PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2 bags of semolina, what use are they?

Comments

• http://www.foodloversbritain.com/FoodMatters/Recipes/Puddings--Desserts/Apple-Semolina-Souffle/

My mum used to make semolina souffle - basically, baked semoilina, but with a meringue type thing going on that makes it lighter - I think this, with the apple and vanilla looks similar, and could be nice!

I've got a feeling that another thing you can do is make the semolina as normal, but melt chocolate into it for chocolate semolina - again, I'd like that, but then I like semolina pudding. Yummy if you make it wiht part milk, part Canation milk. Do you think my 1970's northern working class roots are showing, boys??
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    mandragora wrote: »
    http://www.foodloversbritain.com/FoodMatters/Recipes/Puddings--Desserts/Apple-Semolina-Souffle/

My mum used to make semolina souffle - basically, baked semoilina, but with a meringue type thing going on that makes it lighter - I think this, with the apple and vanilla looks similar, and could be nice!

I've got a feeling that another thing you can do is make the semolina as normal, but melt chocolate into it for chocolate semolina - again, I'd like that, but then I like semolina pudding. Yummy if you make it wiht part milk, part Coronation milk. Do you think my 1970's northern working class roots are showing, boys??

Ere, I'm a Southerner and we used to make rice pud with Carnation... very nice it was too.... Working class as well :rotfl:
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Caroline,

There's an earlier thread with some more ideas that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • hi there i bought some to make nigella's roast potatoes. the roasties turned out lovely :j but now i have nearly a whole packet of semolina left.

For anyone who wants to make crispy on the outside roast potatoes it also works with plain white flour or even white bread flour, saves going out to buy a bag of semolina especially as most people will have flour in the house already.

(Par-boil peeled potato halves/pieces in well salted water, drain, steam dry, 'bash up' in pan to rough up the edges, sprinkle with flour or semolina, shake to evenly coat then roast in hot goose fat /duck fat or olive oil for about an hour turning a few times, sprinkle with salt and enjoy.) :) yum!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    i added to potatoes to make nigellas roasties they were yummy
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • bellett
    bellett Posts: 44 Forumite
    I have just found a large 1.5kg bag of semolina at the back of my china cupboard (don't ask! - enough said if I mention I asked DH to put it away:mad:) Anyway - it's dated best before end December 2008. Questions:-
    1. Is it safe to use (my instinct says yes)
    2. As it is so far unopened how long would you keep it for after opening and first use
    3. Apart from pudding, what can I use it for? I think I bought it for a particular recipe, but I can't rememeber what :confused:
    Thanks for any help offered
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    MINCE SQUARES
    6OZ MARGARINE
    3 OZ SUGAR
    6 OZ FAROLA .... aka Semolina
    6 OZ SR FLOUR
    1/2 TEASPOON MIXED SPICE
    1 JAR MINCEMEAT
    MELT MARG AND SUGAR.
    ADD FAROLA AND FLOUR AND MIXED SPICE AND MIX WELL.
    PRESS 1/2 MIXTURE INTO SWISS ROLL TIN.
    SPREAD OVER MINCEMEAT.
    USING A FORK CRUMBLE REMAINING MIXTURE AND SPRINKLE OVER TOP OF MINCEMEAT.
    BAKE GAS 4 FOR 20-30 MINUTES

I love these at Christmas!!!! ..... but it is the only recipe i have with Semolina ... maybe you could substitute the mince meat for well drained stewed fruit ??????
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    oops sorry about large font (above) .. cut and paste recipe from microsoft :o)
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Should be fine if it hasn't been opened. After all no moisture has touched it - best before dates have to be included (by law?) and it should be okay still for another 6 months to a year. The only 'drawback' leaving it for too long after opening is a deterioration in taste on exposure to air moisture.
  • Delia tosses potatoes in semolina before roasting - my children love the crunchy result. There are lots of Middle eastern cake recipes which use semolina and you soak in rose water, lime or lemon juice.
    Its also good in shortbread - see http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/shortbread-stars,1849,RC.html

If you google you will also find savoury polenta type cakes made with ordinary semolina.

I love it just made with milk for breakfast or lunch!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure