Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 08, 11:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 08, 11:15 AM
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 08 at 11:15 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2009.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Page 75
    • queen of string
    • By queen of string 19th Jan 09, 8:53 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 3,879 Thanks
    queen of string
    Well I am busted for the month and it's going to get worse. There's 53 of eating out not helping and a stupid 20 in M+S. I have a very special visitor all next week and thats going to be expensive. I guess I'll just have to live with it and maybe have a store cupboard month next month. There's masses in the cupboard. Pleased in one way though, putting the eating out through the grocery money has given me a much more realisitic food spend.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • katholicos
    I've done another 3 no spend days including today so i think i might just make the 71 i have left, streatch out to the 31st of January, but then i do need to do an online shop sometime this week so we'll see how it goes. I just made a hm pizza (cheated using 2 x tesco packet mixes for the base actually) and i am now off to make a couple of batches of twinks hm hobnobs. Can't wait to eat one or 6 with a well deserved cuppa tea later
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • mookybargirl
    • By mookybargirl 19th Jan 09, 9:19 AM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    mookybargirl
    Just checking in. Not keeping up with all the posts as there's just so much. lol. Thanks to the poster who mentioned the beans at Mr M's. I got a few packs at 75p. What a bargain! I'm living out of cupcoards this month and only needed a few bits here and there, as managed to find enough meals to get us to the end of the month from freezer and cupboards. We're getting by, but my list for Feb is getting bigger all the time (soap powder, shower & shaving gel for OH, both running low, tea etc), so Feb we'll have bare cupboards and lots of essentials to buy! :rolleyes: Hope everyone else is managing to get by.
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
  • mumzyof2
    I just recieved a leaflet offering me a free lurpak lighter spreadable up to value of 1.40 did anyone else get one of there?
    Last edited by mumzyof2; 19-01-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
    • Essex-girl
    • By Essex-girl 19th Jan 09, 10:00 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 46,632 Thanks
    Essex-girl
    I have just updated my sig as Tesco's delivery has just come. Am shocked to find that have spent 114 over the last 7 days.

I think it is the little trips to the local shop which have caused this so will be avoiding it as much as possible until feb.

Have got loads in so should really get away with milk, fresh fruit & veg till the eom.

Didnt help that last weeks menu plan went up the wall - gonna do better this week!
  • elizabunny
    Morning All! I'm still trying to hang on to my last little bit of January's budget, but it's getting tougher as I'm beginning to run out of lots of bits. Anyway, hoping to stretch to another NSD today (2 in a row).

I'm making a beef and root veg. curry in the slo-cooker today. I've really got to stre..t..ch the beef and I want to make 4 portions if possible so that I can freeze 2. So I thought if I cook it really slowly, hopefully some of the meat juice will add a bit of flavour to all the veggies I've put in. I'm using:-

400gm Braising Steak cut into quite big chunks
    2 Onions Sliced
    2 Sticks Celery Chopped
    2 Cloves Garlic finely sliced
    3 Carrots Sliced
    Quarter Swede diced
    Quarter Celeriac diced
    2 Tbs. Tomato Paste
    Quarter tsp. dried Chilli (Makes it quite hot)
    Quarter tsp Cumin Seeds
    1 tsp. Dried Oregano
    1 tsp Medium Curry Powder
    Pinch Cayenne Pepper
    Grind of Black Pepper
    Grating of root Ginger
    Just over 1 pint of water

I will cook this in my slo-cooker on high for about 8 hours and then thicken up some of the stock with veg. gravy granules. I'm going to serve this with plain boiled rice. In a way, I'm hoping for too much stock -you sometimes get this in the slo-cooker and then I can reserve some to make some sort of lentil soup for tomorrow.

Also hoping to batch bake some fruit cake -mostly made in a saucepan, http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A830341 it's so nice and easy. DH likes to take a slice of this in his packed lunch and it works out so much cheaper then those expensive lunch box bars -and it tastes really yummy too.

Everyone is doing so well -not long now until the start of a new month
    Last edited by elizabunny; 19-01-2009 at 5:36 PM.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 19th Jan 09, 10:27 AM
    • 2,498 Posts
    • 12,909 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Update
    My meal plan for the coming week is:

Sunday
    Lunch HM soup, HM bread, cheese, pickles, fruit
    Dinner Roast Goose/toad in the whole for nephew who won't eat roast meat/gravy dinner :confused: carrot & swede mash, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, roast jerusalm artichokes, roast onion, stuffing, steamed cabbage, gravy. Followed by Christmas pudding or profiteroles (We delayed our Christmas dinner as the majority of us very ill at Christmas)
    Monday
    Lunch Fish finger sandwiches, fruit
    Dinner Sausage meat pie, baked beans, saute potatoes or bread
    Tuesday
    Dinner Veg Korma & rice
    Wednesday
    Dinner Vegetable lasagna
    Thursday
    Dinner Leek & potato bake
    Friday
    Dinner going out for a meal, DP's work do, partners invited also free menu looks good

Lunch Tuesday-Friday HM soup, HM bread, cheese & fruit

We also have 2 varieties of HM biscuits, HM brownies (made by DP's mum), yoghurts, fruit & planning to make cuppa tea cake (DS's favouite) to fill any gaps.
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe
    I will have to ammend my meal plan to taking into account the left overs from yesterdays Goose.
    Monday: Cold goose, carrot & swede mash, roast veg, Christmas pudding & brandy sauce.
    Tuesday: See above
    Wednesday: Sausage meat pie, baked beans, saute potatoes or bread
    Thursday: Vegetable lasagna

The leek & potatoe bake will be differed until another week. Hoping to make as much of this weeks meals as possible today.
  • mumzyof2
    Does anyone have a good savory mince recipe? and what do i serve savory mince with? i have no potatoes.
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far 27.67, Live off 4k Spent 330.20 GC 1,200 for 2009 Spent 50.78 PaD so far 650.07
    Debts: L/woods 154.00 C/One PAID O/D 649.90 Next 299.95 O/D PAID Gas 72.60 Electric 155.73 Mum 640.00 Orange 490.32
  • Free in Three
    Morning All

Just popped in to update my signature. 31.13 spent this weekend in Mr S mainly on F&V and dairy. Have decided not to shop at farm shop on a weekly basis as I end up spending more than my budget and we need more types of fruit than they stock. Will possibly go once every month to 6 weeks when I need a sack of spuds and meat for OH.

Made 15 portions of soup this week for this weeks lunches and the freezer, 10 were tom & lentil with all the ingredients coming out of the stores.

We will be eating a lot of stuff out of the freezer this week, supplemented with fresh veg and lots of fruit. Veg hotpot, sausage casserole, shepherds pie and spag bol are looking likely but it will make some space in my freezer for more batch cooking in Feb. I must update my freezer inventory. I found loads of stuff I thought we had used when I was moving stuff around to fit the soup in.

Picked up my mums old fridge freezer at the weekend. Now I need to get a quote for getting leccy put in the garage so I can start using it.

Free x
    Annual GC 2500/486.79 for 2 adults and 2 dogs
    Savings Target 2009 Lloyds Act 6000/1200 Jars & pig for Christmas and holidays
  • orchid-96
    Just been to Mr T's (only really needed chick peas but also needed petrol and wanted to get out of the house with the twins!)

anyways I also decided to get some pull ups for my girls as they are potty training now (and getting on really well) so I just bought the smallest t's own brand, also got a block of whoopsie cheese, 2 tins chick peas, some kids toothpaste (banana milkshake flavour which will go down welL!) and butter (the reduced clover light) so total was 6.25, but I had a couple of coupons, so came to 5.00 exactly, not too bad as before I would have definitely been putting a lot more in my trolley..

For those who buy chick peas, I spotted some tins in the 'foreign foods' bit at 23p instead of the 40p tesco ones so am givving them a go..

made some twinks hobnobs yesterday and have a question if anyone can help, I was thinking of adding, raisins or choc chips or maybe some coconut to them, would I just throw this in with the dry ingredients?

Hope you are all well today (weather here is awful)

am looking quite good on my spending so far...but I do realise now how strict I need to be as it is just soo easy to top up with stuff I don't need...
    Jun GC 250.00/12.40 NSD 3 / 30

January 200/198.91 February 200/239.28 March 200/230
    April 250/no idea May 250/265.95

Sealed pot challenge number 648
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 19th Jan 09, 11:07 AM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 29,757 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi mummy thats a lot of lurpak ,on savoury mince i just brown mince drain off any fat add chopped onion carrot maybe some baked beans...add water and gravy granules....i serve it with rice or cous cous or frozen chips or mash...oh and a tablespoon of tomato puree keeps the mince brown in stead of a bit grey iykwim.....i found a bargain i think today...in f@rmfoods they do 750g of frozen veg for 39p.....i saw sweetcorn diced carrot diced swede (seperate) mixeg veg and a couple of others that iv forgotten....i got the sweetcorn and will say if its any good....i prefer fresh but its good to have in if all else has failed....eliza bunny that curry sounds nice im going to give that a go......have a nice day tess
  • mumzyof2
    hi mummy thats a lot of lurpak ,on savoury mince i just brown mince drain off any fat add chopped onion carrot maybe some baked beans...add water and gravy granules....i serve it with rice or cous cous or frozen chips or mash...oh and a tablespoon of tomato puree keeps the mince brown in stead of a bit grey iykwim.....i found a bargain i think today...in f@rmfoods they do 750g of frozen veg for 39p.....i saw sweetcorn diced carrot diced swede (seperate) mixeg veg and a couple of others that iv forgotten....i got the sweetcorn and will say if its any good....i prefer fresh but its good to have in if all else has failed....eliza bunny that curry sounds nice im going to give that a go......have a nice day tess
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I have changed it now..my shift key didnt work lol. Thanks for the recipe. I will try it tonight, Yup i think you got a bargain too...May have a nosey in FFoods tomorrow on way home from college.
  • mummy2mygirls
    hello everyone well i poped to Aldi this morning to get there fruit and veg deals i spent 14 something (will update sig in a bit when i get the receipt out!!
    Did get a fair bit for this so im happy! The potatoes deal is great a 5kg bag for 49p!! I had to get two ofcourse!! Also got lots of fruit juice for me as i cant stop drinking it at the moe....

Anyway will update sig in a bit hope your all having a good day
    GC: Nov: 60.22/450 Oct: 338.48/450, July: 363.05/450, June 447.98/500
    2 savers No68: 104/100

mummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.
  • SAVVYMUMMY
    Hi there everyone.
    A NSD for me today, DS1 decided to have packed lunch this week, so 10 saved there from the school dinners.
    Made a parsnip soup for lunch today, with whoopsie parsnips I brought yesterday at MrT, put a little HM yog in to make a bit more creamy and needed a little sweetness for afters , so had a piece of HM christmas cake, that`s still lurking about.
    Dinner tonight will be baked spuds, baked beans, cheese, HM coleslaw and salad.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 90/87.41
    week 2 90.00/118.38 week 3 90/60.54week4 90/79.90 week5 45/00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for 400 a month: 451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june 70
  • rosieben
    Does anyone have a good savory mince recipe? and what do i serve savory mince with? i have no potatoes.
    Originally posted by mumzyof2
    Here's a Savoury Mince Recipe or you might find something on the More exciting mince recipes thread
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • miserly_mum
    Well only 12 days left and I still have 140 left so i'm feeling fairly confident(famous last words ) that i'll come in on or below budget.

I've everything in the fridge/cupboards for tonights dinner and enough packed lunch stuff until weds or thurs.

Still loads in the freezer/cupboards/fridge and i'm aiming to avoid going shopping as long as possible this week.

I find paying a few pence more in the corner shop for milk saves me money in the long run as I avoid Asda and the temptation of buying other things I strictly speaking don't need.

Won't need any cleaning or laundry products expect loo rolls thanks to Asda's 2 for a 1 offers on cleaning stuff. Infact I probably have enough fairy liquid and kitchen cleaner to last me half way through next month aswell.
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
    • webitha
    • By webitha 19th Jan 09, 12:27 PM
    • 4,643 Posts
    • 9,573 Thanks
    webitha
    well this is only the second time that ie needed to post on here t pdate my siggy since jan 1st, and today i spend 24:34 in Mr Ms inc loo roll for all 4 of us for the week, got their stewpack so thats all going into the slow cooker tomorrow, and i still got a large chicken in the freezer since dec, so that will get eaten (2 or 3 meals) this week, s andas i still got lotsin this month is turning out to be very cheap.

since i stopped lurking and started to get proactive, i cant believe the amount i have saved i have even hit my target already for 11 NSD, unthinkable this time last year
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

• yummymummy05
    well had a nsd yesterday, had to get some more milk (forgot how much you use in cauli cheese!) and bread. Even bread seems to be more expensive now - I've started buying Whoopsie loaves and freezing them straight away! Spent 2.25 so have gone slightly over budget but only have to last 'til Friday when I get paid and have everything for the week I think!

So I'm gonna declare at 180.72 and my budget for Feb will be 150!

I've decided to take nappies and formula out of the grocery challenge so I get a better idea about actual food costs so that is why the budget is so low. I'm also going from payday to payday so it's just over 4 weeks!!
    Last edited by yummymummy05; 19-01-2009 at 12:44 PM.
    FebGC
    wk1 0/100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total 0/400
  • scotsaver
    Updated my total with spends in Asda this morning, DD1 has FoodTech tomorrow so needed fresh mushrooms, red peppers and I also had to get some more Fruit for Packed Lunches etc so I now only have 3.40 left to last until 27th so I know we will be over budget this month as I still have 3 days of School Dinners to pay for and will need to get more milk before 27th.

On the Plus side, I know before I started the GC I was spending a lot more than this and Ferbuary should be OK as both Freezers are full, have 3 Free Range chickens in there, sausages, diced Pork, mince, leg of lamb etc etc.

Dinner tonight is a Curry using the Beef leftover from yesterday's Roast.

Hope you are all doing well this month, getting close now, enjoy the rest of the day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 19th Jan 09, 1:01 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Afternoon all.
    Just been to Lidl for a few bits, see their bread flour is 75p now!
    Did not buy much from GC budget, approx 13 but this included 2 x 4 pinters (2.27 litres) of full cream milk. Our Jan runs until Wed 28th so still a week and a bit to go, but not planning to buy much. Am quite happy as set myself less than 1/12th of yearly budget for January (well I allocated a potentially avaialble 1/12th but withdrew 1/12th MINUS approx 25 iyswim). Not much left of the cash I withdrew but more than plenty to buy milk (which won't be needed until 27th as have 12 pints, or just over 6L in), and any little thing thats needed. I will declare for final figures on 28th. Well done everyone, and even if you are over, don't pull out, keep counting as it will give you a better idea of where to start next month!
    Cannot remember who asked but I would serve savoury mince with pasta or wedges (although the latter is a no go if no potatoes in!).
    HM quiche and hassleback tatties for tea tonight a la meal plan- here is this weeks meal planning thread for anyone who wants a look
    Cheerio for now.
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 19-01-2009 at 1:05 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,095Posts Today

8,027Users online

Martin's Twitter