Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 08, 11:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 08, 11:15 AM
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 08 at 11:15 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2009.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Page 92
  • katholicos
    Yes-you go for it! You have to do what is most economic and what works for you! We all start our challenges at different points in the month and a few people do exactly what you are suggesting-sometimes splitting the purchase over a few months-especially if its costco or somewhere. I also did this with one of my orders-I split it over 2 weeks as I was in same situation as you. That is why Ive now adopted an annual budget-it will even itself out. Just be strict with yourself and keep note of it-not to be forgotten in February.
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland, thanks so much for this advice. I hadn't thought of doing a annual budget but that is a very good idea indeed! I shall think about that when my income is a bit more settled.

Rightio then, i will consider myself still in budget for January and do the Tesco shop and then knock that amount i spend off what i am allowing myself for February. Thanks for helping me make my mind up, your help is very much appreciated!

Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • gillst
    Congratulations Jennybee
  • kj*daisy
    I didn't do a target for the January challenge as Decembers went very badly wrong with Xmas etc.

But i've spent £275 which is £25 under the usual £300 target so am pleased. Actually only spent £265 so far but know will need milk etc later in the week so have £10 set aside for that.
    Grocery challenge July £250

45 asd*/
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 24th Jan 09, 10:16 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    Evening all
    Sitting quietly 'tap tapping'as DH says,trying to work up the energy to get up and go to bed.

Had a hectic day as have made 2 lots of Seville orange marmalade-16 lovely glowing pots waiting to be labelled tomorrow.Had to scrub the hob as the last boiling went everywhere-typical.
    We had interesting meals today as I wanted to use up stuff out of freezer,prawn tom-yum soup with rice noodles for lunch.Tea was seriously out of date salmon fillets from freezer,they really looked awful(freezer burn!),poached added to mashed potatoes,and made lovely fishcakes(well more like gateaux they were so big ) 3 frozen for another day.
    Turkey drumstick for SC lunch tomorrow, quiche of some sort for tea and have put fruit in to soak for barabrith to be made in the morning.

Managed to get 5 loads of washing dry today,very cold and blowy-lovely.
    Just about tidied sitting room up after having had it decorated,looks nice and fresh,tho'not totally convinced about the colour,very pale,but no doubt will look different when the carpet arrives.

DH seems to be much better,but still hasn't been out,think that the course of antibiotics have made him mildly depressed,so won't push too much at moment.The back pain seems less as the cough is improving,I did tell him it was a pulled muscle-but what do I know!

I was paid last Friday,my GC runs from payday to payday,but as we've only spent £148.83 out of £180(and will only need milk) will continue till the 31st,just out of curiosity,then start running from 1st to last of month IYSWIM.

Sorry this has been so long,well done all.
    Night night
    mrss
    Last edited by mrssnowy; 25-01-2009 at 7:02 AM. Reason: miscount
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
    • sharronej
    • By sharronej 25th Jan 09, 6:25 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    sharronej
    I've got a bit of a dilemma now. I just received a Tesco email with a code in it for £10 off my online grocery shop....but i have to order before the 1st Feb...trouble is, i don't have much money left out of current GC for Jan to do a shop. So can i do a shop for Feb this week and take the money off my allotted £280 GC for Feb, rather than add it on to my Jan spends? I know it's cheeky, but i have worked so hard all this month to come in under my Jan £320 GC budget...but i just can't afford to lose £10 off an online shop as it will pay for the delivery cost and some towards grocery's.

What do you all think?

Technically i have enough food right up until 31st Jan so wouldn't be eating the Feb grocery shop anyway. I'd like some advice as this is my first month doing the challenge and i don't know what i should do.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by katholicos
    I would do exactly as you say, just keep the receipt in a different folder/envelope and count it as February before you do order though have a look at the cashback kings website because they are giving cashback for people who are new to their website. I have just saved twenty pounds on my latest order!
  • elsie52
    Hi everyone.

I read this thread quite often and it has given me plenty of ideas for meals etc. So I would like to join please. I have budgeted £160 for FEB. That is to cover food, cleaning materials and toiletries for myself and OH. (Have loads of toiletries from xmas, so shouldn't have to buy much.

June 2010 - 11/56 lbs Weight to lose before May 2011.

• dreamingofmoney
    • By dreamingofmoney 25th Jan 09, 7:43 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 4,753 Thanks
    dreamingofmoney
    Hiya All
    Doing my last big shop of the month today, should only need about £30 worth of shopping so think i am going to come in under budget, i am so excited and can't wait for friday when i declare (not wishing days away or anything ).

All the best to all for feb

Dreamer
    Paying back 1% at a time 79% of total debt paid off.
    No. 82 PAYDBX19 £5794.39/£13000 of debt paid from this years goal 44.6%
    Hfax loan, Bcard £288/£5852.07 4.9%, Lloyd’s £200/£592.99 33.7%
    Original debt free date Mar 2020. New date Jul 2019
  • orchid-96
    Yesterday was meant to be a nsd but I had to go to value save as dh wanted me to get some soy sauce (didn't have any but ended up with a few other bits) spent around £3 plus dh spent a further £1 on a pepper for last nights chinese....I was really pleased as It worked out £9 for all the food for 4 adults and ds and included a thai green chicken curry, chicken black bean, sweet and sour stir fry veg, egg fried rice, noodles and veg spring rolls and prawn crackers to start and it was all really nice and much fresher/tastier than a takeout.....(only thing I was annoyed about was a whole £1 for a pepper but it had to come from spar and did make the dish)..

Have got leftovers for dh lunch today...going to be a casserole from the freezer with green beans and spuds for dinner today as I forgot to get the chicken out last nigh :rolleyes:

Have a great day all, I am planning a really lazy one today, its dh's turn for the lie in, but I am going back to bed when he gets up
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
  • huxley
    congratulations JennyBee
    nsd yesterday but came home with a piece of cheese from my dad and got my tray of eggs from somone I trade with at my local LETS scheme so no cash . A friend dropped off some sausages that her lot wont eat so they are currently in the oven, some for breakfast,some for sausage casserole and a couple left out to make meat balls. The chicken is roasting and everyone else is having a lie in so peaceful until they smell food! Weather is yuck so we wont be going to try and clear allotment but on the plus the free greenhouse is up so can start some veg seedlings . Should be a nsd off now to decide on what to do for pudding today and what cake to make,tea and cake is a 4 o'clock ritual here on a sunday mil always comes for sunday lunch 2pm then cake at 4, dont mind realy its nice that she gets time with us all. Have a good day what ever you are doing
  • MRSMCAWBER
    February

annual
    Mrsmcawber €1680 - €92.67
    Orkney star £2500
    Mags50 £3000
    Nykmedia -£1200
    Mummzyof2 £1200
    Mummy2mygirls £3000
    Angelatgraceland £6000
    JennyBee £1440
    mama67 £1820
    Taka £1320
    Savvystudent £1500
    Free in three £2500
    Turbo5019 £2000
    Sylvan £3000

Monthly
    1derwoman
    1463Emma
    3_Cheeky_Princesses
    415Sanfran
    £300
    Aeshna £200
    Alisean221
    Allegra
    Allypops
    Almar
    Always Happy
    £200
    Andrinaperry
    Angelnikki
    Angelraesunshine £400
    Angelwings
    Angie_Baby
    Annie123
    Aril
    Ashia
    AuntiH £400
    Baileys babe £250

BarneysMom
    Beemuzed
    BeenCounting
    Beki
    belfastgirl23 £150
    *Big Bird*
    BigMummaF
    BigSpender2
    BlackBelle
    Booklover
    BrokenWings
    Brummiebabe
    Bullet
    Bunnygirl007
    £220
    Butterfly72
    Butterflybecks
    Candy Girl £130
    Carolt2 £150
    Cashsaver
    CatwomanKent
    CazzieDevil
    Changingme
    Cheapskate
    Cherry Pie

ChocolatePennyFarthing
    ClutteryDrawer
    compingirl
    £400
    Coolmum66
    Cranky40
    CrazyBird
    CrazyHazy
    Cruiksl
    Csainthouse
    CurlyTop
    CW18
    Danksshady
    DavesDaughter
    Dazzle21 £180
    DebtFreeIn2009 €340
    Delaneyjae £100
    Dink1

Dollydealer
    Donnajt
    DreamingofMoney
    £300
    Dumpling £365
    dsljFreeman
    Eagles74
    EC12345
    Efesbaby
    Eliza bunny
    £120
    Elsie52 £160
    Essex-girl
    Ess-Six
    FallenAngelShelly
    £190
    FedupandSkint £50
    Fedupnow
    Fertyskids
    Fiftyeighter
    Findingmyfeet
    FireAngel
    Fizzle81
    FlatEric
    £159.56
    Flubberyzing
    Fluffysox
    £130
    FlyladyFlower
    FlyingScottie81
    FootballManagerWidow
    Frugal Swan
    FunkyDelia
    Gailey
    Galaxy863
    Gillaman
    Gillst
    £200
    GlitterBall £100
    Gloveman
    Goodeys
    Greent
    gtx
    £180
    Guns n banjos
    Halster
    Hamish222 £200
    Hannamint £50
    HappyJazza
    HappyRags
    Hay
    Hayze1980
    Hazel673
    HeidiBoo
    Hgbels
    HiglandFling £150

Hollysan
    Hornet
    Huxley£200

Ifonlyitwaseasier £100
    Igiveup
    Inamess200
    £250
    Indebted £300
    Isthatreduced
    Iwanttogoonholiday
    IZoomZoom
    jackiegibbo £220
    Jackie
    £40
    Jackie W
    Jane2112
    Jayne
    £250
    Jaycee1972 £150
    JayJay14 £140
    Jinky67
    jtb2412 £280
    JulieJim
    JulieMK
    £120
    Justpeyton4now
    KAAT_LADY
    Kalojac £280
    Katholicos
    £280
    Kayharcombe £300
    KeepingPositive
    Keld
    Kunekune £410
    Kessik
    Kindlesgirl
    Kippers £300
    KITTY
    Kiwi Blue
    KiwiSaver $600
    Kookgekje £300
    Kulakman
    Ladyroughneck
    Lainz £90
    LauraDora
    Le Foot
    Liberty9515
    Little_Belle
    Lil me
    Little Anna
    £300
    LittleChezza
    LittleEmms £130
    Little_Miss_moneysaver
    Littlemissthrifty
    Lizzieanne
    Lola34
    Loubob £150
    Lucycat
    Lydiaj
    MaisieM
    Mardatha
    Mari
    Marri_Lou
    £90
    Math
    Meanmarie
    Miecherox
    millieJo
    Millionaireinthemaking
    Millyscarlett
    Miserly_mum
    Missimayo
    Miss-Spent
    £220
    Mommyof4 £200
    MoneyFritter
    MoneyMission
    MoneyQueen £80
    Moneysaving Diva
    MoneySavingHornette
    Moniker £275
    Mooloo
    MotherShipton
    Mouseymousey
    Mrsmck
    Mrs Miser
    Mrs Money Penny
    Mrs-MoneyPenny
    MrsMortenHarket
    Mrssnowy
    MSHAWX
    Mummygems
    Mummyofrayne

Last edited by MRSMCAWBER; 28-01-2009 at 8:02 AM.
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Nancy888 £150
    Nats04
    Natzini
    Newlifeahead
    NewlyFrugalMumOf3 £220
    Nickynoo08 £120
    Nigdeb2002
    nimbo
    nmlc £350
    NorthernStar
    Old McDonald
    £140
    Oliego £400
    Orchid-96
    £200
    patent girl
    Penny2myname
    PennyFarthing
    Penny grabber
    £80
    Penny Pincher £200
    PerryWinkle
    Philsmum
    Phoolgrrrl £100
    PinkJen
    PinknFluffy
    PinkPrincess
    *~*pinky*~*
    Pips Mum
    Pip-Squeak
    Pooky
    princess leia
    Procrastinator
    Prophecy-grrl
    Purpleskies
    Puss14
    QOTD
    Queen of string
    Rach
    Rachel021967 £350
    rachelmk
    £160
    Radish72
    Ragstoricheswannabe
    Ragz
    Rainbowchild
    RavyLesley £280
    Reb
    Recovering Spendaholic
    Redmel1621 £340
    Rockie4 £160
    RosieBen
    RumnCoke
    Russet red
    £340
    Saffouri
    Sam010185
    Sarahc44 £250
    SarahSarah
    Sashanut
    Save-a-holic
    SavingforOz
    Savingfortravel
    Savingholmes
    SAVVYMUMMY £350
    SAV3R
    SazzleDazzle £90
    Scip789
    ScotSaver £240
    Searching Me
    £150
    SeptemberBlues
    SexKi11en £300
    Sharronej
    £180
    Shelly1977 £80
    Shelovestobuystuff £250
    Shinulya
    SisterCas
    Sparklymessygirl
    Spendaholic
    Spryte
    Steele
    Stingylolo
    SunnyDay £115
    Sunny Donny
    £175
    Susan946
    S_Wales_Saver
    Sylvan
    Tartanmum
    Teedy23
    TeePoo
    The Bees £340
    thg
    Tigger888
    30Something
    Toonie
    TootiFrooti
    Tracey.32 £150
    Trish123
    Turkolina
    TurnaroundSue £250
    Undercover Angel
    Webitha
    Wendy Witch
    £250
    Winky the house Elf
    WiseOwl
    Wmf
    WornOutMumOfTwo
    yummymummy05
    £220
    Zend £200

Weekly

Bulchy
    Cat_79
    Fatcattaff
    Miss-Spent
    Penny-Pincher
    *redweb*
    ZaraZara

Last edited by MRSMCAWBER; 28-01-2009 at 1:09 PM.
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • longtimelurker
    Have spent £109.26 on shopping/groceries/toiletries this month. Not bad for a 5-weeker!
  • yummymummy05
    YummyMummy - yes please for the recipe for SC kidney recipe!
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    Steak and Kidney stew/pie filling
    (for 3.5l slow cooker)

0.5lb Shin beef/braising beef
    0.5lb kidney (about 1-2 whole ones)
    100g plain flour
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 large onion
    2 carrots
    1 small swede
    1 leek
    600ml stock (if using cubes I only put 2 cubes with this amount of water)
    Cornflour to thicken
    Dumpling mix ( i haven't got round to making my own yet as I have a stash of the mix in my cupboards!)
    1. dice all the veggies and put in SC
    2. peel garlic, sqaush under knife and add to the SC
    3. dice beef and kidney add to a bowl with the flour and coat the meat
    4. add meat to SC cover with stock
    5. leave for at least 8 hours on low (probably only need 6 hours if its for a pie)
    6. about 40 mins before you want to serve it make dumplings (either from a packet - about 50p - or i think there is a recipe on here)
    7. turn heat up to high and put the dumplings in the stew for 30 mins turning over after 15 mins serve dumplings first then add cornflour if you need to thicken the gravy
    Obviously leave out the dumplings if making a pie.

This is the first time I've written down the recipe so I hope it's easy to follow!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
    • procrastinator
    • By procrastinator 25th Jan 09, 9:19 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    procrastinator
    Just bought bread and milk yesterday, had bought a new load Friday and it was gone by Sat morn, just 2 slices left for DS beans at lunch time. I think he is the main bread eater at the moment at 15 he is on a definate growth spurt. We only buy wholemeal and I have never had any sucess with making it myself so rely on shop bought, do any of you home bakers make wholemeal and how is it? Is it very dense? DH picked up a fresh bagette on way home which we had with the SC soup, don't mind this but sliced must be wholemeal. My month will end Jan 31 so still 6 days to go but I will be well under thank heavens.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
  • yummymummy05
    Went to the village yesterday and spent £7.88 - am very tight for feb (monthly shop was too big!!)and determined to do my best to come in on budget so I've mealplanned for the next 4 weeks and should just about do it (although £10pw isn't very much) I do have contingency though as I set aside £60 for dd's nappies etc but only needed to spend less than £30!!

Just going to update my sig.
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • orchid-96
    will keep my tesco shop for tomorrow as it has some good offers in etc. should come in at around £30 (max including delvy) so will hopefully will just about make it in budget. I am pleased as I have really kept everything in (like the mcdonalds for the kids yesterday, don't do that very often)...

Looking forward to the Feb challenge, will be going into it with quite a bit in stock which is good.....
    Jun GC £250.00/£12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 25th Jan 09, 10:25 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    I'm pretty well stocked up after the stockpiling purchases this month but have been debating about one major issue - MILK! I use mostly powdered milk for cooking but we like fresh milk for cereal, however, it costs £1.07 for a litre carton from our nearest shop and, despite liking the theory of supporting local small businesses, it is impossible to do so. Now I am wondering what's the most expensive litre of milk available? (Cow's milk, whole or semi-skimmed.) Anyone?
    Originally posted by nykmedia
    We are lucky, our local milk costs 75p-90p/L (cheaper in Coop/Tesco, more expensive in local shops) or £1.39-£1.59/2L and approx £1.89/3L. I try to get the local stuff although sometimes also get Lidl milk which is £1.49/2.272L. In case anyone does not know, this is in Orkney.
    I was surprised to find our local milk works out cheaper than the milk my mum buys from the supermarket (in Lanarkshire), perhaps it is because it travels less miles ?
    £1.07 for 1L is expensive though .
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 25-01-2009 at 10:30 AM.
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 25th Jan 09, 10:38 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi Peeps

I`ve done the last of my shopping until next Sunday and i would like to declare Januarys total at £119.97p please MrsM.

I`m chuffed to bits as i bought allsorts of extras this month because of the offers that were on.

Februarys amount for the GC will be £115 for me please MrsM, i was going to try for less but we shall need two sacks of dogfood instead of one as the 2nd sack is a different kind that we mix in to the main feed so it lasts a lot longer than the main IYKWIM.

The freezer has gone down a little bit so i shall try and get a full shelf empty over the next month. forward planning really for when the weather gets nicer and we can get free food to save hopefully the freezer will be emptied and refilled by the summers end.

Good luck peeps.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • huxley
    415SanFran"I also bought a load of seeds from wilkinsons, fruit bushes and the like and sprouts, sweetcorn zucchini, tomato. Not sure wether or not to put that into the food allowance as it is "going" to be food hopefully.
    what do others do about this?"

Hi I normally include these in the food budget, but as I harvest them (hopefully ) put a few pennies in a pot as if I was buying them (cheap of course ) then this fund helps pay for seeds /compost /pots or maybe a little tipple to drink in the garden surrounded by your living larder in the summer
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 25th Jan 09, 11:32 AM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    We only buy wholemeal and I have never had any sucess with making it myself so rely on shop bought, do any of you home bakers make wholemeal and how is it? Is it very dense?
    Originally posted by procrastinator
    Try mixing some white flour in,up to half and it will lighten it quite a lot.Then gradually reduce till you find the combination you like.

That's what I did when the children were still at home,can't fool DH though!
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,652Posts Today

8,741Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin