Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Tondella
    cup cakes!!!
    • 23rd Jun 06, 9:46 AM
    cup cakes!!! 23rd Jun 06 at 9:46 AM
    I have volunteered to make my friend's wedding cake in a fortnight, for which she has asked for lemon and chocolate flavoured cupcakes (that's separately, not lemon-and-chocolate, iyswim)

I can find loads of recipes on the internet but thought i would see if anyone had a tried and tested, fail-safe yummy recipe, particularly for the chocolate ones as i always find it hard to find a really chocolately recipe.

Obviously they have to look pretty too, I normally make my icing by adding a little water to some icing sugar - most times the mix is too runny and it goes everywhere. For the wedding i thought i would try the american style frostings, which i think give you a bit more artistic licence, and cover up more mistakes! Again I've found loads of recipes on the internet, but not sure what to go for. some of them require egg whites too and I'd rather avoid those in case any of the guests are pregnant.

any cupcake angels out there?
    Debt Oct 2005: 32,692.94
    Current debt: 14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
Page 8
  • nunnygirl
    They look fantastic!! Hope your little girl loves them!
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1216 -
    2011 Total - 526.62

2012 Total - 503.87
  • trigger2
    well done you, they look lovely

regards

trigger
    • Sweetpeanut
    • By Sweetpeanut 7th Feb 09, 3:16 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    Sweetpeanut
    mmmmmmm, they look gorgeous, well-done you xx
    • whoops!! sealed pot opened!!! for holiday stuff, 360, an i BLEW it
    • queen vi
    • By queen vi 7th Feb 09, 3:20 PM
    • 974 Posts
    • 1,330 Thanks
    queen vi
    fantatic look lovely well done
  • Happyroly
    They look scrummy and I am sure they taste great too!
  • deborah64
    They look fab,
    well done
    • WartimeScrapingofMarmite
    • By WartimeScrapingofMarmite 7th Feb 09, 4:09 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    WartimeScrapingofMarmite
    They look gorgeous - can I ask what you iced them with?

They look like some very expensive cupcakes I bought in a patisserie in London a while back!
    Last edited by WartimeScrapingofMarmite; 07-02-2009 at 5:34 PM.
  • shelley1977
    they look great
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
    • narabanekeater
    • By narabanekeater 7th Feb 09, 5:18 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    narabanekeater
    Owens how did you do the icing please?
    (in easy steps if you can LOL)
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 7th Feb 09, 5:46 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    They look great, well done!
    • Bella79
    • By Bella79 7th Feb 09, 5:46 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Bella79
    right its buttercream topping
    1 block unsalted butter sotened in a bowl
    add 2 cups of icing sugar 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and mix with a hand blender untilll light and fluffy
    keep adding icing sugar and beating untill its quite firm in the bowl and holds its shape
    then add a little bit of food colouring and beat

this makes enough to ice 24 muffin size cupcakes
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 7th Feb 09, 6:04 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    They look so pretty Owens. I love buttercream. They'd make great Valentine cakes if you put heart-shaped sweeties on top
    • Paulie'sGirl
    • By Paulie'sGirl 7th Feb 09, 6:10 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    Paulie'sGirl
    They look so pretty Owens. I love buttercream. They'd make great Valentine cakes if you put heart-shaped sweeties on top
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Oh wow - what a great idea! I'll go hunting for a cupcake recipe now.

Thanks Thriftlady.

Those look amazing BTW... Well done Owens3116

PGxx
    • loopy linda
    • By loopy linda 7th Feb 09, 6:11 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    loopy linda
    well done they look yummy feeling really hungry now
  • jodie114
    ohh yum, how would you do chocolate buttercream? could you just add cocoa powder or would you need to add extra liquid?

thanks
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 7th Feb 09, 6:21 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    ohh yum, how would you do chocolate buttercream? could you just add cocoa powder or would you need to add extra liquid?

thanks
    Originally posted by jodie114
    When I do chocolate buttercream I just sub 1 tbsp of icing sugar for 1 of cocoa

When I do plain buttercream I use lemon juice rather than milk.
  • bumblebeebaby
    gona try a batch of these i think, but when people refer to cups for quantities...dont cups come in varying sizes, do you use tea cups? thanks
    • TashaC
    • By TashaC 29th Mar 09, 7:54 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    TashaC
    Gourmet Cupcakes?
    Hi, have been lurking around for ages now... finally plucked up the courage to post! I've been baking loads at the moment, and now really want to create my own recipes cupcake recipes! Can anybody give me some tips? Are there certain ratios I need to keep to with wet and dry ingredient? Really in need of some help! Thanks in advance!!
  • Gangstabird
    Are we talking muffins here or fairy cakes. I always get confused with this as in the US muffins are cupcakes??

Muffins are made with veg oil rather than butter/marg. It makes them moist. Also with muffins you don't thoroughly mix the ingredients, you sort of just move a metal spoon around a bit.

I have a lovely cupcake/muffin book if you would like some recipes.

For every 14oz/400g of flour you need 8fl oz sunflower oil and 2 eggs and 7oz/200g sugar. Start from here and you can't go wrong, you could add carrot, apple, courgette (yes really) coconut, nuts, any chopped fruit.
    Last edited by Gangstabird; 29-03-2009 at 8:10 AM.
  • Buddingblonde
    How long in the oven and at what temp please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

2,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin