Asda Wednesday to stock up my rice on offer. I bought another 3kg of rice. Now I have about 9kg of rice .

I also bought 2.5kg of potatoes, 1.5kg of Brussels sprouts and a loaf ob bread, all reduced at 10p. I am now storing my potatoes in a cardboard box. I suppose I need to DIY a better container???

It is going to be NSD tomorrow and that is the end of the month. I spent 64.12 of cash. I need to do a stock check on frozen food to determine the exact amount spent.
    • xx_Jo_xx
    • By xx_Jo_xx 26th Feb 09, 5:37 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 62,609 Thanks
    xx_Jo_xx
    Can I join in please?? I need to cut this bill. I didnt think what i was spending was a lot - but reading what some of you are spending on groceries, I am clearly doing a LOT wrong.

March will be the first month for me (if we do calendar months) or if it starts from payday - then thats today??

There is only me and my 7 year old and I spend approx..... (deep breath)..... 80 - 90 per week. What am i buying.................!!!!!!!

Please let me join and help me get a grip - and can someone tell me what date i should be going by.....

Thanks xxx
    Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW August 2013... Debt total 15,475.56 - Jan 15 11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC 48.02/250 (201.98)
    I will declutter my house and debts
  • starflower
    Cant remember if I actually declared yet so here it is: declaring 279.51 for February. I have decide to keep my March budget at 275. went slightly over this month and with March being such a long month I'm not going to reduce it as I don't think it would be realistic. However, really going to try and stay within budget this month.

Our budget is for 2 adults and three kids (8,5,3) and includes all food, cleaning/laundry stuff and toiletries.

September Grocery Challenge 181.51/270.00
    August Grocery Challenge 298.60/270.00
  • JayJay14
    Can I join in please?? I need to cut this bill. I didnt think what i was spending was a lot - but reading what some of you are spending on groceries, I am clearly doing a LOT wrong.

March will be the first month for me (if we do calendar months) or if it starts from payday - then thats today??

There is only me and my 7 year old and I spend approx..... (deep breath)..... 80 - 90 per week. What am i buying.................!!!!!!!

Please let me join and help me get a grip - and can someone tell me what date i should be going by.....

Thanks xxx
    Originally posted by xx_Jo_xx
    The simple answer is you go by whichever date is easier for you.

I use Calander months as OH and I get paid on different dates. Many of the gang use their own pay days, there are no hard and fast rules. Just choose your challenge amount and post in red like this so Mrs M can see it easily.

There will be a new thread at the weekend - it usually starts on 28th of each month then this one will drop and the new one will be the sticky.

You'll be fine - just remember that some poeple just do food with their amount while others include toiletries and pet food. So comparisons are not always straightforward. Don't try to cut too much all at once a gradual reduction worked better for me.
    Last edited by JayJay14; 26-02-2009 at 5:50 PM.
    • xx_Jo_xx
    • By xx_Jo_xx 26th Feb 09, 6:04 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 62,609 Thanks
    xx_Jo_xx
    Thats great JayJay - thank you. I will probably go with my pay day and work it out for the month.

I dont have any pets so dont have that excuse....just everything else for me and the little one. Food, cleaning, etc.

Ok here goes......

Can I be in for March please - 300....

Lets see how accurate my guess is......guess we will see at the end of March!!
    Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW August 2013... Debt total 15,475.56 - Jan 15 11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC 48.02/250 (201.98)
    I will declutter my house and debts
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 26th Feb 09, 6:25 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    I'm gonna declare my feb amount on saturday, then i'm not open to any woopseys!!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 1 MAY GC /300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
  • jackiegibbo
    DECLARING AT 195.04 FOR FEBRUARY
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 26th Feb 09, 6:42 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 10,929 Thanks
    JayneC
    Went to the Tesco Express near work today and found taht Freshnlo milk is still 1.06. Said online that this ended on Tues so I was well relieved !!! Bought 2 bottles just incase, lol. Also managed to get a reduced Warburtons whlemeal for 65p and crumpets reduced to 55p.
    Got some bananas and apples from the veg cart in town to so 5.30 in total today.
    Will need meat at weekend cos absolutely none left now, it's gonna be a 'bits n bobs' tea tomorrow-maybe baked spuds but not got any beans so that may not go down too well. We'll see....

Jayne xx
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • rosieben
    Hi there,

Ian here from HowTo.co.uk. I noticed that the link to "How to Feed Your Whole Family a Healthy Balanced Diet" that is posted at the start of the thread is inactive. We've since moved this book to a new home, http://www.howto.co.uk/wellbeing/quick-healthy-recipes/. I've alerted Rosieben of this change.
    Originally posted by IanHowTo.co.uk
    Ian, thanks for letting me know, I've updated the link now

Edited to say - I just had a quick look at that howto website and they have another book How to grow your own food which might be worth a look not downloadable but you could copy and paste the bits you want.
    Last edited by rosieben; 26-02-2009 at 7:13 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • carolt2
    • By carolt2 26th Feb 09, 7:24 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 14,784 Thanks
    carolt2
    Evening everyone, just caught up with thread.

Would like to declare at 144.08 for this challenge

Can I be put down for 150 again for march,

Thanks
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
    • reb
    • By reb 26th Feb 09, 7:34 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    reb
    31 days in March so please can you put me down for 230. As I have gone over this month I am going 10 less than I would normally.

I'm not ready to declare for February just yet. But heyhoo I have loads on the shelves.

One of my problems is I have started to take an old friend shopping on Thursday mornings and I tend to be buying things I don't 100% need at that precise time, but they are long lasters and are in the store. I love my store, I always have stuff for emergencies and unexpected times.

:confused: Must try harder! :confused: Must try harder! :confused:
    I don't get to come on here too often.
    Too buzy money saving!
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 26th Feb 09, 7:41 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Evening all, foung my missing recipt. Ended up 25.87 over budget so not as bad as thought. Can you put me down for 150 for march please mrsM. My month will run from the 1st of march till 31st for me, OH and ds.
    Debt 1 1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
  • brownbake
    Knorr Stockpot - 86p Co - Op
    Saw this deal in Co op for Knorr Stock pot pack of 4 for 86p - normal price 1.30

They are like concentrated jelly stock. I know there is cheaper ways of making stocks but for pure convienience I thought it was worth a try.

Made a delicious onion soup out of it that was delicious, cheap, easy and healthy.

Recipe for a litre of Onion soup.

Ingredients - a load of onions = cheap
    2 Knorr stock pots = 43p - we used the Beef stockpot.
    Butter - enough for frying - Anchor butter is on offer at Lidl for 76p at moment.
    water = cheap!!
    Salt and pepper for seasoning

Method

Chop onions roughly - we chopped and sliced for a bit of variation. Apparently swimming goggles are the best if this gets you!!

Melt butter in a large pan / casserole and slowly sweat onions until soft. Meanwhile boil kettle and make up the stock mix - this makes 1 litre.

Pour over onions and slowly cook for another 30 - 40 mins.

Season with lots of black pepper and serve. A bit of crusty bread with melted cheese tops this off nicely.

I know that this is a pretty basic recipe but for ease and cheapness it goes down really well. Made about 8 decent portions and would also make a nice base for casseroles etc.

HTH
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 26th Feb 09, 8:22 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi everyone

Have already started my March budget as I did my big once a month supermarket shop this evening and spent nearly half my budget! Never mind - the freezer is full and as it's Lent there won't be any alcohol or chocolate to buy!

Nearly had a fit though when I finished shopping as I phoned DH to remind him to put the shepherd's pie I had had prepared in the oven and switch on the pan with the swede I had prepared this morning only for him to say - oh I've already put it in the oven at 5-o-clock (this was at 6.20 pm!) I was so cross - how could he be so stupid? We had discussed the timings before I left for work this morning (he works from home)and he was supposed to take it out of the fridge at 5 and wait for me to call when I left the supermarket to to tell him to put it in the oven. I had visions of it being burnt to a cinder and I was so hungry! Fortunately, I had covered the dish with foil and he didn't take this off before putting it in the oven so the top didn't burn, just the bottom! It was edible -just. Why don't men listen? And he never cooks - even though I work full time i still do all the shopping, cooking and most of the chores -my own fault I know as I spoilt him when we were first married. Sorry rant over - steam is still coming out of my ears though!

Off for a soak in along hot bath!

Moniker
  • Tracey.32
    Evening everyone

Not posted this week but still trying to keep up with reading...

Payday for me tomorrow, Mrs Mc, so would like to declare please 166.38 for FEB so that's 16.38 over for the month. A bit disappointed I have to say, but I hadn't really accounted for half-term. Also, had I got my finger out and taken packed lunches all month (as I have been promising since January!), I would have saved 18.50 and would have been under budget!!

So, I'd like to try again for MARCH - 150 please.

Well done to everyone else and thanks for all the great tips
    Grocery challenge: Jun134.15/120; Jul 60.90/120
  • prudence41
    Bought the M&S Meal for 10 today so I have added that to my running total. Still ahead of my monthly target for February though.
    I wanna be Mortgage Free by February 2013
    • elaina79
    • By elaina79 26th Feb 09, 8:45 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    elaina79
    Im declaring 319.30 for February which is an underspend of 60.70.

My target for March is 320.
    I used to suffer from lack of motivation.... now I just can't be arsed.

Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 1141 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • TheBees
    TheBees are declaring at 30 over budget.

Please put us down for 350 for March please.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,720Posts Today

7,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin