Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • saving-grace
    • By saving-grace 13th Jun 06, 3:15 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    saving-grace
    I think you can use it to make shortbread as well. I am sure I have a recipe somewhere I shall have a scout in my recipe books
    by JackieO
    I had this at the back of my mind too.
    Delia has a recipe for shortbread with semolina in

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/home-made-scottish-butter-shortbread,1087,RC.html

Hope the link works - not sure how else to do it. Its from the Cookery Course book originally.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    I've used semolina to thicken a stew before as I had no cornflour and it worked well.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 13th Jun 06, 6:05 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I think you can use it to make shortbread as well. I am sure I have a recipe somewhere I shall have a scout in my recipe books
    by JackieO
    My Gran used to add semolina to her shortbread and it made it really short and delicious.I'm not sure of the exact recipe,but I think she just replaced some of the flour with semolina - about 1 part semolina to 2 parts flour sounds about right ?
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jun 06, 9:18 PM
    • 16,857 Posts
    • 144,314 Thanks
    JackieO
    I had this at the back of my mind too.
    Delia has a recipe for shortbread with semolina in

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/home-made-scottish-butter-shortbread,1087,RC.html

Hope the link works - not sure how else to do it. Its from the Cookery Course book originally.
    by saving-grace
    Cheers saving-grace yes it was from delia that I remembered it.It makes the shortbread really delicious and crunchy. Most important to !!!!! the dough all over with a fork or it will rise
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • brokenwings
    • By brokenwings 13th Jun 06, 10:39 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    brokenwings
    i have a recipe for cherry cake - i think its the dairy cook book but am not home now to check - which uses semolina to stop the cherries sinking

its lovely and always a success.
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 14th Jun 06, 8:40 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    this is what i make to use up semolina ,the kids love it and you can vary what you add to it depending what you have in the fridge,ive used peas / onions / mushrooms etc aswell as the cheese / sweetcorn

http://www.netmums.com/lc/food/recipes/cheesycorntriangles.htm
  • rosieben
    Its a long time ago but if anyone is wanting the link Rachie B gave above, the site's been updated and the cheesy corn triangles recipe is now here
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Gingernutmeg
    You can also sprinkle a bit of it on the bottom of pies to stop them going soggy. I think Delia has a recipe for an open rhubarb tart where she puts a layer of semolina beneath the fruit to absorb the juices.

• caroline1973lefty
    • By caroline1973lefty 27th Dec 08, 9:59 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    caroline1973lefty
    what to do with semolina?
    hi there i bought some to make nigella's roast potatoes. the roasties turned out lovely but now i have nearly a whole packet of semolina left. any of you lovely OS-ers got ideas what i can do with it (apart from making semolina pudding, which i don't think i like!)
    thanks!
    "The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 27th Dec 08, 10:02 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 4,116 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    Semolina biscuits >>>

http://www.recipenetwork.co.uk/i/recipe151/Sugary-Semolina-Biscuits.htm
    • turkolina
    • By turkolina 27th Dec 08, 10:04 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    turkolina
    keep it dry and use it again for roast potatoes.. The amount of roast potatoes we cook, it won't take long to get through..

x
    • mandragora
    • By mandragora 27th Dec 08, 10:07 PM
    • 2,561 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    mandragora
    http://www.foodloversbritain.com/FoodMatters/Recipes/Puddings--Desserts/Apple-Semolina-Souffle/

My mum used to make semolina souffle - basically, baked semoilina, but with a meringue type thing going on that makes it lighter - I think this, with the apple and vanilla looks similar, and could be nice!

I've got a feeling that another thing you can do is make the semolina as normal, but melt chocolate into it for chocolate semolina - again, I'd like that, but then I like semolina pudding. Yummy if you make it wiht part milk, part Canation milk. Do you think my 1970's northern working class roots are showing, boys??
    Last edited by mandragora; 27-12-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling correction!
  • Ephemera
    http://www.foodloversbritain.com/FoodMatters/Recipes/Puddings--Desserts/Apple-Semolina-Souffle/

My mum used to make semolina souffle - basically, baked semoilina, but with a meringue type thing going on that makes it lighter - I think this, with the apple and vanilla looks similar, and could be nice!

I've got a feeling that another thing you can do is make the semolina as normal, but melt chocolate into it for chocolate semolina - again, I'd like that, but then I like semolina pudding. Yummy if you make it wiht part milk, part Coronation milk. Do you think my 1970's northern working class roots are showing, boys??
    Originally posted by mandragora
    Ere, I'm a Southerner and we used to make rice pud with Carnation... very nice it was too.... Working class as well
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Dec 08, 11:00 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Caroline,

There's an earlier thread with some more ideas that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • competitionscafe
    hi there i bought some to make nigella's roast potatoes. the roasties turned out lovely but now i have nearly a whole packet of semolina left.
    Originally posted by caroline1973lefty
    For anyone who wants to make crispy on the outside roast potatoes it also works with plain white flour or even white bread flour, saves going out to buy a bag of semolina especially as most people will have flour in the house already.

(Par-boil peeled potato halves/pieces in well salted water, drain, steam dry, 'bash up' in pan to rough up the edges, sprinkle with flour or semolina, shake to evenly coat then roast in hot goose fat /duck fat or olive oil for about an hour turning a few times, sprinkle with salt and enjoy.) yum!
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • LJM
    i added to potatoes to make nigellas roasties they were yummy
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
  • bellett
    Semolina - need to use up 1.5 kilo ASAP
    I have just found a large 1.5kg bag of semolina at the back of my china cupboard (don't ask! - enough said if I mention I asked DH to put it away) Anyway - it's dated best before end December 2008. Questions:-
    1. Is it safe to use (my instinct says yes)
    2. As it is so far unopened how long would you keep it for after opening and first use
    3. Apart from pudding, what can I use it for? I think I bought it for a particular recipe, but I can't rememeber what :confused:
    Thanks for any help offered
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 19th Feb 09, 4:44 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    BOBS
    MINCE SQUARES
    6OZ MARGARINE
    3 OZ SUGAR
    6 OZ FAROLA .... aka Semolina
    6 OZ SR FLOUR
    1/2 TEASPOON MIXED SPICE
    1 JAR MINCEMEAT
    MELT MARG AND SUGAR.
    ADD FAROLA AND FLOUR AND MIXED SPICE AND MIX WELL.
    PRESS 1/2 MIXTURE INTO SWISS ROLL TIN.
    SPREAD OVER MINCEMEAT.
    USING A FORK CRUMBLE REMAINING MIXTURE AND SPRINKLE OVER TOP OF MINCEMEAT.
    BAKE GAS 4 FOR 20-30 MINUTES

I love these at Christmas!!!! ..... but it is the only recipe i have with Semolina ... maybe you could substitute the mince meat for well drained stewed fruit ??????
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 19th Feb 09, 4:44 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    BOBS
    oops sorry about large font (above) .. cut and paste recipe from microsoft )
    • malcolm000
    • By malcolm000 19th Feb 09, 4:47 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    malcolm000
    Should be fine if it hasn't been opened. After all no moisture has touched it - best before dates have to be included (by law?) and it should be okay still for another 6 months to a year. The only 'drawback' leaving it for too long after opening is a deterioration in taste on exposure to air moisture.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,372Posts Today

7,581Users online

Martin's Twitter