Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    rosieben
    February 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jan 09, 12:15 PM
    February 2009 Grocery Challenge 28th Jan 09 at 12:15 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the February 2009 Grocery Challenge.

Pink isn't around at the moment, so I've ok'd with Penelope Penguin to start off the new thread. We start with Pink's usual opening posts.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the January Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone

Rosieben xx
    Last edited by rosieben; 28-01-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Page 30
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Feb 09, 5:14 PM
    • 3,425 Posts
    • 47,933 Thanks
    nmlc
    "nmlc, don't worry too much, I'm on 100 for the month, I haven't spent a penny and still my budget is down to 70 already ..... in my case it is the rest of the family raiding the envelope! Just take very careful note of what you are spending the money on, then next month you can work a little closer to the budget. It gets easier as time goes by, honestly. In time it even gets to be automatic, though we all fall off every now and again - unless you are NYK or Weezl or Mrs Mac!!"
    Hi everyone, thanks for the support, after the realisation of the amount of money I've spent, this afternoon I've done some baking, I've made a Bakewell tart (OH's favourite), 12 large muffins, and some mince pies. I now feel happier that the cupboards are not so bare - once you start watching what you spend you soon see how much all the processed/ready made stuff costs!
    Have a good evening everyone, stay safe.
    Love nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • gtx
    hi everyone
    haven't been on for a while but thats because i'm not spending
    and have been keeping up with flylady stuff - you should see the difference at our place

i was wondering how the people who have gone organic for their meat are finding the costs - i tend to buy whatever is on offer at mr a's - which usually isn't free range or organic but the kids are taking more of an interest after watching jamie the other night and i know it's something we should do but i'm worried about the cost

gtx

DFW#1062 LBM Aug 08 - DFD JUN '22
  • Jaycee1972
    Hiya everyone.

Been to Morrisons today and local 'bread' shop (newsagents which has local bakery bread) and in total spent 33.30 which included 5 in wine. Decided to get the 4 small bottle for 5 to encourage me to only have one

Not bad. Half the monthly budget gone but lots of stuff in. Bought some mushroom pasta sauce reduced for the freezer and carrot soup also reduced for tea. They weren't on my list. Also ice cream, cheese which was on offer also not on list but pretty much everything else was so I am getting better at sticking to my list

Been meal planning this morning before we went. Mitchell is up to his armpits (nearly) in ice cream (he is 2.25) and has been asking for one since they went into the trolley hours ago.

Made pasta sauce yesteday in a big batch. One for yesterday tea, one for tomorrow tea and 2 portions in the freezer. Very satistfying.

Probably need to do a tesco delivery next week to get my bonus club cards for doing 3 online shops before the end of feb.

The week after will be sainsburys. I already have a 10 voucher and another 20 expected from ipoints which should have arrived by then. All helps

Hope you are all well.
    Jane

Jaycee x

• elizabunny
    Hi
    Can anyone help my 1st fruit and veg box has just arrived and was thinking of making a lamb joint in my slow cooker with some of veg and then freezing for next week. I have a frozen lamb joint in freezer (that I bought frozen) which says in pack to roast from frozen, can I just bung this in slow cooker frozen as well with the veg.
    Originally posted by hamish222
    I personally wouldn't do this hamish222. I know you've said it says in the pack to roast from frozen, but I think it would take a huge amount of time to defrost the joint in the slo-cooker and then for it to be cooked through thoroughly. I am bit funny about frozen meat anyway and would always defrost it thoroughly before cooking.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • TheBees
    It was our turn with the snow today so all 4 of us were off school! Made the most of the extra day off by clearing the ironing pile (then washing a load more stuff to fill it up again), tidying the spare room/office and shredding 6 months worth of paperwork plus doing a bit of baking.

DD has had a friend round all day who's sleeping over. Had planned a slow cooked pork casserole but the friend doesn't like pork so instead I defrosted a previously made bolognese. I then followed a recipe in the latest Tesco magazine in which you simply cook some Penne pasta, put it on the bottom of a shallow baking dish and cover it with the bolognese sauce. Grate some cheese on top and then either grill or put it in the oven. I also made som mini french rolls using the bread maker which we had with it and the girls made some lovely chocolate brownies for pudding with icecream. Yum

I've worked out we've got 58 per week left out of the budget. Should be able to do it I reckon.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
  • Tracey.32
    Hello everyone!

Not been by for a while so thought I'd pop in to update. Not spent much this week but still not properly into the packed lunch thing for me - DD on track with that tho'. I can get a sandwich at work for 80p or a salad for 1 and with the price of salad stuff these days I'm not sure I can beat that by much. Of course, I've got tuna, couscous, bread and mayonnaise already in the house, in which case, I can beat it by about 100% right?!!

Went for petrol yesterday and they had minicream eggs on 2 bags for 2. I don't even LIKE cream eggs, but you know when you just see something and have an IMMEDIATE craving for it? Took them into work tho' so at least I didn't eat 'em all myself! I HATE going for petrol - our garage has lovely muffins and always 'special offers' on chocolate... I long for the day when I can order petrol on-line and have a little man come around to fill 'er up during the night!

Got some manky bananas to use up this weekend - going to look for a good recipe later (hopefully something that I've already got all the stuff in for).

Not too much snow here today but we are expecting more on Sunday. Hope everyone is warm and safe
    Grocery challenge: Jun134.15/120; Jul 60.90/120
  • Tracey.32
    I then followed a recipe in the latest Tesco magazine in which you simply cook some Penne pasta, put it on the bottom of a shallow baking dish and cover it with the bolognese sauce. Grate some cheese on top and then either grill or put it in the oven.
    Originally posted by TheBees
    Mmmmnnnn, Bees, there were some cool recipes in that mag, especially the ones in the affordable family meal plan section (everyone's turning MS!). I'm going to try that penne bolognese one soon. Already had the banana, yogurt and toasted oat pots, and got stuff in for the warm bacon and potato salad.
    Grocery challenge: Jun134.15/120; Jul 60.90/120
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 6th Feb 09, 7:42 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Well, school was shut again today, so of course I went to MrA. I ended up spending 20, so I am now over my budget, but I'm pleased with what I got.
    DD(3) decided that the only option for dinner tonight was a lasagne, so needed some bits for that - incidentally, lush, and 3 lots for the 2 of them to go into freezer tonight.
    Other than that, got some chicken to make chicken nuggets with, some washing powder as I didn't realise I had run out!, and random other useful stuff.
    I couldn't manage to get cat litter as well - too much to carry in the snow, so I'll have to go back for that, but once I got home I realised I hadn't got hot choc either, so I'd've had to go back anyway.
    The challenge now is to see how little over my budget I can go. I'm not too cross with myself at all, after all, this is the first month I've done this, and I did set it low to try and recover from the whole Christmas thing.
    Mrs M - I've been looking around for patterns, and may start the whole present-making thing soon!
    nmlc - is the recipe for your bakewell tart on here? If so, where, if not, can I have it?!?!
    Take care all, will update sig once I've brought the receipt upstairs.
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 6th Feb 09, 8:01 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    an emergency spend on some m&s profiteroles and cream today - been a horrid day - been going through redundancy consultation in work and whilst my job is safe, some of my work colleagues have lost their jobs and have now left including a good friend :confused:

i was rather amused to see how empty the shelves were however with lots of notices up blaming lack of deliveries on the snow!!! I have never seen their shelves so empty!

still they had my profiteroels

need to sit down and crunch the numbers this weekend and update my signature. I have been very bad at keeping proper track although I am certaintly much more aware of what Im spending and although completely unrelated to food, an e-mail from a craft website offering me 75% off certain products has been deleted. Although VERY tempting, the money would be far better spent in reducing my credit card debt

I wish all you masterchefs would come and cook for me. all this baking and cooking that you talk about makes my mouth water and it all sounds so nice.

• Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 6th Feb 09, 8:02 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    Well, school was shut again today, so of course I went to MrA. I ended up spending 20, so I am now over my budget, but I'm pleased with what I got.
    DD(3) decided that the only option for dinner tonight was a lasagne, so needed some bits for that - incidentally, lush, and 3 lots for the 2 of them to go into freezer tonight.
    Other than that, got some chicken to make chicken nuggets with, some washing powder as I didn't realise I had run out!, and random other useful stuff.
    I couldn't manage to get cat litter as well - too much to carry in the snow, so I'll have to go back for that, but once I got home I realised I hadn't got hot choc either, so I'd've had to go back anyway.
    The challenge now is to see how little over my budget I can go. I'm not too cross with myself at all, after all, this is the first month I've done this, and I did set it low to try and recover from the whole Christmas thing.
    Mrs M - I've been looking around for patterns, and may start the whole present-making thing soon!
    nmlc - is the recipe for your bakewell tart on here? If so, where, if not, can I have it?!?!
    Take care all, will update sig once I've brought the receipt upstairs.
    PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    oh yes please. can I have the receipe for bakewell tart too ???

• Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 6th Feb 09, 8:30 PM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 12,894 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Baileys Babe - did you find at any point that you could only shuffle sideways, like a crab? That was the weirdest part for me:confused:
    Originally posted by Sylvan
    No, could hardly move. Very small steps less than 1/2 the length of my size 5 foot. I found it very isolating. Everything was to far away. Stayed at work even though I could of gone off sick as I needed the company and I prefer not to sit next to the kettle to enjoy a cup of tea, colleagues would make the tea nd bring it to me
  • TrixieB
    11.05 just added to my total so far - couple of reduced things in Asda, bread, neeps and tatties packs that have bunged into freezer ( assume that'll be ok, they are raw?!) some birthday stuff ( candles, icing etc) some toiletries oh and in Boots spent 25p on a litre of their own brand bubble bath ( should have been about 1 I believe?) there's two flavours been reduced, one blue, one peachy - have used that for refilling my soap dispensers

Am away for a few days so see you next week!

P.S any Heroes fans here? Doesn't look like Sylar??!
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Feb 09, 9:13 PM
    • 3,425 Posts
    • 47,933 Thanks
    nmlc
    Penny Grabber and Flat Eric and anyone else.
    The Bakewell Tart recipe is one I used for years.

175g/6oz Shortcrust pastry
    Filling
    2 x 15ml/2 tbsp jam
    75g/3oz marg
    75g/3oz castor sugar
    100g/4oz ground almonds
    50g/2oz ground rice
    1 egg, size 3, beaten
    few drops almond essence (optional)
    blanched almonds
    1. Heat oven to 190c/375f/gas mark 5. Line 18cm/7 inch flan tin with 2 thirds of the pastry, reserving remainder for the top. Spread the base with jam.
    2. Cream marg and sugar.
    3. Mix together ground almonds and ground rice, add to the creamed mixture alternately with the beaten egg.
    4. Spread the mixture over the jam, then decorate with a lattice of pastry strips, and blanched almonds. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
    Enjoy!
    Take it easy, stay safe.
    Love nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • hamish222
    • By hamish222 6th Feb 09, 9:40 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    hamish222
    I personally wouldn't do this hamish222. I know you've said it says in the pack to roast from frozen, but I think it would take a huge amount of time to defrost the joint in the slo-cooker and then for it to be cooked through thoroughly. I am bit funny about frozen meat anyway and would always defrost it thoroughly before cooking.
    Originally posted by elizabunny
    Thanks just made some veg soup to pop in freezer instead. I am going away this weekend and wanted to use some of veg up.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - 100.77/ 3500. January Treats Budget - 11.80 / 100.
    • seabright
    • By seabright 6th Feb 09, 9:54 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,662 Thanks
    seabright
    Dinner party for 4 tomorrow, here is what I'm doing and how I have made some "Old Style" changes, which I hope won't affect the guests enjoyment:

Pre-Dinner Nibbles
    Rather thank buying some posh crisps, made some cheese straws and have a packet of pistachios from my lovely Christmas hamper that a client sent me

Starter
    Cream of Artichoke Heart Soup - no OS changes, but not a pricy reciepe

Main
    Boeuf Carbonade (Beef in Beer) - bought stewing steak rather than steak, so made it in the slow cooker. Added finely grated carrot to try and eek out another portion for the freezer

Red cabbage - made in the slow cooker last week, already in the freezer

Dessert
    Apple crumble (home made) and custard. Have never made custard from scratch before, but the recipe looks easy and have all the ingredients

Cheese & Biscuits
    Cheese on offer at tescos. Made Suffolk Rusks instead of buying crackers, as I had all the ingredients.

Hope no-one realises they're getting the Money Saving Dinner Menu!
  • Rachel021967
    Spent 4.19 at Tesco Express and 14.40 on a large bit of free range brisket from the butcher. Also 80p Danish pastry for DD from the bakers. Total spend so far: 122.85. Leaving 227.15.

Please can I have the recipe for bacon and potato salad and Suffolk rusks.
    Thanks for the Bakewell Tart recipe. It's my husband's favourite.
    Last edited by Rachel021967; 06-02-2009 at 10:20 PM.
  • Miss-spent
    Hi, all these recipes sound lovely
    This weeks grocery spend is 41.32 plus another 10 for an electric toothbrush as the old one died and the dentist said I must use one. Not sure if that counts as groceries?
    First time this week no 'me' money. Did spend 60 on a filling (thats over 200 at the dentist this year) but can claim this back on insurance.
    New Dishwasher coming tomorrow (done without since before Christmas).
    It seems each week this year has brought considerable big spends.
  • Lifebegins
    Hello everyone

This week I have spent 13.62. Bought bread and milk from the corner shop because of the snow which lasted all of two days. When I did manage to get to Mr T's they have reduced the price of the welsh butter we use to 1.00 a pack, now have a little butter stockpile in the freezer.
    Have just started using menu plans,after reading this thread and knowing what we were having each evening was fab, on the days I did manage to get to work, DP has started to prepare food by the time I had got home. Will do a plan for next week and write a shopping list, this will also be a first for me, will go shopping later, list in hand.

Lisa x
  • joanie
    Latecomer here
    hello all,
    I've read this thread for a while but couldn't seem to get motiviated. but just finished reading MBAS thread about 20 to last a month and am now inspired.

Worked out we spent in the region of 550 (maybe more) last month and that's for 2 adults a 7 year old and a cat....ashamed at stuff we throw away or buy more cos we don't fancy what we got.

jobs front looking bleak in next few months so here i am motivated and raring to go

Dont want to go too low so put me down for 350 until I get the hang of it and then I can go lower when we need to (if we need to).

thanks everybody

x
    Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy. - Leo Buscaglia
    • Casperthefriendlyghost
    • By Casperthefriendlyghost 7th Feb 09, 8:32 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 4,000 Thanks
    Casperthefriendlyghost
    Good morning everyone

I hope you're all well and looking forward to a lovely weekend. Today will definately be a grocery spending day for me, I need to buy some eggs, milk, toilet paper and the Times newspaper, for TV programmes and news, and it's only 1 today. So hoping to stay within my 9.99 still left until the 24th Feb. And that should be it for the rest of my month.

Have a good weekend everyone. Will update spends later after shopping. Wish me luck.

Cheers
    Casper
    x x
    LBM Feb 09 64 427.32 13 700.59! Sub 15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec 40.00 SSF 00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) 13.59 SSF 00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,777Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin