Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Dizie
    • 2nd Jan 09, 2:59 PM
    • 2nd Jan 09, 2:59 PM
    Are these the couple who used the automated recycling machines and scoured their town for cans? Well done to them! What a great plug for MSE!
    • Miss_Chilli
    • By Miss_Chilli 2nd Jan 09, 6:01 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Miss_Chilli
    • 2nd Jan 09, 6:01 PM
    Tesco Honeymoon Couple
    • 2nd Jan 09, 6:01 PM
    Yes, well done to the couple, you saw an opportunity to get something you really wanted for a really special day. Although by publicising it, a Tesco in Horwich didn't accept clubcards for recycling and they quoted the reason as being because of this couple. I now go to another Tesco to recycle and they seem to allow it, although I'm not sure if Horwich have now relaxed their position since this story first broke.

I can on one hand understand Tesco's position, it might encourage more than normal household recycling, but given that Tesco's are likely to get so much more from selling the plastic, cans etc they shouldn't really penalise people for in effect cleaning up the streets of recyclable items or should limit the amount to a normal household waste?
  • jeninbrighton
    • 5th Jan 09, 1:02 PM
    Honeymooning on Tesco
    • 5th Jan 09, 1:02 PM
    We also went on our honeymoon thanks to Tesco/Airmiles. At my last job I ran a little tuck-shop on the side from a filing cabinet, selling crisps and chocolate from Tesco to my co-workers at cost, to save them from having to spend ridiculous amounts at the corner shop. At the end of the month, any left over profit was donated to a charity. Over 2 years of ordering 150/week's worth of junk food from Tesco, plus my own groceries, we had enough to buy flights to Tokyo for our honeymoon!

Of course this was also back in the day when there were way more vouchers for extra points around, so I could frequently top up the points. It meant we could fly direct to Tokyo with Virgin, rather than having to stopover a few times on cheaper airlines. Hurrah!
  • arubagirl
    • 23rd Jan 09, 6:07 PM
    Andover Tesco Recycling
    • 23rd Jan 09, 6:07 PM
    Yes, well done to the couple, you saw an opportunity to get something you really wanted for a really special day. Although by publicising it, a Tesco in Horwich didn't accept clubcards for recycling and they quoted the reason as being because of this couple. I now go to another Tesco to recycle and they seem to allow it, although I'm not sure if Horwich have now relaxed their position since this story first broke.

I can on one hand understand Tesco's position, it might encourage more than normal household recycling, but given that Tesco's are likely to get so much more from selling the plastic, cans etc they shouldn't really penalise people for in effect cleaning up the streets of recyclable items or should limit the amount to a normal household waste?
    Originally posted by Miss_Chilli
    Hi

We visited the Andover Tesco Recycling centre - they are now longer taking plastics and glass " due to misuse" does anyone know why.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,540Posts Today

7,177Users online

Martin's Twitter