Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    catherineblack
    what can i do with left over egg yolks?!?
    • 21st Dec 04, 10:07 PM
    what can i do with left over egg yolks?!? 21st Dec 04 at 10:07 PM
    Hello all,
    I'll be doing my Christmas baking this week - yum...and I'm going to use lots of egg whites for different recipes - but will have lots of left over yolks. I hate just chucking them out and would like to use them in a recipe, so does anyone have a suggestion?? My mum thought perhaps lemon curd would be good to use them up - but all the recipes we have use whole eggs.
    Any other yummy yolk ideas would be greatfully received - I'm trying my best to squeeze my shopping budget down and don't want to waste precious food!
    cheers and enjoy the festive season!
    Catherine
Page 1
  • Squidgy
    • 21st Dec 04, 10:28 PM
    Re: what can i do with left over egg yolks?!?
    • 21st Dec 04, 10:28 PM
    You could try making fresh custard for your yummy puddings, I'm sure that uses egg yolks
  • catherineblack
    • 21st Dec 04, 10:35 PM
    • 21st Dec 04, 10:35 PM
    thanks! custard would be great, a nice winter warmer.
    cheers!
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 22nd Dec 04, 4:09 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    • 22nd Dec 04, 4:09 AM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 4:09 AM
    Whisk egg yolks and freeze them in ice cube trays, then you always have some handy when you need them. To keep them stable you either have to add salt or sugar before freezing. 1/8 tsp salt to 4 egg yolks or 1/2 tsp sugar. Remember and label as to whether yolks will be for sweet or savoury dishes!

Use for binding stuffing ingredients.

Mix with left mashed over potato, and make into little patties and fry. Try varying this by adding grated cheese and/or cooked veg. Or make into potato croquettes, dipped in breadcrumbs and shallow fried or baked in oven.

Duchesse potatoes - add about 3 egg yolks to approx 1 1/2 lb mashed potatoes with some butter/marg. Place into piping bag. Pipe in small swirly circles (sort of thing) onto baking tray, brush with extra egg yolk and bake in hot oven for about 10 mins until golden brown.

Use for making home made mayonnaise, or hollandaise sauce.

Use for dipping food in when coating with breadcrumbs.

My version of broccolli and tomato flan, when M&S years ago changed their recipe to using more common egg quiche recipe - nothing wrong with it, I just loved the older version better. Obviously you can try other veggies rather than broccolli.

Shortcrust pastry - line flan dish, !!!!! with fork and bake blind for about 5 mins or so.
    Home made thick tomato sauce, or use from jar.
    Broccolli florets steamed, drained and cut into small pieces.
    Approx 1/2 pint thick white sauce - allow to cool slightly. Then beat in 2 egg yolks & approx 2 oz. grated cheese (optional)

Spread tomato sauce onto flan base, cover with broccolli florets. Top with white sauce mix and bake in oven for 25-30 mins gas mark 6. Allow to sit for good 5 mins before serving. Nice with baby potatoes, or cold served with salad.

• Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 22nd Dec 04, 9:35 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 22nd Dec 04, 9:35 AM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 9:35 AM
    You can use extra egg yolks in quiche - i make 2 x 9" at a time and use 1 egg and 3 yolks and then make meringues (I have hens so egg management is big here ;D). Yorkishire puddings - I use 6 eggs instead of 2 - they're climbing out of the oven when cooked! You could just use 2 eggs and add yolks. Same with cakes, ommelettes, scrambled eggs etc. - extra yolk won't hurt.

Before I had hens, I always thought it a waste of an egg when it said "glaze with beaten egg", now it's different. Egg yolk with a little water will do this.

• Squidgy
    • 22nd Dec 04, 1:40 PM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 1:40 PM
    What about some mayo? I think that's made with egg yolks?
  • Fionnuala
    • 22nd Dec 04, 1:57 PM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 1:57 PM
    Somewhere on another thread someone mentioned egg yolk is a good hair conditioner. So you could just bung it on your head! ;D
  • catherineblack
    • 22nd Dec 04, 4:14 PM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 4:14 PM
    thanks for all your tips! i think i may try out a quiche recipe - as the old man prefers savoury to sweet foods :P...but then again - I may just use the yolks on my hair - because I'm worth it!!

have a great Christmas!
    Catherine :-*
    • By 16011996 22nd Dec 04, 7:02 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 22nd Dec 04, 7:02 PM
    • 22nd Dec 04, 7:02 PM
    egg yolks are good for conditioning hair, just rub in leave for 5 mins and rinse under cool water (or else it scrambles, and takes forever to pick out.)
  • nabowla
    When I have spare egg yolks, I often use my grandmother's recipe for Gold Cake:

3/4 cup sugar
    3oz butter
    3 egg yolks
    1/2 cup milk
    1 1/2 cups SR flour
    Lemon essence

Beat butter and sugar to cream. Add egg yolks (well beaten), then milk and essence, then flour. Bake in moderate oven for 35 min.
    • jazzyjustlaw
    • By jazzyjustlaw 19th Aug 05, 7:37 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 1,889 Thanks
    jazzyjustlaw
    6 yolks
    I have just made Meringues yum yum - in oven - cant wait. But as I have used 6 egg whites I need to know what I can do with the 6 yolks. Any ideas guys?
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.2.00 savers club - 20.00 saved and banked (got a 2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • beezy
    you could make home-made Custard
    600ml (1 pint) Milk
    6-8 Egg yolks
    50g (2 oz) Sugar
    1-2 Vanilla pods

Split the vanilla pods lengthways scraping out the sticky seeds.
    Bring the milk almost to the boil, remove from the heat and add the vanilla seeds and pod(s).
    Allow to stand for 15 minutes to allow the vanilla to infuse the milk.
    Place the egg yolks, sugar and in a bowl, beat until thick and creamy.
    Remove the vanilla pod(s) from the milk and slowly beat into the egg mixture.
    Place in a heavy based saucepan and cook over a low to medium heat (do not allow to boil) , stirring constantly, until the custard thickens. (If the custard becomes lumpy strain)
    Serve hot or cold.
    • elona
    • By elona 19th Aug 05, 7:52 PM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    Home made ice cream - freeze the custard.

Add an egg yolk for extra rich pastry.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 19th Aug 05, 9:18 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 49,549 Thanks
    maryb
    I'm having a big family lunch this weekend and I'm making raspberry pavlova (egg whites) and coronation chicken (egg yolks for the mayonnaise)

great partnership
    • Swan
    • By Swan 19th Aug 05, 9:55 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    I usually make 'Key' Lime Pie when I've made meringues

(I have to confess I lost my original recipe & this is the closest I've found)

Key Lime Pie

this is a recipe for "real" Key Lime pie, it should not be green and it does not have a soft "pudding" texture. the filling gets its pale yellow color from the egg yolks that are the main ingredient, & the texture is a "firm custard", be careful that you don't over-bake the pie or it will be "rubbery". for best results use fresh Limes, not bottled juice. this is a very simple recipe and only takes a few minutes to prepare and 12 minutes to bake.

16 digestives crushed
    3 tablespoons sugar
    4oz margerine or butter
    4 large or extra large egg yolks (could mean 6 medium )
    1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
    4 fl oz fresh lime juice
    2 teaspoons grated lime peel, green portion only
    Whipping cream for garnish (optional)

mix the digestives, sugar & butter & press them into a 9" pie plate. bake in a preheated 350F oven for 10 - 12 minutes until lightly browned. place on a rack to cool
    use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks until they're thick and turn to a light yellow, don't over mix. turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk. turn speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. once the juice is incorporated add the other half of the juice and the zest, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds). pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350F for 12 minutes to set the yolks
    Last edited by Swan; 19-08-2005 at 10:10 PM.
  • competitionscafe
    Zabaglione , yum, yum (Italian dessert made of egg yolks, sugar and Marsala wine and served warm)

Ingredients
    4 egg yolks
    4 tbsp caster sugar
    marsala wine

Method
    1. Put the egg yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl and whisk with an electric hand-held beater until pale and thick. Add 4 half egg shells of marsala and sit the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the water doesn't touch the base of the bowl.
    2. Continue whisking until the mixture is pale and very foamy and has increased dramatically in volume - this will take at least 10 minutes.
    3. Ladle into glasses and serve immediately.

More suggestions and recipes for left over egg yolks here:
    http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/leftovereggyolks.htm
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • AussieLass
    If your feeling lazy and if you have a dog, you can give them the yolk with a bit of milk. It's really great for their coat, makes it shiny and healthly.
  • tootles
    As long as you do not have young children you can make the egg yolks into mayonnaise,

Put them in a bowl and add about half a teaspoon of mustard, whisk with an electric mixer and gradually add a good quaility olive oil, it will go very thick and creamy looking, if it gets too thick add just a little hot water, only a few drops to slacken it a bit, then whisk in salt and pepper and vinegar to taste, take it slowly adding the oil as its very easy for it to split and seperate, make sure you have wisked in the oil well before adding the next lot. Caanot remember the exact amounts but think two egg yolks will take in about 10 fluid ozs of oil

If you are unsure just use two egg yolks to start with and put the others in a bowl cover with a litlle water and put in the fridge, when you want to use them drain the water off and use as you want.
    • By 16011996 22nd Aug 05, 11:00 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    they are also excellent rubbed in your hair (when damp) as an intensive conditioner. rinse off after 20 mins with luke warm water, or else they scramble!!
    • pol
    • By pol 22nd Aug 05, 5:15 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    You could always freeze them for later. Whisk with either salt or sugar and freeze, making sure they are labelled with which you used.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,300Users online

Martin's Twitter