Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 13th Mar 06, 6:26 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    £3.99 for all you can eat pizza - bargain? Blog Discussion
    • 13th Mar 06, 6:26 PM
    £3.99 for all you can eat pizza - bargain? Blog Discussion 13th Mar 06 at 6:26 PM
    This is a chat forum discussion on Martin's '£3.99 for all you can eat pizza' blog which you can read here.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-03-2006 at 11:34 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • bingobango
    • 13th Mar 06, 6:30 PM
    • 13th Mar 06, 6:30 PM
    £3.99 for unlimited pizza. Bargain if you ask me.
    • Bossyboots
    • By Bossyboots 13th Mar 06, 7:53 PM
    • 6,554 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    Bossyboots
    • 13th Mar 06, 7:53 PM
    • 13th Mar 06, 7:53 PM
    Martin makes a good point though that the quality of the pizza is definitely lower on the buffet. Also, there is limited choice particularly for vegetarians and at busy times the buffet can frequently be totally empty as it is not replenished fast enough.

In my experience, Pizza Hut is not a place to go during the school holidays unless you are taking your children and don't mind the crush and the long wait to get anything to eat.

Does this pizza buffet replace the pizza and salad buffet does anyone know?
  • zar
    • 13th Mar 06, 7:57 PM
    • 13th Mar 06, 7:57 PM
    I think I'm proud to say that, although my pizza hut visits average at once or twice a year, its been many many years since I ordered anything except tap water to go with my buffet. Do I get my MSE bonus points now?
    There's somewhere you can go and get books to read... for free!
    Rediscover your local library!
    • Amba_Gambla
    • By Amba_Gambla 13th Mar 06, 8:13 PM
    • 11,744 Posts
    • 3,692 Thanks
    Amba_Gambla
    • 13th Mar 06, 8:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 06, 8:13 PM
    for £3.99 you can't go far wrong. A lunch for £3.99, you'd be hard pushed to get a decent sandwich, a bag of crisps and a chocolate bar
    Only fools run rapids, say the Indians, but I know this:
    as long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes and a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run"

Sigurd Olson
  • KizzyK
    • 13th Mar 06, 10:11 PM
    • 13th Mar 06, 10:11 PM
    Martin makes a good point though that the quality of the pizza is definitely lower on the buffet. Also, there is limited choice particularly for vegetarians and at busy times the buffet can frequently be totally empty as it is not replenished fast enough.

Does this pizza buffet replace the pizza and salad buffet does anyone know?
    by Bossyboots

The 3.99 deal is only for the pizza, for salad and pasta is still 5.49.

As an ex employee I can say that the quality is lower. The pizza is cut up in to more pieces so that it goes further (no one likes taking too much in case they are seen as greedy :rolleyes: ) The ďhigh costĒ meat (the chicken) doesnít make an appearance as itís a way to keep the cost down, less cheese is used, the small plates are used and its just a way to use up Ďold stockí in the kitchen (stuff thatís been out of a tin for more than 24 hours)

We couldnít make a new pizza until a pizza had been completely eaten off the buffet table. And as they take 7 minutes to go through the oven it can lead to a lot of waiting around which when you have kids they get full up on fizzy drink.
    The tables in my old restaurant were positioned so that people would have trouble getting up and getting to the buffet table and would just give up. Unfortunately this lead to me not seeing a family who had seated their selves at the back one busy Saturday evening and they didnít get served for 40 minutes (left the restaurant in a huff). But as I pointed out, we ask them to wait for a reason at the front to be seated so we know whoís sitting and where they are.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

• tee pee
    • 13th Mar 06, 10:25 PM
    • 13th Mar 06, 10:25 PM
    I had the buffet last week and £399 seems cheap until you get a drink £1.79 for a soft drink and then I had the salad £5.49 do altogether it wasn't that good a deal £13.00 for our lunch!!
  • Pulse
    • 14th Mar 06, 7:30 AM
    • 14th Mar 06, 7:30 AM
    It certainly doesn't work out cheaper I would say! Although if you fancy pizza, you wont get a much better deal... What I normally do is eat and get no drink at all (or me and the OH share, as its normally so busy they wont notice), then it's ok. If I get no drink, I have a drink in the car, so can drink that
  • kenshaz
    • 14th Mar 06, 8:47 AM
    • 14th Mar 06, 8:47 AM
    It certainly doesn't work out cheaper I would say! Although if you fancy pizza, you wont get a much better deal... What I normally do is eat and get no drink at all (or me and the OH share, as its normally so busy they wont notice), then it's ok. If I get no drink, I have a drink in the car, so can drink that
    by Pulse
    That will be cheap ,but you might as well buy a Pizza from the Supermarket,because it is hardly a relaxing meal,with no refreshment,and sat in the car with a bottle,saving money is fascinating but you have to do it with STYLE
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 14th Mar 06, 9:00 AM
    • 27,790 Posts
    • 118,633 Thanks
    candygirl
    ive had it a few times as as i can only eat the veggie pizzas we always get fresh ones, drink refills and all the salad. i think its a great deal
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Mar 06, 9:07 AM
    • 4,913 Posts
    • 2,872 Thanks
    Lorian
    I don't eat pizza anymore, but I have eaten at Pizza hut lots of time when it used to be all-you-can-eat for £5.99 (weekdays).

There were two types of experience, one where it was quiet, so there was little choice of pizza, topings were limited but you went away thinking it was reasonable value for money. The second was when you went and it was busy and there was always a wait to get pizza. Very frustrating.

The pasta was almost always truly awful, almost without exception.

As for drinks being expensive, at least regular soft drinks and squash have unlimited free refills, but you have to ask for them!
  • aj3001
    I would choose Deep Pan Pizza over Pizza Hut any day, slighlty more expensive (£5.99) I think, and I cant remember the prices of the drinks, and they aren't refillable but the pizza is nicer, and I like having Oranges and Melons and other fruit in with the salad table, insted of yesturdays lettuce and a few green tomatos as Pizza Hut provides
  • daysleeper
    A little tip I learned from my student friend, don't eat the crusts...that way you dont get so full and have more room for the cheesy bits. Better value for money. We blatently get an extra plate to stack all the crusts on!!!
    • gibby
    • By gibby 15th Mar 06, 12:22 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    gibby
    pizza hut as a company in the US treat the animals very badly - search on the net for further info, only if your not shocked or upset easily

if your looking for a bargain meal then great
    but if you have any ethics many will disagree with you for eating in such places

G
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
  • seatzie
    I'm in Northern Ireland, interestingly I went to Pizza Hut the weekend the ads were on
    "I'll have 2 buffets please"
    "I'm sorry sir buffets only on during the week"
    "But you have a big TV ad campaign on"
    "Ah yes sir, but thats Pizza Hut UK, this is Pizza Hut Ireland"

So lets see, its Northern Ireland, we pay in pounds not euro, we pay taxes to the Inland Revenue not the Revenu Commissioners and everything in Pizza Hut, merchandise wise, boxes, leaflets etc says copyright Pizza Hut UK........

Funnily enough it has put us off going back there for a while
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 15th Mar 06, 9:59 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    golddustmedia
    for £3.99 you can't go far wrong. A lunch for £3.99, you'd be hard pushed to get a decent sandwich, a bag of crisps and a chocolate bar
    by Amba_Gambla
    Unless you get a boots meal deal for £2.49 or £2.99 and even less if you bank a voucher for advantage points. Last time I got 150 points effectively making my lunch 99p.

Also agree about the Pizza hut buffet having poor choice, not wanting to stereotype but there always seems to be a group of 2 or 3 hugely obese single mums plus obnoxious kids that every time a new pizza is put out they jump up and grab as much as they can leaving some obscure naff one left.
    • getgobby
    • By getgobby 15th Mar 06, 10:08 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    getgobby
    I'm in Northern Ireland, interestingly I went to Pizza Hut the weekend the ads were on
    "I'll have 2 buffets please"
    "I'm sorry sir buffets only on during the week"
    "But you have a big TV ad campaign on"
    "Ah yes sir, but thats Pizza Hut UK, this is Pizza Hut Ireland"

So lets see, its Northern Ireland, we pay in pounds not euro, we pay taxes to the Inland Revenue not the Revenu Commissioners and everything in Pizza Hut, merchandise wise, boxes, leaflets etc says copyright Pizza Hut UK........

Funnily enough it has put us off going back there for a while
    by seatzie
    Go back in there and tell the stupid waiter/waitress that Northern Ireland is in the UK!!!! :rolleyes:
    • Rave
    • By Rave 16th Mar 06, 1:46 AM
    • 503 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Rave
    A quick interjection here to say that if there's one 'takeaway' style meal worth making yourself it's Pizza.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=69218 ....and scroll down for recipes.

10p worth of flour, 10p worth of yeast, 5p worth of tomato puree, 50p of mozzarella from Lidl and toppings to taste and you have a meal an order of magnitude tastier than any pizza I've ever bought in the UK. I'd rather eat cold homemade pizza than pay for the 'privilege' of eating in Pizza Hut.
  • katiektk
    Hey

Just a few points, if I may

1. The drinks aren't that expensive if you go for the ones that allow refills
    2. Pizza Hut don't allow bookings (or the local ones here don't) and we have ended up eating elsewhere often because the queue is huge - when the place is that busy, you literally have to fight to grab a slice of the pizza you like... I refuse to resort to that!
    3. The £3.99 price is only if you want 'just pizza' - if you want pasta and salad as well it is more
    4. I agree totally, nothing beats the Dominos pizza and the dip mmmmm

Katie
    • charitygirl
    • By charitygirl 16th Mar 06, 1:31 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    charitygirl
    I had one on Monday. I was there for an hour and a half and got 3 slices of pizza, which were cold and undercooked.

As you can imagine, a complaint letter will be following my visit!

Dominos Full House any day!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,896Posts Today

8,432Users online

Martin's Twitter