Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 08, 11:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 08, 11:15 AM
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 08 at 11:15 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2009.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Page 97
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    MrsMcw-Can I ask how you do the spag sauce and chilli in Remoska? Do you brown first etc? How long etc etc....sorry...really need to start using it more. I have bought a huge carton of value mushrooms...could I do soup in there, or would that be better in the SC or pan?

Also....can you put me down for 200 for Feb and I spend 95 in Jan....yayy!!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 26th Jan 09, 7:27 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Hi all! We don't have a farmfoods closer than 35 miles away, and i really can't justify going there for milk!!

Mrs McCawber - what xmas presents are you making? I'm very interested as that sounds dead organised?!

NSD today - yeah!! - first of my Feb GC so far (started on 23rd).

Sharronej - I feel for you with the family credit. I'm waiting to hear what's going to happen with mine. What with my "D"H lowering his payments to me, I'm dreading that going down too. Sometimes it feels that I'm on the wrong end of luck!!

Still, I try to believe that we make our own luck, and GC is certainly helping me in that regard on the money front, as I'm sure i've been averaging over 200 a month for a while. Ridiculous really, as I have a massive pantry FULL of stuff! And, until recently, my 2nd freezer! That's still my March plan, to refill it...

Good luck those still on Jan - do you have "What can I make with what I've got" syndrome?!?!
    x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • Penny2myName
    • By Penny2myName 26th Jan 09, 7:28 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 4,556 Thanks
    Penny2myName
    FOOD
    2009-01-01 Milk 1.35
    2009-01-04 Milk 1.35
    2009-01-05 Cheese 1.59
    2009-01-05 Coffee 2.44
    2009-01-05 Milk 0.47
    2009-01-06 Milk 2.26
    2009-01-06 Potatoes 2.20
    2009-01-06 T-bags 1.70
    2009-01-08 Milk 2.26
    2009-01-10 Carrots 0.50
    2009-01-10 Melons 1.00
    2009-01-10 Sugar 0.84
    2009-01-10 Veg Lasagne (3) 1.20
    2009-01-11 Coffee (2) 6.00
    2009-01-11 Cress 0.10
    2009-01-11 Ham 1.38
    2009-01-11 Melon 0.35
    2009-01-11 Potatoes 0.48
    2009-01-11 Salami 0.58
    2009-01-14 Milk 2.26
    2009-01-17 Bread 0.45
    2009-01-17 Choc swiss roll 0.13
    2009-01-17 Eggs 0.80
    2009-01-17 Garlic Baguette 2 0.85
    2009-01-17 Margerine 0.85
    2009-01-17 Pizza (2) 1.98
    2009-01-17 Sausages 0.48
    2009-01-19 Cheese 1.99
    2009-01-19 Milk 2.26
    2009-01-19 Mozzarella 0.20
    2009-01-19 Potatoes 1.00
    2009-01-22 Cobble Rolls 0.55
    2009-01-23 Eggs 1.00
    2009-01-23 Milk 1.53
    2009-01-26 Chocolate muffins 0.67
    2009-01-26 Croissant 0.33
    2009-01-26 Egg Noodles 0.50
    2009-01-26 Margerine 0.80
    2009-01-26 Milk 2.26
    2009-01-26 Pain Aux Chocolate (2) 0.66
    2009-01-26 Savoury Eggs 0.50
    TOTAL FOR FOOD 50.10 10p over my set budget.

16 has been on milk alone. So a third of my spends has been on milk. Hoping not to have to buy anything else this month. Just to see if I can get the kids to ilk this last 6pt of milk out throughout the week.
    Last edited by Penny2myName; 26-01-2009 at 7:32 PM.
    19th March 2007 LBM5,969.63 1st January 2018 5960.18, 1st January 2019 11,032.00
    Student Loan 22244.00 From 2009-12
    Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 26th Jan 09, 7:33 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 56,866 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    STill working on my budget at the moment. Spent another 8.52 on Milk, eggs and ham. But then as I was running late I ended up buying my DS a sandwich in the garage at 3.45!! Will have to be more organised so that doesnt happen again!.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 26th Jan 09, 7:36 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 54,427 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    This is why i love living on my own with my 2 cildren of course!

I found today FFoods milk is 1 for 4pints. where as my corner shop is 99p for 2pints!!
    Im thinking of buyin another freezer
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    That's only 25p per pint! This is exactly what I'm talking about when we live in the sticks with no shops about - milk here costs 1.07 for 1.75 pints (1 litre), that's 61p per pint to your 25p per pint (or 49.5p from local).
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 26th Jan 09, 7:40 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Declaring my total for Jan.

Whoops I've gone way over budget at 160 for Jan. Dates ran from 19/12 - 26/1. In a way I am glad I went over budget and overstocked because.......

Due to a severe shortage of money for Feb and an over stocked freezer and cupboards I am declaring a budget of 50 for Feb. Dates for this month run from 27/1 to 26/2.

I have no choice but to eat all the food in the freezer and cupboard and only buy milk and a bit of fruit when I run out.

(deep breath) Lets see how I go on!
    Last edited by fedupandskint; 26-01-2009 at 7:42 PM. Reason: forgot to put is dates!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi Penny

My remoska is my fave toy ever if I hadn't gone in hospital hubby would never have got the oven on that twice ....I don't think I have done a bad thing in it YET

I refuse to do things in the pan and then transfer to the remoska,(mum has the recipe book -never used but lots of recipes seem to be done on the hob then transfered:confused: )
    I also do pasta bakes in there -I stick the pasta in a pan-pour boiling water over and put the lid on-by the time the remoska has done the sauce the pasta is cooked enough to drain and stir in-and it finishes in the remoska)- so NO putting the hob on to cook it

for bolognaise I :-
    break the raw mince up and drop it in the remoska then switch it on -it roasts it almost (you will need to keep an eye on it and break it up with a spatula) - I did...
    1. 1lb mince
    2. then added 3 chopped onions -stick the lid on and cook until soft
    3. about 1 cup frozen mushrooms and 1 cup frozen peppers -whack the lid back on and cook until soft
    4. 1tsp mixed herbs, about 3tbs oats, 2 lamb oxo cubes and mix -then put the lid back on for about 10 mins - so the oats absorb the meat juices
    5. throw in a 500g box of passata and put lid back on and bubble until thickened then season
    I can only put it down to the good old remoska -as it was perfect -for us anyway
    1. Chilli is just as above to number 3 ....
    2. then number 4 add 1 more oxo..and swap the herbs for 4 dried chilis crushed and a few more oats
    3. then its 2 boxes of passata and 2 tins of rinsed kidney beans ... If you have the standard like me its right up to the top -I should have split it into the other remoska but I got away with it
    That did hubby 7 good portions and its nice n thick so it takes up less room in the freezer and you can let it down if need be when you reheat

I have done soups in the remoska -I roast the veggies off in there so they are nice and caramalised then add the stock, seasoning etc.... then I tip it into the big dish if I want to blitz it

hope you can make sense of the ramblings

Hi Pennygrabber
    so far I have
    knitted 2 scarves, 2 bags, crochetted a bag(just need to line it) Im part way through mums x stitch, nieces very pink boa wool poncho, other nieces hooded scarf (I want one too)... I still have loads to do -but Im working on x stitching xmas decorations too
    Folks are getting more than 1 gift -mainly crochet/knitting/x stitch/jewellery making... so I thought I had better get organised -before veggie growing season starts or Im not going to have time to sleep
    Ok Im being naughty ..but I will remove the pic in the morning...
    This is the bag I have to line for my niece..I love it -but the colours are much deeper and richer that the pic
    Last edited by MRSMCAWBER; 26-01-2009 at 7:49 PM.
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • hannamint
    right... i'm doing it.... i've watched you all for a month and now i'm plucking up the courage to do it. and i'm being outrageous and saying for this month, we will only spend 50 on groceries in february.
    we should come really well under that because for one week of it, we're on our honeymoon. not even going to think how we'll afford that. but yeah, that's for me, my partner and two very messy, hungry rabbits.

we're currently trying to survive on around 500 a month because my partner is out of work. it's so hard. the rent alone is 300 and as you can imagine.. it leaves little to play with after all the other bills.
  • Rachel021967
    Husband has just bought some apples and ham for Waitrose totaling 4.22. Total overspend 139.63. Besides paying the milkman that should be it for January.
  • LittleEmms
    OK I've been reducing grocery spend over last two months. I know I can still get it down, but am doing it slowly. My february is set at 130... and I try to go shopping only fortnightly!! Date is 25th Jan - 25th February Hope you guys don't mind me joining!!
    LBM - 17th November 2008 - better late than never :rolleyes:
    Challenges - 2009 - Reduce CC to 1k by December
    June - Food 86/130 * Petrol 50/80 * Weekly allowance * 80/160
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 26th Jan 09, 8:45 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Mrs McC - that looks fab! I knit and sew a bit (if I ever have time!) and like the true OS ways, I have made the curtains in my house!
    You're rather an inspiration, aren't you?!
    I think I'll have to pick up my needles and start an xmas present making spree too! Makes sense to do it throughout the year, although I am putting 20 aside every month for xmas shopping. Home made gifts are so much more personal too. I gave a few people home made jam and scones this xmas just gone, and they went down quite well, so maybe a sewing/knitting thing would be a change from doing that again!
    Well done Mrs McC!!
    x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • orchid-96
    MrsM that bag looks gorgeous, only wish I had any sort of skill in that area at all :rolleyes: how great it must be to be able to make stuff, I can only just about sew on a button!!!

Thinking reading these posts that I might need to get a remoska they sound fab!!

well done all, it sounds like a lot of really great penny pinching has gone on in January, my month doesn't finish till 31st but good luck to all who have started Feb
    Jun GC 250.00/12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • elizabunny
    Evening everyone! Well I managed to hang onto my last 12p today. I soooo want to get to Saturday. I really must spread out my budget more next month and January has taught me a valuable lesson. I think that it is very possible we could get to the end of the month now, but will have to do alot of substituting and making do. Tonight I did the Liver an Onions as planned, but it was a sort of stir fry version as we only have 3 potatoes left and I want to keep them. Now I know this recipe sounds a bit weird but it tasted quite nice. For my stir fry Liver and Onions I used:-

About 250gr Lambs Liver
    Half Large White Onion
    2 Carrots
    2 Sticks Celery
    1 Pkt Fresh Peas
    Soy Sauce
    Mixed Herbs & Spices
    Noodles (Enough for 2)
    EV Olive Oil for frying
    Seasoning

Basically all I did was slice up the liver into smallish chunks, chop the onion, carrots, celery and stir fried this all together in a little EV olive Oil with the herbs and spices until the liver was cooked but still tender (I find if you overcook liver it goes a bit chewy and tough). I then added some soy sauce to this and let it sit on a low heat. Then I boiled the peas for about 3 minutes and added the noodles to this, allowing them to cook as per packet. After draining the noodles and peas I mixed eveything together and seasoned it.

DH said he liked it so that's good enough for me and another cheap dinner!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • oligeo
    i've gone way over my budget, so I would like to set FEBRUARY AT 400 please Thank you
    • Kiwisaver
    • By Kiwisaver 27th Jan 09, 5:23 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 10,807 Thanks
    Kiwisaver
    Started my February a little earlier than I should with rather a large shop tonight, to top up the rather meagre spends we've had over the past couple of months. Febuary budget of $600 allowing myself some extra spends for imminent arrival of family from the UK. and hence the short rations for January.

Still gonna be hard to guage and contain this, as a lot will depend on days out, weather, picnics, whether we eat in or out etc. However, I am going to do my utmost to contain any wild overspending by having 'something I prepared earlier' to stop visitors leading us astray with impromptu stops for lunches and snacks whilst we are out and about. Also family have some 'special needs', basically they are fussy (when they want to be). :rolleyes: They say they don't eat this or that, one diabetic and one migraine sufferer on special 'diets', must have decaf tea and coffee, Special K etc.. They say 'Don't worry about us, we don't eat much.' Yeah, right! Funny that nothing ever gets refused when offered. One is a human dustbin with hollow legs, so no chance of any leftovers and nothing will go to waste.

So I have made a good start, my freezer tonight is fit to burst, overloaded and I've made a head start on piling up on some of the special needs for visitors (large box Special K, decaf coffee and tea), six pack of bottled water for picnics, big tins tuna for sarnies. Plus also got lunchbox bits for ourselves for the next two weeks. So far so good!

Now all I have to do is stay out of the shops for the next 8 days.
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 27th Jan 09, 6:31 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    Hi all! We don't have a farmfoods closer than 35 miles away, and i really can't justify going there for milk!!

Mrs McCawber - what xmas presents are you making? I'm very interested as that sounds dead organised?!

NSD today - yeah!! - first of my Feb GC so far (started on 23rd).

Sharronej - I feel for you with the family credit. I'm waiting to hear what's going to happen with mine. What with my "D"H lowering his payments to me, I'm dreading that going down too. Sometimes it feels that I'm on the wrong end of luck!!

Still, I try to believe that we make our own luck, and GC is certainly helping me in that regard on the money front, as I'm sure i've been averaging over 200 a month for a while. Ridiculous really, as I have a massive pantry FULL of stuff! And, until recently, my 2nd freezer! That's still my March plan, to refill it...

Good luck those still on Jan - do you have "What can I make with what I've got" syndrome?!?!
    x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    I have realised that when the press talk about people being addicted to shopping that it can actually include your food shopping! I think this may be the reason why we still go out and buy food when we have loads in! Good luck with your family credit!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Another NSD on the food front for me today -but I am popping to the garden centre (its only about 5mins walk away) Im only really looking at seed potatoes (famous last words )

Dinner tonight is pasta bake using up more roast tomatoes n veggies I grew and froze last year , whoopsed goats cheese and HM cheeses sauce from the freezer and salami etc from the fridge

Im going to have a bash at the spinach n goats cheese soup -will post a recipe if it comes out OK (must remember what I throw in )

thanks for the coments on the bag .... but it was sooooo simple ..I didn't think I would get on with the wool as it has metalic threads and tufts of wool hanging off it -but I loved it..and the knitting bit only took a couple of days ...I loved doing it so much I have more wool so I can make them to sell (well try) to make more money for our local hospice back home
    right enough waffle -off for a cuppa and then to the garden centre

have a great day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 27th Jan 09, 6:45 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    MrsM that bag looks gorgeous, only wish I had any sort of skill in that area at all :rolleyes: how great it must be to be able to make stuff, I can only just about sew on a button!!!

Thinking reading these posts that I might need to get a remoska they sound fab!!

well done all, it sounds like a lot of really great penny pinching has gone on in January, my month doesn't finish till 31st but good luck to all who have started Feb
    Originally posted by orchid-96
    Before you do have a look in Wilkinsons, they have one that looks the same for 17.00. I'm going to splash out on one mainly because I believe they are cery economical to run and apparantly the gas cooker is expensive? Advice please
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 27th Jan 09, 6:50 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    Morning all

Another NSD on the food front for me today -but I am popping to the garden centre (its only about 5mins walk away) Im only really looking at seed potatoes (famous last words )

Dinner tonight is pasta bake using up more roast tomatoes n veggies I grew and froze last year , whoopsed goats cheese and HM cheeses sauce from the freezer and salami etc from the fridge

Im going to have a bash at the spinach n goats cheese soup -will post a recipe if it comes out OK (must remember what I throw in )

thanks for the coments on the bag .... but it was sooooo simple ..I didn't think I would get on with the wool as it has metalic threads and tufts of wool hanging off it -but I loved it..and the knitting bit only took a couple of days ...I loved doing it so much I have more wool so I can make them to sell (well try) to make more money for our local hospice back home
    right enough waffle -off for a cuppa and then to the garden centre

have a great day everyone
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Could you not sell them on here? Are you allowed to do that? You could always put them up for sale after you have made them, that way you wouldn't get stressed by having too many to do!
  • scotsaver
    Morning everyone - MRSMC - great minds think alike, I'm also off to the Garden Centre today, "ONLY" buying canes to grow my Runner Beans, found a design in book where you make a row of tepees and then have a supporting cane across the top and then strings all the way along and down. A friend of mine says his Dad used to take 2 days constructing theirs:confused: , certainly hope mine doesn't take that long. Just hope I get a good return for all the effort.

Also planning to grow some Peas, am I right in thinking that they just need twigs to support them?:confused:

I promise not to be tempted to buy anything else at the Garden Centre as I've already got my Seed Potatoes and 26 different veg/salad leaves seed packets!! They didn't cost a lot to buy and I'm hoping that over the months this will save us loads on our Grocery Budget, this will be the first year that I'm aiming to grow all year round so "green" fingers crossed.

Off now to bung everything in the SC for tonights Lamb Tagine, never made it in there before as I've only recently bought the SC, if it turns out OK then I'll post the recipe later. Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,036Posts Today

8,100Users online

Martin's Twitter