Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    rosieben
    February 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jan 09, 12:15 PM
    February 2009 Grocery Challenge 28th Jan 09 at 12:15 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the February 2009 Grocery Challenge.

Pink isn't around at the moment, so I've ok'd with Penelope Penguin to start off the new thread. We start with Pink's usual opening posts.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the January Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone

Rosieben xx
    Last edited by rosieben; 28-01-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Page 19
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 2nd Feb 09, 9:12 PM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 12,909 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    I cant face the tesco shop on my own as ive got SPD which makes pushing the trolley a nightmare at the moe so thought this might be a good option.
    Originally posted by mummy2mygirls
    Please, please, please do not push a trolley when you have SPD (or use a hoover etc) as this will cause lots of pain and make make the suffering worse. Last time round I was on crutches with SPD from about 15 weeks. Most of the big supermarkets were very helpful & I would either get taken around the store by an assistant or an assistant would take my trolley round whilst I shuffled along. Everybody was very patient with me. An online shop would seem the best option.

I know this is off topic but I would not wish SPD on anybody as it can be unbareable. If this post saves one person from agony, it will be a good thing. Thinking about last time still makes me cry.
    • Sylvan
    • By Sylvan 2nd Feb 09, 9:19 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Sylvan
    Baileys Babe - did you find at any point that you could only shuffle sideways, like a crab? That was the weirdest part for me:confused:

mummy2mygirls - most of the big supermarkets have those disabled buggy-type things ("martcarts") with big baskets at the front. You just have to ask the greeter or at the customer service desk. They don't move very fast but then neither do you with SPD! The assistants will then help you pack and take your shopping to the car (since you're not allowed to use them outside).
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
    • leed
    • By leed 2nd Feb 09, 9:50 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    leed
    [quote=Moniker;18361153]
    Can I ask what you are all going to do with the money you will hopefully have left over from the GC - treat yourself? Pay off debts? Put it towards a holiday? Xmas 2009?

I'm going to put anything I have left over into my savings account for holiday spending money in August.[/QUOTE

At the end of each month I transfer any underspend into my cash ISA - that way I am not tempted to splurge and I can see it making a real difference to my savings. It gives me encouragement to keep going with the challenge when things are hard.

Moniker
    Originally posted by TrixieB
    I like the idea of putting extra away at end of month in ISA - as I don't know how much I spend on stuff each month I am just keeping a tally and will then try to reduce next month.

• seabright
    • By seabright 2nd Feb 09, 9:52 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,662 Thanks
    seabright
    NSD today - had no choice really, we live on the top of a very steep hill, so whilst we may have been able to get down the hill, no guarentee of getting back up. OH therefore off work and at home with me.

Lunch: 2 cuppa soups - finished off a box of muligatawny that we didn't really like
    Dinner: HM pizza (using left over stuff from the fridge, mainly)
    Slowcooker for tomorrow: Bolognase sauce
  • rosieben
    ... JUST WONDERED CAN YOU FREEZE MOZZARELLA CHEESE? IF SO WOULD YOU TAKE IT OUT OF THE PACKET AND REMOVE ALL THE LIQUID OR FREEZE AS IT IS?
    Originally posted by TheBees
    I just throw mine in the freezer in the packet this thread might help Mozarella - freezing
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Floxxie
    • By Floxxie 2nd Feb 09, 10:21 PM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 5,284 Thanks
    Floxxie
    Could I join in please? I'm still in shock from adding up January's food bill which amounted to about 10 people's monthly targets on here

Did a storecupboard list yesterday and came to the conclusion that having watched the programme about cheap food in the UK, I had taken it to extremes as I have 62 x 90% meat sausages in the freezer. I also found 2 lots of mince but that is it for meat!

Any suggestions of meals with sausages in them? Thought of sausage, mash and veg and toad in the hole and pf course sausage sandwiches!

Have loads of cheese and eggs in so am going to aim for 100 this month.

Floxxie
    • cw18
    • By cw18 2nd Feb 09, 10:28 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 86,000 Thanks
    cw18
    I do sausage cassole (using a packet mix from Mr A), and also serve grilled sausages with (stuffed) tortellini topped with mascarpone & cheese pasta sauce (the latter being one of my son's favourite meals).
    Cheryl
  • timetobedebtfree
    Hi,

Can you put me down for 200 for the challenge this month?
    Jan 09 17965.79 Mar 09 17765.20
    Lose Weight 24 - 0 / 25 lbs
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 2nd Feb 09, 10:59 PM
    • 3,120 Posts
    • 29,527 Thanks
    sashanut
    Any suggestions of meals with sausages in them? Thought of sausage, mash and veg and toad in the hole and pf course sausage sandwiches!

Floxxie
    Originally posted by Floxxie
    How about skinning a few of the sausages, makig into small meatballs, frying off with some onion then adding some passata or chopped toms, stir through cooked pasta? Could also then finish off in the oven with a bit of cheese on top - Tuscan Pasta Bake anyone?

Just popped on to update sig; went to Mr M's (nearest) as no milk/cat food in house & hungry moggies, not sure if going to be snowed in so thought I better get down there. I thought the shelves would be empty but not so - perhaps folks decided not to bother going out. Probably would be some bargains if you went just before closing. Got some of the 50p 1kg bags of onions & finally found passata in stock for the first time in ages.....Bettabuy at that - & at a reasonable 32p!! Prices are really weird though - Mr M's cat food more expensive for 6 cans now than Whiskas????? bonkers..

BTW if I save any money on the GC it will be coming off the CC debts - finally found the courage to use the snowball debt calculator....seemed appropriate today eh
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : 5500 OD GONE, 2000 OD - GONE 93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
  • Reverbe
    Could I join in please? I'm still in shock from adding up January's food bill which amounted to about 10 people's monthly targets on here

Did a storecupboard list yesterday and came to the conclusion that having watched the programme about cheap food in the UK, I had taken it to extremes as I have 62 x 90% meat sausages in the freezer. I also found 2 lots of mince but that is it for meat!

Have loads of cheese and eggs in so am going to aim for 100 this month.

Floxxie
    Originally posted by Floxxie
    I like to cut them open and fry the meat with fennel seeds. You can have it with whatever you like... omelettes, scrambled eggs etc.. for your budget but \I usually do it with plain pasta on the side
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
    • Sylvan
    • By Sylvan 2nd Feb 09, 11:04 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Sylvan
    Sausage and Rice Bake Floxxie.
    Cut the cooked sausages into rounds and layer them in a dish with fried onions, a tin of tomatoes and cooked rice. Top it with cheese sauce and bake it for half an hour.

I think that's all - I'll check tomorrow - haven't made it for ages... can't seem to keep cooked sausages long enough in this house for some strange reason.

Any money we save is going towards doing up the house. We need some more double glazing for a start <brrr>. And I've set my annual budget at a rate that means we'll save (compared to what we used to spend) half the amount we've spent so far on making the garden crippled-gardener friendly so I can get back to growing our own veggies.

I'm ashamed of myself today though. DS4 wanted us to take him to a town with a station on Saturday so he could get a train to Newcastle. Having done so we realised actually taking him all the way would have been a paltry 8 miles more, so on Sunday we picked him up from his friend's flat - and it was SO near the Indian shop - and it's been SO long since we went there (no time last couple of times I've been to the hospital). 40 in 20 minutes. That's not a good hourly rate... (and it didn't even include a 20kg bag of rice 'cos they didn't have any!)
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
  • Reverbe
    Trixie I don't tend to budget for food as there is just me and no bills to pay etc but get the bargains I can and will just use the GC as a way of trying to keep my spending down/ or as a personal challenge/something fun to do.Nothing needed with any money saved but it all goes towards my old age at the end of things..
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
    • Floxxie
    • By Floxxie 2nd Feb 09, 11:36 PM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 5,284 Thanks
    Floxxie
    Thankyou so much for the sausage suggestions - knew it would be worth coming onto this thread. Had a horrible vision of my 3 recipes repeated for several weeks

Off to cut and paste them now...

Floxxie
    • lauradora
    • By lauradora 3rd Feb 09, 5:36 AM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    lauradora
    I'm in again this month for 50 again please

Good luck everyone xxx

Still in debt but happy
    DFW nerd no 844

• MummyEm
    • By MummyEm 3rd Feb 09, 6:15 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 5,144 Thanks
    MummyEm
    Hi All
    After months of lurking on this thread I'm taking the plunge this month and would like to join pls. Can you put me down for 400.00 pls? This is for pregnant me, DH and DD 19 months this includes food, toiletries, nappies, cleaning products etc. but not alcohol.
    I know that's a lot but we normally spend 450-500 so this will be a challenge for us. Unfortunately the month has not started well as my husband did the shop at the weekend as I was poorly, he spent 130.00 and I still had to go out and get bits he'd missed !! :confused: He is terrible with money !

Going to do a big stock up shop on line at the end of the week using lots of coupons which should help as I am terrible at Mr T and end up buying lots of bits not on my list.:rolleyes:
    • Butterflybecks
    • By Butterflybecks 3rd Feb 09, 7:31 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Butterflybecks
    Morning all,
    After only going 21p over for Jan. I'm going to see if I can knock 10 off this month. So can you please put me down for 180 , This is for two adults and two cats. I have got lots in so should be a good month.
    Have already spent this month as went shopping in the snow last night, spent 32.30 plus I nipped to the local shop on sunday and spent 2.43. So i'm off to update date my signature now.
    Hope you all have a good day
    Becki
    • procrastinator
    • By procrastinator 3rd Feb 09, 7:42 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    procrastinator
    Jan 50 under budget,
    Hi
    Have just updated Jan with my final fig, was 50.00 under budget so I am very very happy with that. Doing lots of small shops is working for me at the minute, of course a big top up will be needed soon but still lots of store left. When I think back my Mum never did a big shop as she couldn't have carried it and no car to help, so will keep on with the little and often way. It's good for the enviroment and my health and my purse. Will be out some time this pm afterwork to pick up a few supplies, mainly bread and milk. The snow will add an extra dimension on the exercise front.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • WelshWoofer
    Aldi Super 6
    Hi,
    Just for those of you that don't know yet the Aldi fruit and veg bargains this month are...

Baking Pots 2.5kg 69p
    Pineapple 69p
    Onions 1.5kg 69p
    500g grapes 69p
    Vine tomatoes 450g 69p
    Green apples x6 69p

All seems quite usable!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 3rd Feb 09, 10:43 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    Inspired by those of you who are encourqaging your OHs in the GC by using the money saved to buy things they enjoy, last night struck a great GC bargain with DS14.

He's agreed to eat meals made from things in the freezer all month ( including helping to think what they should be) as that will then make room in the freezer for a trip to costco to be possible.

Great question Trixie, I am really enjoying seeing what others use the saved cash for ( have replied for me earlier in the thread).
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
    • natzini
    • By natzini 3rd Feb 09, 10:55 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    natzini
    Hi everyone!
    Been so busy at work, long story, but am ready to start the challenge!
    Please have me down for 125, that will include cleaning materials and food, for 2 people.
    Off to plough through, thank goodness it's another snow day....

Un sou est un sou
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,262Posts Today

8,074Users online

Martin's Twitter