Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Dec 08, 11:15 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Dec 08, 11:15 AM
    January 2009 Grocery Challenge 26th Dec 08 at 11:15 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2009.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month and can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-12-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Page 38
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 7th Jan 09, 10:06 AM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 29,614 Thanks
    sashanut
    Happy MS 2009 everyone!
    Hi all
    Been missing from this thread - & computer generally since a meltdown before Christmas . Want to wish everyone a lovely debt-free 2009! Am now back up & running thankfully; not sure of GC budget TBH since I am still working at that 'not just any' expensive supermarket.....been kept on till end of JAN but given the redundancies today don't expect to go on any longer than that. Trouble is the staff shop seems to be permanently closed - which means no cheap food, TBH the main reason for working there!! Just in case they re-open it please put me down for 250 Mrs Mc thank you!

Freezers are groaning with food as I have been stockpiling against my eventual end of contract, just need to buy extras that we don't sell. Bought 'organic cat food topped with carrot puree' as going cheap in staff shop, cats are obviously not that posh as they won't touch it
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : 5500 OD GONE, 2000 OD - GONE 93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 7th Jan 09, 10:12 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Where are all the value range dissapearing to in mrt's:confused: . I normally buy quite a few of them but over the last few months they have almost dwindled to nothing! Somehow i managed to stick within budget even tho i had to buy a fair amount of stuff at a higher price, and not many bargains to be had either.
    Anyhoo i spent 52.10 n i reckon i should have enough to last us the month except milk, bread etc...
    Thanks to everyones comments RE: teabags (sorry i'm terrible at remembering names), i always forget about the 1 shops and home bargains for things like that. Prob coz i try and avoid town at all costs
    I'm still to write my list of meals for my pinboard so will do that tonight or tomoro, but so far this month things seem to be going well. Hope i havent just jinxed myself:rolleyes:
    Off to update sig
    Debt 1 1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
  • JennyBee
    woop woop!!! Signed up to a certain bingo site yesterday to get cashback (spend 10, get 30 cashback...) and just won 13.07 so have won back what I deposited as well! have withdrawn it back into my account and am now going to gloat cos I never win anything like that!!

Anyway, a no spend day for me so far although I am tempted to go to the supermarket because it'll be warmer than my house! I have dug out my ski gear and have on a thermal top, polo neck (luckily big enough to cover bump!), fleece, scarf & gloves!!! Do we think it's nearly time to go and have some soup for lunch? Then I'll have an excuse for huddling round the gas hob!!

Sausages & mash for tea tonight...yum!
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 79.04/150
  • saffouri
    Butterflybecks - your golden syrup should be fine. Last November I finally used up a tin that was dated best before 2000... I can confirm that DH and I are still alive... though I admit I didn't bother scraping the last bits of syrup out of the tin where it had gone a bit black! My new tin looks by comparison ever so nice and shiny.

HTH.

saf
    Last edited by saffouri; 07-01-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: left out a word - brain must still be frozen!
    March GC: 147.75/180 groceries + 36.75/50 meals out

February: 163.19/180 + 66.14/50 monthly budget for eating out Total 229.33/230
    January:
    170.01/170
  • Boodle
    I found toddler groups weren't expensive - you can always offer to help make the coffee or wash up, they're usually free then! Even if they had costed a few pounds I'd have paid, they were worth their weight in gold to me. I didn't know anyone locally, and none of my friends had children when my older ones were little, so they were a great way of getting out of the house, letting the children play and meeting other parents, and often grannies (who gave me all sorts of reassurance and great tips and advice!)
    Originally posted by mummysaver
    Very good points. In fact, the one I take my daughter to is free but is at the library and is the only one I've found that she enjoys - that's why I thought of recommending it. The storytimes are great too for meeting others, and the kids usually get to do crafts or at least some clouring in activity as well. The other groups I tried were just dusty halls dotted with toys and rowdy kids and were 4 a pop Good tip about washing-up, etc, if you come across a good one tho - will keep it in mind!
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 7th Jan 09, 10:52 AM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,323 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Where are all the value range dissapearing to in mrt's:confused: . I normally buy quite a few of them but over the last few months they have almost dwindled to nothing!
    Originally posted by nickynoo08
    I've been noticing this for a while now and am beginning to worry about how to keep the grocery spending under control. :confused: Martin & co recommend down-shifting but they haven't explained what to do once we've downshifted as far as we can go and then the supermarkets withdraw saver/value/smart price ranges.

I was thinking about the whole stockpiling situation after being asked the question, "WHY?" Family & friends cannot see the point in this day and age, so I came up with the following, and it does take some careful consideration: I likened it to the horrendous times suffered by many families during the Foot & Mouth crisis - stuck out in the country with no access to shops because they were literally prisoners within their own homes, forbidden from leaving the farms. There are no supermarket deliveries, as they are not within the delivery area radius. This is the situation many of us could face during the next crisis and it is bound to happen sooner or later, so I'm sticking with my plan of always having powdered milk, long shelf life dry goods, tins and basic cooking essential. It's like war against inflation and impending recession/depression or any other 'ession' you can think of, and it's best to stock up on these things before the supermarkets stop stocking them completley. I'm not banking my spare grocery cash, I'm stockpiling for the long term.

Tonight's dinner will be the second half of the tomato, sausage & bean casserole spiced up with some chilli and served with boiled rice. Tomorrow will be roast turkey dinner - making mental note to take sliced turkey out the freezer, along with a carton of apples for an apple sponge. (Planning for 2 evening meals is as far as my menu planning has got, but I'll keep practicing and hope to get better as the year progresses )
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • mouseymousey99
    • By mouseymousey99 7th Jan 09, 10:59 AM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,870 Thanks
    mouseymousey99
    Must admit I felt a bit 'uncomfortable' about something on another thread somewhere. It was about people buying things when they are BOGOF etc etc - one person was saying how they bought (what seemed to me) to be huge amounts of stuff. I can't help thinking oh god that's so greedy. Talked to OH & he says I have unclear vision of modern life! I agree wholeheartedly re keeping a 'larder' of things, but just seems to me that some people are so greedy?? (Please don't shoot me down - I'm not talking about anyone on here - it was an observation).
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 7th Jan 09, 11:12 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Just spent 6.06 in local grocers, on anti-bac spray, kitchen roll, sandwich bags, bananas and a wee packet of stork. Although it is more expensive than Tesco/Lidl, I can walk down the town, thus saving diesel money (it's a 30 mile round trip), and also I am thinking more and more to support local and only go to Lidl for tinned toms, juice, bread flour, non-perishables like that, and to Tesco/bigger COOP for anything I cannot get in Lidl! There are also good small grocers/butchers in the same town as the big Lidl and Tesco, and sometimes go there too for things.
    I will likely make a trip to Lidl/Tesco (they are right next to each other) this Saturday or next, so will go through the meal plan and work out what non-perishables we are likely to need.
    Signature updated.
    Must admit I felt a bit 'uncomfortable' about something on another thread somewhere. It was about people buying things when they are BOGOF etc etc - one person was saying how they bought (what seemed to me) to be huge amounts of stuff. I can't help thinking oh god that's so greedy. Talked to OH & he says I have unclear vision of modern life! I agree wholeheartedly re keeping a 'larder' of things, but just seems to me that some people are so greedy?? (Please don't shoot me down - I'm not talking about anyone on here - it was an observation).
    Originally posted by mouseymousey99
    I completely agree with the sentiments expressed here. (ETA I have taken away my big explanation- I know what I feel is right or wrong and trust others can make up their own mind on this )
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 07-01-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    • McCalls
    • By McCalls 7th Jan 09, 11:13 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    McCalls
    How about looking on freecycle or ebay for a cheap freezer if you have the room? I've got 2 freezers and it saves me a fortune buying in bulk.

I've found shopping at costco and buying a big pack of chicken breasts, trimming the goujons and a bit more off the breasts, dipping in beaten egg and then rolling in breadcrumbs to make chicken nuggets and freezing those in little sandwich bags.

I buy a big pack of mince for 15 and pop that in the slow cooker with some onion and garlic, stock and then I divide it into three after I've cooked it and add chilli and peppers and baked beans/kidney beans to make a chilli to one , add tomato paste tins of tomatoes and bit of bolognese seasoning to make a bolognese sauce/lasagne filling and then to the last I add oxo cubes and carrots, chopped up potatoes and finely chopped celery and top with mash to do a cottage pie. I then either freeze whole in ovendishes and double wrap in cling or I portion it up in those foil take away boxes you can buy and you have a "ready meal" to pop into the oven to reheat. I've saved so much time doing this as you save cooking from scratch every night and really just need to do some jacket potatoes/pasta or veg to accompany.

I got 16 chicken breasts for 13.50 and make a little slit in half of them and fill with cream cheese/philly cheese with some herbs in or maybe add a slice of onion/tomato and then wrap in some parma style ham from lidl/aldi and freeze those in sandwich bags.

I really think getting another freezer would help

x

With
  • JennyBee

I know a lot of supermarkets have limits on the quantity you can buy at any one time....normally about 3 isn't it? I have to say I've never personally done it as I'm not a huge stockpiler. I'll maybe pick up a couple of extra things if they're a good deal and we're definitely going to use them in the next couple of months. The only thing I do buy a bit more or is things like shampoo/conditioner or toothpaste if I see it at a good price as it's more expensive to start with!

Thinking about it, maybe I don't do it because the supermarkets don't do BOGOFs on their value ranges!!!
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 79.04/150
  • elizabunny
    It just occurred to me as I was eyeing my pot of minced beef and veg. that menu planning really is a must isn't it. My biggest downfall in the past was to not always think about what we were having for dinner that evening because I was too busy and then to rush down to the local supermarket for something quick and expensive or even worse dive into the chippy Nothing wrong with this I know, because a treat is always nice, but it becomes less of a treat when you do it too often and it's also not great for the pocket. I hope all that's changed now though and I wonder how many of us feel quite smug when we cook up our lovely creations for next to nothing and also get to delight in the lovely aroma's coming out of a nicely warm kitchen. My DH always knows when I've got something on the hob or in the oven and says he can smell it as soon as he gets out of the car -hope that's a compliment. Anyway in my Minced Beef with Cobbler Topping today is:-

400gm steak beef minced
    Half a Celeriac diced
    Half a Swede diced (I've run out of carrots)
    10 small potatoes halved
    4 Sticks of celery chopped
    2 Red Onions Sliced
    1 Red Pepper Sliced
    1 Tin chopped tomatoes
    1 Tin of Red Kidney Beans
    6 Cloves of Garlic (quite alot I know but supposed to be good for us)
    1 tsp. each Oregano, Basil, Marjoram (All I had to hand)
    Quarter Tsp. each Cayenne Pepper, Crushed Chilli, Cumin Seeds
    Half tsp. Ground Ginger
    A good few dashes of Worcester Sauce
    About Half Pint of water
    Salt & Pepper to taste

I cook everything together in a pot on the hob until the meat is cooked and the veg. has softened and has reduced. I shall probably thicken the whole lot with oats and then taste it first just to make quite sure it doesn't taste rubbish, before dividing it into portions and then adding the Cobbler Topping.

Any portions that I freeze, I allow the Mince and Veg to cool first before adding the topping as I like to cook the topping only once and I do this when I eventually take it out of the freezer.

The portions that I use today will be baked until the cobbler topping has puffed up and is golden brown.

The link to the recipe for the Cobbler Topping is on this thread at the beginning I think. Sorry I am no good at linking things. But many thanks to the creator of the Cobbler Topping Recipe because it's great and my DH really loves it.

I'm a bit of an anything goes cook as you can probably see by the above recipe and will put in anything I happen to have in stock (within reason of course) but I don't mind experimenting. Anyway it smells ok, but of course the proof will be in the eating. Sorry for waffling Have a good day everyone!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • sazzledazzle
    Popped into tescos this morning on way to work to get tights and then thought it would be good idea to buy pot of coffee for work rather than buying coffee from machine, some cordial to encourgage me to drink more water not buy fizzy drinks, some ready meals for 1 each so got three days lunch at a 1 a day thats good for me as normally spend min of 2, special K as going to have breakfast every day to stop me snacking. Spent 15.88 but should save at least 10 just on not buy coffees at work this month.
    MAY NSD's

• kunekune
    Is your problem with stocking up on BOGOFs, when there are limited numbers available, or with large stockpiles generally? I can see the objection to the first, though I'd imagine most supermarkets have controls of some kind on this. And I don't see how they can say "only people who are struggling financially may buy these". But I'm not sure what's selfish about having a well-stocked fridge, freezer and pantry or what it has to do greed. One reason I do it is because I'm time poor, and I've worked out it's more efficient to shop big and less often. Another is that cooking is my main hobby, and so I have more individual kinds of food than someone who eats to live. Then again, quite often I've found I have huge stocks by accident rather than design - oops bought yet another tin of coconut milk - and I can't see how having 11 tines of baked beans iin my cupboard is depriving anyone else, or keeping prices high.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : 129,600
    Overpayments to date: 3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • wornoutmumoftwo
    I only buy BOGOF is it is something that will last and that I will deffinately use. I did go OTT with the weetabix 2 for 2 offer as I never buy it usually due to cost but stocked up with that one (10 boxes over a week).

We still have two boxes left and I bought them ages ago.
    Payment a day challenge: 236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: 202.09/250
    Frugal Living Challenge: 534.64/15000
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 7th Jan 09, 12:03 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,323 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    I stockpile because I can't just walk to a local shop and get what I need (10 mile round trip to nearest). I don't have a huge income, so I would take advantage of any offers I could get but living in a rural community means less choice. In the long run, we all need to eat and we all need to learn to live within our means to avoid the scurge of debt. How people choose to do that is their own free choice and it's one that we are so lucky to have, especially when other countries appear to have neither freedom nor personal choice. No offence, as this is not meant to be retaliatory, only my personal view
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 07-01-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • mags50
    Hi all
    Thought I better report in
    Feeling quite pleased with myself. My Asda order arrived today, ordered some shampoo etc. from Avon (bargain prices), my freezers are full and my store-cupboard is well stocked....so I think that we will be under budget (crossed fingers) this month.
    I know, I know...we haven't even got through the first week yet ... but here's hoping!

And am I the only one who had the biggest smile when she opened her bag from Asda with the Stardrops in.... yep...I know...sad isn't it??!!!
    A family that eats together, stays together

NSD 50/365
    GC JAN 259.63/400 FEB 346.41/350.00 MAR 212.57/300 APR 1/250
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 7th Jan 09, 12:10 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    It really depends why they do it I think. Look at the wider picture. If you are simply consuming double then it is greedy. If you are being frugal and using it another day then its not. Why spend twice as much money by not buying bogofs? However-I dont really like the whole idea of bogofs as they do encourage overeating. You may also end up with a surplus of stuff you wouldnt normally buy. I much prefer to buy just one item half-price and decide how many I wish to purchase. This idea seems to be catching on with the retailers who are reducing items now and there are less bogofs.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • kayharcombe
    Just a quick update, have spent 55.14 so far on groceries, which is a biggish chunk out of 150 budget for month, but 22.83 was for approved foods, so things that will last a month, still have plenty in pantry and freezer, and really need to reduce stocks so if we move later in the year its easier.

This is a very tight budget for us, trying to get a good head start on 4k challenge, so am not going to worry too much if i go a bit over, i usually spend over 400 so I will be chuffed even if i do go over. It wont usually be this low for 1 adult and 3 kids, just having a storecupboard month
    Frugal living challenge 2010, 7500 budget for 1 adult + 3 kids
    January grocery challenge 150
    • Sylvan
    • By Sylvan 7th Jan 09, 12:55 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Sylvan
    I stockpile because I can't just walk to a local shop and get what I need (10 mile round trip to nearest). I don't have a huge income, so I would take advantage of any offers I could get but living in a rural community means less choice. In the long run, we all need to eat and we all need to learn to live within our means to avoid the scurge of debt. How people choose to do that is their own free choice and it's one that we are so lucky to have, especially when other countries appear to have neither freedom nor personal choice. No offence, as this is not meant to be retaliatory, only my personal view
    Originally posted by nykmedia
    Same here. For the past 25 years or so I've lived at least 20 miles from the nearest shops and for the first 8 years of that I was a single parent working full-time, so I got used to doing a big shop every couple of months. Then there's the need to plan for times when you're snowed in, ill or without transport. And there are so many things we just couldn't afford to eat if we didn't buy them when they were on BOGOF or whoopsied. I can no longer go shopping on my own and I feel guilty making DH do so much, in his half-hour lunch break, when he hates shopping, but I resent the petrol we use if we go out at the weekend almost as much as I resent using the wheelchair - so when I'm feeling good and have strong lads to pack and carry stuff I spend as much time as possible raiding several different stores and I make no excuse for shopping around to harvest the offers from each. For the last month or so we have been in town every week (which is highly unusual) and MrM and Mr A have had a few of my storecupboard staples on offer so we probably have up to 6 months supply of some of those few items now, but we never took so much at a time that there wouldn't be sufficient left for others. (6 months isn't excessive either - DH was ill for longer than that last year so neither of us could drive the distances needed to reach civilisation ("public transport" doesn't exist) and, oddly enough, no-one will deliver to the back of beyond.

Half the time the supermarkets "run out" of things that are on offer within the first day or so and don't get more in for the rest of the offer period. (For instance the Branston Baked Beans at Mr T. The day after the offer started they were "Out of stock at the warehouse" - at several different warehouses...) I'm sure they use this as a ploy to entice people in, without actually having to sell the goods cheaply.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
    • reb
    • By reb 7th Jan 09, 1:00 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    reb
    Just my thoughts!
    hi everyone,

Re hoarding food, have just discovered six packets of dried pasta that I had hidden and forgotten about!!! Hopefully as I become more organised this type of thing will no longer happen.
    Originally posted by highland fling
    I always have loads of pasta in and I sometimes forget to rotate it correctly. I have used pasta that has been years out of date........I'm still here to tell the tale.....I think! Loads of stuff is fine years after the SBD, it's just a legal requirement on all foodstuff.

Someone else was saying that they would rather pay money off their debts than have a store cupboard. You only pay once for a store cupboard....if you rotate it correctly you NEVER chuck anything, you just replace to keep it at that level as you use it. We lost our business a few years ago and had no money coming in for over 4 months. We lived on our store.

I also make jams chutneys in time of plenty and especially if I can use foraged stuff for when we are not so well off.

LONG LIVE THE FOOD STORE! AND FORAGING! LOL!!

I do admit to having to chuck out the sausage meat that I bought at christmas for the same reason as someone else said.......It got left out of the blooming fridge. Aargggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
    I don't get to come on here too often.
    Too buzy money saving!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,026Posts Today

5,911Users online

Martin's Twitter